SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-20, 08:55 AM   #11
Vlaxie
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
Could you provide the latitude, declination and Ho (altitude) of the Sun? That would help me double check the calculation.

You left out the "cos(LHA)" part of the equation above, so I'm not sure if you took that into account. It means that you must find the arccosine of the result from what you did quote. Another way to write the equation (which might make more sense) is:

acos((sin(Ho) - sin(Dec.) · sin(Lat.)) / (cos(Dec.) · cos(Lat.))) = LHA

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that, technically, the result you get is not necessarily the LHA proper. It is actually what is sometimes referred to as "t": the "meridian angle" of the Sun (or how many degrees away from the local meridian the Sun is, either east or west). If you took your sight after local noon, t = LHA. If you took your sight before local noon, 360° - t = LHA.

The difference between the LHA and GHA of the Sun is your longitude. If your actual longitude is indeed 19°04' E, then the Sun will be 19°04' farther west at your location. If we add your longitude to the GHA of the Sun, we get: 59°58' + 19°04' = 79°02'. That is what the LHA of the Sun will be at your location. (Hint: when comparing GHA to LHA, add longitude to GHA if east of Greenwich, subtract if west.)

If we take the arccosine of 0.82, we get t = 34.9152... or 34°54.9'. Since you state that you took the sight after local noon, t = LHA. This is clearly way off from the expected value of 79°02'. On the other hand, assuming you did take the arccosine of the result, 0.82° = 0°49.2' ... also way off.

But, again, I would need all of the actual data to begin to track down exactly what went wrong. It could very well be that the sim does not have the Sun at the correct altitude for your location. Multiple people on this forum have come to the conclusion that SH does not correctly model the positions of the heavenly bodies. I do not play SH, so I cannot personally verify this.

Alrighty, I measured again and here are the numbers, these are from the 1st of September 1939, 16:00 GMT (17:00 hrs local)

Ho 21° 34'
dec N 8° 27.4'
lat N 54° 41'

The Sun's GHA at the time of measurement is 59° 58.0 and I know that my actual longitude is around 19° 04' E. I've been wondering about the accuracy of SH5's celestial sphere, but I found that latitude myself and it's pretty accurate to what the ingame navigator calculates so I'm hoping it's good enough for longitude too (also I measured that sun angle in a slightly rough sea so if the result is a bit different than expected that's the reason why)
Vlaxie is offline   Reply With Quote