SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-21, 08:35 PM   #1936
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
What would be interesting, is if the sensitivity of them reacting, ould be date controlled through SH3 Commander... so that the results would approximate that of actual effects during WW2 as it is known of....

M. M.

Good idea but seeing as they must use visual spotting even if radar equipped to attack a u-boat not sure what could be done that way ?
Old 02-18-21, 11:54 AM   #1937
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Quote:
What would be interesting, is if the sensitivity of them reacting, ould be date controlled through SH3 Commander... so that the results would approximate that of actual effects during WW2 as it is known of....

M. M.

Good idea but seeing as they must use visual spotting even if radar equipped to attack a u-boat not sure what could be done that way ?
If multiple "types" of AI_Visual are used, the sns files can be used "by date" to change which sensor is mounted - if it even makes a difference doing that. That "technique" can be rather tedious and confusing to implement. KISS is key.

I would be curious to "see" the orientation of the AI_Visual node in NYGM (I don't have it on my computers anymore that I can find... sigh), and whether that orientation has a bearing on the "efficiency" of said sensor. As an example, the "Stock" AFB_HurricaneMK1 has this for its AI_Visual mounting and orientation:

GWX has similar. Notice the 3D "key" in the lower left, and the difference of the node rotation as applied to the "airplane". Does having the blue "Y" (vertical) axis rotated to horizontal port side, and the green "Z" axis rotated vertical, with the red "X" to the rear instead of starboard side make a difference? Does that have the "pilot" looking forward and down, or something?? I do know that the difference of "0.01" and "0.05" in the sim.cfg can be quite remarkable, depending upon other settings.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 11:59 AM   #1938
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If multiple "types" of AI_Visual are used, the sns files can be used "by date" to change which sensor is mounted - if it even makes a difference doing that. That "technique" can be rather tedious and confusing to implement. KISS is key.

I would be curious to "see" the orientation of the AI_Visual node in NYGM (I don't have it on my computers anymore that I can find... sigh), and whether that orientation has a bearing on the "efficiency" of said sensor. As an example, the "Stock" AFB_HurricaneMK1 has this for its AI_Visual mounting and orientation:

GWX has similar. Notice the 3D "key" in the lower left, and the difference of the node rotation as applied to the "airplane". Does having the blue "Y" (vertical) axis rotated to horizontal and the green "Z" axis rotated vertical, with the red "X" to the rear instead of starboard side make a difference? Does that have the "pilot" looking forward and down, or something?? I do know that the difference of "0.01" and "0.05" in the sim.cfg can be quite remarkable, depending upon other settings.
Great stuff and questions Rick ! In terms of "different things for different times of the war" though I'm still confused as to why that would be needed; we're talking visual spotting ability and I can't think how that changed during the war, i.e. ?
Regarding the 0.01, etc. settings am I correct in that a higher number results in a longer detection time needed by the "spotter" ?
Old 02-18-21, 12:18 PM   #1939
propbeanie

I don't know why the "training" of a pilot would change either... Maybe he needs a new eyeglass prescription, and couldn't get new eye wear until after enlistment? Of course, how'd he get in the military - especially flight school - to begin with if he can't see?... Same with ships on the surface, and the differences between a military vessel and a merchant marine. My grandpa was merchant marine, and they definitely did not skimp on crew during the war, so probably had just as many "experts" as "slackards" as the military did when it came to staying awake while on watch.

As for the sim.cfg, it does seem to be a multiplier for delaying the detection time, so a smaller number makes them "see" something sooner, yes. Bigger number is slower. Go too low though, and you are getting your periscope hit from 5600 meters on the first shot, before you can even see over the waves, or a bomb down the conn hatch before its even open... - I am really curious about the node rotation though. s7rikeback and I are going to have to study this in FotRSU, because we have a selection of planes that once again seem to be ignoring the player's boat from 2900 yards while flying at 1500 feet... - I had a Betty do that last night, just flew straight-line right on by me when it came out of the sun practically parallel to my path... - Of course, we have found that a loadout mis-match can do that also, and the use of Hebe's mySH3-tool is practically mandatory, as far as we're concerned.

Old 02-18-21, 12:46 PM   #1940
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I don't know why the "training" of a pilot would change either... Maybe he needs a new eyeglass prescription, and couldn't get new eye wear until after enlistment? Of course, how'd he get in the military - especially flight school - to begin with if he can't see?... Same with ships on the surface, and the differences between a military vessel and a merchant marine. My grandpa was merchant marine, and they definitely did not skimp on crew during the war, so probably had just as many "experts" as "slackards" as the military did when it came to staying awake while on watch.

As for the sim.cfg, it does seem to be a multiplier for delaying the detection time, so a smaller number makes them "see" something sooner, yes. Bigger number is slower. Go too low though, and you are getting your periscope hit from 5600 meters on the first shot, before you can even see over the waves, or a bomb down the conn hatch before its even open... - I am really curious about the node rotation though. s7rikeback and I are going to have to study this in FotRSU, because we have a selection of planes that once again seem to be ignoring the player's boat from 2900 yards while flying at 1500 feet... - I had a Betty do that last night, just flew straight-line right on by me when it came out of the sun practically parallel to my path... - Of course, we have found that a loadout mis-match can do that also, and the use of Hebe's mySH3-tool is practically mandatory, as far as we're concerned.
Ok thanks. Then the 0.01 setting in the NYGM air visual node is as good as it can get. Problem with setting the sim.cfg file to the same is that then all units, not just air visual, would be affected if I'm not mistaken.
Interesting that you have the same problem in FotRSU. I'll try to post a pic of the NYGM node per your example.
Old 02-18-21, 01:33 PM   #1941
propbeanie

Well, most aspects of the game carry the decimal places to six digits. I don't know if the multipliers do that or not, but when we tried a "0.005" in FotRSU, it was near-instantaneous death to the player. We went back to 0.01. That setting does apply to all AI_Visual "devices"... The Sensors.cfg file also has a very similar construct between SH3 & SH4, dealing with range, light, fog, etc. factors. Then there are the Library Sensor dat, sim & zon files and their "Visual" geometries, to contend with

Old 02-18-21, 01:37 PM   #1942
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Well, most aspects of the game carry the decimal places to six digits. I don't know if the multipliers do that or not, but when we tried a "0.005" in FotRSU, it was near-instantaneous death to the player. We went back to 0.01. That setting does apply to all AI_Visual "devices"... The Sensors.cfg file also has a very similar construct between SH3 & SH4, dealing with range, light, fog, etc. factors. Then there are the Library Sensor dat, sim & zon files and their "Visual" geometries, to contend with
is right; I just realized 0.01 is less than, not more than 0.05....... Didn't get much sleep, what can I say
Old 02-18-21, 01:40 PM   #1943
propbeanie

I thought you stated that correctly John - I repeated it backwards for dramatic effect - though I didn't sleep so well either... Bernard kept banging away on the machinery. We have no clue where he is hiding... some suspect that cookie is a ringer, and is in reality Bernard, but he does have proper papers...

Old 02-18-21, 01:51 PM   #1944
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Hey Rick, I don't have any site to upload pics to to show the NYGM info. Would it work if I just uploaded the AI_sensors.dat and an aircraft.dat file for you to look at ? You've got loads of spare time, right ?
Old 02-18-21, 02:10 PM   #1945
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
What would be interesting, is if the sensitivity of them reacting, could be date controlled through SH3 Commander... so that the results would approximate that of actual effects during WW2 as it is known of....

M. M.

Quote:
Was just a thought.. as I know there are other stuff, that can & is date controlled... like the ext. torp load out that occurs later on during the war. Which I do use...

It would be grand, if this with the reaction from aircraft could be worked out to be date controlled so as to sim that as it occurred back then.. but... no rush & no pressure.. if you decide to tackle it.. I wish you all the best in succeeding in it.

Like I said, was just a thought based on what I know of with things being implemented through SH3Cmdr...

Am limited in knowing just what to do, to make mods.. but am well learned in making use of them, even if sometimes I end up with well.. lets just say, weird results... & I am like Wile E Coyote, back to the drawing board... speaking of ol' Wile, ever wonder if being the 'genius' he claimed to be, if He ever considered just who owned Acme, where he got all of the things used by him.... to disastrous ends...

M. M.

Old 02-18-21, 02:25 PM   #1946
propbeanie

Quote:
Hey Rick, I don't have any site to upload pics to to show the NYGM info. Would it work if I just uploaded the AI_sensors.dat and an aircraft.dat file for you to look at ? You've got loads of spare time, right ?
Sure! All kinds of time... lol - 'Course, some guys are running around trying to fit me for a new long-sleeved jacket...

Quote:
... Am limited in knowing just what to do, to make mods.. but am well learned in making use of them, even if sometimes I end up with well.. lets just say, weird results... & I am like Wile E Coyote, back to the drawing board... speaking of ol' Wile, ever wonder if being the 'genius' he claimed to be, if He ever considered just who owned Acme...
Ditto on the "weird results"... commonplace malady with mods... lol - As for Wile E Coyote, Genius (actually, Super Genius), why Bernard was a majority stakeholder with Acme...

Skip to the 30 second mark... too "modern" before that:

Old 02-18-21, 02:31 PM   #1947
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Was just a thought.. as I know there are other stuff, that can & is date controlled... like the ext. torp load out that occurs later on during the war. Which I do use...

It would be grand, if this with the reaction from aircraft could be worked out to be date controlled so as to sim that as it occurred back then.. but... no rush & no pressure.. if you decide to tackle it.. I wish you all the best in succeeding in it.

Like I said, was just a thought based on what I know of with things being implemented through SH3Cmdr...

Am limited in knowing just what to do, to make mods.. but am well learned in making use of them, even if sometimes I end up with well.. lets just say, weird results... & I am like Wile E Coyote, back to the drawing board... speaking of ol' Wile, ever wonder if being the 'genius' he claimed to be, if He ever considered just who owned Acme, where he got all of the things used by him.... to disastrous ends...

M. M.

Understood, I was just referring to the fact that nothing really changed during the war in regards to aircraft crews visual sighting abilities.
But keep the ideas coming !
Old 02-18-21, 02:32 PM   #1948
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Sure! All kinds of time... lol - 'Course, some guys are running around trying to fit me for a new long-sleeved jacket...

[/url]
Let me guess; said jacket also ties in the back with the arms crossing........
Old 02-18-21, 02:33 PM   #1949
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:

Quote:
... Am limited in knowing just what to do, to make mods.. but am well learned in making use of them, even if sometimes I end up with well.. lets just say, weird results... & I am like Wile E Coyote, back to the drawing board... speaking of ol' Wile, ever wonder if being the 'genius' he claimed to be, if He ever considered just who owned Acme...
Ditto on the "weird results"... commonplace malady with mods... lol - As for Wile E Coyote, Genius (actually, Super Genius), why Bernard was a majority stakeholder with Acme...

Skip to the 30 second mark... too "modern" before that:
Yeah, can very well attest to that fact... remember quite well, the mod soup I had a bit back for FotRS, I was using (a couple of updates back, as I recall... ) That because of that mix, I ended up with running into a... 'Superman' of the IJN sub arm... & 1 merchie, iirc, at that... ahh yessss... good times that.. or was that, a surface warship... no matter, as I said, that was some many moons back...

Ok, enough reminiscing... back to current events...

M. M.

Old 02-18-21, 02:38 PM   #1950
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Understood, I was just referring to the fact that nothing really changed during the war in regards to aircraft crews visual sighting abilities.
But keep the ideas coming !
If I think of any, during the course of times passage... I'll do that...

If I haven't done so, shall rectify it now.. some stuff that you've posted about, have helped with things I've run across that weren't right or made game more better as a result.. & for that.. as with all others like yourself, John.. many thanks & a tip o' the hat to ya, ol' bean..

M. M.

Tags
torpedos through hull