SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-07, 01:23 AM   #1
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Real Medals v1.00

http://files.filefront.com//;7043715;;/

I couldn't get the crew medals to work with the crew interface but I changed the medals in the medals box and the citation. This is my first modding attempt so pm me with any issues. Hopefully I can get the crew stuff working and I will update v1.00.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 03:54 AM   #2
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Great. Watching this closely.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 07:59 AM   #3
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59

Thanks for this mod. Good work.
Barkhorn1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 09:45 AM   #4
Tieg
Seaman

Downloads: 1

This is awesome...just installed it and haven't had a chance to check it out due to going back to work (its lunch) but if it is what it is...outstanding. I cannot stand that dumb purple medal and as a guy who is currently active duty navy...the medals were a huge let down. I look forward to the mod that hooks up the crew as well...but beggars can't be choosy and they sure as h**l can wait
Old 03-27-07, 01:33 PM   #5
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Nice job! Hopefully we'll get the crew medal screen squared away in short order.
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 01:41 PM   #6
Tigrone
Commander

Thank you fullmetaledges

Very nicely done. I'm still learning all this stuff myself.

Fullmetaledges, a note on JSGME Mod installer. I am sorry, I noticed you nested "real_medals" inside of a duplicate folder. You will need to remove the nested duplicate for it to be able to work. Installing it in a "nest" will break the correct address chain. It often happens, because a nest folder is created by the zip ap that you use if you zip a folder rather than just its contents.

You created: real_medals_v[1].100\real medals v.100\data\Menu\Data
The JSGME address chain needs to be just: real_medals_v.100\Data\Menu\Data

That will work for install.

I notice the menu.text is just the SH3 one with some code strings added at the end. It also looks like they used some code lines from SH3 and the new ones added. That is going to make this a little more complex to locate the correct lines to mod. It may be hard to tell which lines are being read by the game.

I've a broom at the mast said he, for the broom is a sign for me, that wherever I go, I sweep the mighty sea.

Last edited by Tigrone; 03-27-07 at 02:06 PM.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:16 PM   #7
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrone
I notice the menu.text is just the SH3 one with some code strings added at the end. It also looks like they used some code lines from SH3 and the new ones added. That is going to make this a little more complex to locate the correct lines to mod. It may be hard to tell which lines are being read by the game.
This is the biggest problem I'm running into in regard to modding this game. Often there are two files - the SH3 one and the SH4 one, and there's no guarantee that SH4 will use the SH4 file. I expect the same will happen inside files too. It's very annoying. There must be a whole bunch of unused files and useless code clogging up the game.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 03:45 PM   #8
fullmetaledges
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrone
Very nicely done. I'm still learning all this stuff myself.

Fullmetaledges, a note on JSGME Mod installer. I am sorry, I noticed you nested "real_medals" inside of a duplicate folder. You will need to remove the nested duplicate for it to be able to work. Installing it in a "nest" will break the correct address chain. It often happens, because a nest folder is created by the zip ap that you use if you zip a folder rather than just its contents.

You created: real_medals_v[1].100\real medals v.100\data\Menu\Data
The JSGME address chain needs to be just: real_medals_v.100\Data\Menu\Data

That will work for install.

I just downloaded it again and I don't see a duplicate folder. If you place the real medals v.100 in the jgsme mods folder it should work it does on my machine. Maybe your seeing something that I am not. Beery feel free to take the files I altered and do whatever you want with them.
Old 03-27-07, 04:02 PM   #9
Tigrone
Commander

Then it's my unzip utilty 7z

Whem I unzipped I got a nested file, which is no biggy, I know to look. Must have been done by my 7z.

Last edited by Tigrone; 03-28-07 at 12:13 AM.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 06:11 PM   #10
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 46

I'm not getting nested top level folders, and I use 7-Zip too. Top two folders in the archive are...

real medals v.100 --> data

Just an FYI.
"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.
OneTinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 06:32 PM   #11
Tieg
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Echoing my first post in this thread...great mod. My only observation is that the importance of medals may be out of wack. I just finished my first patrol with the medal mod and recieved a Navy Cross for sinking around 60k of shipping which is about right historically. However, when it came time to give out medals to the crew I had 5 medal of honors to give out which is completely out of sorts. It took a lot historically to get a medal of honor and even then normally the medal of honor was given to the CO only and the exec might get a navy cross and so on and so on. If necessary I can give you an order of medals ranked on their importance if needed.

An classic example was the CO of the Albacore, Jim Blanchard, got a shot at the aircraft carrier, Taiho (31,000 tons). He had a problem with the TDC and fired his 6 forward tubes by "seaman's eye". He got one solid hit and recieved a severe depth charge. Meanwhile the Taiho carried on and eventually a error in damage control caused a severe explosion which sank the carrier 6-7 hours later. No one on board the sub or back at Pearl believed the carrier sank and Blanchard was given credit for damaging a "Shokaku-class" carrier. He was awarded a commendation ribbon and it was left at that. A few months later a POW claimed the carrier was in fact sunk and eventually it was confirmed. Blanchard's commendation was later updated to a Navy Cross.

The above sea story which came out of "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair Jr. gives you a little example on how the medals were given out. I'm sure you can't control how the medals are divied out for specific action but rather is based on tonnage/priority targets I would imagine. Even then the Medal of Honor should probably be ranked a bit higher then the navy cross or silver star.

Again though...thanks for making the game a little bitter in the eye candy department with the real medals vice the fake ones that are stock with the game.
Old 03-27-07, 06:35 PM   #12
fullmetaledges
Chief

i will try to find where it ranks the importance of the medals and adjust it i've only gotten 1 medal for all of my patrols and no crew medals so I wasn't aware of this. I think the file is in \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Cfg\medals.cfg but I can't make any sense of it.

Last edited by fullmetaledges; 03-27-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-27-07, 07:16 PM   #13
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges
Beery feel free to take the files I altered and do whatever you want with them.
Thanks. I'll plug it into RFB when I get the chance. I worked on these issues for RUb, and I really wish I could help you more on this stuff, but I've forgotten almost everything and I threw out my notes a while ago, thinking that SH4 would be nothing like SH3 - silly me, LOL.

- Missen.
Old 03-27-07, 07:24 PM   #14
Beery
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges
i will try to find where it ranks the importance of the medals and adjust it...
I think this used to be kept in Data\Cfg\basic.cfg. Where it is in SH4 is anyone's guess, but it may still be in basic.cfg.

- Missen.
Old 03-27-07, 09:23 PM   #15
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Uploads: 5

fullmetaledges, any success yet on finding/modifying the crew management screen medals?
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote