SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-10, 08:52 AM   #1
nemchenk
Bosun

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Dismissing crew -- should the Kaleun get Renown?

Quick question -- should a Kaleun get renown from BdU for "training up" and then letting go of talented officers? Surely BdU would give kudos to a Kaleun who kept turning out other well-skilled Kaleuns into the service?

This is a purely hypthetical question rather than one about game mechanics. I plan on "implementing" it by hacking my career renown if I do go ahead

Maybe something like 1/2 or 1/3 of the Renown listed in the game for that officer when you Dismiss them?

PS. I've just restarted my career again in GWX, this time going to try and play without map contacts Still have WO Assist on, but am using it only to double-check my solutions now. Soon I'll be a real Kaleun!
nemchenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 09:36 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I would think so. If you have to use your influence to get better crew, you should get some credit for letting others go.

On the other hand, captains usually had no say over either, which is why I like SH3 Commander. It sometimes transfers qualified crewmen in.

Which makes me think of something else. Would it not be cool to be able to spend renown to keep a talented enlisted man whom BdU ordered transferred?
Old 06-13-10, 12:18 PM   #3
nemchenk
Bosun

Downloads: 22

I was thinking that this would be in addition to the crew transfers that Commander does -- I can imagine a situation when letting my XO go could be useful to buy the latest upgrade to the boat!

Also, if a career goes badly, trading all your best crew until you end up with the greenest and most undesirable men on your boat just to keep from getting a dishonourable discharge makes sense!

I agree too about keeping a man from being transferred away -- surely buying him back ought to be an option
nemchenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 12:29 PM   #4
nemo7
Weps

Downloads: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Which makes me think of something else. Would it not be cool to be able to spend renown to keep a talented enlisted man whom BdU ordered transferred?
Very interesting idea SS. With one exception though; 1WO. We ought to let him get his own ship.
Old 06-13-10, 12:39 PM   #5
ryanglavin
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

Damn donitz won't get my watch officer/torpedo man/repair man until he gives me my damn IXD2. Then he has to give me those nuclear torpedoes too... hmm...
Old 06-13-10, 06:34 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo7 View Post
Very interesting idea SS. With one exception though; 1WO. We ought to let him get his own ship.
I was thinking more along the lines of senior enlisted men - the best CPOs. In the US navy it was common for 1/3 of the crew to be rotated out at the end of each patrol, to mix the new men in with those more experienced. A captain might ask that his COB (Chief Of the Boat, or Bosun [Lumprecht in Das Boot]) stay with him, as he wants a man he knows and can trust at the top. Of course I don't know what the rotation procedure was in the Ubootwaffe, so all that may not even apply.

Officers come and go, and a Captain is more likely to suggest his 1WO/XO for his own command than try to hang onto him. He doesn't want a second-in-command who is resentful that his CO kept him from his own boat. The LI (Chief Engineer, who had no counterpart in the US navy), on the other hand, isn't ever going to have a command, and the smart Kaleun would keep him for as long as he could.
Old 06-13-10, 07:49 PM   #7
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

You either get or keep Bernard.
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Brag is offline   Reply With Quote