SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-21, 06:56 PM   #1
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0
Default Bolder? Brighter? More Visible?

Greetings again Captains, it's been a long time.

I'm running GWX3 with DGUI 1920x1080, it's beautiful, stable as far as I can tell and all around awesome! Made me glad to look at SH3 again.

However I'm discovering that my eyes are not quite as young as they used to be, on the nav chart when I'm plotting for manual targeting, the lines are just too thin, numbers too small and the whole thing is just too dark, particularly at night.

I could play at a lower resolution probably, but with so many of us being around for so long, I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Is there a GWX + DGUI compatible map mod where the lines we plot are a bit bolder or the whole thing has a bit more contrast?
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 07:28 PM   #2
diego_gut
Soundman

Downloads: 25

Hello,

I am glad you liked DGUI !

One of the problems of making SH3 run in 1080p is that some of the graphics were designed for a much lower resolution and sometimes they are hard coded. So, they look very small at high resolution. This happens with a lot of text. The other problem you mention is related to the night filter that many people like.

If you want to get rid of the night filter you just need to replace it with a transparent image. Also, you might try to just rename it and see if the game runs well. I am still at the office but from memory I think the file is /data/menu/gui/nightfilter.tga . With regard to the plot lines, their colors are hard code but you can change them using Tycho's patch. However, it requires a bit more experience modding.

Regards,

Diego
diego_gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 07:39 PM   #3
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singed View Post
Greetings again Captains, it's been a long time.

I'm running GWX3 with DGUI 1920x1080, it's beautiful, stable as far as I can tell and all around awesome! Made me glad to look at SH3 again.

However I'm discovering that my eyes are not quite as young as they used to be, on the nav chart when I'm plotting for manual targeting, the lines are just too thin, numbers too small and the whole thing is just too dark, particularly at night.

I could play at a lower resolution probably, but with so many of us being around for so long, I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Is there a GWX + DGUI compatible map mod where the lines we plot are a bit bolder or the whole thing has a bit more contrast?
LoL! You and me both.
the old peepers aint what they used to be. I opted for lower res solution (magui 1360x768) with a few touches of my own if your interested.
But that's not why I'm replying.
check this out.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=248010
Onealex has made some very very nice improvements including to the nav map tools making them a bit easer on old eyes.
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 08:36 PM   #4
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126

DGUI is impressive, fantastic work and I appreciate your efforts!

Your memory was dead on, the file was right where you said. I just renamed it and seemed to suffer no ill effects.

I'll probably look at the Onealex mod after the inevitable demise of my current captain. It looks nice.
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote