SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-20, 10:28 AM   #1306
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I have revised the campaign files of FOTRSU to see how I can increase traffic while keeping the 'spirit' of playability and realism. I did this because I have become tired to start careers and not find any traffic after hours of play. I will probably do the same for TMO, RFB and maybe also adjust RSRDC.
By looking at the files, I see that the spawn probabilities are way too low for a *game* while they are ok for a pure simulation and for people who (God bless them...) want to spend hours in the game and not making any encounters.
I have changed the numbers in 2 ways: one version that will increase traffic by about 50%, and one that will have traffic frequencey like in the stock game. My tests are very enjoyable and I will however stick to them personally.

I will release a mod for it free to use for everyone (or not), explaining in detail what I have changed. Here the technical details for the purpose to help the FORTSU mod team if they make changes in the future:
-----------------------

ReportPosMin=xxxx
Reduced in half all values as for this scheme:

original values > changed values

1000-2000 > ReportPosMin=750
2000-3000 > ReportPosMin=1250
3000-4000 > ReportPosMin=1750
4000-5000 > ReportPosMin=2250
5000-6000 > ReportPosMin=2750
6000-7000 > ReportPosMin=3250
7000-8000 > ReportPosMin=3750
8000-9000 > ReportPosMin=4250
9000-9999 > ReportPosMin=4750

ReportPosProbability=xx
Changed to be at minimum 35
All values changed to smoothly and proportionally increase their value relative to 100, which is:

00-20 > 35 (minimum)
20-30 > 44
30-40 > 51
40-50 > 59
50-60 > 66
60-70 > 74
70-80 > 81
80-90 > 89
90-99 > 92
100 > not changed

SpawnProbability=xxx
For all occurences where this value comes together with...

SpawnProbability=\d\d\r.RandStart (regular expression),...

...the stock game has a constant value of 75. I change all FOTRSU values to 55 for the 'increased' traffic version and to 75 for 'like stock game' traffic version. Values of 100 were not changed, values in all 'Subhunter' files were not changed. Only values for the main group missions were changed, the single unit values were not changed.

The overall result will be:
Without adding any new groups or units into FOTRSU, the existing traffic will have higher chances to materialize in the game and the chances for radio reports will also be increased.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-14-20 at 12:14 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 12:55 PM   #1307
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Minor issues, but if anyone's interested...

Convoy College assignment, but somehow found ourselves in the Sibuyan Sea on 10/24/44. As we passed directly underneath the Takao in the port vanguard, we noticed its screws weren't operating, despite it traveling at high speed. The Maya CA was also affected.

The game uses the same video sequence to depict both planes dropping torpedoes and surface ships firing them, despite the file showing a shipboard launch. Would it be possible to edit that small part out for the aerial attacks? They can take place kilometers away while the shipboard ones always seem to be aimed at us.

FWIW, of one spread intended for the Archerfish, one narrowly missed to starboard as we went left full rudder flank while two others slammed into the Kongo class BB to port. Captain AI may be in for a court-martial should he ever make it home from Samar and Coron Bay.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 01:41 PM   #1308
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

I have spotted scope for a tidy up of some of the vessel definitions should the opportunity arise. It appears that several of the Submarines are in the Sea folder instead of the Submarines folder.

The candidates for moving out of Sea and into Submarine are AI_Fleetboat, AI_Fleetboat_Static, AI_Pigboat, AI_Uboat9d2, NSS_A1, NSS_AM, NSS_C3, NSS_Jyunsen_B, NSS_Jyunsen1, NSS_Ko, NSS_Sen_Taka and NSS_Sen_Toku_I

It caught me on the hop when I was thinking of starting the silhouettes for the subs under the impression that there were only a few of them... then I bumped into the real Submarines folder while searching for a texture.
Old 06-14-20, 02:21 PM   #1309
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

It really does not matter which folder they are in for the Game.
They use the AI for surface ships no matter the folder.
Now. If you look? There is an AI fleet boat in the submarine folder.
Why?
AI boat is probably surfaced in the Sea folder.
AI Boat is probably Submerged in the Submarine folder.
How did they submerge the sub in the Submarine folder?
They moved the 3D model down!

Probably not a question you have I can't answer about crazy stuff.
Old 06-15-20, 08:33 AM   #1310
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
1) About Special Abilities... Do crew members still acquire special abilities in FotRSU?

I've now completed my 5th Patrol and so far the only special ability crewman I've got is the officer who can recharge batteries quickly.

2) Am I correct that there's no multi-player version of SH4?

I recently noticed that it was listed as multi-player on the Steam website but I've never heard anything about it here in these forums. I have heard that there was Beta-Release of Silent Hunter On-Line that Ubisoft was attempting to develop back in 2013 but it never left the beta phase and the last server was shutdown in 2016.

3) Is there a way to take a Steam Screenshot in FotRSU?

I know that anything outside the SH4 realm risks angering the CO2 gods but I see that folks have posted screenshots on Steam from this game. Steam doesn't seem to want me to do that... I CAN post artwork (Screenshots which I capture using Greenshot)

4) Are there any refueling ships in the FotRSU mod?

The very first time I played this game I played the (Stock) U-Boat campaign and I took the advanced sub with the Werther drive as soon as it was available. I kept getting assignments that were outside my patrol range no matter what seed I traveled at. And there were no re-fueling ships available. Yet when I watched One F Jef's Let's Play on You-tube as a U.S. Skipper he ran into a U.S. refueling ship early on. It always seemed kinda boneheaded that the U-Boat missions couldn't be better coordinated with the refueling ships. It's been a few years and my memory is getting a bit hazy but that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
1) The special abilities have for the most part been disabled. The battery charge fellow is on every boat, due to the odd balancing act of trying to get speed versus range versus other settings to balance. When you get one thing set somewhat correctly, it makes the battery re-charge time go to 10-12 hours, which is unacceptable, hence the use of the re-charge special ability.

2) Yes, there is a multi-player. There are several missions in the game, and they should be compatible with FotRSU. Ubisoft dropped their servers for any SH game multi-player play, but it can still be done online with the likes of Hamachi, or have a LAN party at your house. Everyone has to have the same exact mod loadout as the "host". I used to use my kids for testing those missions, but I have scared them off somehow... "why won't you play?" "because dad, you ~always~ sink us!"... "well, that's what I'm supposed to do!"...

3) The Steam game should work like any other, with a <Ctrl><F11> key combo. You will sometimes see the screen focus go back to the initial F12 view, and sometimes not... the files are saved in the game folder with names such as "SH4Img@2020-06-04_22.26.56_200.bmp" which designates date and time. You do have to edit them usually, since they are at your screen resolution, and are ~HUGE~ if used directly online.

4) Not in the US Pacific side, but there are some in the Indian Ocean for the German side. The US did not use re-fueling boats as SOP, but would add Forward Bases as they gained territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
I have revised the campaign files of FOTRSU to see how I can increase traffic while keeping the 'spirit' of playability and realism. I did this because I have become tired to start careers and not find any traffic after hours of play. I will probably do the same for TMO, RFB and maybe also adjust RSRDC.
By looking at the files, I see that the spawn probabilities are way too low for a *game* while they are ok for a pure simulation and for people who (God bless them...) want to spend hours in the game and not making any encounters.
I have changed the numbers in 2 ways: one version that will increase traffic by about 50%, and one that will have traffic frequencey like in the stock game. My tests are very enjoyable and I will however stick to them personally.

I will release a mod for it free to use for everyone (or not), explaining in detail what I have changed. Here the technical details for the purpose to help the FORTSU mod team if they make changes in the future:
-----------------------

ReportPosMin=xxxx
Reduced in half all values as for this scheme:

1000-2000 > ReportPosMin=750
2000-3000 > ReportPosMin=1250
3000-4000 > ReportPosMin=1750
4000-5000 > ReportPosMin=2250
5000-6000 > ReportPosMin=2750
6000-7000 > ReportPosMin=3250
7000-8000 > ReportPosMin=3750
8000-9000 > ReportPosMin=4250
9000-9999 > ReportPosMin=4750

ReportPosProbability=xx
Changed to be at minimum 35
All values changed to smoothly and proportionally increase their value relative to 100, which is:

00-20 > 35 (minimum)
20-30 > 44
30-40 > 51
40-50 > 59
50-60 > 66
60-70 > 74
70-80 > 81
80-90 > 89
90-99 > 92
100 > not changed

SpawnProbability=xxx
For all occurences where this value comes together with...

SpawnProbability=\d\d\r.RandStart (regular expression),...

...the stock game has a constant value of 75. I change all FOTRSU values to 55 for the 'increased' traffic version and to 75 for 'like stock game' traffic version. Values of 100 were not changed, values in all 'Subhunter' files were not changed. Only values for the main group missions were changed, the single unit values were not changed.

The overall result will be:
Without adding any new groups or units into FOTRSU, the existing traffic will have higher chances to materialize in the game and the chances for radio reports will also be increased.

XS
We'll discuss that, but anyone of course, is more than welcome to modify the mod for their own use. You have not changed any calls, correct? Just the percentages for spawning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Minor issues, but if anyone's interested...

Convoy College assignment, but somehow found ourselves in the Sibuyan Sea on 10/24/44. As we passed directly underneath the Takao in the port vanguard, we noticed its screws weren't operating, despite it traveling at high speed. The Maya CA was also affected.

The game uses the same video sequence to depict both planes dropping torpedoes and surface ships firing them, despite the file showing a shipboard launch. Would it be possible to edit that small part out for the aerial attacks? They can take place kilometers away while the shipboard ones always seem to be aimed at us.

FWIW, of one spread intended for the Archerfish, one narrowly missed to starboard as we went left full rudder flank while two others slammed into the Kongo class BB to port. Captain AI may be in for a court-martial should he ever make it home from Samar and Coron Bay.
Thanks for the note on the CA with "dead" props. We have found merchants like that, from back when someone reported one of the Hansa freighters as mute. There is a S&D in-progress as we "speak" here, as well as for issues that DanielCoffey is finding when doing the sils. This is good to find these things.

The AI Captain, whether using guns or torpedoes, or any weapon at his disposal, including depth charges, will saturate the area, and fratricide will ensue... I have a video of the Flying Dutchman sailing through the middle of an IJN task force, and the IJN does themselves massive quantities of harm shooting at the Dutchman, even to the point of sinking their own ships. This is a Silent Hunter game problem, and is not fixable. I also have a Davao Gulf vid online, where seven airplanes were attempting to bomb my submarine, but in their zeal, they took out the little DD trying to sonar me... As for the Event Camera, if you are in a busy scene, you may or may not see all of the torpedo launches that can occur. Air planes have a launch sequence, ships have a launch sequence & subs have a launch sequence. If something is already playing on the Event Camera, the next one cannot. Anything within "sight" of your submarine might be on the display, even though they are 8nm away, shooting at a different vessel. Another thing to remember is that for whatever reason, the AI of a ship will shoot torpedoes at airplanes also... I do not think we will find anyway to "tame" the AI and its aggressiveness in that regard. But we shall not stop looking. We shall fight them in the Sea folder, we shall fight them in the Land folder, we shall fight them in the Air folder, and we shall ~nevah~ surrender... sorry, got carried away there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I have spotted scope for a tidy up of some of the vessel definitions should the opportunity arise. It appears that several of the Submarines are in the Sea folder instead of the Submarines folder.

The candidates for moving out of Sea and into Submarine are AI_Fleetboat, AI_Fleetboat_Static, AI_Pigboat, AI_Uboat9d2, NSS_A1, NSS_AM, NSS_C3, NSS_Jyunsen_B, NSS_Jyunsen1, NSS_Ko, NSS_Sen_Taka and NSS_Sen_Toku_I

It caught me on the hop when I was thinking of starting the silhouettes for the subs under the impression that there were only a few of them... then I bumped into the real Submarines folder while searching for a texture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
It really does not matter which folder they are in for the Game.
They use the AI for surface ships no matter the folder.
Now. If you look? There is an AI fleet boat in the submarine folder.
Why?
AI boat is probably surfaced in the Sea folder.
AI Boat is probably Submerged in the Submarine folder.
How did they submerge the sub in the Submarine folder?
They moved the 3D model down!

Probably not a question you have I can't answer about crazy stuff.
shhhh!... don't give away too many trade secrets!... But yes DanielCoffey, there is insanity behind the reaso... er - reasoning behind the insanity?... It does have to do, as Jeff-Groves suggests with the 'purpose' of the AI sub. Currently, the two AI subs in the Submarine folder (besides the Stock game's, which are not called) are indeed for future use as submerged submarines that can and will attack surface vessels, as well as the player's sub. They will be used in an optional add-on, and are not active at this time. The surfaced AI subs are the ones in the Sea folder, and they have functional AI deckguns as well as torpedoes. They do have to be in the Sea folder for them to properly function on the surface. You, of course, would not have to mess with anything in the Submarine folder, since they are underwater...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 10:45 PM   #1311
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Default Radar issues

Convoy College area, Dec 1944, heavy fog, medium precip, upgraded to a newly constructed Tench:

Encountered a H/K TF at close range, just in time to dive deep to safety. Radar was operating and there was nothing unusual about the watch.

Several days later, encountered the same TF in identical conditions. Radar first indicated a large group at long range, then flashed the TF at close range. Again, just time to dive deep.

Both times the TF had the drop on us, despite using the standard SJ-1. We were running for home at TC of 3-4k in anticipation of the two-week slog back. Never experienced this behavior prior.

EDITED TO ADD: Presumably the nonfunctioning ST radar is a known issue for the latest release? I think Marco mentioned it for the previous version, but didn't find anything for the new one on a Q&D search.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 06-16-20 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 02:01 AM   #1312
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Bad Model Report : Data \ Objects \ Turm_AM_1.dat
Node : 76 - Node - TurmJP_1_Antena13
Sub-Node : 75: 3D Model
Issue : When trying to Export the TurmJP_1_Antena13.obj, the error "Material 0x6b4fa4f2e50ebe0c is not found in this file. Unable to continue" is displayed.

NOTE : This object is also used in Turm_Jyunsen_B_1.dat where it is Node 60

Bad Model Report : Data \ Library \ AI_IJNSubParts \ IJN_7mmAA_Gun.dat
Node : 19 - Node - Gun_sight
Sub-Node : 18: 3D Model
Issue : When trying to Export the Gun_sight.obj, the error "Material 0xce97542e040c22a8 is not found in this file. Unable to continue" is displayed.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 06-16-20 at 10:05 AM.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 05:20 AM   #1313
Frank Ravelli
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

If you don't have SH3 & SH5, and would want to, then keep a weather eye on Steam for them to do a 3 in 1 bundle pack, else I don't know what to tell you. This mega & Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters, requires having SH4 v1.5 that includes the Uboat Missions add in... else this mega or the other 1 I mentioned is not going to work.

Don't know if the version of FotRS, is still available for the SH4 v1.4 any more or not.. much less if there is a version of Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters or even the base of that mega, Operation Monsun is even available for SH4 v1.4 to be quite frank about it... doesn't mean I couldn't be wrong about that, but...

Maybe more knowledgeable sub-simmer's might pipe up & confirm or deny My assertions here.

Any way, fair winds, smooth seas & plentiful hunting otherwise.

Mad Mardigan

Thanks for your answer. finally I got the gold the gold edition from the ubi store for 5€. Not a bad deal at all
Frank Ravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 05:36 AM   #1314
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Possible errors in supporting doc?

I'm doing some research,looking through the various files and trying to understand better what all you've included in the Support materials that you released with this mod.

In the Shipsdata.PDF there is an entry for AITypeIXD2

When I look through the ...\Data\Sea files in the game, I can match up most of the entries in the PDF with directories, I see a folder for AI_Uboat9d2. While it seems perfectly clear to me that they must be the same, I'm guessing that it's the kind of difference computer programs usually object to.

Thought I'd mention it here partly out of curiosity and partly in case it causes any issues.

Another weirdness... JPFish01_sil.dds is in the JPGunBoat01 folder. It seems odd for it to be there.

Similarly there's an entry for JP_ShinshuMaru in the Sea directory and the PDF has an entry for ShinshuMaru. I'm assuming that they're the same and that it's causing no problems?

Co-incidentally I can see directories for CMD_small_boat which looks like a life-raft that has a zero value for renown, and HeianTender which awards 425 renown is not in the Shipsdata.PDF at all. I'm guessing that you've altered the scripts so that those don't spawn? I see that the Icebergs which yield zero renown are still listed.

Inquiring minds...
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 06-16-20 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added a few
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 07:45 AM   #1315
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Convoy College area, Dec 1944, heavy fog, medium precip, upgraded to a newly constructed Tench:

Encountered a H/K TF at close range, just in time to dive deep to safety. Radar was operating and there was nothing unusual about the watch.

Several days later, encountered the same TF in identical conditions. Radar first indicated a large group at long range, then flashed the TF at close range. Again, just time to dive deep.

Both times the TF had the drop on us, despite using the standard SJ-1. We were running for home at TC of 3-4k in anticipation of the two-week slog back. Never experienced this behavior prior.

EDITED TO ADD: Presumably the nonfunctioning ST radar is a known issue for the latest release? I think Marco mentioned it for the previous version, but didn't find anything for the new one on a Q&D search.
The main problem you have here, is that the Tench is not supposed to be active until after January of 1945... KaleunMarco had a Balao, and the radar is not supposed to be active until after January of 1945 either, so a double-whammy for your boat. It's not so much that it doesn't work, it's just acting strangely, due to not actually being "active" date-wise in the game. It tries, but fails, and it takes all other radar with it. This is what irritates me no end about this game, in that they have date constraints that we have to follow as modders, yet the "logic" in the game runs over and ignores them itself, sometimes to the point of crashing the game... why have "dates" at all?... There is no "fix" for that kind of issue, similar to the AI shooting at itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Bad Model Report : Data \ Objects \ Turm_AM_1.dat

Node : 76 - Node - TurmJP_1_Antena13
Sub-Node : 75: 3D Model

Issue : When trying to Export the TurmJP_1_Antena13.obj, the error "Material 0x6b4fa4f2e50ebe0c is not found in this file. Unable to continue" is displayed.
Thanks for the mention. We'll see if there is any hope for that one... Is there perhaps something similar looking on another sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
I'm doing some research,looking through the various files and trying to understand better what all you've included in the Support materials that you released with this mod.

In the Shipsdata.PDF there is an entry for AITypeIXD2

When I look through the ...\Data\Sea files in the game, I can match up most of the entries in the PDF with directories, I see a folder for AI_Uboat9d2. While it seems perfectly clear to me that they must be the same, I'm guessing that it's the kind of difference computer programs usually object to.

Thought I'd mention it here partly out of curiosity and partly in case it causes any issues.

Similarly there's an entry for JP_ShinshuMaru in the Sea directory and the PDF has an entry for ShinshuMaru. I'm assuming that they're the same and that it's causing no problems?

Co-incidentally I can see directories for CMD_small_boat which looks like a life-raft that has a zero value for renown, and HeianTender which awards 425 renown is not in the Shipsdata.PDF at all. I'm guessing that you've altered the scripts so that those don't spawn? I see that the Icebergs which yield zero renown are still listed.

Inquiring minds...
That PDF is now "old". Ships have been altered, ships have been added. The PDF has no bearing on how the game works. The cmd boat is the "Spec Ops" boat, exclusively used by the game. It uses the "life raft" as its "base", but has other attributes for "launching" from your sub. Also, the game uses the AI submarines that are found in the Sea folder, not the Submarine folder. Other than the existing AI subs in the Submarine folder (which are not called), the players subs are the only ones used there at this time. Also, there are several "Names" for assets in the game, and it can be very confusing, to say the least. Whatever you do, do NOT look in the ConteVerde folder, and a few others, since they have a named folder, and a portion of the files inside are similarly named, but others are not. Then you might notice also that there can be a huge difference between a Sea folder name, the ship name, and what you see of it in the Recognition Manual - what thuh?... So you need to use the Sea folder, the Names.cfg in the Roster folder, and then a good search engine, like in Notepad++ or 010 Editor, to find all occurences of a name you might be looking for... and even still, it won't make sense... It's just the way they made the game, which is of course, version 4, so that's three previous versions that they took the ships and planes etc. from...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 07:48 AM   #1316
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Added another bad model with the same error to my post above. It is merely a gun sight on a 7mm AA gun but the fewer excuses we can give it for crashes the better!
Old 06-16-20, 08:35 AM   #1317
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

We'll discuss that, but anyone of course, is more than welcome to modify the mod for their own use. You have not changed any calls, correct? Just the percentages for spawning?

I have only changed

ReportPosMin=xxxx
ReportPosProbability=xx
SpawnProbability=xxx

But of course I didn't change everything, only those values in range from probability 5-90, and not values with a combo of -1 and prob=100 which clearly means those groups must spawn in all cases. Also I didn't touch the xxx_subhunter files for the same reason.
An exhaustive list of the changes is in the link below (or here above, I didn't left anything out.)

For me the mod plays very well now, give it a try

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5621

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-16-20 at 08:50 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 10:27 AM   #1318
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Whoever thought up that bright idea of putting 2 medium coastal bunkers near the Ishinomaki agent insertion mission has got a bleeding screw loose.

We're going back to Midway as half the equipment on our sub is beyond repair, thank you for that you bloody dolls head.

This is the first time I've ever headed back to base without sighting a single ship.
Old 06-16-20, 10:29 AM   #1319
dbcrutch12
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

Quick update, I do have my save file still, although I've started a new game. I would be pretty interested to try the fixes to see if I could get it going again, but I also wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm grateful for everything ya'll have put into this and fixing my issue. When I said I didn't know if it was applied I meant the patch, I've definitely been running FOTRSU since I fired back up.

Sorry for my sporadic replies and my lack of quotes, I'm in LE and I work nights so when my work schedule hits, it hits hard.

Lacking the quotes, I hope all the pertinent people see this. Thank you all, I'm having more fun that I can express.
dbcrutch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 10:33 AM   #1320
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The main problem you have here, is that the Tench is not supposed to be active until after January of 1945... KaleunMarco had a Balao, and the radar is not supposed to be active until after January of 1945 either, so a double-whammy for your boat. It's not so much that it doesn't work, it's just acting strangely, due to not actually being "active" date-wise in the game. It tries, but fails, and it takes all other radar with it. This is what irritates me no end about this game, in that they have date constraints that we have to follow as modders, yet the "logic" in the game runs over and ignores them itself, sometimes to the point of crashing the game... why have "dates" at all?... There is no "fix" for that kind of issue, similar to the AI shooting at itself...
2/1/45, departing from Pearl for Tench's second patrol (this one to Hokkaido), the ST radar is functioning as per sighting reports, but appears to be nonoperational otherwise. The screens are dark and will not turn on and there is no external indication of the radar functioning or even that it's there on the observation periscope. A nighttime test off Pearl does not display non-sonar targets until within visual range. A ship at 11.6 km registers only on sonar, despite multiple togglings.

I went back to the "entering port" autosave and restarted the patrol in order to retain the SJ-1. The issues below stem from this:

This is probably a game engine issue but fired two torps at a LEO: one impacted normally; the second exploded prematurely (against settings) somewhat off-course. When I went to the periscope screen to fire a third torpedo, tube #1 was reloading and #2 was already fully reloaded, despite only a couple of minutes having passed and torpedo reload being set to realistic.

Also a large ship spawned on the eastern docks at Aomori, materializing inside the dock itself and exploding.