SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-20, 12:25 PM   #301
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
https://streamable.com/5201r2

if it works!
ignore the obvious glitches, its the old conning tower, not finished the new one yet. and the deck gun
The boat looks great!

I'm very happy to see you return to this project, it's on top of everyone's wishlist. Fingers crossed
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 03:14 PM   #302
kms bismarck
Swabbie

Downloads: 118
Uploads: 0

Wow, that looks really amazing!!!
Can't wait to take it to the seas!!!
kms bismarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 11:45 AM   #303
CPTLTJASON
Kapitan.z.S Hartmann

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 1

Welcome back mkiii !, the boat Looks beautiful, can’t wait to do a 1,000+ day patrol in it! Already got the boat number picked out and everything!!!!

Kapitan.z.S Hartmann's (U-35,U-46-U-204-U-332-U-256-U-293, U-838, U-830, U-834, U-1188, U-1180, U-835, U-840, U-839, Schiff 44 “AFRIKA”, Schiff 77 "Stortebecker", "Schiff 66 "WOLF", Schiff 19, Schiff 30) motto: Eastward Ho!
"Be more aggressive"

Schiff 30 wird sie alle versenken!

Last edited by CPTLTJASON; 11-03-20 at 05:46 PM.
CPTLTJASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-20, 06:13 PM   #304
mkiii
Soundman

Downloads: 117

I`m looking for an early version of TDW`S GR2 Editor that can add bones,
seem to remember 1.1.190 being mentioned in a post,

the later versions just throw a "can`t access a closed stream" error.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 12:53 PM   #305
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
my apologies for the prolonged abscence, been a rather poor couple of years [...]
Welcome back mate, I am glad to get your news after such a long silence, and sorry

Quote:
https://streamable.com/5201r2

if it works!
ignore the obvious glitches, its the old conning tower, not finished the new one yet. and the deck gun
WOW, simply WOW. Your upcoming mod is a real turning point!

Out od curiosity, did you import type IX's interior as well? I think some subaim fellow (maybe Flakmonkey) had modelled one for SHIII and given permission for others to use his work in their own mods.

Quote:
I`m looking for an early version of TDW`S GR2 Editor that can add bones,
seem to remember 1.1.190 being mentioned in a post,

the later versions just throw a "can`t access a closed stream" error.
This is my personal collection of TDW's GR2 Editor versions from v 1.1.265.1 to 1.1.453.1:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cb609a..._453_1.7z/file

The earliest versions have their bone-cloning functionalities working.
Let us know if there is anything elese that you need from the community
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 01:39 PM   #306
mkiii
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Welcome back mate, I am glad to get your news after such a long silence, and sorry

thanks gap,

WOW, simply WOW. Your upcoming mod is a real turning point!

Out od curiosity, did you import type IX's interior as well? I think some subaim fellow (maybe Flakmonkey) had modelled one for SHIII and given permission for others to use his work in their own mods.

I downloaded these, never got the chance to look at them properly though,
will get to it eventually.

This is my personal collection of TDW's GR2 Editor versions from v 1.1.265.1 to 1.1.453.1:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cb609a..._453_1.7z/file

The earliest versions have their bone-cloning functionalities working.
Let us know if there is anything elese that you need from the community
you gave me those gap, tbh I have only tried making new bones, not cloning them, will give it a go.
Old 11-04-20, 01:50 PM   #307
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
you gave me those gap, tbh I have only tried making new bones, not cloning them, will give it a go.
Afaik no GR2Edit version has any working bone creation feature.

I have always cloned bones using one of the versions included in the package I already sent you. I don't remember which version exactly, but I think that only the last four or five have the said feature broken, all the others should be good for performing that task
Old 11-04-20, 02:49 PM   #308
mkiii
Soundman

most of the early versions will not open files created with the last version,
most of them crash out cloning, or report broken chains.

all except 1.1.434.1 this version just opened my ix hull .gr2, it cloned a bone, saved the file, and it opens using the last version without errors,
so after this success I created a completely new bone, saved the file and it reopens in the last version without errors

I must never have tried this version, I just picked randomly out of the 33 versions you gave me, this time I started trying every one.

so I have cloned 1 bone, and created 3 new ones, in the same file, it opens in granny viewer, and it opens in goblin, so it seems to be working fine.

Last edited by mkiii; 11-04-20 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 03:18 PM   #309
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
most of the early versions will not open files created with the last version,
most of them crash out cloning, or report broken chains.

all except 1.1.434.1 this version just opened my ix hull .gr2, it cloned a bone, saved the file, and it opens using the last version without errors,
so after this success I created a completely new bone, saved the file and it reopens in the last version without errors

I must never have tried this version, I just picked randomly out of the 33 versions you gave me, this time I started trying every one.

so I have cloned 1 bone, and created 3 new ones, in the same file, it opens in granny viewer, and it opens in goblin, so it seems to be working fine.
Most of the earliest versions have problems even opening stock files lol

I am glad that you finally managed adding the new bones

P.S: you didn't answer my question about the U-boat interior... Have you imported it already or are you planning to do it? That must be one of the trickiest parts: too many gauges, animated parts and crew animations to set up...
Old 11-04-20, 04:14 PM   #310
mkiii
Soundman

well for a start we cannot create gr2 anims, so unless we can merge dat animations into the sub, it will be static meshes,

I spent ages trying to make the torp door+anims work for the ix without any great success.
I had started to do an aft torpedo room with 2 tubes in it. for the sake of appearances. then was going to worry about the rest at a later date.

not even looked at the waypoint stuff, although I remember "Vanilla" was doing things with them, with good results,

The main drawback is not being able to create new meshes, all we can do is subset meshes into one, and then repurpose the meshes for something else.
we can only work within the capability of the tools at hand.

I just do one thing till it works, then move on to the next problem, spend too much time looking at the big picture and its too much work.
Old 11-04-20, 05:11 PM   #311
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
well for a start we cannot create gr2 anims, so unless we can merge dat animations into the sub, it will be static meshes,
That's certainly a possibility, nonetheless recently I dealt with dat (keyframed in my case) animation using S3e, and they are a bit tricky too...

Quote:
not even looked at the waypoint stuff, although I remember "Vanilla" was doing things with them, with good results
If you mean waypoints for walking crew animations, adding them should be a nobrainer (they are basically bones which can be cloned and moved around), but then, a new set of crew scripts would be required.

Quote:
The main drawback is not being able to create new meshes, all we can do is subset meshes into one, and then repurpose the meshes for something else.
we can only work within the capability of the tools at hand.
This is true, but should a GR2 file not have enough meshes, there is always the chance to link a GR2 model to another model stored in another file. I have not SH5 installed currently so I can't give you more details, but there is a special controller for this purpose and I think silentmichal exploited it for his interior mod

Quote:
I just do one thing till it works, then move on to the next problem, spend too much time looking at the big picture and its too much work.
You are naking a good point. Facing problems one by one is the only possible approach in this case
Old 11-04-20, 05:27 PM   #312
mkiii
Soundman

I looked at keyframe stuff in the dats with s3d as well, figured I would be better getting the other things right on the ix first, before trying to learn a completely new thing.

must be the merge controller, saw that in goblin, thats what got me thinking about using the dat animations for the torp doors.

I also considered using a dial controller on each door bone, the logic being if it can move a mesh needle, it can move a mesh door also, just need to play with the numbers, to make it look reasonable....."maybe"
Old 11-04-20, 06:05 PM   #313
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I looked at keyframe stuff in the dats with s3d as well, figured I would be better getting the other things right on the ix first, before trying to learn a completely new thing.
I see another problem with dat animations: the SH5 engine is able triggering the appropriate animations when the right time comes. Dat animations used in SH5 might lack support and play indefinitely (just like the imported DC racks before Vecko removed the animation stuff from them)... but as you suggested, let's face problems one by one!

Quote:
must be the merge controller, saw that in goblin, thats what got me thinking about using the dat animations for the torp doors.
Exactly that!

Quote:
I also considered using a dial controller on each door bone, the logic being if it can move a mesh needle, it can move a mesh door also, just need to play with the numbers, to make it look reasonable....."maybe"
Yes, that's another possible approach, the main drawback still being triggering conditions for the animations to be played
Old 12-30-20, 08:13 PM   #314
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Found this screenshot of your previous work mkiii. I must admit , my heart's trembling every time I see it...

This is what we should focus on in my opinion.

Last edited by vdr1981; 12-30-20 at 08:21 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 08:24 PM   #315
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Sadly no updates yet....

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote