SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-11, 12:03 PM   #16
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBam View Post
I am using the 1680x1050 version and it seems to be out of scale. I used the ruler and it measures 3250 yards at the 3000 yard line and similar proportional errors at 750 and 1500 yards. I have comfirmed my game to be running 1680x1050.
Without looking over your shoulder and checking every little detail, I'm guessing your using the version of the "3000 Meter Bearing Plotter (1680x)" with the game set to the Imperial unit of measurement.

If you check the SubSim "Downloads" menu you will notice there are 8 listed "3000 Yard Bearing Plotters" and 8 "3000 Meter Bearing Plotters". Make sure you downloaded, and are using the correct version. A metric conversion of 3000 meters is nearly equal to the 3250 yards measurement you state the plotter is off.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 12:18 PM   #17
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Totally right, I just found the mistake myself and was coming to edit my post, thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by BillBam; 03-12-11 at 12:33 PM.
BillBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 02:30 PM   #18
exo
Nub

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the heads up on this.

What i have decided to do and seems to work, is to run my game at 1920x1080 and then use the 1920x plotter version. The lower resolution is better for my eyes anyway. Dont see so good after 40

Again thanks for the help.
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 05:24 AM   #19
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Neither one appears to work with OM?
Old 03-13-11, 09:14 AM   #20
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
Neither one appears to work with OM?
That may or may not be true. I've never tested it with OM.

As I've said all along these images are huge!!! The larger the game resolution, the larger the image file. Just about too large for the stock game to handle (combining it with another mod and I've got no idea if they will play nice together). Believe me, I would have liked to had them smaller but the game won't allow it (to have them scaled to fit the navigation map screen; what you see is what you get). It's this file size that's demanded of me to place the files into separate down loadable mods; categorized by resolution size and separated by a yards or meter version. It's not what I wanted but, to keep the down loadable size to a minimum they had to be separated.

Just why one of the specific resolutions may not work with OM could be the size factor again. Trying to push the game into unrealistic resolutions just because today's technology allows you to do it may be a mistake. As I pointed out earlier, the game was released in March 2007. It's heavily based on the SHIII game that goes back to before 2005 I believe. Many of the "native" images are based on the 1024x768 resolution size!! Anything larger and the game may begin to show its age, larger still and your computer is really carrying the load, not the game engine. The idea is, there is a breaking point to the what this game will take, all on its own. Model T's were never designed to run 70 mph!!

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-13-11, 10:05 AM   #21
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The old Model T. My grandad had one at his shop, guess that why I like the S18 and type 2.

As for your mod and others it works fine in TMO, but after looking around in OM it appears that the only Uboat is the type 9.

Your mod works perect in TMO though really enjoying it!

I'm playing at 1280x1024 by the way.
Old 03-14-11, 07:39 AM   #22
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
As for your mod and others it works fine in TMO, but after looking around in OM it appears that the only Uboat is the type 9.

Your mod works perect in TMO though really enjoying it!

I'm playing at 1280x1024 by the way.
OK, I think I've got a fix for you wishing to use OM and using the 1280x Bearing Plotter . I have never looked at OM, so not knowing which direction the mod heads kept me from giving you better advice until you mentioned the Type 9 sub.

What you need to do is pick the 3000 Yard or Meter Bearing Plotter you use (also the resolution, guess it's the 1280x version) and open it up to the Data/Submarine/ folder. Now, open the same folder in the OM mod and in the 3000 BP Submarine folder, add the various folders that the OM folder has that the 3000 BP doesn't have (should be the submarines OM uses). Just right click the Submarine folder and make a new folder(s), naming the same as what OM has. Now pick one of the 3000 BP folders (for instance, open up the Gato folder), and copy/paste the .dds image file to the folder(s) you just made. Rename this image file exactly like the folder is named. You should now have a plotter image file that will work with the added submarines OM uses.

Quote:
Old 03-17-11, 09:16 AM   #23
CapnScurvy
Admiral

A couple of things I should have added to my last post, but overlooked.

1st.
Remove the 3000 yard/meter bearing plotter from the game by "deactivating" it in JSGME before making changes to the files. If you don't, and make tweaks, the changes won't show when you run the game. The older "pre tweaked" files will still be loaded in JSGME and the game doesn't know any better. This isn't a big problem, just take the mod out of "activation", close out of JSGME, reopen JSGME, and activate the mod again. The new added/changed files will be loaded now.

2nd. This is a big problem.
Never, EVER, remove a mod out of sequence in JSGME. Follow the rule: "First one in, Last one out". If there are three mods loaded in JSGME, and you want to remove the middle mod, always remove the third mod before removing the second. JSGME tries to keep track of what gets overwritten by mods that follow other mods, changing files as they are loaded. Taking one out of sequence will create all kinds of trouble, never do it.

Quote:
Old 03-17-11, 09:59 AM   #24
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok I will give it a shot and see if I can get it to work this way. I use the metric with the ATO because thats what Europe uses.

Also I have to use 1024 because for some reason OM lags terribly on my rig when TMO runs smoothly at 1280.

I'll play around a bit with it and let you know. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-11, 01:09 PM   #25
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

That appears to have worked. Simple solution wish I would have thought about it.
Old 03-17-11, 05:47 PM   #26
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I wouldn't have thought of the added submarines and their folders until you mentioned it. The "3000 BP" works with TMO because the Narwhal and Tench class subs are in the mod (both subs are additions to the stock game), so adding the OM U-Boat folders/files to the "3000 BP" covers these newly added U-Boats as well. You only need to add the one .dds file, the other OM files will be picked up when JSGME loads them.

I pointed out those 2 rules to follow when using JSGME because many gamers don't realize what trouble they can get into when not working with JSGME properly. If you have ever used the JSGME tab called "Deactivate All" you will notice JSGME starts at the bottom of the activation list and removes each mod in sequence. It's done to keep the overwritten files of each specific mod, with the correct mod. Doing anything differently and you have just stepped into a pile of ........

If your game is running slowly, you made a good choice to drop the resolution to decrease the load.

I've said before, the "3000 BP" are very memory hungry. Adding them to a mod that MAY not have paid a lot of attention to key element images and their total image size, will only make things worse. I'm not accusing OM of being a memory hog but, when you describe one mod runs ok at a certain resolution when another has slow downs. I'm suspecting the size of the image files are the culprit. Using the "3000 BP" that is for the 1024x resolution is a good choice since it's the smallest memory sized image of the lot. Make sure you use one of the "Metric" versions of the "3000 BP (1024x)" too!

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-17-11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 09:00 PM   #27
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Captain with your permission I would be tickled to death if I might be able to handle the OM end of this mod. Seeing how simple of a solution it is I guesstimate that it will take five minutes per screen resolution to do.

Of course all credit would go to you. Just something to take off your hands.
Old 03-18-11, 07:25 AM   #28
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Captain with your permission I would be tickled to death if I might be able to handle the OM end of this mod. Seeing how simple of a solution it is I guesstimate that it will take five minutes per screen resolution to do.

Of course all credit would go to you. Just something to take off your hands.
Yes, by all means. Use the files as you see fit for a specific new mod(s) for OM. As you can see because the images are so large, I had to put them into individual downloads depending on resolution size and/or Imperial, Metric measurements. Made it confusing but workable. Do as you want, and thanks for the credit.

I've never played OM but I know the stock ships do not have correct height/length measurements as a general rule (well they don't have length measurements at all). OM uses the Allies as targets, and for the most part this group of stock ships are the worse group for having inaccurate height measurements. This is not a bit good if you rely on manual targeting for gaining a correct stadimeter reading, and impossible if you try to use the stock periscope telemeter divisions. Guess I'm just thinking out loud, but OM would be a good mod to make an Optical Targeting Correction for. One of these days I may get around to it. First RSRDC; TMO........

Best regards, and good luck.

Quote:
Old 03-18-11, 08:42 AM   #29
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the permission Captain!

I'm going to jump right into this, this morning and plan to have it posted in OM shortly, well as soon as I finish my cig.
Old 03-18-11, 10:25 AM   #30
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thought I would post the link to the [REL] thread here for anyone who might be interested.

Thanks to CapnScurvy for allowing permission to use his mod!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181491