SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-15, 08:34 PM   #1
grenadier98
Watch

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default Crew Skills

I'm new to the game and I tried to find am explantion about the crew skills and their contribution to the efficiency of the different compartments. I've searched a lot but all that I could find was the following list and I'm not sure if it's correct. I'm confused because all the guys in the command room have high leadership, but the list doesn't show it at all. Is it useful to have a high leadership skill on every watch leader of every compartment?

Deck Watch

Mechanical 0.2
Electric 0.2
Guns 0.2
Watchman 1.0

Torpedo Room
Mechanical 0.5
Guns 0.5

Engine Room
Mechanical 0.6
Electric 0.4

Control Room
Mechanical 0.4
Electric 0.2
Watchman 0.4

Conning Tower
Electric 0.5
Watchman 0.5

Damage Control Team
Mechanical 0.4
Electric 0.4
Guns 0.2
grenadier98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 08:46 PM   #2
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Leadership provides a skill multiplier basically. Good leaders will make a compartments total efficiency rating go up and bad leaders seem to make it go down. The leaders in the command room effect the whole boat. But yeah, that list looks about right to me.
Old 12-18-15, 09:23 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

If you're really interested, the best way to figure out how much these things change the Efficiency levels is to take some time out on the next patrol, and swap out some of the crew, and note the changes. If you do this awhile, you will get a good feel for what you can expect in this area.

Pretty much every compartment has a 'Leader' slot that gives a bonus to that compartment. There are a few 'Officer' slots that give a bonus to the entire boat. I believe that the game just considers the best active Officer, not all of them. Obviously, fatigue is very important.

You can dig into the game, and open up the subs' *.upc files to see what skills are used, and which slots are the officer slots.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 11:21 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

SH4 has a function other versions of the game don't. When you're getting ready to attack, or are being attacked, click the 'Sound General Quarters' button. This will activate the whole crew, sending them to Battle Stations, and will put the best of the leaders into the leader slots. Your boat will be at its absolute best.

Don't forget to 'Relieve from General Quarters' when you're done, or the entire crew will stay there until they all pass out from fatigue.
Old 12-19-15, 03:18 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

grenadier98!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 06:23 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim grenadier

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 11:09 AM   #7
grenadier98
Watch

Thanks for all your answers and your welcome greetings. I changed a few crewman and a Petty Officer and now I'm out on my first patrol in a Tambor Class Sub from Pearl Harbor to Japan to drop off a spy. I managed to sank a freighter with 8100 tons.

So far I couldn't figure out how to shoot a slavo... I've played SH 3 before and there it was possble to select several tubes at once and to adjust the angle. I didn't find this option anywhere in the Tambor Class.
Is it just my imagination or does a crash dive with a US sub takes forever compared to a German Type VII? I know that the US subs are much bigger, so maybe that's the reason.
grenadier98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 01:05 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadier98 View Post
So far I couldn't figure out how to shoot a slavo... I've played SH 3 before and there it was possble to select several tubes at once and to adjust the angle. I didn't find this option anywhere in the Tambor Class.
Is it just my imagination or does a crash dive with a US sub takes forever compared to a German Type VII? I know that the US subs are much bigger, so maybe that's the reason.
American and German subs both didn't fire multiple torpedoes at once. That a major defect in SH III. The reason is that when torpedos malfunction, and they do, you don't want a premature detonation of one torpedo exploding the others launched at the same time or throwing them off course.

It was standard practice for Germans and Americans to launch torpedoes at least 5 seconds apart.

The Type VII was a tiny sub, suited for coastal defense but not really suited to the open ocean warfare it was forced to engage. So it had to take on less water to dive, which took a shorter time and it could dive quicker. The Type IX, being in the same displacement class as the Amreican fleet boat, too comparable amounts of time to dive.

What the Type VII had to give up to achieve the quick diving times wasn't worth the exchange. The Germans required a far superior design to make any meaninful dent in the Allied convoys. They never got it. Instead they were stuck trying to run the Daytona 500 with a 1960s Volkswagon Beetle.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 11:02 PM   #9
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What the Type VII had to give up to achieve the quick diving times wasn't worth the exchange. The Germans required a far superior design to make any meaninful dent in the Allied convoys. They never got it. Instead they were stuck trying to run the Daytona 500 with a 1960s Volkswagon Beetle.

Welcome aboard Grenadier!

I'm assigning you personal assistant to Aktungboy. He needs all the help he can get.
Old 12-20-15, 12:44 AM   #10
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Oh man. About a year ago or so, I saw a classic bug that somebody had hotrodded just parked in the walmart parking lot. It was painted metallic purple and the massive supercharged engine they put in it didn't even fit in the car and was hanging out the back on some sort of support rack. In order to improve traction, the rear tire size was increased to the point that the rear wheels didn't fit in the wheel wells at all so they extended the axels so that the whole rear wheel system was outside the car's normal limits. Honestly, my description probably doesn't do it justice, but it was really a pretty damn cool machine.
Old 12-20-15, 07:12 AM   #11
Gibus
Ensign

Bonjour,

For my part, and despite numerous attempts, I have never been able to quantify the effectiveness of officers with specific skills.
Some, like the doctor, are not measurable. Others like the officer-machines, never brought any piece of additional knot, on the surface and underwater.
I gather that this is a pure marketing spiel.

But I'm wrong maybe ....

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 10:39 AM   #12
scubamatt
Mate

Downloads: 21

The left most slot in each compartment, in each watch row, is the one where the Leadership rating has an effect. It multiplies the efficiency of everyone in that compartment, on that watch.

The same is true for the Deck Gun crew, and the Damage Control team, the left most slot is where you want the crewman with the highest Leadership rating.

In the Command Room compartment, the left most slot not only multiplies the efficiency for that compartment, it also multiplies the efficiency for everyone on duty, anywhere in the boat. This is the OOD slot, and the most important on the boat. When the boat is at Battle Stations, everyone gets a slight boost to efficiency (which is then multiplied). Put your best leadership guys in those three slots (first, left most position of each watch) in the Command Room, for the best effect to your crew.

When you promote crewmen, look at their skill set before you promote them. If you take a specialization (Torpedoes, Engines, etc) they get a big bump to the important skills for that specialization. As an example, a crewman who takes the Engines specialization will get a big bump to Mechanical and Electrical skills, and nothing else. Those are the two skills that matter in the Engine Room compartment, so when you assign crew to that compartment, only Mechanical and Electrical skill numbers should matter to you (except the watch leader, where his Leadership rating matters too). When you promote from enlisted to Officer, they get a bump in their Leadership skill.

Last edited by scubamatt; 12-20-15 at 10:47 AM.
scubamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 09:57 PM   #13
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibus View Post
Bonjour,

For my part, and despite numerous attempts, I have never been able to quantify the effectiveness of officers with specific skills.
I gather that this is a pure marketing spiel.

But I'm wrong maybe ....
Imo, this is largely correct. Even so, most of us (myself included ) will spend time shuffling our crew go get things 'right'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamatt View Post

In the Command Room compartment, the left most slot not only multiplies the efficiency for that compartment, it also multiplies the efficiency for everyone on duty, anywhere in the boat. This is the OOD slot, and the most important on the boat. When the boat is at Battle Stations, everyone gets a slight boost to efficiency (which is then multiplied). Put your best leadership guys in those three slots (first, left most position of each watch) in the Command Room, for the best effect to your crew.
All the officer slots are the same as any other. That one might be the most important to you, but as far as the game is concerned, they are all the same. There are only three kinds of crew slots; crewman, leader, and officer.

When at Battle Stations, everyone is on duty and contributes. Secondly, there is a different efficiency denominator used. So for example, on a normal shift, you might have 2 men on duty in the fwd torpedo room, with their Ef total divided by 2, and at BS, have 6 men on duty, with their Ef total divided by 3. The Efficiency denominator (and the fact that everyone is on duty) is the main reason you get a boost at BS.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 10:38 PM   #14
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
All the officer slots are the same as any other. That one might be the most important to you, but as far as the game is concerned, they are all the same.
I'm pretty sure that's not actually the case. I have observed plenty of times where moving an officer to/from the command room has a serious effect on the efficiency rating of the whole boat. Now, I know that you did some digging in the relevant modifiable files and that's probably where that thought is coming from. However, just because there's no modifiable control that you can alter, doesn't mean that there isn't a hardcoded modifier built into the game exe.

Edit:
And here's proof. Note the difference in crew efficiency in the berthing and the aft torpedo. You can also see the individual shift/compartment bars have shifted as well. Admittedly, the difference is much easier to see if you actually move the guy between slots, instead of trying to view above/below like the examples below.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 12-20-15 at 11:05 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-15, 11:01 PM   #15
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

There's one sort of general thought I had that may be helpful to someone that's pretty new to the game.

If you look, you can see that the crew is at 0 fatigue when in port. When you go throwing a couple weeks of normal fatigue into the mix, you will not be getting the same total efficiency ratings that you had at the start of the trip. From my experience, this makes leadership have a much more pronounced effect on compartment efficiency than can be seen when moving personal at port. Just food for thought anyways.