SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-19, 09:20 PM   #7696
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm concerned about your crashes also merc4ulfate... Did you watch the Windows Task Manager when you had that open before? Did you notice what the cpu load and / or memory used? Here's a shot of my Win8 laptop's:

Notice the "spike" in the cpu when I started the Task Manager? SH4 will do that quite a bit as you play. This laptop has a 1st Gen i3, so it is single-core. My desktop downstairs is an older DuoCore E8400 quad-core, so the cpu box is divided into 4 segments, one for each core. The vista & Win7 version of Task Manager has a separate Window that opens for the Performance stuff. Win 8 and 10 are like above. You can get more details on the resources with that "Open Resource Monitor" link below the charts. You've posted your specs before, haven't you, and if I'm remembering correctly, you've got like an i5 and a bigger graphics card than mine, and I don't have any CTDs at all (well, except the ones that I do... ) - but either your Save folder has something in it, the mod has something in it, or your computer has something in its config that the game does not like... Your video card isn't overheating, is it?...
Intel Dual Core 2.4 Ghz ... the ram doesn't seem affected but the cpu is getting max out at times. The two cores run at 60% on one and 70% on the other while the game runs. This test was with two merchants using the deck on both.

A task force is most likely maxing both out. I have yet, even by 1943, run into a full convoy. Most are four ships in a straight line at best. Maybe the TF just maxed out everything but I'm not understanding why a run for home CTD on everything after that point.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 10:47 PM   #7697
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Well, I used to run the game on a single-core AMD Thunderbird, and it did fine with an nVidia 6200. Of course, that was 32-bit, and ~not~ FotRSU, but rather TMO, so that would influence things alot... Have you checked for dust build-up inside your computer case, and maybe look into the fan and heat sinks of the cpu and vid card's gpu? Of course, a bad Save can do the same thing to a person, so this is like going fishing in a big lake with next to zero visibility in the water, and all you have is a line and hook. No bait, no reel... might take a while to catch the problem... I'll keep looking through our files. KaleunMarco found another issue with some Flotilla experiments I've been doing, so maybe its something along those lines. Hopefully RR has the mix on simmer, and we'll have you clean everything out and do a fresh install with a fresh mod version, in which the DD are no slouches...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 06:27 PM   #7698
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Clean install:

FOTRSU
Patch 5

I'm going to run a test with this career. I will not accept a new boat until after the fall of 43 or beginning of 44.

Propbeine you wrote that I should not have been given a Balao as soon as I got it in the last go around. Perhaps this contributed to the issues. I will most likely start with a Tambor then run it for the next for years.

What is the game start date of the Balao?

I had had trouble running the LAA. I had ran the 4 gig patch but this time I change the windows theme and the LAA ran fine.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-08-19, 07:24 PM   #7699
propbeanie

most interesting about the 4 gig patch...

The Balaos in real life were like February '43 in the Balao out of Brisbane... not San Francisco... The game seems to use the Balao and Tench as "rewards" for exemplary play, but we can somewhat control them (I think) by making them later than real life, so that when a player gets a reward, it's later... maybe... - in v80, we were trying an experiment by "opening" the dates such that if the boat was given early, that there would be a base and objectives for it to use, so that the player wouldn't get retired or encounter a CTD... As Gru says: "Fail"...

Old 03-08-19, 07:53 PM   #7700
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Clean install:

FOTRSU
Patch 5

I'm going to run a test with this career. I will not accept a new boat until after the fall of 43 or beginning of 44.

Propbeine you wrote that I should not have been given a Balao as soon as I got it in the last go around. Perhaps this contributed to the issues. I will most likely start with a Tambor then run it for the next for years.

What is the game start date of the Balao?

I had had trouble running the LAA. I had ran the 4 gig patch but this time I change the windows theme and the LAA ran fine.
merc4ulfate,
I may have missed this, what are your current system specs?
Where have you install SH4 ?
Have you any other mods installed ?
Have you followed the Capn's LAA thread ?

I'm a bit concerned about you having to change windows themes to get the LAA to work, what theme did you change from and to what theme did you swap to ?
As at this time, it sounds like a system issue.. Weak CPU, or low memory...
Old 03-08-19, 08:34 PM   #7701
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
merc4ulfate,
I may have missed this, what are your current system specs?
Where have you install SH4 ?
Have you any other mods installed ?
Have you followed the Capn's LAA thread ?

I'm a bit concerned about you having to change windows themes to get the LAA to work, what theme did you change from and to what theme did you swap to ?
As at this time, it sounds like a system issue.. Weak CPU, or low memory...
I had a custom theme and switch to Aero theme. Resource Monitor would not run and I did some research and a suggestion was to make sure ONLY Aero theme was used and not only did Resource Monitor work correctly but so did LAA

Intel dual core 2.4 Ghz
8 Gigs ram
Game installed on D drive which is an SSD
Only game at 1.5 with FOTRSU and Patch 5 running after a fresh clean install.

New or maybe just odd report after this fresh install.

Time compression on the last install never went over 2048 but on this install Time compression gets 8192.
Also the Tambor forward planes do not function. I reported this on an earlier campaign.

{SUPPLEMENTAL}

After a quit and reload of the last save the next mission had the dive planes corrected.
66,000+ in two patrols.

I ran into a huge task force going back to Midway. I did not get a count of the DD but I would say at least 8 2-3 BB 4 CA and one CV which I did manage to hit twice but not sink.

No CTD, no issue at all except only having three fish after my earlier days on patrol. Would love to have ran into that one with a full boat.

Why do you think my time compression was restricted on the last two installs but not on this one?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 03-09-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 08:48 PM   #7702
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
I had a custom theme and switch to Aero theme. Resource Monitor would not run and I did some research and a suggestion was to make sure ONLY Aero theme was used and not only did Resource Monitor work correctly but so did LAA

Intel dual core 2.4 Ghz
8 Gigs ram
Game installed on D drive which is an SSD
Only game at 1.5 with FOTRSU and Patch 5 running after a fresh clean install.

New or maybe just odd report after this fresh install.

Time compression on the last install never went over 2048 but on this install Time compression gets 8192.
Also the Tambor forward planes do not function. I reported this on an earlier campaign.
Ok, that sounds like a system resource issue somewhere... but i'm slightly out of my depth going forward from here.

Ermm we have a patch 5? I have seen this mentioned before, but I have never known or tested it... What's the release date please ?
Old 03-08-19, 08:54 PM   #7703
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Ok, that sounds like a system resource issue somewhere... but i'm slightly out of my depth going forward from here.

Ermm we have a patch 5? I have seen this mentioned before, but I have never known or tested it... What's the release date please ?
Patch 5 date 02/05/2019

1. Campaign files for Jap Harbor Traffic, all have one correction each. The US and Jap AirCover files are slightly altered. The US NavalBases has been updated, and a couple of bad "Name=" lines removed. The Campaign.cfg has been altered to remove a file, and altered others. Other files in the Campaign have been split and / or combined with others. The Messages.txt has been edited to attempt to more closely follow the Asiatic Fleet to the South West Pacific Area Command to the 7th Fleet, as well as changing some of the base changes notifications. The DynamicMiss.cfg has been re-activated by removing some of the commented-out lines, ~AND~, since KaleunMarco found a duplicates issue in PatrolObjectives, I found the same one in DynamicMiss. Quite amazing. I'll have to post about that in the thread here in a few days, if when you guys go to test this, that it works... Anyway, a Patrol Kuriles mission in PatrolObjectives was edited to have correct names.
2. Sim.cfg altered
3. Land and Ordnance empty files added to "fake-out" SH4 Validator checks.
4. The Orders Map, when the player is going on patrol was re-sized so that the "Star" for objective designation would spot better.
5. Added a couple of more Australian DD. Now I have to add them to the layers...
6. Sea folder corrections to the Tone damage model, and to swap the draft figures for the two Ada and Aden Marus
7. Sim file changes to all subs for hopefully better physics during operations. UPC file changes for the Balao and Tench, restricting them to similar dates as before. Fingers are crossed for those two.
8. Terrain folder changes are just additional "art" elements for map drawings for future missions, which it is unknown when I'll get to that.
9. That propeller Texture was re-sized and added
10. Several UPC changes, with changes to the Flotillas and PatrolObjectives files the main changes, but also CareerStart (Front Runner's findings) and the UPCLocalization.tsr file, which will hopefully allow the Transfer screen to populate correctly, as well as a few other nigglies noticed with text and finding a %s or %c or %d for an actual "String", "Character" or "Digit"...

301_v0.80RC2_pbPatch005.7z

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-09-19, 11:20 AM   #7704
propbeanie

You were probably down for the count s7rikeback a few weeks ago when we did this experiment with a "patch", mostly for the Flotillas. There are seven testers with it. All reports from the Flotillas file were positive, and the changes are implemented in the next mix. KaleunMarco and I have been doing PMs about a Mare issue he recently discovered, that might have to be addressed. Further testing scheduled for later today.

@ merc4ulfate, have I got this correct now - You started using the Aero desktop, but from use of a non-Aero theme (ie: background picture, screen saver or whatever)? and after that is when you were having trouble with CTDs? I'm going to have to check my dual-core, because I has quit working properly on several things, and I've got Aero running on it with a family photo as the background...

Old 03-09-19, 11:33 AM   #7705
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
You were probably down for the count s7rikeback a few weeks ago when we did this experiment with a "patch", mostly for the Flotillas. There are seven testers with it. All reports from the Flotillas file were positive, and the changes are implemented in the next mix. KaleunMarco and I have been doing PMs about a Mare issue he recently discovered, that might have to be addressed. Further testing scheduled for later today.

@ merc4ulfate, have I got this correct now - You started using the Aero desktop, but from use of a non-Aero theme (ie: background picture, screen saver or whatever)? and after that is when you were having trouble with CTDs? I'm going to have to check my dual-core, because I has quit working properly on several things, and I've got Aero running on it with a family photo as the background...
I did a complete reinstall of the game so that so far has cleared the CTD. What I am doing with it however is NOT allowing any new boat until late 43 or 44. I think getting the new boats to early is what is causing the CTDs.

What the Aero theme allows is use of some programs like LAA. Non Aero themes were messing up how the programs shown visually and because their windows were not complete they could not be used properly.

Reverting back to Aero theme allowed LAA to be used properly.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-09-19, 11:44 AM   #7706
propbeanie

Quote:
I did a complete reinstall of the game so that so far has cleared the CTD. What I am doing with it however is NOT allowing any new boat until late 43 or 44. I think getting the new boats to early is what is causing the CTDs.

What the Aero theme allows is use of some programs like LAA. Non Aero themes were messing up how the programs shown visually and because their windows were not complete they could not be used properly.

Reverting back to Aero theme allowed LAA to be used properly.
Thanks. CapnScurvy has done a couple more things with Flotillas, besides the date changes I had made, and we'll have to see how that works. I've been experimenting with another method, which we'll have standing by, just-in-case.

That's interesting with the Aero... Was that custom theme you were using a whole theme you had downloaded somewhere, or just things that you had put together yourself? I am now thinking that with mine, since the picture's resolution is smaller than the desktop's, that maybe when other windows open, they assume that same percentage-smaller size... I'm going to have to go experiment with that next, and report back...

Old 03-09-19, 12:20 PM   #7707
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Thanks. CapnScurvy has done a couple more things with Flotillas, besides the date changes I had made, and we'll have to see how that works. I've been experimenting with another method, which we'll have standing by, just-in-case.

That's interesting with the Aero... Was that custom theme you were using a whole theme you had downloaded somewhere, or just things that you had put together yourself? I am now thinking that with mine, since the picture's resolution is smaller than the desktop's, that maybe when other windows open, they assume that same percentage-smaller size... I'm going to have to go experiment with that next, and report back...
The theme was custom.

Is the new boat option based on total tonnage, number of ships sunk, average of one or the other over a single patrol? What does the game base the award of a new boat on?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-09-19, 02:18 PM   #7708
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default one hellava midget sub

hey...just what powerplant does a Ko-Hyteki carry such that it can do 23 kts surfaced? man, i gots to get me one of those babies for my boat.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 02:54 PM   #7709
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hey...just what powerplant does a Ko-Hyteki carry such that it can do 23 kts surfaced? man, i gots to get me one of those babies for my boat.

The kind that will do 19 knots submerged.

192 trays of two two-volt cells each,
136 trays forward
56 trays aft
1 × electric motor, 600 hp (447 kW)[1] at 1800 rpm
2 × screws counter-rotating on single shaft
leading prop 1.35 m diameter, right-handed;
trailing prop 1.25 m diameter, left-handed
Speed:
23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph) surfaced
19 knots (35 km/h; 22 mph) submerged

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 03-09-19, 03:01 PM   #7710
propbeanie

Quote:
The theme was custom.

Is the new boat option based on total tonnage, number of ships sunk, average of one or the other over a single patrol? What does the game base the award of a new boat on?
Now, several months ago, we thought we had that nailed down... Basically speaking, like everything else in the game, it does what it wants, when it wants. Near as we can tell though, top priority in awards is renown score. If you have enough points, you get the new boat, no matter what we've done to dates. There is what I'll call a "date constraint" that seems to be involved, such that if the boat is available in February 1943 (TMO Balao), that you might be awarded the boat as early as October (that we've found testing). FotRSU was set-up that way prior to v0.71. The problem lies in the awarding of a boat that is technically not "Available", and has no Objectives to assign yet. Since Mare was the first place the boat is to be available, the game sends you there, and since you don't have any active Objectives, it gives you the game's "default..." assignment, which is one of six missions to the East China Sea. If you then come back to your Home Port too soon, you most likely would get retired, if the game doesn't CTD before that... I don't know if this behavior has anything to do with the old "Early Retirement" fix that Ubisoft did for v1.3 (or was it v1.4??), or if it's just an all-round "propbeanie" mess-up with a date or a missing semi-colon somewhere. We are still looking. We thought we had fixed it by "opening up" the dates of the subs, but keeping the CareerStart menu the same. Not so, apparently. The boat comes even earlier now, and ~still~ crashes...

Of note however, is the fact that I looked at my dual-core desktop that has had trouble running the museum in Win7 64-bit. I had a MS theme that I "customized" with a family photo and "Saved" as the default. The screen resolution, and video and game are all set to 1980x1024. The photo is like 1024x768 or some such. Everything on the computer has been "sluggish" the last few months, and SH4 has been "laggy" more often than before. I just changed to a regular MS desktop theme, with everything from them, no "customization" at all. I can now run the Museum in SH4 again, and the game is smooth-running... I do not understand this. I used to work in computers all the time, and this make no sense to me. I do remember when Vista came out and they introduced the Aero Desktop, that a ~lot~ of software "gurus" recommended disabling the Aero Desktop because it affected performance. I had not encountered any issues with it in Windows 7 previously, but then again, I had never "customized" a theme with my own pictures either... - I'll try to do some more "testing" with the Aero Desktop on the other computers, and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

pic

I know it's not 100% reliable, but quick and easy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A...lass_submarine
... and they do list 23 knots for a top speed, which they could do for like 30 minutes or more... Normal "cruise" speed was like 10 or 12... We've got other / better documentation for it...