SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-20, 12:30 PM   #1
scrim
Swabbie

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Deck gun dealing no damage

As described by the title, the deck guns does nothing at all in terms of damage.

First I had a go at a small sub chaser. No effect after 20-30 hits, so I checked here and saw someone say that specific ship had no damage model or something to that effect. However, I just now had another go with the gun at a composite freighter, and 150 shots later it had infliced only cosmetic damage, but nothing else.

This problem arrises on a Sargo class in the campaign. Of possible note is that it does not seem to present itself in the submarine school with the S-18 sub.

Running these mods:

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Poul-Sound for SH4
Hydrophone Line Original

Last edited by scrim; 12-20-20 at 01:15 PM.
scrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 02:03 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

scrim! I see the infamous 7-year-itch has struck again!...you've finally surfaced since joining in 2014! Nice silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 04:20 PM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Where are you aiming on your target?

Try for at/below the waterline (You get the splash and an explosion), and see if you get better results. Also, don't concentrate on one spot, but spread your hits out along the length of the target. The more holes you put in more compartments, the more water gets into the ship.
Old 12-20-20, 05:11 PM   #4
scrim
Swabbie

I'm satisfied that that is not the issue. Absolutely no ship of any kind registers any kind of damage bar cosmetic damage from deck gun attacks.

I've literally emptied all 200 shells into both small patrol craft, sub chasers, smaller freighters, etc. without even causing a slight list. The waterlines are more pock marked than a 14 year old boy's face, yet nothing happens.
Old 12-20-20, 08:09 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

A couple-three of things you could try:
1. Empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) and try again
2. Remove the Sonar Lines and the Poul's Sound mods, and see what happens (and do #1)
3. Live with it, the way the mod set is, if you have done #1...
I mention #3 because in RFB, they turned the 3" gun shell's damage way down, to simulate the fact that they weren't even as strong as a pea shooter, with the idea in the mod being, that you should not be on the surface trying to duke it out with surface vessels. Same applies to AA. Sea airplane: Crash Dive!!!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 11:30 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrim View Post
I'm satisfied that that is not the issue. Absolutely no ship of any kind registers any kind of damage bar cosmetic damage from deck gun attacks.

I've literally emptied all 200 shells into both small patrol craft, sub chasers, smaller freighters, etc. without even causing a slight list. The waterlines are more pock marked than a 14 year old boy's face, yet nothing happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I mention #3 because in RFB, they turned the 3" gun shell's damage way down, to simulate the fact that they weren't even as strong as a pea shooter, with the idea in the mod being, that you should not be on the surface trying to duke it out with surface vessels. Same applies to AA. Sea (sic) airplane: Crash Dive!!!
i would agree with PB's #d in his response.
the shell effect really is minimal.

so, either live with it or go and download the Subnuclear Deck Gun mod that someone made years ago and apply that after the RFB/RDRD mods.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-20, 02:20 PM   #7
scrim
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
1. Empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) and try again
This likely did the trick. I can't say for sure since I tried a whole bunch of different things at once, but this does strike me as the most likely reason the deck gun is functional again.

Thanks PB, and the rest of you, for the help! Happy hunting and a happy New Year!