SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-19, 07:37 PM   #8371
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Do Not Add Any Mods to Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate.
Got it

It's just sometimes when browsing mods or these "Mods You Need" type threads I get the collector's fever and I suddenly need to have them all. But of course you're right. Upon reflection I agree that pretty much everything necessary is already in FOTRSU or is planned to be integrated at some point. And it's also somewhat obvious that an environment mod from 2008 probably isn't a smart addition to a super mod that came out a few weeks ago in its lates iteration.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 08:52 PM   #8372
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

We do need to find someone to do a mod for proper set-up for "real navigating", plus a usable sextant that is compatible with FotRSU for you bonkerz-nutz navigators to "shoot" the stars... - then after some testing, maybe we can declare "It works!" or as Rockin Robbins has said "It's broken!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 09:52 PM   #8373
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Default Strange Orders

Received strange radio message near end of February which said when I exited Makassar Straight, go to some island just north of Jakarta, "as shown on chart" and report weather conditions. Uh, not on my chart. Found Jakarta on Google map, but could not find the island. No binocular or star symbol on game map. Sailed on over to Jakarta and several islands near by and then radioed base and was told to continue my mission. Gave up and went about my business.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 07-26-19 at 10:23 AM.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 05:23 AM   #8374
YellowFin
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We do need to find someone to do a mod for proper set-up for "real navigating", plus a usable sextant that is compatible with FotRSU for you bonkerz-nutz navigators to "shoot" the stars... - then after some testing, maybe we can declare "It works!" or as Rockin Robbins has said "It's broken!"
I'm willing to test it
Old 07-26-19, 10:11 AM   #8375
YellowFin
Engineer

Quote:
:[COLOR="Red"]
I downloaded the latest version again. Unzipped it and there is was the subfolder for the new version says 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.90_RC2_PublicBe ta_EN
While the parent folder says

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.90_RC3_PublicBeta_EN

Is this a typo or did the new release not get entered correctly in the download section?
I have also noticed this stacking of directories, once unzipped. Is this working as intended?
Old 07-26-19, 11:32 PM   #8376
propbeanie

Quote:
I downloaded the latest version again. Unzipped it and there is was the subfolder for the new version says 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.90_RC2_PublicBe ta_EN
While the parent folder says

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.90_RC3_PublicBeta_EN

Is this a typo or did the new release not get entered correctly in the download section?
Definite typo. We'll look into the blind planes etc. also! thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Received strange radio message near end of February which said when I exited Makassar Straight, go to some island just north of Jakarta, "as shown on chart" and report weather conditions. Uh, not on my chart. Found Jakarta on Google map, but could not find the island. No binocular or star symbol on game map. Sailed on over to Jakarta and several islands near by and then radioed base and was told to continue my mission. Gave up and went about my business.
The "North Watcher" is not in the world's "model", probably because its elevation isn't high, and / or it's too small in area to be identified with one pixel of "land" texture. However, there should have been a "North Watcher" labeled red circle on the NavMap marking where it is, north of Java toward the west end of the island. If you travel toward there, you should "trip" the trigger that then tells you to end patrol. This mimics what one of the S-boats was assigned. I'll look in the circle artwork and make sure it's going into the proper folder... thanks.

Old 07-27-19, 03:48 AM   #8377
YellowFin
Engineer

Default Celestial Navigation and FOTRSU

I'm investigating the practicability of CN with FOTRSU. Two problems I came across are from the description of this mod:

Download Real Navigation Mod for SH4 v1.4

From their description:

Quote:
First the visibility has been increased to about 20km with a Horizon setting of 2300 upped from the default 1000 that gives 8km. This first of all enables you to track ships over the horizon from the masts and funnels, but allso puts the horizon at the correct "level" for SR and SS measurements.
Secondly the periscope, binocular and TBT angular angles has been fixed to you can measure correct altitudes of fx. landmass with the scope. I dont know how accurate the landmass altitudes are, but IF its somewhat precise you can plot from land sightings now non the less.
Thired I have deminished the sunsize to the real live angular size of 0,5° - so it will be a lot smaller then your used to. Same value goes for the moon as it shares angular size with the sun.
Apparently the horizon isn't correct, at least, presumably, in the stock game. What is FOTRSU's position on that? Was it corrected or is FOTRSU using stock horizon geometry? From my limited understanding of CN I believe the correct position of the horizon to be fairly important if one is to obtain any reasonable values for CN calculations.

Quote:
Fourth I have allso made a new sextant image that pops up with the stopwatch, and is draggable with it. To me this works just fine as im used to use the stopwatch anyway when taking sun rises/sets.
Aside from precise chronometers of course it is necessary to obtain equally precise angular distances in the vertical as well as in the horizontal from the in-game sky.

Can FOTRSU accomodate for a sextant?
Old 07-27-19, 03:53 AM   #8378
YellowFin
Engineer

Default Less Sily Map Markers

I haven't tested this mod myself, but could the map markers in FOTRSU be changed from the cartoon like marker to something a little more military like?

strategic_map_symbols
Old 07-27-19, 08:37 AM   #8379
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

About included mods:

Is TDW Fire damage mod included?

BTW, I added LST for TMO without problems (until now).

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 02:53 PM   #8380
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177
Default Insertion freeze

April 30 1942 - I am preparing to surface off the coast of Saipan to complete my insertions mission. I am sailing out of Fremantle and am about 1000 yds off the coast of Saipan. I surface and get the launch or postpone box and the game freezes every time. I have .90 installed with a fresh game install to include having previously deleted the save game folder (SH4). Any thoughts?

Update - Okay I had been in the external camera viewpoint for every attempt and every freeze. I tried it again in the map view and was successful!!

Last edited by Sniper450; 07-27-19 at 03:04 PM.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 07:11 PM   #8381
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin View Post
I haven't tested this mod myself, but could the map markers in FOTRSU be changed from the cartoon like marker to something a little more military like?

strategic_map_symbols
I like it...

Not sure where the second tag came from??? But I know a man who does....
Old 07-27-19, 09:59 PM   #8382
propbeanie

Working up the page:

I remember messing with that strategic map symbols thingie, and have it somewhere on this hard drive... dad-blame-it... which folder... but I was testing it for compatibility. Maybe I can get back into that and get that ready for certification...

@ Sniper450: when you say "I had been in the external camera viewpoint", are you referring to the F12 External Camera, or are you referring to being on the F4 Bridge View? You should be on the Bridge View, but I was able to use the External Camera more than once for other tests of those files... which submarine are you driving? I'll look into that after I finish testing these photo missions...

@ fitzcarraldo: I am not certain, but MadMax was mentioning it a few years ago, but there are no credits for it in the FOTRS_ReadMe.rtf file. also, if you are referring to "Landing Ship Tank", there is already one of those in FotRSU, but I am not sure of its lineage...

@ YellowFin: The main problem with that mod is that it is written for SH4 v1.4, not 1.5. There are several major differences in the menu_1024_768.ini file, so it cannot be used directly. In the meantime, CapnScurvy has gone through and edited the horizon, the magnification, the views etc., and they are good to go. As for "precision", when it comes to a computer screen, there is no such thing. Being off one pixel when aiming, might be a large error, depending upon your screen resolution. In real life though, it be similar...

Old 07-27-19, 10:25 PM   #8383
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
April 30 1942 - I am preparing to surface off the coast of Saipan to complete my insertions mission. I am sailing out of Fremantle and am about 1000 yds off the coast of Saipan. I surface and get the launch or postpone box and the game freezes every time. I have .90 installed with a fresh game install to include having previously deleted the save game folder (SH4). Any thoughts?

Update - Okay I had been in the external camera viewpoint for every attempt and every freeze. I tried it again in the map view and was successful!!
Don't use camera view.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 05:46 AM   #8384
YellowFin
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ YellowFin: The main problem with that mod is that it is written for SH4 v1.4, not 1.5. There are several major differences in the menu_1024_768.ini file, so it cannot be used directly. In the meantime, CapnScurvy has gone through and edited the horizon, the magnification, the views etc., and they are good to go. As for "precision", when it comes to a computer screen, there is no such thing. Being off one pixel when aiming, might be a large error, depending upon your screen resolution. In real life though, it be similar...

Thank you. I'm running 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.90_RC2_PublicBe ta_EN. Are you saying this version already has the correct horizon geometry? What about the angular size of the sun and the moon? According to the mod text stock sun and moon are too large and were reduced. Is this also the case for the latest version of FOTRSU?

Old 07-28-19, 02:20 PM   #8385
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

@Prop
I was in the Narwhal and yes I was the f12 external camera...lesson learned
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote