Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-07, 12:49 PM   #1
emtmedic005
Weps

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default World War Two History

~~~~Please make this a Sticky~~~~~

Anyone can post stories that their relatives have told them. Navy, Army or other.
emtmedic005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 12:51 PM   #2
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Sure can. When I get home I can add pictures and State Department records to boot.
Old 02-14-07, 12:55 PM   #3
emtmedic005
Weps

Does anyone have any files from the National Archive Fires? I know this is a lost cause cause i have asked my State's Senators to look into the matter and they both sent me letters saying that 80% of the files were destroyed and the rest are sealed.
Old 02-14-07, 12:57 PM   #4
Morts
Admiral

Downloads: 23

hey this thread was my idea
could atleast give me credit

hahahaha
just joking m8:rotfl: :rotfl:
Morts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 01:01 PM   #5
emtmedic005
Weps

I think a lot of people had an idea for a WW2 history sticky thread.
But since i was the first to propose it i get the rights to it, Patent pending...Patent Pending...Patent Pending, whos that guy...o he's one of the excons from the rodeo,, Marge how can you bring an excon here with my patent pending... hahaha I love the Simpsons

But i think that anyone that posts a WW2 story will be a founder of this thread.
Old 02-14-07, 01:09 PM   #6
Morts
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morts
someone should start a thread with war histories (WW2)
told by their grandparents/other
that would be really intresting
what do i spot there ?
i suggested it before you !
haha:rotfl:
Old 02-14-07, 01:12 PM   #7
Morts
Admiral

and here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...65&postcount=6

you just got served :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
j/k
Old 02-14-07, 01:29 PM   #8
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Well he made the thread didn't he...

So let's stop talking about the thread itself and start posting some cool stories...

- if this gets stickied, it should proabaly go to the general topics too.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 02:57 PM   #9
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Nooooooo not the general section
Thats depressing in there

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 03:31 PM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I could post a few from my father who served in the merchant navy in both the Spanish Civil War and WW2...he's 84 and still alive ....and yes...I'm extremely proud of him

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 06:12 PM   #11
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
...he's 84 and still alive ....
that's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmedic005

Anyone can post stories that their relatives have told them. Navy, Army or other.
I know my grandfather (father's side) and his oldest sons had to hide in the garden - in thick bushes - when the Germans where in town looking for men to send into slavery work in Nazi Germany. We live in the most southern tip of the Netherlands, only 35km from the German border.

My grandmother - mother's side - kept an English pilot hidden for quite some time...she hated the Nazi's with every nerve of her body.

Fortunately, this part of Holland was the 1st to be liberated, late '44...the biggest part of my country would have to suffer the horrible hunger-winter 44-45 first.

This image is from my hometown Meerssen, taken in Sept. '44. The town was only just liberated, and people were walking outside and celebrating, national flags everywhere.
What makes this image special, is the fact that it's taken by a German soldier, just before he quickly left the town...he was found dead several days later.

Last edited by Paajtor; 02-14-07 at 06:32 PM.
Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 08:28 PM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

This is the B-17 my Uncle was shot down in bombing Kiel. June 13 1943. He was going after the sub pens.

Captain Rawlinson. The only survivor from the Klo-Kay. He visited all the families of the crewmen after the war to let them know what happend to their boys. He was the only survivor of the Klo-Kay. Became a POW. Please read his account below.

What you have just read is the account of Capt Rawlinson from June 13 1943. My Uncle shown underlined above, Charles E Schultheis, was tailgunner this day. He was a pilot as noted in the text. The lead ship must have rated officers at all posts. My uncle got the tail position. Granted I could not speak with him I was able to get this information after years of searching. My mother was a great source as she had his wings and a locket he had sent to her when he arrived in Europe.

My other uncle. Edward Schultheis fought the war in the PTO. He is still alive but does not talk about the war. Only once did he describe working on the planes that used the carriers. He was also a torpedo mechanic. He has never flown in a plane since WW2 because he said all pilots are hotdogs and crazy.

Rawlinson claims the enemy fighter fire probably killed my uncle before the explosion. Rawlinson said he could feel the shells hitting his armor plate behind his seat.

Oddly enough, here I am playing a German u-boat game stationed in Kiel Germany.

The gentleman in the middle is my Uncle Charles or Chippie as my mother called him. I believe this B-17, Rainier, was his command but I have not gotten postive proof of this.
Old 02-14-07, 10:01 PM   #13
Finback
Electrician's Mate

Great story Warhawk! Thank You for sharing!

Salute!
They know who's gonna win this sim.

Finback
Finback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 10:34 PM   #14
flintlock
Ace of the Deep

Good story indeed. It's great to have such sentimental documents/items from the past.

flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 07:12 AM   #15
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

Cool story!

I guess I'll tell you about my Grandfather (father's side). He's still alive, 87 I think, and he only told me his stories a couple of years ago.

Picture:

He (Peter Kessler) was born in Volga Germany, a German Colony within Russia, on the banks of the Volga river, that was created by the German Tsarina Catherine the Great, back in the later 1700s.
Before the war, he worked for Aeroflot at his local airfield as an engine mechanic, where it was customary for mechanics to take the planes for test flights. He said it was fairly boring, since time was mostly spent waiting for the mail plane. He spent most of his in the movie theatre in town, an old woman would come running and get him when he was needed.
When the war broke out, all the men had to go and fight. Being Volga German, they refused his application for pilot, and he was drafted into the regular Red Army as a soldier. His uncle was a high ranking General, but he had the bad luck of being executed due to Stalin's paranoia.
The Civilian Volga German population was driven to the gulags in Siberia or Kazachstan.
My Grandfather went to fight on the front. As a russian soldier you were the lowest of the low. The officers treated them like dirt and there was a very clear segregation of the ranks. Often the soldiers would go without food because the officers had first pick. The conditions were appaling, the hospitals didn't have enough room, public buildings were used, often the injured were laid out on the floor to die.

Now, I can't remeber where or when, but at some point his unit was encircled and captured by the Germans. He, and any other Volga Germans defected there and then. The Germans weren't surprised, they'd already picked up numerous other Germans.
He was processed, and was first scheduled to join the Luftwaffe, but was ordered to stay on the eastern front instead. Because of his fluent Russian he was made section leader of about 10 native Russian defectors, and an Austrian signaller. Wearing russian uniforms, they had to make patrols behind enemy lines gathering intelligence. This was not without it's dangers of course. They talked and joked with the Russian soldiers as if they were their own, often gathering intelligence in this way. Complications often arose when crossing the battle lines, first shoot-outs with the KGB border guards, and then friendly fire from the Germans.
He told me of one incident where one of his men was blown up by a mine right next to him. His scouts and then himself had walked over the very same spot, only to have the guy behind him blow up.
At one point he was injured by grenade shrapnel in his back during a skirmish. He was operated on and sent back to Germany, where his wounds got infected. He was operated on again to remove the remaining shrapnel. He got a couple of months leave to recover, but he ran out of food vouchers in something like 2 weeks. He went to his CO and requested to go back to the front. His CO laughed and told him he must be crazy, and sent him to a foster family in the Austrian Alps for the rest of his leave. On the train there he somehow managed to start flirting with three girls independantly, all of whom found out in the end and got himself more than a slap in the face.
I need to get him to tell me his story in detail again. He met my Grandmother near the front I believe, who was a Russian forced labour worker under the Germans. During the closing stages of the War, it was imperative for all the Germans to head west as quickly as possible. No one wanted to have the war end by being captured by the Russians, so everyone high-tailed it to the Americans instead.

Many were not so lucky. My Grandfather on my mothers side was an artilleryman, who was captured by the Russians, and was lucky to have survived to be released a human skeleton in 1949.

Well, my Russian Grandfather made it to the opposite front, and managed to be captured by the Americans. After being processed fairly quickly, they (with my grandmother) went to luxembourg as refugees and lived with a local family. Two of my Aunts were born during this time. Finally they decided to leave Europe to begin a new life. Since they missed the ship to America and didn't feel like waiting another week, they decided on South America instead. They had initially decided on Brazil, but my Grandfather had made friends on the ship who were going to Argentina. When they arrived in Buenos Aires, their papers didn't check out, because they should have gotten off in Brazil. As a result they were denied the aid that all the other regugees were getting (I think my Grnadmother hasn't forgiven him till this day). They started in relative poverty, and had to build up thier lives from scratch, starting with a house built by my Grandfather's bare hands. My father was born in Argentina during this time, along with a handful more aunts and an uncle. The family moved to Germany in the mid/late 60s I think.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote