Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-07, 09:10 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default Spend it like Beckham

Did I hear Beckham is going to play in the US for $250 Million?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:10 AM   #2
fredbass
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I just heard that on the radio this morning.

Would somebody explain to me in simple terms how 250m is a worthy investment, because I just don't see it.
Old 01-12-07, 10:44 AM   #3
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is he worth $250 million? At least one analyst doesn't think so. The fact is that in this country (US) football (soccer as we call it) isn't seen as having enough testosterone to ever recieve the attention it does in other nations.

Quote:
There is some cause for doubt given Beckham's recent performance on the field. He made little mark on this summer's World Cup, then lost his captaincy of the English squad and eventually his starting position at Real Madrid. Yet while Beckham is aging — he is 31 — he is not over the hill, and arguably needs the lift that a solid stint in what is a growing league could give him. A show of good form on the field might get him back into the England squad in time for Euro 2008. He was reportedly bitterly disappointed to lose not only his captain's armband, but also his place in the revamped post-Germany squad.
Old 01-12-07, 10:46 AM   #4
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Becks earns GBP £70,000 per day!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...543676,00.html

For that amount of money I would expect him to find a cure for cancer and aids, end world hunger, bring world peace and end wars, solve our energy and enviromental woes, and so on.

And the guy is earning this playing for a crap club in the US because he is not good enough any more to play at the top level and will never ever play for his country again. This is the sporting golden handshake if I have ever seen one.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:59 AM   #5
bradclark1
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

From what I understand they are trying to use him as a billboard for American soccer. To get more peoples attention.
My guesstimation is with this makeing such huge news over here people are going to see if he is worth the bucks, hence a bigger audience and maybe interest will stick and bring more national interest to the game.
So it's kind of a large gamble for them.
bradclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:08 AM   #6
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradclark1
From what I understand they are trying to use him as a billboard for American soccer. To get more peoples attention.
My guesstimation is with this makeing such huge news over here people are going to see if he is worth the bucks, hence a bigger audience and maybe interest will stick and bring more national interest to the game.
He'll have celebrity the likes of Paris Hilton. Grab a lot of attention and do nothing.
Old 01-12-07, 11:12 AM   #7
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

What is being 'indirectly' paid for is the Beckham's image. Not only David but Posh aswell. As I understand that they are very popular across the pond.

You're right to say he's over the hill for the UK Prem but I think he's more than adequate for the US as Football (Soccer) is still in it's infancy there.

As for being a gamble, your right. However, I think it's a good one as he is an international name/face/star etc. and as a package together they are probably one of the most branded/labelled/photographed couples in the world.

It's still a lot of money - £43 per min.
Old 01-12-07, 11:15 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Probably not. American sports market is tight, different leagues have nicely arranged their season time tables with each other so that almost all year is covered, there is no room for another major sports league. It is not the first time US football tries to raise it's profile by inviting celebs to it'S stadiums, think of Pele or Beckenbauer. It did not pay off back then, it will not pay off this time. and yes, the fees these athlete entertainers today get payed are beyond all reason and beyond all good and evil. Ridiculous. Give them enough to live from it, and secure (on a modest and reasonable level) the future of their family after their active career, that would be fair. Plus a bonus for winning major events and tournamemnts. Problem is today all and everything is not tuned for serving it's purpose, but to create profits for business men that oftehn have nothing substantially to do with the issue, sports in this case. When Germany became world champion the first time in Bern, players were payed I think 50 or 100 bucks, and the pride and honour of having been called into the national team. After they won the title I think they got a car, or a refrigerator. Of that scale it was, and that was all.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:28 AM   #9
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Seems like a waste of money. American's don't care about soccer. (At least not anywhere near to the extent of the rest of yas.)
Old 01-12-07, 11:39 AM   #10
Dan D
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Did I hear Beckham is going to play in the US for $250 Million?
That is amazing news for the MSL, is not it? They sure have money and ambitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbass

... how 250m is a worthy investment, because I just don't see it.
Beckham is a pop icon with boy group factor 10 out of 10.
When you have Beckham in your team the merchandising sales begin to explode. Part of the investment is refinanced by that. Legions of young girls want to buy soccer shirts with his name on it, at least in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Let's see what happens in America.
So soon people will be wearing LA Galaxy shirts all across the world, if things go as planned.
For sure more people will go to the stadiums who want to see/meet/touch a pop star in real life.
Even gays who traditionally dislike the soccer scene, which is very macho and homophobic are beginning to talk about soccer since Beckham. Galaxy is from Los Angeles, no?

Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:54 AM   #11
bradclark1
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Even gays who traditionally dislike the soccer scene, which is very macho and homophobic are beginning to talk about soccer since Beckham.
Is Beckham AC/DC?
bradclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:57 AM   #12
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:
Even gays who traditionally dislike the soccer scene, which is very macho and homophobic are beginning to talk about soccer since Beckham.
Is Beckham AC/DC?
Only the sport is, and the fans are hooligans.
Old 01-12-07, 12:02 PM   #13
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waste gate
.....and the fans are hooligans.
That's very generalised!

The majority of football supporters are not but I will concede that there is a minority who like to cause trouble. Unfortunatly you only ever hear about the trouble caused in the media.
Old 01-12-07, 12:02 PM   #14
KevinB
Planesman

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Is Beckham AC/DC?
Well he did admit wearing Posh's nickers.
Besides, he said he is not doing it for the money,:rotfl:
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 01:43 PM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Are the Galaxy in the same soccer league as the Houston team? I might go to a match someday. It won't take the place of NFL football but it could be a fun diversion.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote