SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-21, 10:06 AM   #1
ffllebrez
Nub

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Error at open SH4

I have installed SH4 (original DVD + v1.1+ v1.2+v1.4+v1.5) in C:\Ubisoft\..., I have JSGME2.6.0 and when I start SH4 I get an error when trying to load the software (the red line of loading starts to advance and halfway through the error occurs).
I attach the type of error it gives me, can anyone help me on it? Any ideas?

system:
Windows 8.1 Pro
16GB RAM
Intel Core I7 3.40GHz
HP 27" 1920x1080 screen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4 error.jpg (54.5 KB, 18 views)
ffllebrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 11:38 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

ffllbrez! after an 11 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-16-21 at 03:28 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 01:21 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Hi there ffllebrez! This has become a rather common issue with the 'modern' computer hardware. I don't know as I've seen anyone with Windows 8.1 experience this, but... First of all, from what I remember, if you have the v1.5 UBoat Missions AddOn, you don't need to use any of the other patches to come up to v1.4 prior to applying the v1.5. Just install the disk, and then apply the v1.5 of the game. Don't worry about that now. One question concerning the install though, is did you install the DirectX v9.0c and the Codecs from the game's install menu? If not, you do need to install those, even though you might have DirectX v12 on your computer, it does not have the required library files that SH4 wants to use.

Next, the "Properties" of the SH4.exe have to be set to "talk" with the computer OS and hardware properly. While in the game folder, select the "SH4.exe" file, and right-click on it. A context menu will be displayed. Left-click on the bottom "Properties" choice there. Once the dialog opens, click on the "Compatibility" tab, and edit the settings in there. You will have to experiment some here.

The most important is to "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and the next probably is "Change high DPI settings". You will have to experiment here though...

Lastly, if you installed the game into "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." Windows will prevent you from altering the game there, including modding, or attempting changes yourself. Windows "protects" the Program Files folders, and only allows "authorized" applications to make changes. JSGME being a Windows XP era program, is not recognized as "authorized". You might want to copy your game and then paste it into a folder you make yourself. Navigate into your "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" folder, and then press and hold the <Ctrl> key, and then press the <A> key. That should select all of the files and folders inside the game folder. Then use the <Ctrl><C> combination to copy all of those files. Now create a new folder, such as "C:\Games \MySH4", and once inside the MySH4 folder, press <Ctrl><V> combination to paste all of the files into that folder. Windows should now leave you alone in that folder, to mod or edit settings to your heart's content. Use a similar technique to create more "installs" of the game for different mod sets you might use, and then use MultiSH4 to create unique Save folders for each of your copies. That will keep the different versions from attempting overwrite each others' data in a common Save folder, which would not work very well. The only 'problem' with this technique is that you have to create your own short-cuts to the SH4.exe files to easily start the copy...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 02:40 PM   #4
ffllebrez
Nub

Propbeani,
I have installed SH4 in C:\Ubisoft\Silent... not in Program Files(x86). On the other hand when installing SH4 also installs Directx v9.0c and when you see the properties of the SH4 module.exe the data you indicate do not appear (at least in Windows 8), the ones that I show you in the annex that I send you appear so I can hardly do what you ask me, I appreciate your interest in solving it. Can you think of another way? Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Propiedades SH4.jpg (82.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-16-21, 04:02 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffllebrez View Post
Propbeani,
I have installed SH4 in C:\Ubisoft\Silent... not in Program Files(x86). On the other hand when installing SH4 also installs Directx v9.0c and when you see the properties of the SH4 module.exe the data you indicate do not appear (at least in Windows 8), the ones that I show you in the annex that I send you appear so I can hardly do what you ask me, I appreciate your interest in solving it. Can you think of another way? Thank you
Ahoy, ffllebrez...

Click on the 'Ejecutar este programa como administrador' to set it up for the SH4.exe to be ran by you administrator, then click 'Aplicar' to finalize that.

That's a start... at any rate...

As for the rest, will defer to propbeanie or another to help you through the rest of the settings that propbeanie suggested.

All the best to you on getting things straightened out & back in the hunt with SH4...

M. M.

Oh, the box just right above that run as admin, should be the 'disable fullscreen optimization button you'll want to check mark, before you click the 'Aplicar' to finalize that.... as well.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 06-16-21, 04:07 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffllebrez View Post
Propbeani,
As MM says, and while my Win7 is not exactly like Win8, this is what one of my Win7 machines has:

I don't have to run it as Administrator in Win7, but you might in your Win8 machine.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 04:14 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Using google translate, this is what I got for the check box, right above the 'run as admin'...

disable screen scaling if high dpi setting is used

Hope this helps, guys...

M. M.

post edit : With that, am bowing out as that is the extent of My knowledge as it goes with high DPI settings...

All the best to ya ffllebrez...

M. M.
Old 06-16-21, 09:31 PM   #8
ffllebrez
Nub

Icon14 problem solved

Prop as you see in win 8.1 the properties (compatibility) are similar to the 7 but do not contemplate the same. In any case, I have already solved the problem by trial and error. The problem I discovered was that in the DATA/Submarine folder had the submarine NSS_Tench and apparently SH4 1.5 does not like it, it seems silly but that's the way it is. It now works properly without the Tench. everything else perfect. Many thanks to MM and Prop for your interest. A big greeting, ¡as good sailors deserve!