SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-19, 11:28 AM   #8311
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Although, my dad, a WWII navy man who served in the Pacific, can attest to receiving his fair share of strange orders, just being a Petty Officer, 2c... He even got "written-up" his first day back in uniform for active service for the Korean Conflict, for not having the proper number of hash marks on his sleeve during an inspection by the CO...

Missing service stripes, which I'm guessing you are referring to as hash marks, and other uniform discrepancies are a big deal in the service. Especially during an inspection. Everything about the uniform has to be in pristine condition, in the correct order, and exactly placed, down to the millimeter. Preparing for an inspection is an OCD's delight.

Absolutely no disrespect to your dad, but showing up for inspection with items missing from uniform would get anyone written up.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 11:53 AM   #8312
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Copy that, but he had been active during WWII, had signed a waiver to go home, and was listed as "Inactive Reserve" - not understanding its ramifications. When they called him back, since he had been "Inactive", he thought he was basically a raw recruit again, and did not have the right to wear his service stripes. He did make the appropriate corrections though, and when they shipped-out, he was all-compliant, and back to CPO, which had been his highest rating in the WWII Philippines combat zone. They had a habit back then of down-rating fellows when "mustering" them out, back to their pre-combat zone rating, especially if the man had signed a waiver to go home early... - he was well-aware of uniform requirements, and had all of his campaign and other pins properly applied. No one under his authority in the unit was lacking, just his service stripes, which the CO only mentioned when he asked my dad his age and how he had acquired his rank. The fellow who wrote him up, is the one who got him his WWII rating back, which meant a better billet and more pay (what? $2 a month???)... - no disrespect taken, and understood 'bout the uniform! I've got a picture somewhere around here of him in his dress blues when coming home from Japan in 1945. Sharp dude!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 06:18 PM   #8313
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
Missing service stripes, which I'm guessing you are referring to as hash marks, and other uniform discrepancies are a big deal in the service. Especially during an inspection. Everything about the uniform has to be in pristine condition, in the correct order, and exactly placed, down to the millimeter. Preparing for an inspection is an OCD's delight.

Absolutely no disrespect to your dad, but showing up for inspection with items missing from uniform would get anyone written up.
... and a missing "hash mark", because that is what we called them, write up is a petty and pathetic attempt at leadership of an officer who has its head up its fantail.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 07:15 PM   #8314
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:

You where in the Air Force weren't you.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 09:54 PM   #8315
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
You where in the Air Force weren't you.
USMC 1989-1993
USCG 1995-2000

Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 12:41 AM   #8316
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
USMC 1989-1993
USCG 1995-2000

Never heard a Marine call them service stripes. You must have been tainted by that coasty jargon.

USMC 85-93
USA 03-12
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 11:23 AM   #8317
propbeanie

Has anyone encountered issues? How about the "style" of the first set of missions, if you start in December 1941 at Pearl or Manila? Who likes the "When in all manner ready to depart..." stuff, or the routing they wanted you to follow? Who wants the multiple objective assignments, and who wants the one or two objective assignments, but the player has to call in a Status Update and get other assignments, to get their score up? Maybe a mix of both, like it is? But make the orders more "cohesive", to where all the Asiatic orders are the same wording, and all the Pearl orders have the same wording. Should we try to throw in some more Sunshine Murray humor and casualness?... ??

Old 07-02-19, 12:32 PM   #8318
Kieldk
Helmsman

Downloads: 505

Sometimes when i start a new campaign at Pearl in 41 the game ctd when entering game
Kieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 12:33 PM   #8319
Kieldk
Helmsman

Downloads: 505

I Like the new objectives,
But
Sometimes partroling the same circel for 10 days Can be abit boring
Perhaps 5-7 days max i suggest
Kieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 04:00 PM   #8320
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieldk View Post
Sometimes when i start a new campaign at Pearl in 41 the game ctd when entering game
Can't have that. What boat were you taking out, and December 8, 1941 start, correct? Do you remember what the assignment was? Thanks

Quote:
I Like the new objectives,
But
Sometimes partroling the same circel for 10 days Can be abit boring
Perhaps 5-7 days max i suggest
Some of the early patrol were super boring, some were constantly deathly dangerous. I do want to add-in little "side-trips" to those missions though. The one to Formosa, you at least get to shoot at things, but the one in Tablas Strait is very boring. But then, you get assigned Lingayen Gulf, just like the real boats did, and it's your chance to either shine, or spring leaks in your boat... We'll work on that though. I have done them both, and that is a good while to just patrol. Wait until you get these "real" photo missions though...

Old 07-02-19, 05:50 PM   #8321
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Did you apply the 4GB patch or LAA on SH4.exe?

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 08:01 PM   #8322
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Has anyone encountered issues? How about the "style" of the first set of missions, if you start in December 1941 at Pearl or Manila? Who likes the "When in all manner ready to depart..." stuff, or the routing they wanted you to follow? Who wants the multiple objective assignments, and who wants the one or two objective assignments, but the player has to call in a Status Update and get other assignments, to get their score up? Maybe a mix of both, like it is? But make the orders more "cohesive", to where all the Asiatic orders are the same wording, and all the Pearl orders have the same wording. Should we try to throw in some more Sunshine Murray humor and casualness?... ??
Have not had much time to check out version 0.90 to this point as IRL activities have taken priority. Should be able to get back to regular game play in a couple of weeks. Regarding your question, I will say this. With the orders being more complex I will need to take notes. After leaving Pearl, I looked on the objective menu (clipboard) and the instructions there did not include the full scope and details of my patrol orders. So not having played v0.90 much so far, the only suggestion I would have is this. If possible include the details of the orders on the in-game clipboard menu.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 07:05 AM   #8323
propbeanie

All that transfer to the clipboard is the "synopsis" seen at the bottom of the orders page as you enter the game. Maybe we'll have a "reminder" radio message come over the wire as you depart... Thanks

Old 07-03-19, 05:39 PM   #8324
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
All that transfer to the clipboard is the "synopsis" seen at the bottom of the orders page as you enter the game. Maybe we'll have a "reminder" radio message come over the wire as you depart... Thanks
Would be nice. Would save me from writing it all down with pencil and paper. Oh, and is really neat. Orders seem much more military than before.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 06:02 PM   #8325
propbeanie

You will still encounter those older orders when originating patrols. They were originally built in Stock and TMO to be generic enough to be used both in the PatrolObjectives (start of a patrol), and in the DynamicMiss (Update Status) assignments. If you look at a few of the "Stock" games mission folders, there are some that have files with a letter "d" appended to them. I've been experimenting with that, and thus far, my results are inconclusive. The "d" files might just be left-overs from a previous update version's "fix" ... ?? kind of tough to test - Anyway, I am going through the files as I get a chance, and we'll add a little message in to the "complex" mission assignments as the boat departs, which should then put it in the radio messages log... Only question is, "does that restore after a game Save?"...

I mention that because I had an idea for a radio station that a player could tune to, and get period and boat specific orders, such as while on a life-guarding mission, such as: "Pounder Leader calling Sallow Face! - Flyers down Lat010°54-12N Long136°12-01. Raft, two occupants!" You can't transmit anything though, but it'd be funny: "Copy that. 2 zoomies in the drink with their floatie. On our way!" Then I was reminded that the radio system doesn't work so well. In fact, it's worse than the sound effects and message system combined. Each time you load a Save, it has to play through all the "Events" again - Even when using RSM... sigh... oh well