SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-21, 03:24 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Three subs in 72 hours, then Iwo- 1945

TMO 2.5 w custom mods
USS Ling SS-297
7th patrol
100 realism, contacts off, cams on for visuals (knew would be chance for great screen shots at Iwo and wanted to make sure could see things. While my main career, also use it to test things. )

24 January-4 March 1945
Luzon Straits, Babuyan Islands, and (later) off Iwo Jima to support Operation Detachment.

On my 7th patrol in USS Ling SS-297 (Balao) was assigned to Luzon Straits in February 1945. Obviously this is a dead area by this point for most part with the convoys running China coast, but having ducked the silly Hollywood-esque harbor recon orders at Hiroshima and agent insertion in Tokyo( removing those soon, thought they had been) figured needed to achieve an objective the came prescribed for renown and career progression.

Arrived in patrol area on 6 February 1945, ducked plenty of patrol panes, one fast moving DD which could not get in range to shoot (he was making 30 knots north to Formosa). On 8 February, received an ULTRA stating Japanese were evacuating personell from Luzon via submarine in the Aparri area as well as resupplying via submarine as well. Order was to take station in the Babuyan Islands to prevent landing at Aparri area. (As did USS Batfish per history)

From 10-February-13 February encountered three enemy submarines in area and sunk all three. I did insert them into TMO a while back and played it once, but since changed it where they "dive" , have not and was not sure where to find them exactly. Frankly, it was tough , especially without contacts and the dark nights mod and in addition a light fog and rain set in on 9/10 Feb making visual ID at night even more of a challenge. For whatever reason, submarines do no show up on US radar, but the enemy subs have radar and the Radar Warning Receiver on my boat picked them up, in conjunction with sound was able to locate them. I don't have enemy AI subs firing torpedoes in TMO yet, but eventually will happen since know it is possible such as in FOTRS but their skill level is set high, they have excellent radar and sonar, plus a deck gun and auto cannons, and they "dive" (unit is set to hit its last waypoint and delete and unit just disappearing's simulating the dive) so makes for a challenge. Add tp boot a circle running Mark 18 nearly taking us out See the patrol logs and stories for the detailed version, was one of my favorite experiences in SH 4 thus far, been on patrol since 2009.

Once made it back to Pearl, I loaded up save from Feb 14 and proceed on to Iwo to witness the invasion, etc, make sure everything was there . Arrived to see the old BB's along with CA and DD's shelling Iwo Jima starting 17 Feb-19 Feb. Air strikes as well. Then sailed out to the CVE TF east of Iwo and sailed with them a bit to await the kamikazes I added but they did not show up (have to work on that). Ended patrol in early March 1945 at Pearl.

Some screenshots:

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 03-16-21 at 03:37 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 05:46 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
TMO 2.5 w custom mods
USS Ling SS-297
7th patrol
100 realism, contacts off, cams on for visuals (knew would be chance for great screen shots at Iwo and wanted to make sure could see things. While my main career, also use it to test things. )

24 January-4 March 1945
Luzon Straits, Babuyan Islands, and (later) off Iwo Jima to support Operation Detachment.

On my 7th patrol in USS Ling SS-297 (Balao) was assigned to Luzon Straits in February 1945. Obviously this is a dead area by this point for most part with the convoys running China coast, but having ducked the silly Hollywood-esque harbor recon orders at Hiroshima and agent insertion in Tokyo( removing those soon, thought they had been) figured needed to achieve an objective the came prescribed for renown and career progression.

Arrived in patrol area on 6 February 1945, ducked plenty of patrol panes, one fast moving DD which could not get in range to shoot (he was making 30 knots north to Formosa). On 8 February, received an ULTRA stating Japanese were evacuating personell from Luzon via submarine in the Aparri area as well as resupplying via submarine as well. Order was to take station in the Babuyan Islands to prevent landing at Aparri area. (As did USS Batfish per history)

From 10-February-13 February encountered three enemy submarines in area and sunk all three. I did insert them into TMO a while back and played it once, but since changed it where they "dive" , have not and was not sure where to find them exactly. Frankly, it was tough , especially without contacts and the dark nights mod and in addition a light fog and rain set in on 9/10 Feb making visual ID at night even more of a challenge. For whatever reason, submarines do no show up on US radar, but the enemy subs have radar and the Radar Warning Receiver on my boat picked them up, in conjunction with sound was able to locate them. I don't have enemy AI subs firing torpedoes in TMO yet, but eventually will happen since know it is possible such as in FOTRS but their skill level is set high, they have excellent radar and sonar, plus a deck gun and auto cannons, and they "dive" (unit is set to hit its last waypoint and delete and unit just disappearing's simulating the dive) so makes for a challenge. Add tp boot a circle running Mark 18 nearly taking us out See the patrol logs and stories for the detailed version, was one of my favorite experiences in SH 4 thus far, been on patrol since 2009.

Once made it back to Pearl, I loaded up save from Feb 14 and proceed on to Iwo to witness the invasion, etc, make sure everything was there . Arrived to see the old BB's along with CA and DD's shelling Iwo Jima starting 17 Feb-19 Feb. Air strikes as well. Then sailed out to the CVE TF east of Iwo and sailed with them a bit to await the kamikazes I added but they did not show up (have to work on that). Ended patrol in early March 1945 at Pearl.

Some screenshots:

Congratulations.
i do not even waste a torpedo on IJN subs anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-21, 12:56 PM   #3
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
TMO 2.5 w custom mods
For whatever reason, submarines do no show up on US radar, but the enemy subs have radar and the Radar Warning Receiver on my boat picked them up,
Radar Warning Receiver?, is this incorporated into TMO or is it in a custom mod you're using?, how exactly are you being notified by this warning receiver, is it a sound alert or is it a crew alert type thing?.
Old 03-17-21, 06:39 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Traveler had one in his mod set, and it lights up a dark green line. On one of my computers, I couldn't tell the difference between it and a sonar line.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-21, 12:02 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Radar Warning Receiver?, is this incorporated into TMO or is it in a custom mod you're using?, how exactly are you being notified by this warning receiver, is it a sound alert or is it a crew alert type thing?.

Not custom, it's part of TMO 2.5. Long ago, when the U boat expansion for SH 4 came out, I asked Ducimus if he could make it equipment for US subs and he did just that and one of those small features which really change things. In reality, it became standard equipment in early to mid 1944, first deployed in late 43. In the sim, if you have map contacts enabled, you will get a line on the map and a message in the dialog box at top of screen, it will say "Radar signal detected, sir!" Sometimes it is vocalized by the radar operator as well. I play without contacts often so it can get tricky, definitely pay attention to the dialog box. Unfortunately, without contacts on have no way of knowing the direction of radar signals (believe the real APR-1 was directional), so as explained process, but nice to know there is radar signals in your area, provides situational awareness. Very helpful with radar equipped aircraft as well.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote