Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-20, 12:23 PM   #466
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I agree. But the Atlanta officer, that's a whole nother story. Can you imagine if all the cops in NYC stay home, and the antifa and BLM agitators organize a mass riot? Take over the city?
I think you’re seriously overestimating how powerful antifa is, and the amount of people willing to go down an extremist route.

Antifa is a small, scattered, very loose and not at all organised on a large scale movement that just gets turned into some massive, powerful force by the media. The most dangerous thing they’ve done is bash someone with a bike lock which, while an extremely scummy thing to do, isn’t going to start the 2nd American Civil War anytime soon. Especially seeing as the bike lock fugitive of Berkeley has been arrested without some massive antifa insurgency arising to free him.

Most of the time, the worst thing American antifa do is to get upset about the American flag existing. And in my country, all they’ve done so far is counterprotest Nazis, which I’m fine with.

Last edited by Cybermat47; 06-19-20 at 12:33 PM.
Cybermat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 02:28 PM   #467
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
I agree. But the Atlanta officer, that's a whole nother story. Can you imagine if all the cops in NYC stay home, and the antifa and BLM agitators organize a mass riot? Take over the city?
Should it happen it would crate absolute chaos and no doubt the POTUS would call in the national guard and possibly even the army.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 11:39 PM   #468
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Should it happen it would crate absolute chaos and no doubt the POTUS would call in the national guard and possibly even the army.
I suspect it will be like the police strike in Boston in 1919. The state will probably use the National Guard (as you said) to keep things under control short term. Just like Governor Coolidge did back then.

Afterwards, they will probably replenish their ranks with new officers (although just like in 1919, the affected city will have to pay extra money for the replacements).

In Boston the whole strike ended with a whimper, and there really wasn't a huge wave of violence....mostly kids breaking windows, and a few people shot by jumpy soldiers. I think the same thing will happen in Atlanta; a bit of extra crime, but eventually things drift back to normal as the police and leaders make mutual concessions. I suspect that the DA and/or whoever charged the officer in Atlanta will be fired or "kicked upstairs" with some faux-promotion, as a concession to the police.

Long term? My earlier prediction stands. This is not a good situation....and is probably part of a gradual slide towards mediocrity in terms of United States quality of life. The police will continue to feel like they are scapegoats, and the protesters will continue to feel like police are institutionally racist.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 08:43 AM   #469
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

You're probably right, except they didn't have social media in 1919.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 11:02 AM   #470
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
And just how would you know that Mr Onkel Neal ...
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 11:13 AM   #471
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
I guess they used a prolog to today's social media in other words they used jungle drums.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 11:14 AM   #472
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

I called it.

The Police Union in Atlanta has just recommended that they fire the DA responsible for charging the officer who shot Rayshard Brooks. Just as I predicted.

There have been very angry exchanges between the DA's supporters and the union.

The police are pointing out that the DA is suspected of misusing $140,000.00 in government funds (I'm not familiar with this case, so I will reserve judgment).

Regardless, it's obvious that relations between the DA in Atlanta and the Union have broken down quite badly.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 11:19 AM   #473
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Lack of hashtags in contemporary writings.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 12:36 PM   #474
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I called it.

You did.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 01:37 PM   #475
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Why should POTUS call in the NG? That could be done by Governor Cuomo and also there's still the NY State Police which the Governor could bring in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I called it.

The Police Union in Atlanta has just recommended that they fire the DA responsible for charging the officer who shot Rayshard Brooks. Just as I predicted.

There have been very angry exchanges between the DA's supporters and the union.

The police are pointing out that the DA is suspected of misusing $140,000.00 in government funds (I'm not familiar with this case, so I will reserve judgment).

Regardless, it's obvious that relations between the DA in Atlanta and the Union have broken down quite badly.

IIRC, there's an ongoing GBI investigation against said DA and IIRC again it's also an election year.
Tbh, after watching the whole 26 minute video of the officers talking in a very calm manner with R. Brooks until he snapped and went for the officers Taser and also watching the video from the Wendy's i fail to see the merit of an felony murder charge. Murder 3 , maybe, but felony murder, nope I don't think so.
Also worth mentioning that the GBI tweeted that the DA was charging the officers involved while the GBI still was concluding its investigation.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 02:33 PM   #476
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Old 06-22-20, 12:50 AM   #477
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

CNN reports that arsonist who burned down Atlanta Wendy's may be linked to Rayshard Brooks.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/20/u...oks/index.html
Suspect Natalie White is allegedly Rayshard Brooks girlfriend.

They also had their first gun related death in the Seattle CHAZ.
CNN reports that violent crowd denied Police entry.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/20/u...ing/index.html
I have the strange feeling that this CHAZ thing won't end well.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 06:12 PM   #478
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53145201

I delay my decision on whether I side with the pilot or not, depending on what gets known about him being either a white supremacist or KKK fan, or being a man like myself who is pissed by the simplicity of slogan wars that have taken over ONCE AGAIN an originally just cause.

The described reactions and comments by club staff, tell me about a level of highly biased fixiation and mental simplicity in conditioned auto-reaction mode, that I refuse to automatically agree with them and support them.

Black lives matter, that is right. But white lives matter as well - is that not correct? You see, it all depends on who says it, and in what context. A pissed but else reasonable person, or a white supremacist or provocateur. If the first, I agree with him. If the latter, I say: keelhaul him. Since I do not know about the pilot, who and what he is, I withhold my judgement.

I mean: originally I am absolutely supporting women'S equality before the law. But radical feminism has pushed so far beyond that that now they became discrminating and hating as well - and ruined the originally just cause to a degree that I keep my huge distance to ANY women'S rights movement there is now. Its like this with so many things today. A justz casue in the beginning, and excessively propagating it and turning it into its opppsite instead of seeking balanced moderation and sharing with the opposiiton to it. And the recent anti-police protests have gone far beyond the reaosnable as well in demands now. Even in other coutnries - in germany some Bundestag politicians declared all police to b e racist, and the Tageszeit7ung could write that all policemen are garbage and should be dumped on the disposal site, they would enjoy to be amongst garbage like themsleves anyway. Write a national newspaper over here, though a very stupdi and ultra-left one! And in this climate I am expected by some to support demonstrations against German police violence...?

I do not care that much for black or white. I say: lives matter - if they care for lives of others in return. And I also say: not all people are worth the same, there are good people, there is scum; there are victims of circumstances, and there are others who abuse circumstances to turn others into victims of theirs, and I take offence from seeing this normal differentiation being denied. No human life is of such infinite value that it equals or even surpasses that of the rest of the cosmos.

It depends who the pilot is and what his motive was. That decides whether I would support his action or condemn it. But automatic support for the collectively demanded reflex-like reaction that currently is en vogue? Ask somebody else, but not me, I will say No to that expectation every time. One should not form own opinions in this way, its bad habit and it does not get you very far intellectually. Opinion should base on thougth and knowledge and information and insight, not on habit, social blackmailing or doing somebody a favour.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-22-20 at 06:24 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 10:34 AM   #479
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Activist gets a taste of his own medicine
Old 06-30-20, 03:11 PM   #480
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Garrett Rolfe has been granted bail subject to a $500,000 bond.

Tags
police, riots