SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-22, 08:03 AM   #1471
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

@ Larry: What boat are you sailing, IXA or IXB? Wilhelmshaven transfers to Lorient 1940-06-30 and 1940-07-01. My guess is that one of your other added in mods is messing with things. My primary suspect would be the "Enable Type XVIII Career Start" mod, since it probably overwrites the Flotillas and CareerStart files at a minimum.

@ CapitainEA: Your computer specs look more than enough to handle running at least four copies of SH4 with Op Monsun / Dark Waters activated on it. How many background apps are running in the systray, and are you swapping out to the desktop to do other tasks besides the game, while the game is running? Also, if you could post with your mod list, as MM requested of Larry, that would help immensely, as well as give the boat you are sailing, where you sailed from, what the current date is you are encountering the issue, and your Lat/Long location. If this happens everytime you encounter a convoy, there is something wrong on the system...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:09 PM   #1472
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Release. My mod for Dark Waters.

See README for details.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...38#post2817938
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:44 PM   #1473
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

@Propbeanie I just noticed that the version of my MO DW is 5, while I see that there is a 6th. But, what I don't understand, I download v.5 when I click on the v.6 link....

When the game loads the screen shows the following: OPERATION MONSUN DARK WATERS V.5

Is this normal?

For information, my game is installed in my hard disc in program (x86); I installed version 1.3 of SH4 then add u-boat mission (1.5)
No software is running at the same time as my game and I sail with the U-boat Type IX. March 27 1943, Location near SCAPA FLOW 3°0 W & 58°0 N

Resolution of my game:

1920*1080 16:9 60Hz
Measurement units: Metric

Resolution of my monitor:

1920x1080 60,000Hz
10-bit
Color format: YCbCr444

My mods are:

OM_DarkWaters_V6
OM_Med_Env
OM_Warm_Clothes
and DBSM_SH4 for German voices

Cordially Capitaine_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 07-13-22 at 12:31 AM.
CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:52 PM   #1474
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainEA View Post
@Propbeanie I just noticed that the version of my MO DW is 5, while I see that there is a 6th. But, what I don't understand, I download v.5 when I click on the v.6 link....
Latest downloadable Dark Waters, is indeed... v6.

Was a slip of memory by Fifi, that he forgot to tag the splash screen with the upgrade from v5 status, to v6.

Just so you know...

M. M.
Old 07-13-22, 10:02 AM   #1475
propbeanie

It does not look like your mod list would be the cause of the issue CapitainEA. However, looking at your video, I do have a question: what is that program that interrupts your gameplay just before the 46 minute mark? That is a "shell-out to Windows Desktop", and that can cause issues with the game, since it is an old single-core program, written for DirectX v9.0c. It does not understand "multi-tasking" or the cpu powering up or down, etc., none of that 'modern' OS stuff. So when the computer shells-out, sometimes not all of the resources are in the same place for the game to find. I notice also that there is pixelation on the ship's wake there just after the 46 minute mark, and if that is in the game, that is not correct. Of course, it could be a video processing artifact, I don't know, but if it is displaying like that in the game, there is something amiss in the video stream... You might experiment with the SH4.exe "Properties" on the "Compatibility" tab for some of the video settings, and see if anything improves there.

But I am at a loss as to what would be impacting your game, other than game mechanics (bandwidth) when ships and planes spawn nearby, which each spawn will cause a slight "hitch" in the display if you are using much time compression, so as a convoy gets within roughly 24nm, you'll start experiencing little "hiccups" as each ship spawns into the game, and if using high TC, the whole convoy might spawn within a second or two of real time, and cause a noticeable "pause" in the game, but then it should resolve, and then just the bandwidth used for display would impact the game. This is somewhat similar in nature to getting close to a major port with a lot of ships and planes in the area.

What game-date was that video encounter showing? I cannot quite read it in the video. Also, latitude and longitude location?

@ Mad Mardigan: Didn't somebody do a "fix" for the version number display not too long ago?

Old 07-13-22, 12:06 PM   #1476
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ Mad Mardigan: Didn't somebody do a "fix" for the version number display not too long ago?

Yeah, that'd be fellow subsimmer "themrwho", who did that... to cover for the lack of the splash screen having the proper tag of it being v6, rather than v5 that we saw on the load up.

That can be found here, in post # 1194, on page 80 of the thread... or just click the link thoughtfully provided, 6 that leads directly to that post:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1194

I think, KaluenMarko, redid it, in 1 of the mod add ins that he did... if, I am not mistaken... tagging it, I believe as being now v6.67...

(Just checked & there is indeed a flash screen tagged as 6.7, rather than 6.67... it's all Oldtimerz fault... I lay the blame, squarely at their feet...
)

M. M.
Old 07-14-22, 04:10 PM   #1477
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Announcement

Updated version of my DW mod will be posted later this evening. I've made some adjustments as in further testing, did not like how things were playing out.

Just a heads up for those interested.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 06:45 PM   #1478
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Check the "Command" dates, versus the Base dates, versus the Type IIB dates. I thought we had done a "fix" for that, but it probably did not go out in time for the v6 mix. Specifically, the Command (ID=30Flotilla") has
AvailabilityInterval=1942-09-21, 1944-09-01
While the base Constanza has
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1944-08-25 pre-dating the Command
and the Type IIB submarine has
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
In effect, what happens, is that the boat with the NULL, NULL follows the Base date of 1944-08-25 and is terminated then. However, since you are still assigned to "30Flotilla" (the ID line) for the actual Command, you then are in need of a Submarine with which to patrol in, so the game, out of the kindness of its heart, grants you a new one... even though it is an inappropriate assignment and there is no base from which to sail again, the game did in fact, give it to you, and has therefore "done its job". So what if it causes a CTD? meh

To "fix" it, try the Base itself as a NULL, NULL also, so that both the boat and the base follow the Availability of the 30Flotilla Command... maybe... - If that does not work, then change the date of the 30Flotilla to 1942-09-21, 1944-08-24, a day earlier than the Base's demise... I am almost positive though, that the "fix" was to do the NULL, NULL... ??
well, this is a new one for me.
check out the change i implemented in Flotillas:
[Flotilla 8]
ID= 30Flotilla
NameDisplayable= 30Flotilla-Flotilla-Name
AvailabilityInterval=1942-09-21, 1944-08-25

[Flotilla 8.Base 1]
ID= F8Constanza
NameDisplayable= 30Flotilla-Base-Name
Info= 30Flotilla-Base-Info
ExternalBaseName= Constanza

[Flotilla 8.UserPlayerUnitType 1]
ID= F8IIBlkS
NameDisplayable= Type IIB U-boat
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= IIBlkS
UnitTypeCommonality= 1
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL
Now, we hove into port on August 25, right on schedule.
we were asked if we wanted a whole, new boat, and answered, No, Mein Herr.
so, we were in port with our old IIB.
clicked on the New Mission icon and.......

never seen that before.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 09:04 PM   #1479
propbeanie

So they (devs) are insistent that you are going to take a new (impossible) submarine, and do the coastal waters Inshore Campaign, eh? I wonder where some of those Black Sea submariners ended up? I mean, besides the Eastern Front and POW camps? Did any skippers or other officers make it back to submarines? Perhaps you could have your boat transfer to... Wilhelmshaven maybe, since they're sending you to the Channel?... No. won't work... Trondheim?? But the Type IIB then would be dated last to August 23 (or maybe 24th??) with an "IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= 13thFlot_Trondheim"...?? You would have to add a Type IIB there though, such as
ID= F25IIB
AvailabilityInterval= 1944-08-20, 1944-09-01 (or earlier, like 1944-08-26)
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= IIB
UnitTypeCommonality= 1
The dates are kind of a kicker, until you run through it a few tries and find out what happens with what. You might want to add a temporary CareerStart to the bottom of the list to do an early August start, to help ease the pain of testing... Anyway, it seems the game doesn't want you to quit playing just then - unless you die, but all of the bases are being closed in France, so you can't transfer to them reliably... but you want a transfer to a base such that you "upgrade" naturally to a higher class boat, and that Trondheim we added has a VIIC, IXC-40, and IXD-2 that go kind of deep into the war, plus you are close enough to a XXI base if you get that anyway... but apparently, the game is going to continue from Constanza... and you have already been through the XXI saga, trying to get by Constantinople and what happens then...

Very strange though.

P.S.: You would also need one valid mission assignment for the IIB at Trondheim in the North Sea...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-15-22 at 09:06 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 07-15-22, 09:15 PM   #1480
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
So they (devs) are insistent that you are going to take a new (impossible) submarine, and do the coastal waters Inshore Campaign, eh? I wonder where some of those Black Sea submariners ended up? I mean, besides the Eastern Front and POW camps? Did any skippers or other officers make it back to submarines? Perhaps you could have your boat transfer to... Wilhelmshaven maybe, since they're sending you to the Channel?... No. won't work... Trondheim?? But the Type IIB then would be dated last to August 23 (or maybe 24th??) with an "IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= 13thFlot_Trondheim"...?? You would have to add a Type IIB there though, such as
ID= F25IIB
AvailabilityInterval= 1944-08-20, 1944-09-01 (or earlier, like 1944-08-26)
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= IIB
UnitTypeCommonality= 1
The dates are kind of a kicker, until you run through it a few tries and find out what happens with what. You might want to add a temporary CareerStart to the bottom of the list to do an early August start, to help ease the pain of testing... Anyway, it seems the game doesn't want you to quit playing just then - unless you die, but all of the bases are being closed in France, so you can't transfer to them reliably... but you want a transfer to a base such that you "upgrade" naturally to a higher class boat, and that Trondheim we added has a VIIC, IXC-40, and IXD-2 that go kind of deep into the war, plus you are close enough to a XXI base if you get that anyway... but apparently, the game is going to continue from Constanza... and you have already been through the XXI saga, trying to get by Constantinople and what happens then...

Very strange though.

P.S.: You would also need one valid mission assignment for the IIB at Trondheim in the North Sea...
no, no , no, no......
the Black Sea-Constanza-IIB career should be ended on August 25, 1944, or thereabouts.
all of the Black Sea Uboats were either sunk by that time or scuttled at approximately that time.
When the Romanians switched sides in 1944, U-9, U-18 and U-24 were scuttled near the harbour, and later raised by the Soviets. The Flotilla's history ended in September 1944, when its three last boats U-19, U-20 and U-23 had to be scuttled[1] on 10 and 11 September near the Turkish coast.
"how does one get off of this thing?"

LAA enabled
Old 07-16-22, 07:52 AM   #1481
propbeanie

Yeah, but you wouldn't want a new boat either, if that's what the game is insistent upon doing... but would it just transfer you doing that and start giving you the new assignments, or would it transfer you and give you one last Black Sea assignment anyway? That'd be just as bad as what it does now... I suppose just quitting the career and ignoring the new assignment is probably easier. Just Start a new career...

Old 07-16-22, 09:41 AM   #1482
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, but you wouldn't want a new boat either, if that's what the game is insistent upon doing... but would it just transfer you doing that and start giving you the new assignments, or would it transfer you and give you one last Black Sea assignment anyway? That'd be just as bad as what it does now... I suppose just quitting the career and ignoring the new assignment is probably easier. Just Start a new career...
it did offer me a new boat, which i turned down.
it gave me the default new mission which is a North Sea mission...with the IIB.
however, it did the back-in-time date-thing (assigning me a departure date of August 25 on August 26) and it left me without a home base.
it was my goal to be retired after August 25 but i guess that didn't pan out as expected.

so to recap...on the day we arrived back at home base after a mission:
my Flotilla expires and with it both my home port and my boat expire.
the current Roster end date for a Black Sea IIB is 19451231.
i wonder what the game would do if i changed that to 19440825, matching the Flotilla, Constanza, and IIB?

i think i may try that scenario.

LAA enabled
Old 07-16-22, 02:40 PM   #1483
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it did offer me a new boat, which i turned down.
it gave me the default new mission which is a North Sea mission...with the IIB.
however, it did the back-in-time date-thing (assigning me a departure date of August 25 on August 26) and it left me without a home base.
it was my goal to be retired after August 25 but i guess that didn't pan out as expected.

so to recap...on the day we arrived back at home base after a mission:
my Flotilla expires and with it both my home port and my boat expire.
the current Roster end date for a Black Sea IIB is 19451231.
i wonder what the game would do if i changed that to 19440825, matching the Flotilla, Constanza, and IIB?

i think i may try that scenario.
my idea did not work.
made the Roster change while in port.
shoved off on a repeat of what should have been the last mission in the Black Sea on August 20 or 21st.
sunk some ships, took some damage, returned to Constanza on August 25/26.
was offered the same upgrade and refused it.
our boat stayed in Constanza on August 26 despite the FLot, the Base, and the Boat being expired on August 25.
we were assigned the same North Sea mission as we were previously.
we shoved off from Constanza and a week or so later we were just west of Gilbraltar (Sept 1?) and had no home base assigned.
according to the latest Save file, we are still assigned to Flot 30 in Constanza.
i think it's broke, Hawkeye.

LAA enabled
Old 07-16-22, 06:29 PM   #1484
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
one more DAQ, how do you end a captain's career with a specialty boat in the Pacific?

LAA enabled
Old 07-16-22, 06:49 PM   #1485
propbeanie

... probably the same way it ends the Type IIB in the Black Sea...

I haven't tried the Cachalot class yet, but it does run out of missions and home port at Pearl 1943-02-14... I bet you go into suspended animation with it also... sigh - shtinking irritating frustrating game... lol

I would almost guarantee you two slices of hot, buttered toast that the same holds true for S-Boats as well as the Narwhal / Nautilus... Emergency surgery might be needed to save the patient!!!