SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-21, 01:02 PM   #1921
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Working for me via Stiebler's subsim signature link. Any error message ?
Hi John,
Still no luck!
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 01:15 PM   #1922
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by U301 View Post
Hi John,
Still no luck!
Try this.
Old 02-14-21, 01:17 PM   #1923
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Hi John,
Still no luck!
Try this link ;

https://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/

I checked and the down loads are available and working.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 06:50 PM   #1924
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

He seems to be old, but still, how can a good old man get an assist from a weapon officer in WAC Magui for NYGM
Basically, i can with the right measurement
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-21, 02:30 PM   #1925
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi John,

several years ago I made some tests concerning the 'blind' aircrafts. IIRC, there is no fundamental/hardcoded problem but only a sensor problem. It's much too insensitive for aircrafts.

According to my understanding of how sensors work in SH3, the game calculates every time interval of 0.?s for each sensor a probability that you are detected. This probability is determined according to a formula with parameters specified in sim.cfg. It then generates a random number and decides whether you have been detected, i.e., it's a nice 'Monte-Carlo' experiment.

Since an airplane has roughly 10-20x the speed of a ship, it spends less time in the region around a u-boat with a significant probability for detection. As a consequence, the total probability of being detected (not the probability in every single 'experiment') is much lower because the 'dice' is thrown less often for the plane.

My guess is that the devs didn't do a proper normalization of the probability to take the different speeds into account and thus fast objects have a disadvantage.

Best, LGN1
Unfortunate that this was never corrected. Disappointing (to put it mildly) to see airplane after airplane fly by within easy visual range and never notice my boat.
To be clear, this is not limited to NYGM.
Old 02-15-21, 04:06 PM   #1926
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Unfortunate that this was never corrected. Disappointing (to put it mildly) to see airplane after airplane fly by within easy visual range and never notice my boat.
John,

I know that most of the aircraft will not react or see me, but I still do a crash dive when an aircraft is sighted. Keeps me in practice and for immersion. Don't like aircraft and avoid them at all cost. They are a complication I try to factor in when in transit and on station.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Old 02-15-21, 04:16 PM   #1927
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
John,

I know that most of the aircraft will not react or see me, but I still do a crash dive when an aircraft is sighted. Keeps me in practice and for immersion. Don't like aircraft and avoid them at all cost. They are a complication I try to factor in when in transit and on station.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
I hear ya Bob. I'm the other way; it breaks any immersion for me. One of the major aspects of the u-boat war and its not even a threat to worry about.
Just had one that literally passed in front of my boat and didn't do a thing but turn and go the other way (July 1943, Bay of Biscay).
Old 02-15-21, 06:07 PM   #1928
U301
Officer

Downloads: 782

Quote:
Try this.
Thanks John,
The link was spot on!
KUrtz
U301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-21, 07:23 PM   #1929
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Thanks John,
The link was spot on!
KUrtz
Not a problem, thanks for your mods !
Old 02-17-21, 03:07 PM   #1930
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:

Hi John,

IIRC, NYGM has its own visual sensor for airplanes. In this case you can try to just increase/decrease the corresponding sensitivity of this visual sensor.

Best, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 03:50 PM   #1931
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Hi John,

IIRC, NYGM has its own visual sensor for airplanes. In this case you can try to just increase/decrease the corresponding sensitivity of this visual sensor.

Best, LGN1
Thanks LGN1, yes, I've been looking at that. But I wonder if the visual problems Stiebler mentions with scripted aircraft will "override" any changes.
One way to find out.
Old 02-17-21, 04:13 PM   #1932
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Hi John,

Best, LGN1
LGN1,
Looking at the relevant node in AI_sensors.dat all the air visual sensitivity settings are set at 0.01 which according to S3D, means this setting will override the sim.cfg one of 0.05.
There is also the message of "At (sensitivity * max range) we have a double detection time" in both the .dat files and the sim.cfg file regarding sensitivity.
I take it to mean that a lower number means less detection time needed per above ?
If so, than the 0.01 setting in the .dat file would appear to be as low as can be done. The visual sensitivity section info. in sim.cfg appears to state the same.
I wonder if maybe the .dat file setting really isn't overriding the sim.cfg one of 0.05.....
Old 02-17-21, 04:52 PM   #1933
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
LGN1,
Looking at the relevant node in AI_sensors.dat all the air visual sensitivity settings are set at 0.01 which according to S3D, means this setting will override the sim.cfg one of 0.05.
There is also the message of "At (sensitivity * max range) we have a double detection time" in both the .dat files and the sim.cfg file regarding sensitivity.
I take it to mean that a lower number means less detection time needed per above ?
If so, than the 0.01 setting in the .dat file would appear to be as low as can be done. The visual sensitivity section info. in sim.cfg appears to state the same.
I wonder if maybe the .dat file setting really isn't overriding the sim.cfg one of 0.05.....
John,

If your hunch proves correct, you get your wish for more respondent aircraft, I on the other hand will still crash drive. Will see if all the crew training will pay off.

Silent Hunter is unique as we keep perfecting ways to get our Uboat personas killed more efficiently than ever.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Old 02-17-21, 05:03 PM   #1934
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
John,

If your hunch proves correct, you get your wish for more respondent aircraft, I on the other hand will still crash drive. Will see if all the crew training will pay off.

Silent Hunter is unique as we keep perfecting ways to get our Uboat personas killed more efficiently than ever.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
Well if I'm understanding these settings correctly, the aircraft visual ability can't get any better.
What is even more interesting, I haven't had this problem in GWX (Bay of Biscay comparisons) even though it too has some scripted aircraft.
Two differences: GWX has no separate aircraft visual node and it's sim.cfg setting is 0.01 vs. 0.05 in NYGM.
Different env. files too of course.
Old 02-17-21, 08:28 PM   #1935
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Well if I'm understanding these settings correctly, the aircraft visual ability can't get any better.
What is even more interesting, I haven't had this problem in GWX (Bay of Biscay comparisons) even though it too has some scripted aircraft.
Two differences: GWX has no separate aircraft visual node and it's sim.cfg setting is 0.01 vs. 0.05 in NYGM.
Different env. files too of course.
What would be interesting, is if the sensitivity of them reacting, could be date controlled through SH3 Commander... so that the results would approximate that of actual effects during WW2 as it is known of....

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 02-18-21 at 02:00 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torpedos through hull