SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-13, 12:13 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Nominations are open. Please be sure to read and understand the

Guidelines
Nominees have to be active members at the time of nomination.
You cannot nominate yourself (duh).
Threads and posts nominated should have begun in 2013.

Format - VERY IMPORTANT!
When you post a nomination, you must include:
The category you are nominating for (Post of the Year, Modder of the Year, etc.)
The name of the nominee (correctly spelled).
The contents of his post or thread in QUOTES. Don't simply say, "He said this" and a link, include at least part of his post.
A link to the post or thread. For sigs, post the image.
Include your reason for the nomination, why you think it deserves an award.

Voting for BOS categories Dec 15, 2013

Throughout this year, if you come across a post or thread that you think is really noteworthy, post a link, the quote, and your argument. This way we can summarize the whole year easily come this December.

Note: Don't post something every day/week, make sure you feel sure that when you post, it will be a worthy candidate for Best Poster, Best Thread, Most Helpful Member, etc. I am not trying to dissuade you from posting what you think is a good candidate, but we don't want 300 nominations for each category. If we end the year with 25~40 each, that would be best.

Please keep this particular forum on-topic at all times, so it's easier to sort through down the road.
Old 02-03-13, 12:05 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

FINALLY!!! I've waited more than a month for this!

This post is from last year, but it was made after the 2012 awards were finalized, so it counts.

Most Helpful Member:

PISCES

Quote:
1: What you might be missing with the stock game, with regard to the Nav-map and targeting, is the cursor tool when drawing lines. (see 2nd and 3rd image in the Hunt tutorial.) Or a big plotting grid image replacing your Uboat icon on the map. (see this video tutorial) I think these things weren't part of stock SH3. But they are very helpfull tools. Almost indispensible,... but I'm a mapdrawing-nerd. So I created this little mod to be able to point lines, waypoint legs, circle radi, and protractor legs in whichever compass-direction I want. I never used the big Uboat Icond replacing plotting grid as it was a major toll on my first computer. But I'm sure some versions of it are also in the Subsim Downloads section (like this, but it is old, and not completely JSGME-ready)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=12

Why? It just strikes me as the perfect example of going out of the way to help a member in need. The extra measure. The extra mile. All that is best with Subsim. Any more cliches?
Old 02-06-13, 04:06 PM   #3
Illyustrator
中国水兵

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 1
Default Mod/Modder of the Year:

Hi, Captains.

Mod/Modder of the Year: Trevally.
Quote:
This mod is free for download and use by any member of Subsim or owner of SH5
Please post a comment if you enjoyed it.
Thanks - Trevally
Open Horizons II ...and other mods.

I sincerely believe, that Trevally deserves the title of "Best of SUBSIM". He was unjustly forgotten SUBSIM Community. When polled in 2012. From the first day of registration, Trevally actively participates in the forum. Helps "young Captains" in the decision of problems. And, most importantly, bears "on the shoulders" Mod Open Horizons II and other mods. It is imperative to correct this unfortunate misunderstanding.
Award "Best of SUBSIM", must find a Hero!

Best Regards!
Old 02-16-13, 10:44 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

The category: Thread if the Year
The name of the nominee (correctly spelled). Armistead
The contents of his post or thread in QUOTES.
Quote:
Do you have issues, need a good dose of online Prozac, then this is the thread for you. Discuss your physical, emotional, marital, sexual, general life issues with Dr. Steve of Subsim. Come on in, lay on the couch, knowing you won't be judged here for being you.

Who will be first, who has a question for Dr. Steve O.L.D.
A link to the post or thread. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200694

I feel this thread should be considered for a Best of Subsim on several levels. First, it is the good-natured type of stuff that encourages participation by many members. Second, it gives our Sailor Steve a real chance to shine and show his wit. Which he does, quite well and consistently! And that leads to the third reason I nominate this thread--it is funny and gives me something to look forward to each day. I've gotten a few guys at my job hooked on this thread and they don't know a submarine from a bed spring. The year is still young but I think this thread could be in the running come autumn.
Old 02-16-13, 11:25 PM   #5
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post

The category: Thread if the Year
The name of the nominee (correctly spelled). Armistead
The contents of his post or thread in QUOTES.

A link to the post or thread. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200694

I feel this thread should be considered for a Best of Subsim on several levels. First, it is the good-natured type of stuff that encourages participation by many members. Second, it gives our Sailor Steve a real chance to shine and show his wit. Which he does, quite well and consistently! And that leads to the third reason I nominate this thread--it is funny and gives me something to look forward to each day. I've gotten a few guys at my job hooked on this thread and they don't know a submarine from a bed spring. The year is still young but I think this thread could be in the running come autumn.

I'll second that nomination. I was coming here to nominate it but I see it has already been done.
Old 02-17-13, 06:00 AM   #6
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Caregory: Most Helpful Member
Name: Skybird

Example Thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200775

I'd like to nominate Skybird because if you venture over to the Helo and Flightsim thread, there are posts littered with alot of his help. Very courteous and non arrogant when it comes to stupid questions as well. I mean, I'm not trying to be biased because he helped me in my own thread, but litterally most of the 109 posts are questions from me and clear conscise answers from him, detailed as well. Very very helpful member if you ask me.

Old 03-14-13, 03:01 PM   #7
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Poster of the Year: Hottentot

Hottentot is regularly one of the most insightful, humorous and polite individuals on the forum. He also writes the best reviews and AARs of general games around, doing a great service to the community. An all around good guy and possessing a top-notch intellect, he is exactly the type of member that SubSim should celebrate. See below for examples.

Review:

Quote:
While waiting for opportunity to write another AAR, I decided to amuse myself and you with another review. I'm a somewhat sucker for good game sales, and Miasmata happened to be heavily discounted on GOG not too long ago. Having played it a while now and thinking it might be something of interest for sim players, I was actually a little surprised to learn there was no thread about it yet. So here we go.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202856

AAR (Serious)

Quote:
The concept seems cool. The demo only had three survivors instead of the full game's five, but I already liked how their relationship with each other changes the gameplay. Though It feels a little exaggerated that they all pretty much hate each other: when you are one of the only survivors after the zombie apocalypse, you'd think it would be smart for a while to at least try working with the others and not hating them just because they happen to be, you know, women or black.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202205

AAR (Humorous)

Quote:
Sooo: time for another AAR then, finally! You've heard the story before: one that I have been meaning to start for ages already and only now found enough time and inspiration for it, as well as a rare moment in my life when I'm not distracted by anything else (*cough*reviews*cough*). In fact, the roots of this AAR go back to a post I wrote (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=11) last year and which Oberon and Betonov then continued (and it was Betonov's post that started it in the first place). Therefore credit to where credit is due and thank you both for sparking the idea.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=203012

I posted quotes as per regulation, but you really need to read the threads in their entirety to appreciate this man's true genius.
Old 08-10-13, 09:06 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Nominations are open. Please be sure to read and understand the

Guidelines
Nominees have to be active members at the time of nomination.
You cannot nominate yourself (duh).
Threads and posts nominated should have begun in 2013.

Format - VERY IMPORTANT!
The category you are nominating for (Post of the Year, Modder of the Year, etc.)
The name of the nominee (correctly spelled).
The contents of his post or thread in QUOTES. Don't simply say, "He said this" and a link, include at least part of his post.
A link to the post or thread. For sigs, post the image.

Voting for BOS categories Dec 15, 2013

Throughout this year, if you come across a post or thread that you think is really noteworthy, post a link, the quote, and your argument. This way we can summarize the whole year easily come this December.

Note: Don't post something every day/week, make sure you feel sure that when you post, it will be a worthy candidate for Best Poster, Best Thread, Most Helpful Member, etc. I am not trying to dissuade you from posting what you think is a good candidate, but we don't want 300 nominations for each category. If we end the year with 25~40 each, that would be best.

Please keep this particular forum on-topic at all times, so it's easier to sort through down the road.
Most helpful:
Admiral FIFi : He is always responsive to queries, consistently online, technically proficient and his mods list is straightforward-in correct order, always improving and immediately available to the exploring nubs looking for wisdom in uncharted waters. And he can do it in Spanish with a mod for Vigo Bay, saving me a trip back to lLa Rochelle for resupply. As a computer dyslexic new guy myself, his advice is is among the top five that I routinely search out and follow in the Subsim fleet with confidence.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-16-13, 03:33 AM   #9
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Mod of the Year:

TDW's Generic Patcher for SH 5.

Brilliant work by arguably the most knowledgable and gifted modder here on subsim.

The tool is amazing and allows the player to patch out bugs left in by Ubisoft, which inturn allows for much better gameplay, both in realism and functionality.

Of course this is not its only function.

For further reading on Generic Patcher, go here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...81433&page=184

Well done TDW, and thank you for your brilliant contributions

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Old 09-09-13, 12:13 PM   #10
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

HunterICX for funniest post of the year ...

why is because it speaks for itself

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
Syria conflict: 'Chemical attacks kill hundreds'

HunterICX post #1020

Old 09-17-13, 09:45 AM   #11
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Funnest post of the year..BossMark
Thread Heartless Tories strike again
Post Number 2289

Quote:
The Tory Government has announced that benefit cheats will now be dealt with as harshly as fraudulent bankers.

I'm not sure giving them Knighthoods is the right way to go.
One of the funnest posts I have read to date. A Witty sarcastic post with a underline message.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-01-13, 05:28 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Post Of The Year: GoldenRivet.
Thread: Is It Wrong (General Topics)

Sublime explanation of the odds for and against relationships with wide age differences. Says what many of us would like to, but better than most of us can.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=61
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=64

[edit] I originally copied post #64, then realized my mistake. I left it up because #61 and #64 really can be taken as a whole.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 10-01-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 05:49 PM   #13
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Title: Modder of the Year.
Nominee: makman94
Thread: [REL] M.E.P v4.2 ( ManosEnvironmentPro -version4 )
Reason: Made, probably, one of the most used environmental mods out there.
Closed Thread