SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-19, 05:26 PM   #8386
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Hi all!

I'm coming back to the game after a lengthy hiatus. Fortunately, there are still a few names I recognize.

Anyway, after loading up SH4, the large area address fix and JSGME, I decided to give FOTRS a go. After downloading and unzipping the mod into the folder, I get a load error that indicates a couple of files are missing. They are as follows:

data/menu/data/black80.tga
data/menu/skins/american/gui/intelligenceunits/paper.dds

I'm planning to re-download the mod and try again, but I thought it might be wise to report the issue, in case someone else experiences the same thing. I didn't see any evidence of this particular problem after searching the thread.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying out all your hard work.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 05:43 PM   #8387
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR Resser View Post
Hi all!

I'm coming back to the game after a lengthy hiatus. Fortunately, there are still a few names I recognize.

Anyway, after loading up SH4, the large area address fix and JSGME, I decided to give FOTRS a go. After downloading and unzipping the mod into the folder, I get a load error that indicates a couple of files are missing. They are as follows:

I'm planning to re-download the mod and try again, but I thought it might be wise to report the issue, in case someone else experiences the same thing. I didn't see any evidence of this particular problem after searching the thread.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying out all your hard work.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

You can find the latest version of FOTRSU here if you need it.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 06:44 PM   #8388
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
You can find the latest version of FOTRSU here if you need it.

Thanks for the link. I tried it as well and had the same issue. Everything appears to be working, but after the mod is enabled, the game freezes on the loading screen. While that looks great, I was hoping to get farther.

I really appreciate the prompt assistance.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
Old 07-28-19, 07:50 PM   #8389
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I tried it as well and had the same issue. Everything appears to be working, but after the mod is enabled, the game freezes on the loading screen. While that looks great, I was hoping to get farther.

I really appreciate the prompt assistance.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

What version of SH4 are you currently using? Is it from a disc or downloaded from somewhere?

Old 07-28-19, 08:35 PM   #8390
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin View Post
... Are you saying this version already has the correct horizon geometry? What about the angular size of the sun and the moon? ...
As previously stated, CapnScurvy has tweaked all of those aspects to be in compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
@Prop
I was in the Narwhal and yes I was the f12 external camera...lesson learned
That still shouldn't CTD the game. I'll look into that. But as merc4ulfate said "stop doing that!"...

Quote:
... After downloading and unzipping the mod into the folder, I get a load error that indicates a couple of files are missing. They are as follows:

As cdrsubron7 is alluding to, that sounds like a v1.4 of the game trying to run a v1.5 mod...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 10:08 PM   #8391
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

That’s what it was, wrong version.

I grabbed the wrong disc and loaded it up, updated it, and got all the way to the point I mentioned above before I realized my initial error.

I did get the correct version (1.5) installed before I had to stop for a bit. I will have it running in the morning.

It REALLY has been a long time since I played with this game.

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 07-29-19, 04:28 AM   #8392
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As previously stated, CapnScurvy has tweaked all of those aspects to be in compliance.
Brilliant!
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 12:02 PM   #8393
Hoster1472
Swabbie

Downloads: 190
Default Save games

Hi everyone,
i installed the game correctly deleting old save games. I can start the mission in the harbour and play the game, everything ok. But when I save the game and restart loading the file the game always crashed. Whats wrong? Any ideas? Thanks for replies.
Hoster1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 05:47 PM   #8394
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Do you know if you have LAA activated properly on your SH4.exe file, Hoster1472?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 02:57 AM   #8395
Hoster1472
Swabbie

Downloads: 190

Yes, it is activated. Strange, it seems that nobody else has the same difficulties...
Hoster1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 11:42 AM   #8396
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoster1472 View Post
Yes, it is activated. Strange, it seems that nobody else has the same difficulties...

Just asking, was the copy of SH4 your using a fresh copy or one that you have installed other mods over before?

Old 07-30-19, 12:27 PM   #8397
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default I’m on my way back

After LOTS of work IRL and a major computer crash, I’m getting all set to download v90. Time for a visit to Empire waters.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 07:33 PM   #8398
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoster1472 View Post
Hi everyone,
i installed the game correctly deleting old save games. I can start the mission in the harbour and play the game, everything ok. But when I save the game and restart loading the file the game always crashed. Whats wrong? Any ideas? Thanks for replies.
If you followed Capt Scruvy's installation directions those files should have been deleted before your installation and so should your data files.

From Capt Scurvy:

As we await the next release...… there are a few things every player should do to make sure their Stock game is ready.

1. Run JSGME's "Compare game files to snapshot" feature from it's "Tasks..." menu (found in the center of the JSGME main page). Your Stock game files should be exactly as they were when you first took that "Snapshot" way back when you first installed the game, with JSGME added. YOU DID TAKE A "SNAPSHOT" DIDN"T YOU?!?!

If NOT?!? Reinstall the game and this time with a clean install..... take one!! How will you know your game isn't corrupt by mod/file changing if you don't have a reference to go back to? JSGME has a README explaining what to do.....READ IT and follow the instructions.

2. Delete your "Documents/SH4" folder before running the game with the new Public Beta added. You'll have to reset your game Options/Graphics setting for your specific monitor resolution, exit the game, and restart for the resolution to take effect. But, that's a small price to pay for insuring your Stock game is ready for the changes "Ultimate" will bring to the game.

Don't use any of your old saved games, let any new saves be made from a clean start with the latest edition added. Old saved games will not run correctly with the newer files .....don't use them! By deleting the previous SH4 folder, you're deleting those older saves and setting up your game with a fresh start. Do this now, and do it anytime you think there's trouble with corruption to the Stock game files.

3. By all means, follow the guidance from "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" if you have a newer computer than Windows XP, and have more than 3 gigs of RAM memory!!

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 10:01 PM   #8399
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Success! I'm playing FOTRSUv90

After work today, I reinstalled SH4 and then the Corruption Management System, created a FOTRSU folder, (don't forget to change the "read only" settings to "off" for the entire folder,) set up JSGME and I took a test run.
It looks great!
Anyway, it is good to be back in the game.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 07-31-19 at 07:48 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 10:43 AM   #8400
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Default Mission Crashs

I am driving the S-38, in June of 1942, in the Solomon Islands on my third patrol. Twice, so far, when I clicked the envelope to get a new mission, I got a game crash. These crashes were non-sequential. I am pretty sure they were caused by something in the mission file, but cannot tell which one or ones they were, because the game crashed (so this report is of limited value).

I am playing a new, virgin copy of the game which I bought for FOTRS .90, installed on my E: drive, and I deleted the SH4 file and I use the Large Memory Aware program.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote