SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-11, 09:37 AM   #1861
andqui
Soundman

Downloads: 195
Uploads: 0

I have no idea about the difficulty involved, but maybe it would be possible to implement the U-tanker resupply feature for all friendly bases as well- especially in the Norwegian and Mediterranean operations, U-boats frequently made brief stops at other bases for a quick resupply.

thanks
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 12:55 PM   #1862
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
1. Is there anyone who has done this "fix" and gotten it to work successfully?

and

2. Could you communicate explicitly what you did in terms of editing?
To answer my own post, I edited only the NavalBase entries such that it said "U-" in front of what it used to say in the Campaing_SCR.mis file. I only did it for the NavalBase entries, as it seems that the other entries (such as for the Belchen Supply Ship) are actually calling for the type of ship that actually appears in-game. I tried it and it worked, refueling me and giving me two torps. I didn't have any sort of damage to repair, but I don't see any reason to assume that wouldn't have worked.

It seems that using the "U-Tanker fix" for the surface resupply is a reasonable method to maintain a realistic approach for this type of resupply as evidenced here. (h/t to mookiemookie) Hopefully, having it indicated on the map as "U-Belchen Supply Ship" won't be too annoying.

Finally, I would like to ask another question. This mod includes a set of indicators that updates the CO2 dial to an O2 dial. Unfortunately, this dial is not updated in the actual command room/zentrale (?). Can someone point me to the file where this dial is located? I can find all the other dials but that one.

Thanx in advance.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 02:56 PM   #1863
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
...Can someone point me to the file where this dial is located?...
cadrane1_2.tga
cadrane2.tga
cadrane_21.tga

They're included in interior .dat files [CR & CT]. It's the gauge in the lower left corner...
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 07:20 AM   #1864
Gammel
Commodore

Downloads: 276

@h.sie @stiebler
is there any chance som day you'll some of this magic here with the SH4.exe?
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 08:24 AM   #1865
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
cadrane1_2.tga
cadrane2.tga
cadrane_21.tga

They're included in interior .dat files [CR & CT]. It's the gauge in the lower left corner...
Thanx SSB. Now on to two more questions:

What is the font used for the numbers and letters printed on the dial?

and

In the supplemental O2 gauges, what does it actually have printed on the center of the O2 gauge? I can see O2, but I can't read what is underneath it, and when I zoom it, it just blurs out. I think it says "Genr. %," but I can't relate that to a German word to confirm it.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 09:00 AM   #1866
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Quote:
...What is the font used for the numbers and letters printed on the dial?...
Don't know for sure. Maybe 'Arial' [bold]?

Quote:
...I think it says "Genr. %," but I can't relate that to a German word to confirm it.
'Gew. %'

'Gew.' is the abbreviation of 'Gewicht' [english: weight].
Old 07-25-11, 08:53 AM   #1867
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Oxygen in U-boat

A while ago, there was a friendly argument in this thread about how long the oxygen supply in a U-boat lasted before it needed to be augmented with compressed air, and how long the compressed air supply lasted.

I have now received an answer from an officer who once served on U-boats, see here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=185993

His personal answer provides, I think, unique knowledge from a rare survivor with direct expereince.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 09:20 AM   #1868
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

I think here's something mixed up again.

IIRC the original question was 'how long lasts the content of these additional compressed oxygen cylinders?' [not compressed air - that's not the same!] to augment the O² percentage of breathable air.

Old 07-25-11, 01:51 PM   #1869
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Hsie,any news on next version???Also if you are not aware yet but if you dive under 40m to load torpedoes in bad weather you can then rise to surface and finish loading there.Finally,if you could possibly make all friendly ports able to refuel the sub.Would make going around the Jutland peninsula easier for a TypeIIa or any Uboat for that matter since you can run full speed and then refuel before heading out to sea.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 02:30 PM   #1870
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 404

That is a very interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
I think here's something mixed up again.

IIRC the original question was 'how long lasts the content of these additional compressed oxygen cylinders?' [not compressed air - that's not the same!] to augment the O² percentage of breathable air.

Stieblers' questions were:

Quote:

i) how long the oxygen in a U-boat lasted before it became necessary to add compressed air;
ii) how long the compressed air supply lasted before it became all used up
My reading of his translation is that the author seems to be talking about the use of compressed air only in relation to controlling depth.

He mentions that it was common to start adding oxygen after a few hours submerged, but makes no comment on how much oxygen a boat carried - instead he goes on to state that the battery charge, not oxygen, was the limiting factor in underwater endurance (maximum 18-20 hrs).

Stieblers' recommended oxygen settings for NYGM (2-inboat : 10-oxygen reserve) provide results in keeping with the authors comments. you start adding oxygen after about 4 hours submerged, but your oxygen supply is large enough that you would ordinarily not need to worry about running out in the course of a patrol.

P.S.
Tremendous things are being accomplished with this patch, Thankyou!

Last edited by Capt. Morgan; 07-25-11 at 02:42 PM.
Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 03:02 PM   #1871
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default Oxygen supply in U-boats

My questions to my friend were precisely these:

i) how long has the oxygen in a U-boat lasted before it became necessary to add compressed air;
ii) how long has the compressed air supply lasted before it became all used up
?

Perhaps I should have specified 'compressed oxygen' specifically too.
However, my friend is an intelligent man, and would certainly have written voluntarily of any information about a pure oxygen supply, if he knew of it. He volunteered a lot of other information.

Is there any definite information that U-boats carried pure oxygen?

Stiebler.

Old 07-25-11, 03:50 PM   #1872
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Thanks a lot for posting the answer from your friend, Stiebler

U-boats definitely carried compressed air and pure oxygen. See, e.g., here:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/DesignStudiesTypeIXC.htm

Also the original VIIC handbook in German gives detailed information about the amount of pure oxygen and compressed air.

It's amazing that there is hardly any detailed information available It seems one has to find a LI/Chief Engineer who is still alive and remembers the actual procedures (measuring CO2 and O2, regulating the ventilation system,...)

Regards, LGN1

Stiebler, from your friend's reply you can see what were the reasons why h.sie implemented the modified oxygen consumption when ordering 'silent running'. It's done to simulate the resting crew.
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 03:58 PM   #1873
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Is there any definite information that U-boats carried pure oxygen?
Oh yes, there is ... look here, from the VIIC manual, available at Uboatarchive.net:

Quote:
Oxygen flasks at 150 kg/cm² -------> 500 liters
This is the whole data and procedure, at pages 84 & 85:

Quote:

b) Safety equipment. High pressure air system, air volume at 205 atm: 3900 liters Oxygen renewal system, oxygen volume at 1 atm: 75000 liters Air purification system, sodium hydrate cartridges: 212 units
Here's the explanation of all the procedure:

b) Air purification system. The air purification system consists of: Purification system: removing CO2 by means of sodium hydroxide cartridges Renewal system: bleeding O2 from oxygen flasks. A man when breathing, creates 30 liters/hour of CO2 and needs the same amount of O2. The air purification system maintains the CO2 content at 1.5% level and O2 content at 17.5%. CO2 content above 2% is injurious. The estimation of time, when 1.5% CO2 content in 400 m³ of air in the boat will be reached: 37 men creates per hour: 37 x 30 x 100/400000 = 0.28% CO2 / hour So 1.5% CO2 content will be reached after 5 hours 20 minutes. The measurement of CO2 and O2 concentration is made by means of Orsat devices, first time after 4 hours of submerged cruise. Moreover there are CO2 sampling tubes to detect carbon dioxide content above 1.5%.
Air purification
3 air purifiers are used for air purification connected to exhaust air duct, located as follows: In the aft torpedo and E motor room In the control room In the forward torpedo room Each air purifier consists of 4 sodium hydroxide cartridges.The air from the compartment is withdrawn through an air exhaust duct through the air purifier and purified air is returned by an air intake duct. The regulating valve allows adjustment of the amount of air passing through the purifier. When adjusting, the amount of passing air should be kept as low as possible to avoid warming the cartridges, because in this case, the cartridges don't reach their full efficiency. Ventilation capacity is: In the 1st hour – 350 liters/hour In the 2nd hour – 400 liters/hour In the 3rd hour – 450 liters/hour
Air renewal
Air renewal takes place, when the oxygen content drops below 17.5%. 10 oxygen flasks are provided, with capacity 50 liters each at a pressure of 150 atm. These flasks are located as follows:
E motor room 1 flask Diesel engine room 2 flasks Control room 4 flasks Forward torpedo room 3 flasks
The main manifold, to which all flasks are connected, has a branch from the control room to the upper deck, which is used for filling the flasks with oxygen. Oxygen can be supplied through connecting pipes to the air exhaust duct and added to circulating air or bled directly into the compartments of the boat. Regulating valves installed in the connecting ducts and in the end of branch leading to the conning tower, which allow adjusting the oxygen feed rate depending on crew numbers. The stored oxygen and sodium hydroxide cartridges enable the crew of 37 men, to remain continuously submerged for 72 hours.
Old 07-26-11, 01:05 AM   #1874
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@LGN1, Hitman:

Thanks very much for these detailed accounts of pure oxygen carried on board U-boats.

It appears, then, that my friend has forgotten this aspect of U-boat life. Not surprising, I suppose, after the passage of more than 65 years.

Stiebler.
Old 07-26-11, 03:24 AM   #1875
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Hi Folks !

@ Stiebler
@ Hitman
@LGN1
@ h.sie
or other that know this !

In regarding to V15G2 and this...

Quote:
O2-Supply-Mod:
a) Since there was some disagreement regarding diving-times, Stieblers Options-Selector now contains 2 Sliders for individually fine-adjusting the diving-times resulting from the renewable and non-renewable oxygen component. Leave them unchanged at their default-values (1,0), if you are satisfied with the diving-times adjusted by LGN1 and me. Choose e.g. a factor of 2,0 in order to double the diving-time. For NYGM, Stiebler recommends values of 2.0 (renewable supply) and 10.0 (non-renewable supply, bottled air).
After the discuss: What "slider settings" would you recommend that it is realistic?

I want to play at maximum realismus, so should I leave them unchanged by 1,0 or would you recommend another value (for both slider-settings) ?

Thx for answers guys !

Best regards,
Magic

Last edited by Magic1111; 07-27-11 at 06:03 AM.
Magic1111 is offline   Reply With Quote