SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-08, 02:09 PM   #1
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Normally I'd be a smart a55 and tell you to get a bigger hard drive, but this time I'll suggest something else.:rotfl: (but you really should get a bigger drive, or, better yet, another large hard drive)

If you have a DVD burner, you could burn the zipped files you downloaded to DVDs (make sure and use a burning program that will verify the accuracy of the data on the DVD after burning, such as Nero) and then delete the zipped files from your hard drive, then unzip them onto your hard drive from the DVDs. You could accomplish the same thing if you have another computer on your network with some free hard drive space. Basically, anything you can do to get the zipped files off of your crammed hard drive and then unzip them back to your system will help. You may find that you still don't have enough room, though.

You might, also, want to take the opportunity to clean up your hard drive and defrag it (after you get the zipped files off of it).

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 09:40 AM   #2
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

If all you have is the 120GB, then I echo DT's suggestion of getting a second drive if at all possible. Modern software, and games especially, will eat that up in nothing flat! I have a 160GB that came with my computer, and got a 500GB for Christmas that I use just for games. At the moment both are about half full.

If you can't get a second or bigger drive, but manage to make enough space for the NBC mod, DO NOT use JSGME to install it!! JSGME copies the files from it's Mods folder to the destination, thus requiring at least double the drive space. You can either extract the KPO folder directly in the Radio folder if your program does that, or extract everything to a temp folder and just "move" the KPO folder.

I am sorry for your problems. The NBC station is so large because they had the overwhemlingly vast majority of the most popular programs from that era. And as I mention earlier in this thread, I couldn't decide what to leave out.

And now for what could be either good news, or bad news, depending upon your POV: I'm planning at least one, maybe two more add-ons for the NBC station. Thus asking for even more hard drive space, should you choose to use it. Right now I'm working on a CBS add-on, then I have to do a KGMB version. So it'll be a couple of weeks before I start the NBC one. So consider yourselves warned!!
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 11:17 AM   #3
spike12
Gunner

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 0

Your links are broken,I can't find any of your downloads!
spike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 11:51 AM   #4
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike12
Your links are broken,I can't find any of your downloads!
Downloaded all files for AFN, one showed to be corrupted, but indeed can't download anymore. LINKS ARE REALLY BROKEN. plse restore the links.

edit: tried to PM fred8615, but no reply yet. That is a pitty, because is Radio Mods are really great. I enjoy them particularly during transfer. To my surprise I found out that not that many people use his mods. Possibly due to the huge downloads. Hope one day the files are available for download again. In the meantime, happy hunting with our without (extra) radio-stations.

Last edited by Aniuk; 09-07-08 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 08:35 AM   #5
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Fred, you should join Silent Hunter Mods Forum and ask for an FTP account, so you can store your radio mods there.
SHMF will not frequently delete this or that mod because of size or infrequently downloads.

Just click my sig to go there...

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano

Last edited by Carotio; 05-23-09 at 09:33 AM.
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 11:38 AM   #6
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Is there a known limit to event.ini size?

Fred,
I am working on creating a "personal" radio station with timed events using my entire archive collection. I'm not trying to re-create a particular radio station.
Have you discovered any limitations to how many events can be in the event.ini file?
By the time I get done, there may be thousands. Just wondering.

BTW, thank you for your dedication to reproducing the WW2 era in radio programs. I enjoy your work immensely and I am inspired by it to produce my own work.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 08:45 AM   #7
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Answered via e-mail.
Old 11-11-08, 10:18 PM   #8
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Could someone post the part from the readme that has to be added to the radio.ini pls....

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 09:02 AM   #9
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Answered via e-mail.
Fred,
I never got your email reply. Could you please resend? Thanks.
Front Runner

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 03:53 PM   #10
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default music question

Hi. I have not downloaded any mucic yet, but I am about to begin that endeavor. I saw a post some time ago regarding playing music on the radio, but quit searching for it because it was taking a long time to read through all of the posts, and I never did find the post I was searching for. Rather than having the music files in the gramaphone, I prefer to listen to them on the radio. Several radio stations folders contain subfolders labeled "1941", "1942", etc.

If I move downlaoded songs for 1941, for example, into the 1941 folder for a particular station , will the station play music? (As you noted in the original post, some captains do not want 1945 music, for example, playing during 1941, so downloaded songs for 1945 would be naturally be moved to the 1945 folder.)

If ithe station will play music, will the songs play when there is no news being broadcast by that station?

If the radio stations will play music without screwing up the news, then conceptually one could install 1941 songs into each radio station that contains a 1941 folder, although it would use up a lot of space on a hard drive, and might require selecting one station for the intallation of the music files to save hard drive space, or alternatively, using an external hard drive to provide enough disk space to load the files into several station folders. Am I on the right track (no pun intended)?

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 12-18-08 at 03:31 AM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 01:51 AM   #11
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

I have a crazy, quick idea of how to workaround the 180deg longitude limitation with SH4. What if you wanted a radio station at 0degN and 175degW? You couldn't hear it as you crossed the international date line despite the station only being 5 degrees away.

What if you made two radio stations?
1, 0*N 175*W
2. 0*N 185*E

The second station is "off the map" so to speak since it's beyond the normal limitations of the latitude/longitude system but the programming might not care about longitudes in excess of 180 degrees.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 08:19 AM   #12
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
I have a crazy, quick idea of how to workaround the 180deg longitude limitation with SH4. What if you wanted a radio station at 0degN and 175degW? You couldn't hear it as you crossed the international date line despite the station only being 5 degrees away.

What if you made two radio stations?
1, 0*N 175*W
2. 0*N 185*E

The second station is "off the map" so to speak since it's beyond the normal limitations of the latitude/longitude system but the programming might not care about longitudes in excess of 180 degrees.
I don't think that would work. The game probably wouldn't play the station because it couldn't read the 185 setting. And if it did, you would still have have the problem of switching over to that station causing any scripted programs that played on the first station to repeat all over again on the second. I originally had my AFRS stations as 4 separate ones in different locations and having only about a 2500 nm range. But even though all used the same folder for programing, switching from one to another would cause this to happen. So in later updates I gave a 2 or single station option.

As of this morning BtS is still down. I'm sorry to say you'll just to bear with it until they're back. Or, maybe send some polite messages or PMs to Neal asking him to let me upload them here.
Old 08-12-09, 08:36 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Hi Fred, just answered your PM, mate. Thanks

Does anyone know what's going on with BTS?
Old 08-12-09, 09:08 AM   #14
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Well fred8615, otherwise I have room for you too, if you want?
How much do you have, 30gb+ or more?

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 09:15 AM   #15
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with BTS?
A post on this here.

Looks like some maintenance is being done.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, radio, radio stations