Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-11, 11:53 AM   #151
Grifty_mcgrift
Watch

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Not to be overly harsh, but if you had read the thread you would already have your answer. Those who weren't bothered by DRM in the first place certainly don't care. Those who didn't like being logged in all the time are happy that they only have to log in to play the game, and those of us who stand against it on principle will continue to do so.

The only question is, which one are you? Obviously not one who finds it not to be a problem, or you'd have been playing it already. Are you against it because of connection problems, or because being logged in all the time is a hassle? Then you should get it, because this change definitely makes it easier.

On the other hand, if you find it to be an unwarranted intrusion into your personal life, and think that having to ask permission is not only bothersome but downright evil, then you'll refuse to have anything to do with it.

But no one else can tell you how you really feel, or what you should really do. The only one who can give you that answer is yourself.
I guess my problem is I don't know which one I am any more, if that even makes sense. When the DRM first came out, I was dead set against it. But I also thought, well, if they changed it where at least a constant internet connection wasn't required, that might be ok. But then I read today that the servers were down, making people unable to play the game, which places me right back at square one.

I miss the days when PC gaming was simpler. When you didn't have to worry about issues like this. I really want the game, but I also don't want to feel like I'm giving in to Ubisoft or somehow saying their DRM is ok by buying it. I know I'm the only one that can make the decision, but I've been struggling with it for almost a year now. I'm not a very decisive person. But I also don't know if Ubisoft will ever completely remove the DRM. I mean, if you need the game launcher to start the game, and you have to login into the game launcher, can the online check-in at the start ever be truly patched out? And to people trying to play today, was the server not working a huge issue for you? Or are you able to just brush it off?
Grifty_mcgrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 11:56 AM   #152
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Civ-5, Bioshock 2, Wolfenstein, and Far Cry 2 are good ones to play when this happens
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 06:51 PM   #153
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifty_mcgrift View Post
I guess my problem is I don't know which one I am any more, if that even makes sense.
That makes perfect sense to me. I never know who I am.

Quote:
I miss the days when PC gaming was simpler. When you didn't have to worry about issues like this. I really want the game, but I also don't want to feel like I'm giving in to Ubisoft or somehow saying their DRM is ok by buying it.
That's why I still play SH3 and SH4 (and ocassionally SH1 and Aces Of the Deep).

I was originally against it because I had a very flaky connection, but I finally realized that, for me at least, it is impossible to support it, and impossible to say I don't support it while buying it and playing it, no matter how cheap. Someone offered to send me a free copy, and I told them I'd either send it right back or burn it. When the DRM is truly gone I'll gladly pay full price.

Quote:
I know I'm the only one that can make the decision, but I've been struggling with it for almost a year now. I'm not a very decisive person. But I also don't know if Ubisoft will ever completely remove the DRM.
If they don't then I'll get to watch people post pretty screenshots and tell me what I'm missing. I'll also get to watch them complain about the servers and about how nobody's modding the best game that ever lived.

I'll also happily sail my Type II through unrestricted seas and have a great time with "crappy, old-fashioned" graphics.

Quote:
I mean, if you need the game launcher to start the game, and you have to login into the game launcher, can the online check-in at the start ever be truly patched out? And to people trying to play today, was the server not working a huge issue for you? Or are you able to just brush it off?
It doesn't bother me a bit. Oh, wait, I wasn't trying to play SH5 today. I was playing SH3 instead.
Old 01-30-11, 12:54 AM   #154
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Having a high end computer to run the game at full graphics would be way more important than having to login .
lol this made me chuckle
Old 01-30-11, 05:52 PM   #155
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I'm jonny come lately to this... So what happens when you install and run the game, since they whacked their DRM stuff?
Old 01-30-11, 05:57 PM   #156
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
I'm jonny come lately to this... So what happens when you install and run the game, since they whacked their DRM stuff?
The same sort of thing. It checks in with the server, but the game doesn't come to a screeching halt if the connection is disrupted.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 06:04 PM   #157
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126

Quote:
DRM is still with us. You need the internet to boot into the game. Truth is I never even think about it. I just boot SH5 like any in the series and the auto logon is part of the boot sequence. It only takes a few seconds and you never get bumped off since there is no longer a constant connection requirement.

If you don't have internet access. Forget it. If you have internet even poor internet your fine and you can play without hick-up.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 06:05 PM   #158
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
The same sort of thing. It checks in with the server, but the game doesn't come to a screeching halt if the connection is disrupted.
Sounds like how Company of Heroes works.
Old 01-30-11, 06:07 PM   #159
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sounds like how Company of Heroes works.
Right now it's more like using Steam without an offline option.
Old 01-30-11, 10:52 PM   #160
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

I'l take ubi's drm.I have had nothing but problems with steam. I have removed it.
Old 01-31-11, 04:25 PM   #161
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Right now it's more like using Steam without an offline option.

Good comparison

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 01:09 AM   #162
Los
Seaman

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Ubi has finally begun to see that this style of copy protection was more harmful than it's worth.
You can't actually say that. At this point no-one knows UBI's motivations for removing the constant connection requirement. We are assuming (hoping) it's awareness that their customers are one hair shy of livid over it. But my experience says different. Any statements regarding UBI's reasoning are speculative.
Old 02-17-11, 04:40 AM   #163
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Civ-5, Bioshock 2, Wolfenstein, and Far Cry 2 are good ones to play when this happens
Epic game, 'nuff said.
Old 02-17-11, 08:08 AM   #164
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
You can't actually say that. At this point no-one knows UBI's motivations for removing the constant connection requirement. We are assuming (hoping) it's awareness that their customers are one hair shy of livid over it. But my experience says different. Any statements regarding UBI's reasoning are speculative.
This is true. However, in fairness, that speculation is no less speculative than your speculation.
Old 02-17-11, 07:09 PM   #165
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
This is true. However, in fairness, that speculation is no less speculative than your speculation.
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote