SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-19, 11:06 AM   #8401
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
I am driving the S-38, in June of 1942, in the Solomon Islands on my third patrol. Twice, so far, when I clicked the envelope to get a new mission, I got a game crash. These crashes were non-sequential. I am pretty sure they were caused by something in the mission file, but cannot tell which one or ones they were, because the game crashed (so this report is of limited value).

I am playing a new, virgin copy of the game which I bought for FOTRS .90, installed on my E: drive, and I deleted the SH4 file and I use the Large Memory Aware program.
Thank you for that Michael Wood. More than enough information. You are using the Status Update, which then goes into the DynamicMiss.cfg file to look for other assignments to give you. For whatever reason, it is attempting to pull something invalid. Whether it is an invalid section number, assignment code, or whatever, I don't know, but we'll dig into that also. Not that it matters in the long run, but did you start in Manila at the start of the war, or in Fremantle later? Did all of the transfers to other bases function apparently as intended? Thanks

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 11:45 AM   #8402
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thank you for that Michael Wood. More than enough information. You are using the Status Update, which then goes into the DynamicMiss.cfg file to look for other assignments to give you. For whatever reason, it is attempting to pull something invalid. Whether it is an invalid section number, assignment code, or whatever, I don't know, but we'll dig into that also. Not that it matters in the long run, but did you start in Manila at the start of the war, or in Fremantle later? Did all of the transfers to other bases function apparently as intended? Thanks
I started in Manila, December 7th, in the S-38. I ran one patrol from Manila and one from Surabaya. I was transferred from Surabaya to Brisbane. Each of my two patrols lasted about 10 weeks and I completed 6 missions in each patrol, so I never was assigned to Perth.

Operating out of Brisbane, I saved, as I always do, before I clicked the new mission button. The program crashed each time. When I restarted the program and clicked on the new mission button, I was assigned a new mission in both cases. The first crash occurred after my second mission and the second crash occurred after the fifth mission.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 12:51 PM   #8403
propbeanie

Thank you much for that. I have found the issue, and it is "numerical" in nature, in that numbers were skipped (not in sequence) and some are duplicated - both of which are definite "no-no's" with compluters ... "Fix" will be in the next release! Just a matter of re-numbering practically the whole file... sigh...

Edit: Well, it seems it's more than that... Did you get any orders Michael Wood, or just a CTD as soon as you hit the envelope button? Thanks.

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-03-19 at 01:21 PM. Reason: :Hmmm:...
Old 08-03-19, 02:06 PM   #8404
burki
Watch

Downloads: 121

Is it just me or are enemy destroyers really bad? Like they dont even try to hunt me down and when they're right on top of me, I can make a lot of noise and they won't drop charges? Is this intended?
burki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 02:12 PM   #8405
burki
Watch

Im early war, like I just started.
Old 08-03-19, 02:15 PM   #8406
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
I started in Manila, December 7th, in the S-38. I ran one patrol from Manila and one from Surabaya. I was transferred from Surabaya to Brisbane. Each of my two patrols lasted about 10 weeks and I completed 6 missions in each patrol, so I never was assigned to Perth.

Operating out of Brisbane, I saved, as I always do, before I clicked the new mission button. The program crashed each time. When I restarted the program and clicked on the new mission button, I was assigned a new mission in both cases. The first crash occurred after my second mission and the second crash occurred after the fifth mission.
I can't even get a transfer to Brisbane how did you do that?

I started from Manila, was throw down to Surabaya then to Perth. I want to go to Brisbane but it never lets me. The planes pretty much ignore me now.

Feb 42 out of Perth I got a new boat, a Tambor. 3inch gun 50 cal only.

Did they give it to me to early and it borked the AA??

After I got it I transferred to Midway but they haven't offered anything but a 3inch or .50 either.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 02:16 PM   #8407
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki View Post
Im early war, like I just started.
Early IJN ASW was not particularly great no. They have tried to mod that into the game. Just think Happy Times in German ... it will end at some point.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-03-19, 02:20 PM   #8408
burki
Watch

Ah ok, yea I would think they'd at least depth charge a bit more.
Old 08-03-19, 03:46 PM   #8409
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post

I started from Manila, was throw down to Surabaya then to Perth. I want to go to Brisbane but it never lets me. The planes pretty much ignore me now.

After I got it I transferred to Midway but they haven't offered anything but a 3inch or .50 either.

I got the 20 mike mike June of 42

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-03-19, 04:26 PM   #8410
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Thank you much for that. I have found the issue, and it is "numerical" in nature, in that numbers were skipped (not in sequence) and some are duplicated - both of which are definite "no-no's" with compluters ... "Fix" will be in the next release! Just a matter of re-numbering practically the whole file... sigh...

Edit: Well, it seems it's more than that... Did you get any orders Michael Wood, or just a CTD as soon as you hit the envelope button? Thanks.
CTD as soon as I hit the button.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 05:29 PM   #8411
propbeanie

Quote:

At this point in time, FotRSU has minimal transfer opportunity early. Any boat that starts at Manila should go to Surabaya, then Fremantle. The S-Boats will then go to Brisbane on 1942-04-15, with the opportunity to take others there later (1942-07-01 for Salmon & Sargo). The Tambor class come online at Fremantle 1942-05-01, but is never at Brisbane.

As for the ASW and the airplanes, they both seem to be relatively "blind", which is NOT the way they were initially in v90. I'll have to look into the changes done for RC3... I'm still looking into what Michael Wood found (not good - but thanks for the report), and I've got a few more days of testing of the Panoramic Photo missions, and we'll hand-off to Rockin Robbins for final disposition of the next release.

Old 08-04-19, 12:13 PM   #8412
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
At this point in time, FotRSU has minimal transfer opportunity early. Any boat that starts at Manila should go to Surabaya, then Fremantle. The S-Boats will then go to Brisbane on 1942-04-15, with the opportunity to take others there later (1942-07-01 for Salmon & Sargo). The Tambor class come online at Fremantle 1942-05-01, but is never at Brisbane.

As for the ASW and the airplanes, they both seem to be relatively "blind", which is NOT the way they were initially in v90. I'll have to look into the changes done for RC3... I'm still looking into what Michael Wood found (not good - but thanks for the report), and I've got a few more days of testing of the Panoramic Photo missions, and we'll hand-off to Rockin Robbins for final disposition of the next release.
Odd I got the Tambor in February of 42 at Fremantle. Way to early.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-04-19, 07:43 PM   #8413
propbeanie

Quote:
Odd I got the Tambor in February of 42 at Fremantle. Way to early.
Oh my gosh! - you got a Tambor ~early~??!!! At Fremantle?... - now you're going to make me ask you many more questions...
1. What boat did you have prior to the Tambor?
2. Do you happen to know what your renown score was at the time?
3. Did you get a "normal" upgrade process, other than it being too early in time?...
I'm sure I'll think of more to ask later... Oh!
4. What were your mission assignments, if you happen to remember?
5. Did the submarine operate normally?
Thanks!

Old 08-05-19, 03:53 PM   #8414
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Oh my gosh! - you got a Tambor ~early~??!!! At Fremantle?... - now you're going to make me ask you many more questions...
1. What boat did you have prior to the Tambor?
2. Do you happen to know what your renown score was at the time?
3. Did you get a "normal" upgrade process, other than it being too early in time?...
I'm sure I'll think of more to ask later... Oh!
4. What were your mission assignments, if you happen to remember?
5. Did the submarine operate normally?
Thanks!
1. Sargo
2. 5000+
3. Yes, They offered it and I took it.
4. A couple North of luzon in S boats, I believe Sulu and Celebes Sea, After transferring to Surabaya- Off of Balikpapan, West of Makassar, Java Sea directly North of Surabaya, My first mission after arriving at Midway was just off the coast to Siam (I thought I had a bad odor and they wanted me as far away as possible on that one). The next one was off the coast of Hokkaido with an agent insertion.
5.The submarine seemed to operate normal but I heard sonar pings sound at weird times and the Tambor has never had her planes graphically proper for me. The support post always seems to be pushed through the plane and sometimes even almost criss crossing over the deck.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-05-19, 04:10 PM   #8415
propbeanie

OK, next set of questions:
  1. When you were assigned the Tambor, did you go to Pearl Harbor to get it?
  2. Midway? In other words, how did you get to Midway?
  3. Were you still assigned to Midway when you got the agent insertion?
  4. Did you try to transfer back to Fremantle or Brisbane?
  5. When you get the weird sonar pings, are you doing TC, and if so, how high?
  6. Or, are the sonar pings occurring when you re-load a Saved game?
  7. I do not have dive planes messed-up. Are you doing any "shelling" to Windows while playing the game?
Thanks