SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-20, 11:07 AM   #16
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0

a small question: what if I have enabled brighter nights submod in TWOS 2.2? will it be compatible?

btw, the archive you uploaded doesn't open. Corrupted file error.
Please, check.
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 02:06 PM   #17
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokolov View Post
First, it's not my work, it's basically DynEnv (main mod)
Quote:
It's absolutely different environment
It seems that two subsim members, both named Sokolov, have posted in this thread. Who to believe?

Nice screenies by the way but I really think that your mod should only include the files that you have edited. In this way, it would be easier for people to compare your tweaks with the standard version of Dynamic Environment and to decide whether to install your mod on top of DynEnv or not
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 03:58 PM   #18
Demon777
Medic

below is a screenshot from stock TWoS environment. Could someone explain the difference? )
maybe, any additional effects like colors variation, etc.??

Old 05-29-20, 05:31 PM   #19
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post
below is a screenshot from stock TWoS environment. Could someone explain the difference? )
maybe, any additional effects like colors variation, etc.??

If you don't see the difference, i don't know, for what reason your take care about environment? Archive is ok
Old 05-29-20, 05:42 PM   #20
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Gap, as i said i used your files, so you can ask to delete.
Old 05-29-20, 05:54 PM   #21
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post
a small question: what if I have enabled brighter nights submod in TWOS 2.2? will it be compatible?

btw, the archive you uploaded doesn't open. Corrupted file error.
Please, check.
Demon, get your hands right, and try to make simple operation for opening .rar archive, before said something.
Old 05-29-20, 08:10 PM   #22
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Please delete the scrinshots by demon, it's not in that theme< so offtop, and please, forbid him access to this thread. He is just troll.
Old 05-29-20, 08:12 PM   #23
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Old 05-29-20, 11:49 PM   #24
Muckenberg
Planesman

Downloads: 527

Good day
I installed your mod in the bunker on a running campaign. And I'm very curious about the adjustments you made.
Is your mod compatible with Eco mod from Gap?
Muckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 05:52 AM   #25
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Please delete the scrinshots by demon, it's not in that theme< so offtop, and please, forbid him access to this thread. He is just troll.
Actually, his questions are quite normal I'd say...To be honest, except the size of the sun and some water color variation, I can not see much of the difference as well. Readme documentation is also non existent?! Did you use stock Dynamic Environment files in your mod or files from the TWoS because they aren't quite the same? Keep in mind that TWoS environment is only based on DynEnv mod but it uses many different tweaks and textures from other mods, together with large number of mine tweaks, fixes and adjustments...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 06:08 AM   #26
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Gap, as i said i used your files, so you can ask to delete.
Hi Sokolov, those are not just "my files"; many subsim members have contributed - directly or indirectly - into the development of Dynamic Environment. I am a big fan of participatory work; I have often used other's mods and ideas for my own elaborations, I am always glad when someone else finds ways to improve my work, and I am even happier when that work gets merged, entirely or in part, in bigger and more complex mods. An example of that is Dynamic Environment being now an integral part of TWoS, though with several improvements by Vecko.

Conversely I never believed in "copyright" when that prevented the improvement and, ultimately, our enjoyment of the game which I see as our main aim.

For all the reasons above I won't ask you to you to remove your own elaboration of Dynamic Environment; I trust you when you say that you brought several visual improvements to it, and I think that preventing other subsim mates from trying them would be a real shame. Yet, in the same spirit I am sorry to say that I can't authorize the current version of your "new environment mod" since, so far, you have failed to substantiate the announced improvements and you missed informing me - as the DynEnv curator - about your intention to release a mod heavily based on it.

To give you an example, it is like I created a total reskin of TDW's "Multiple UIs" mod and, instead of releasing it as a graphic patch for that mod, I merged my files into Multiple UI's and, without even asking The Dark Wraith for permission, I released the merger as a standalone mod. No matter if I announced it as a complete new UI mod, it would still be Multiple UIs with some graphic work by me. I my view, opting for the 'standalone' release method would be both unfair for The Dark Wraith and confusing for users and other modders, especially in absence of release notes with a detailed list of changes over the older mod.

My two cents
Old 05-30-20, 06:14 AM   #27
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Actually, his questions are quite normal I'd say...To be honest, except the size of the sun and some water color variation, I can not see much of the difference as well. Readme documentation is also non existent?! Did you use stock Dynamic Environment files in your mod or files from the TWoS because they aren't quite the same? Keep in mind that TWoS environment is only based on DynEnv mod but it uses many different tweaks and textures from other mods, together with large number of mine tweaks, fixes and adjustments...
I second that. Demon777 is all but a troll, his questions are completely legitimate and, together with Vecko's comments above, they illustrate better my doubts
Old 05-30-20, 06:50 AM   #28
gap
Navy Seal

To further explain my own concept of "mod documentation":

A couple of screenshots are not significant. You should better post three or four sets of screenshots comparing the visuals of the main SH5 environment mods (W_clears's Real Environment, standard and TWoS version of Dynamic Environment) with your own mod at the same latitude and under identical weather/illumination conditions.

Saying that, for you, your mod is a lot better than any other environment mod is quite redundant. No one will release a mod if he thinks that it is worse or identical to any other previously released mod. If you want others to try your mod you should rather say: "I solved the sky banding problem", "I made the water surface bluer near the equator", "I enhanced light reflections on the water surface when the sun is low", "I increased game's gamma/saturation", "I have improved thunder textures", "I have solved the issue of too many fog days in a row", or " I have found a workaround to the problem of weather resetting after a save/reload cycle", just to give you a few examples.

Those are objective informations that other gamers can use to evaluate your mod even before testing it in game. Conversely, with the information you have provided so far, choosing whether to download your mod or not is just a matter of faith...

Last edited by gap; 05-30-20 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 10:17 AM   #29
Demon777
Medic

Quote:

Sokolov,
I can request to block you too. But, unlike you I won't do that.
Simply because I'm interested. My screen was attached to make a comparison. So, the only question: what is an actual difference?

p.s. If anyone noticed significant changes, pls make a pic.
Old 06-01-20, 06:50 PM   #30
Sokolov
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok, or delete the mod or not, becouse i don't want that it's be a patch for DynEnv, no matter what files i used, in my first post i said that it's not only my work, most important that it's look much better. No offence, Gap and all, who made TWoS environment or Dynamic Environment, but water in TWoS, as I consider, not just worse, it's simple not look like water. It's my opinion, and not becouse i want my own mod, you can take it if you want, with credits to me, but don't give it the name Dynamic Environment, becouse when someone said, that there are no difference, i want to look at this man to hes eyes.