SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-07, 08:19 AM   #1
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] Old time radio entertainment station

XXXXXXXXXXX
not available anymore
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Version 2 is up.

Quote:
Radio station hollywood version 2

!!!!!!In order for this mod to work YOU MUST EDIT YOUR radio.ini FILE!!!!!!!

!!!!!!It absolutely WILL NOT WORK if you do not edit this file!!!!!!!!!!!

Old time radio in SH4! This mod has 90+ files of old time radio from the war years. Comedy, drama, and mystery, just tune in to either frequency 300 for Radio Hollywood or 310 for Radio Los Angeles on the 1st of every month at 20:00.

Each station will have a different broadcast, and both stations broadcast for the duration of the war.

In order for this mod to be compatible with other radio station mods, you must edit your own radio.ini file so that you don't overwrite it and kill other stations you may have added. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, THIS MOD WILL NOT WORK. You can find radio.ini in /data/sound/radio. Just open it with notepad and it can be edited.

One radio station originates in Hollywood, the other in Los Angeles, both will be heard anywhere on the map.

Simply copy the section below and paste it into your radio.ini at the bottom.

**********copy below ***********
;RADIO HOLLYWOOD MOD
;============================
[CHANNEL]
Name=Hollywood
Folder=Hollywood
Freq=300
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.09,-118.32:100000

[CHANNEL]
Name=Los Angeles
Folder=Los Angeles
Freq=310
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.05,-118.22:100000
;RADIO HOLLYWOOD MOD

***********copy above **********

If you already have a radio station in the radio.ini file with Freq=300 or 310 or you want different frequencies for whatever reason, just change the Freq= number to unused frequencies. Leave at least 10 unused frequencies in between stations. Frequencies range from 1 to 1000.

Once you have the radio.ini edited, you can install the mod either with JSGME or manually.

Please be aware that if you use JSGME to install this mod, it will double the size this mod takes up on your hard drive because JSGME keeps a backup of the mod files in the mod folder. This will cause the mod to take up about 1 gigabyte of space.

If you still want to use JSGME to install this mod, you still have to edit the radio.ini yourself. THIS MOD IS LARGE!!!!! IT COULD TAKE 2 MINUTES OR MORE TO ENABLE USING JSGME!!!!! BE PATITENT!!!

If you want to do it by hand and save space, 1st make sure you have edited the radio.ini in /data/sound/radio as specified above.

2nd, place the Hollywood folder in /data/sound/radio.

3rd, place the Los Angelese folder in /data/sound/radio.

That's all there is to it. Now all you have to do is turn on the radio on the 1st day of any month and tune into frequency 300 or 310 at 20:00. A different broadcast is made on each station on the 1st of every month at 20:00 for the entire war.

If you need to uninstall this mod, remove the [CHANNEL] entries you made in the radio.ini file located in /data/sound/radio and delete the Hollywood folder and Los Angeles folder located in /data/sound/radio.

* All audio files included were downloaded for free from

http://www.radiolovers.com/
http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/
http://www.stelzriede.com/warstory.htm
http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

-tedhealy from subsim.com forums
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DOWNLOAD FROM

Last edited by tedhealy; 06-27-07 at 10:51 AM.
tedhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 08:59 AM   #2
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Excellent work.
Old 03-25-07, 11:47 AM   #3
bunkerratt
Chief

thank you ...cool ..dl'n all 9 as i type...and really thank you for the options and explanation...this is going to be cool as hell ...
bunkerratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 11:55 AM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Faaantastic

Between CBS News, Radio Hollywood and Honolulu Radio, I don't think I'll ever get bored on patrol now

I'll probably max out ranges on all of them for now. When we have, say, corresponding Aussie and Japanese radio stations to tune into, it might make sense to limit the ranges more; for now I think it's fine to let all the American radio free :hmm:

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 02:41 PM   #5
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

I'm not quite sure what it is, but it seems like the ranges are roughly half of what I thought they should be. I'll have to test it some more and I'll upload a new readme/update that will just be a text file with the updated ranges.
Old 03-25-07, 03:18 PM   #6
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

The ranges for the station are a bit off because the radio.ini has them in kilometers, not nautical miles as I thought. Here is the updated readme.

edit: newer version available

Last edited by tedhealy; 03-27-07 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 10:21 PM   #7
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

I finally figured out ranges (I say for the nth time). Radio station ranges do not cross the international date line at 180 longitude. Any station to the east of the date line, say one originating in pearl, will not be heard to the west of the date line. That is why no matter what I was setting the range to, stations out of pearl would die at the same range.

The reason you can hear radio washington is because it is set so high, it actually gets you from the other side of the world and hits the date line from the opposite side.

here's how to set the range now,

1. This will get you full coverage of the globe like radio washington - 100000

[CHANNEL]
Name=Hollywood
Folder=Hollywood
Freq=38

2. This will kill the station at the date line, so the station won't be heard too far to the west of miday. Basically any number not large to have the station range go east around the world from Hollywood to get to the pacific will not be enough to make this station heard past the date line it would seem.

[CHANNEL]
Name=Hollywood
Folder=Hollywood
Freq=38
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.09,-118.32:9000

Last edited by tedhealy; 03-27-07 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-26-07, 08:53 PM   #8
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

After getting some extended time playing with this mod in action I've come to the conclusion that it has too much audio. With time compression on now and then you are listening to a 30 minute show for a month+. This just kills the start dates for upcoming shows. It's disappointing that the audio files do not continue on when you aren't listening. If they would then the backlog of audio wouldn't grow so large.

I think the best option for a second version of this mod would be to thin out the audio and only play one show a month. I'll try and find the best of the best, rescript them to only play the first of every month and reupload. It's a shame because there is a ton of good radio shows that will get cut, but this will cut the download size considerably.
Old 03-26-07, 11:33 PM   #9
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

First version has been taken down, I'll upload version 2 tonight. It will be half the size of the first one, about 550 MB.

The biggest change will be that it is now 2 different radio stations both playing a different show once a month on the 1st at 20:00.

NEW VERSION IS UP

http://hosted.filefront.com/tedhealy/

Here's the new readme

Quote:
Radio station hollywood version 2

!!!!!!In order for this mod to work YOU MUST EDIT YOUR radio.ini FILE!!!!!!!

!!!!!!It absolutely WILL NOT WORK if you do not edit this file!!!!!!!!!!!

Old time radio in SH4! This mod has 90+ files of old time radio from the war years. Comedy, drama, and mystery, just tune in to either frequency 300 for Radio Hollywood or 310 for Radio Los Angeles on the 1st of every month at 20:00.

Each station will have a different broadcast, and both stations broadcast for the duration of the war.

In order for this mod to be compatible with other radio station mods, you must edit your own radio.ini file so that you don't overwrite it and kill other stations you may have added. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, THIS MOD WILL NOT WORK. You can find radio.ini in /data/sound/radio. Just open it with notepad and it can be edited.

One radio station originates in Hollywood, the other in Los Angeles, both will be heard anywhere on the map.

Simply copy the section below and paste it into your radio.ini at the bottom.

**********copy below ***********
;RADIO HOLLYWOOD MOD
[CHANNEL]
Name=Hollywood
Folder=Hollywood
Freq=300

[CHANNEL]
Name=Los Angeles
Folder=Los Angeles
Freq=310
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.05,-118.22:100000
;RADIO HOLLYWOOD MOD

***********copy above **********

If you already have a radio station in the radio.ini file with Freq=300 or 310 or you want different frequencies for whatever reason, just change the Freq= number to unused frequencies. Leave at least 10 unused frequencies in between stations. Frequencies range from 1 to 1000.

Once you have the radio.ini edited, you can install the mod either with JSGME or manually.

Please be aware that if you use JSGME to install this mod, it will double the size this mod takes up on your hard drive because JSGME keeps a backup of the mod files in the mod folder. This will cause the mod to take up about 1 gigabyte of space.

If you still want to use JSGME to install this mod, you still have to edit the radio.ini yourself. THIS MOD IS LARGE!!!!! IT COULD TAKE 2 MINUTES OR MORE TO ENABLE USING JSGME!!!!! BE PATITENT!!!

If you want to do it by hand and save space, 1st make sure you have edited the radio.ini in /data/sound/radio as specified above.

2nd, place the Hollywood folder in /data/sound/radio.

3rd, place the Los Angelese folder in /data/sound/radio.

That's all there is to it. Now all you have to do is turn on the radio on the 1st day of any month and tune into frequency 300 or 310 at 20:00. A different broadcast is made on each station on the 1st of every month at 20:00 for the entire war.

If you need to uninstall this mod, remove the [CHANNEL] entries you made in the radio.ini file located in /data/sound/radio and delete the Hollywood folder and Los Angeles folder located in /data/sound/radio.

* All audio files included were downloaded for free from

http://www.radiolovers.com/
http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/
http://www.stelzriede.com/warstory.htm
http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

-tedhealy from subsim.com forums

Last edited by tedhealy; 03-27-07 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-27-07, 09:46 AM   #10
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

New version is up. Sorry to anyone that downloaded that 900MB beast of a first version. There was too much audio in the first one which probably would never get played unless you play at 1xTC most of the time. This one cuts a lot of that audio and gives you 2 stations to listen to. Each has a different playlist, but both will play their files on the 1st of every month at 20:00. Download link is in the first post.
Old 03-27-07, 10:34 AM   #11
castorp345
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 118

thanks ted!

castorp345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 12:05 PM   #12
bunkerratt
Chief

ty man...uninstalling v 1 and dl'n v2 copy/pasting the specs for ini as i type...ty again ..nice ....
bunkerratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 11:34 PM   #13
letterboy1
Captain

Downloads: 89

Thanks Ted! The radio was a surprise feature for me because I didn't keep up with feature discussions on the SH4 forums prior to release. I think that this and the Gramophone (once randomization is modded) are the biggest factors that help to alleviate the long patrol times. In fact, sometimes it's just plain relaxing to sit there and travel back in time while your boat chugs toward Midway amd the radio is playing WW2 era music/news/shows.
EVGA GTX Titan Black
1.5 T-byte HDD
Antec 1 KW True Power Quattro PS
letterboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 12:45 AM   #14
letterboy1
Captain

Downloads: 89

Juat wanted to be sure . . . in between those days there will be nothing on those stations?
EVGA GTX Titan Black
1.5 T-byte HDD
Antec 1 KW True Power Quattro PS
letterboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 01:33 AM   #15
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Yeah, roger on that relaxing trip back in time. Most of the comedy show included with this mod hold up very well in terms of humor(at least for me they do). The drama and mystery shows are usually pretty good too, if not a bit corny.