SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-21, 05:06 AM   #3241
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Great to hear the information on "high noon", Thx the team to keep this mod improving

Here i report another issue, when i upgrade SJ-1 radar to ST radar in a Balao class, the ST is not working, can not turn it on. But ST parts are already in the equipments list.

And from external camera, the periscope head is not correct. The periscope head with ST radar should be "longer".

flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 07:07 AM   #3242
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Need some details. How did you get the Balao, where are you based at (I see a lot of ships in the background), is this an automatic upgrade, or did you purchase it? Your periscope shears look odd also. What is your mod list - do you have any other mods on top of FotRSU?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-21, 07:47 AM   #3243
flaminus
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Need some details. How did you get the Balao, where are you based at (I see a lot of ships in the background), is this an automatic upgrade, or did you purchase it? Your periscope shears look odd also. What is your mod list - do you have any other mods on top of FotRSU?
Mod list:
FotRSU 1.46
Fleetboat interior for 1.46
Nippon Maru 1.21
my own mod(only incease the start renown to 2000 to test those purchases)
============
I start a new career in fall 1944 with a balao. Base is Midway. I just start and end partol a few times to pass the time. Then I purchase a ST radar when it's available. As you saw, there is a task force docking at midway at that day.
The exact time is shown below:

Last edited by flaminus; 05-11-21 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 08:47 AM   #3244
propbeanie

As all of my medical doctors are fond of saying when doing their examinations and debating in their minds as to what the root cause of malady is: "hmmm, intersting", as they rub their beards or scratch their heads...

Can you do me a favor and make a copy of your Save folder, zip it up and post it somewhere for me to look at please?

Edit: The Officer's Country does not have any changes to the UnitParts files, and everything I have says that the ST is not available until 1945-01-01... I am trying to figure out how you had it available in November... having to dig into those other equipment files, which are not my forte to say the least...

... and, I do see in the UpgradePacks that it is available for 800 Renown from 12 October 1944 to 14 November 1944, and 200 points after that until 1st January, 1945 when it is then standard issue... Your boat does have the Improved SJ-1 on it, correct?

... I think I see the issue... the different pieces of the dummy radar puzzle do not match. It all goes along with the periscope head, which is part of the "packaage" that you purchase, so that is what has me stymied for now, as to why the periscope is not mounting... it looks like it is properly listed in the compartment, but I'll have to dig into it later. It looks like this issue probably applies to all boats with a similar set-up to the Balao... Suffice to say though, that after 1st January 1945, whether an upgrade in-base, or a new start, it does function properly...

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-11-21 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Further findings
Old 05-12-21, 08:24 AM   #3245
propbeanie

Regarding the ST radar in FotRSU (which btw, was made operational by CapnScurvy, and is not in the Stock game nor TMO) - I am reasonably certain that I have found the issue, and I don't think we can fix the problem the way we want. Getting an ST radar early is not physically possible with the way the conning towers are set-up versus the way the submarine hulls are set-up. They each have a Slot for either the Observation periscope, ~OR~ the Observation periscope with ST radar to "sit" in - not both. They seem to be mutually exclusive, and do not seem to be able to mix. You currently can purchase the ST radar and head for the conning tower in FotRSU v1.46 and the previous version, but there is no provision to purchase the Slot that the ST periscope sits in in the submarine hull itself, which is why neither the ST nor the SJ functions when you purchase it early. We will remove the early purchase option from the mod. If we can come up with a way to get the hull Slot to update when the conning tower option is purchased, but still allow the regular Observation Periscope to function for those that do not purchase the ST, then we'll put it back in - but don't hold your breath. The ST and SJ both operate if obtained through the normal "upgrade" process, and become functional January 1, 1945 in most submarines.

Old 05-12-21, 09:42 AM   #3246
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Regarding the ST radar in FotRSU (which btw, was made operational by CapnScurvy, and is not in the Stock game nor TMO) - I am reasonably certain that I have found the issue, and I don't think we can fix the problem the way we want. Getting an ST radar early is not physically possible with the way the conning towers are set-up versus the way the submarine hulls are set-up. They each have a Slot for either the Observation periscope, ~OR~ the Observation periscope with ST radar to "sit" in - not both. They seem to be mutually exclusive, and do not seem to be able to mix. You currently can purchase the ST radar and head for the conning tower in FotRSU v1.46 and the previous version, but there is no provision to purchase the Slot that the ST periscope sits in in the submarine hull itself, which is why neither the ST nor the SJ functions when you purchase it early. We will remove the early purchase option from the mod. If we can come up with a way to get the hull Slot to update when the conning tower option is purchased, but still allow the regular Observation Periscope to function for those that do not purchase the ST, then we'll put it back in - but don't hold your breath. The ST and SJ both operate if obtained through the normal "upgrade" process, and become functional January 1, 1945 in most submarines.
nice job researching this.
it made my head hurt just reading the description.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 12:36 PM   #3247
flaminus
Sparky

Quote:
Nice researching! Maybe we can temporarily fix that problem by editing save files, before next release.
Old 05-12-21, 12:45 PM   #3248
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

TMO Tench Class does have ST radar. When raise scope its like raising SJ antenna, except for whatever reason contacts do not show up on PPI or A scope but radar operator reads the contacts bearing range and if map contacts are onwill show on map.

That'd be great if could figure it out as an upgrade. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought ST was on the attack scope, which was the point, provide quick and accurate ranges for attacks.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 01:13 PM   #3249
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
nice job researching this.
it made my head hurt just reading the description.
It gave me a "worser" headache finding it! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Nice researching! Maybe we can temporarily fix that problem by editing save files, before next release.
I am not certain that submarine info is in the Save files... You would be looking for and having to change "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 4.EquipmentSlot 7" from "ObsPeriscope" to "ObsPeriscopeST", as well as the dates associated with that Slot. Several of the UPC files are combined into one in the Save folder, so it may very well be in there. You could try "ObsPeriscope" as a Search term and see if you find it buried in there somewhere, and the date should show as 1945-01-01 and has to made earlier. But if you don't have ST radar and do that, it still ruins the SJ and turns everything off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
TMO Tench Class does have ST radar. When raise scope its like raising SJ antenna, except for whatever reason contacts do not show up on PPI or A scope but radar operator reads the contacts bearing range and if map contacts are onwill show on map.

That'd be great if could figure it out as an upgrade. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought ST was on the attack scope, which was the point, provide quick and accurate ranges for attacks.
It's on the Observation scope in FotRSU. The one thing I remember about early implementations of it in TMO (they never did turn it on in Stock) was that when you attempted to use the Observation Night periscope with the ST up top, your view "spun" and you could not use the periscope. The upgrade itself in FotRSU works fine.

It's the early purchase for renown points that flaminus ran into issues with. You can purchase the package fine, which is the "dummy" radar for the conning tower in the UnitPartsXSubName.upc, which includes the periscope head, the radar app, and the radar antenna. However, the periscope head needs the periscope shaft, as noted above, which is in the SubName.upc file. You cannot link the two together in a "purchase" that I can see. But the dates for both files change on December 31, 1944 and January 1, 1945, which is why the upgrade works...

Old 05-12-21, 01:36 PM   #3250
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
It gave me a "worser" headache finding it! lol

I am not certain that submarine info is in the Save files... You would be looking for and having to change "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 4.EquipmentSlot 7" from "ObsPeriscope" to "ObsPeriscopeST", as well as the dates associated with that Slot. Several of the UPC files are combined into one in the Save folder, so it may very well be in there. You could try "ObsPeriscope" as a Search term and see if you find it buried in there somewhere, and the date should show as 1945-01-01 and has to made earlier. But if you don't have ST radar and do that, it still ruins the SJ and turns everything off...

It's on the Observation scope in FotRSU. The one thing I remember about early implementations of it in TMO (they never did turn it on in Stock) was that when you attempted to use the Observation Night periscope with the ST up top, your view "spun" and you could not use the periscope. The upgrade itself in FotRSU works fine.

It's the early purchase for renown points that flaminus ran into issues with. You can purchase the package fine, which is the "dummy" radar for the conning tower in the UnitPartsXSubName.upc, which includes the periscope head, the radar app, and the radar antenna. However, the periscope head needs the periscope shaft, as noted above, which is in the SubName.upc file. You cannot link the two together in a "purchase" that I can see. But the dates for both files change on December 31, 1944 and January 1, 1945, which is why the upgrade works...

Spin was corrected last time I checked in v 2.5, have only used Tench class a few time sover the years. I will check again to make sure though. That is great you guys have it available as an upgrade for other boats, something else to add to my list lol. Yet another oversight by UBI not implementing it into the game.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 03:55 PM   #3251
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: 'High Noon" & no, I ain't referring to the show or movie..

Ahoy FotRS team...

Was just wondering, if there was any status update about the occurrence of 'High Noon' that I ran into...

Just wondering, as I would love to see of getting back to My career in v1.46, if at all possible... but, if with the solution calls for a complete wipeout of that career, it will be painful.. but I can deal with it if called for.

I've held off for now, on dinking about with v1.46 & have gone back to the career I have with the v1.39 set up in the mean time.

Last I know of, iirc was that y'all had figured out the how & why, I believe.. of what led up to it happening.. but no mention if you were or are able to craft a solution to fix said issue.

Any words of encouragement (if there are any to be had... that is... ) would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

No rush, just wondering..

M. M.

Old 05-12-21, 08:26 PM   #3252
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy FotRS team...

Was just wondering, if there was any status update about the occurrence of 'High Noon' that I ran into... ...
Quote:
... As for the traffic, I have never had issues with finding things in FotRSU. Now, back when I did TMO / RSRDC, I did encounter several frustratingly boring patrols where I took to shooting up Sampans and fishing boats in attempts to have something come after me... but that was RSRDC and it's "historical" levels. Don't forget now, that we had complaints in previous versions about the sonar being too good when on the surface, so you will not get good reception when moving usually, but it does vary by boat. It is generally a good idea to take a dip every once in a while, at least to PD and check your sixes as you do it. Unfortunately, "testing" does not allow for but a few patrols each release, due to time constraints, but we'll definitely attempt to find something that can cause us to encounter similar. After all, after enough details from the players of FotRSU, we did finally find the cause of the stuck gauges, which is one of those issues that only applies to certain player submarines, after encountering certain IJN AI submarines, and only under certain conditions... needless to say, we do desire all input.
There are several other comments prior to page 215 concerning the issue. All systems still function on your boat, you just do not get the feedback from the gauges in the boat. The HUD display does function, and the sonar does function, you just will not see confirmation of such on the sonar display either (they're gauges), except in its little notepad. The conning tower gauges are stuck also, btw... When you get back to port and dock to terminate your patrol, it should all re-set, as previously stated. You could consider this like a mechanical issue encountered with your boat while on patrol, that makes the life of the skipper more difficult, but he has to decide whether it is worth the eight (or more) day trip back to base to fix something broken... suppose you have HORS engines, with one of them down, and now have to baby the other three. Some skippers stayed out, others came back in.

The issue will hopefully be fixed for the next release. It ends up being two AI submarines that were causing the trouble. The Kaidai4 had a configuration issue with one line out of thousands that had a typo in it from who knows when, and the Jyunsen1, which was sharing a conning tower skin with the Kaidai4, which usually isn't bad, except it was using the same node ID number, which is a conflict, and would then pollute the Jyunsen Type 1 with Kaidai 4 issues... Incorporated into the "fix" is a rebuild of most of the AI subs into integrated wholes with the hull and conn, ala ETR3(SS)'s technique and guidance. Kudos to ETR3(SS) and his template for this.

What we have done for testing the "fix" is to set all of the games AI subs before the players' sub(s) (one player sub at a time), "target" the AI subs, shoot at them, while a B-24 squadron and a B-25 squadron come along and bomb and strafe the rest of them, then change course and Crash Dive in the player sub and then hit the TC as fast as I can in the middle of all of that, and get to 2048, then hit ESC and save under those conditions - not recommended, btw. Exit the game and then restart and restore the Saved game. If the gauges are at noon, try again. s7rikeback is going over another set of files I edited and doing quadruple & quintuple checks on my triples, and making certain I didn't create any new ID conflicts, and when he is finished, we'll do another build and another set of tests. Once this is finished, then we'll move on to the next set of proposals and / or trouble and work on that / them. We do already have other fixes and some additions and surprises for the mod, and we have more. We would then release the next version after testing the whole. Right now, v1.5, but we might skip that number for "clarity"...

Now, go out there and be more aggressive!

Old 05-12-21, 09:46 PM   #3253
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
There are several other comments prior to page 215 concerning the issue. All systems still function on your boat, you just do not get the feedback from the gauges in the boat. The HUD display does function, and the sonar does function, you just will not see confirmation of such on the sonar display either (they're gauges), except in its little notepad. The conning tower gauges are stuck also, btw... When you get back to port and dock to terminate your patrol, it should all re-set, as previously stated. You could consider this like a mechanical issue encountered with your boat while on patrol, that makes the life of the skipper more difficult, but he has to decide whether it is worth the eight (or more) day trip back to base to fix something broken... suppose you have HORS engines, with one of them down, and now have to baby the other three. Some skippers stayed out, others came back in.

The issue will hopefully be fixed for the next release. It ends up being two AI submarines that were causing the trouble. The Kaidai4 had a configuration issue with one line out of thousands that had a typo in it from who knows when, and the Jyunsen1, which was sharing a conning tower skin with the Kaidai4, which usually isn't bad, except it was using the same node ID number, which is a conflict, and would then pollute the Jyunsen Type 1 with Kaidai 4 issues... Incorporated into the "fix" is a rebuild of most of the AI subs into integrated wholes with the hull and conn, ala ETR3(SS)'s technique and guidance. Kudos to ETR3(SS) and his template for this.

What we have done for testing the "fix" is to set all of the games AI subs before the players' sub(s) (one player sub at a time), "target" the AI subs, shoot at them, while a B-24 squadron and a B-25 squadron come along and bomb and strafe the rest of them, then change course and Crash Dive in the player sub and then hit the TC as fast as I can in the middle of all of that, and get to 2048, then hit ESC and save under those conditions - not recommended, btw. Exit the game and then restart and restore the Saved game. If the gauges are at noon, try again. s7rikeback is going over another set of files I edited and doing quadruple & quintuple checks on my triples, and making certain I didn't create any new ID conflicts, and when he is finished, we'll do another build and another set of tests. Once this is finished, then we'll move on to the next set of proposals and / or trouble and work on that / them. We do already have other fixes and some additions and surprises for the mod, and we have more. We would then release the next version after testing the whole. Right now, v1.5, but we might skip that number for "clarity"...

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 10:14 PM   #3254
propbeanie

- it was imitrex until insurance quit covering it... lol

Old 05-13-21, 04:15 AM   #3255
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:

Ahoy, propbeanie.. & s7rikeback, as well...

Appreciate the explain there.. will restart back with the career I have with v 1.46 & do My best.. as can be, with the gauge issues, to fluff out the rest of patrol 1.. then hot foot it for port.. & see if everything does indeed.. 'reset' as it goes with the gauges. & proceed from there. As much as I like tonnage from IJN subbie's... think I will in the future, just avoid them for now.. at least those 2 particular ones.. which probably won't sit well with the boys on the boat.. (think like what 1 was it.. the movie where that 1 skipper had his sub shot out from under him by Bungo Pete... ) but.. they'll get over it after I run them ragged with dive & torp drills...

Any way, appreciate the update on that issue.

Will look forward to the next upgrade to FotRS-U-EN.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-14-21 at 01:04 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote