SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-19, 08:15 PM   #6916
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
How does one edit the SIM file?
SIM-ply

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 08:27 PM   #6917
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Thanks! Interesting.
From "Clear the Bridge" by RADM Richard O'Kane page 40, (paperback)
"Tang's actual Test Depth was 612 feet."
...and then, from page 464, "The first disclosure, sort of a trial balloon, was the true depth reached while Tang was being hounded by the destroyer west of Saipan. In the pump room a sea-pressure gauge had actually passed 350 pounds per square inch, or 700 feet, before steadying, but the few who knew this decided to keep the information to themselves, and I believe they exercised good judgement." (Surviving crew conversation with Capt. O'Kane while being held as prisoners of war in Ofuna, Japan.)

He and his crew conducted several test dives to find and fix any leakage problems encountered with the assistance of the shipyards.

BTW, "Clear the Bridge" is a great read and a very good reference book for us sub-simmers.
Anyone know if true to class test depth are set in this MOD??

ROCKIN ROBBINS I downloaded the newest version RC2 but it is missing the JSGME, LAA and Multi SH4 files from the RC1 but has instructions as if they were there.

By the way I can never get LAA to work properly. Part of its exe window doesnt show and there is never a save button.

The loading screen will still RC1 on it.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-01-19, 08:40 PM   #6918
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Anyone know if true to class test depth are set in this MOD??
I don't know for sure, but my Balao Class sub out of Pearl Harbor, Jan. 3 1944 tested to 585 feet before taking damage at 590 feet. I had 2% damage upon surfacing. Seems pretty close to me.
Tang's Captain & crew performed quite a few tests and discovered various sources of leaks and what not on their way to a successful 612 foot deep submergence.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 09:55 PM   #6919
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
... By the way I can never get LAA to work properly. Part of its exe window doesnt show and there is never a save button...
Let's do this merc4ulfate... First, open your SH4 folder with the SH4.exe file. Right-click on the file, and you'll get a "context menu":

Left-click on "Properties" at the bottom of the menu, and you'll get a different little window. It should open on the "General" tab. At the bottom, in the "Attributes" section, look at that little tick-box for "Read-only".

If it is empty, you're good. Click on "Cancel". If there is a little check mark in the box, left-click the mouse on it to clear it. Click the "Apply" button and then "OK", or just click on the "OK" button - same difference here. This will make sure that the file can be written to by the LAA applet.

Then start LAA. By default, it opens to the "Basic" configuration, which is fine. Click on that little box like "[ ... ]" next to the top empty box, and you'll get a "File Open Dialog" similar to this:

Yours might display as a list, or as large icons, which all depends upon the computer configuration. In any case, select the SH4.exe - but make certain you are in the correct folder - and click the "Open" button. That should then "populate" that top box. If the tick box for "Step 2" already has a check mark in it, you are good, and can just click the "X" in the upper-right border of the applet. Otherwise, tick the box so you have a check mark, and then click on the "Save" button at the bottom:

You should then get a confirmation at the bottom of the applet window "The update has been performed successfully":

Click that little "X" in the upper-right border, and you should be good to go to run SH4 with LAA enabled.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 11:30 PM   #6920
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Let's do this merc4ulfate... First, open your SH4 folder with the SH4.exe file. Right-click on the file, and you'll get a "context menu":

Left-click on "Properties" at the bottom of the menu, and you'll get a different little window. It should open on the "General" tab. At the bottom, in the "Attributes" section, look at that little tick-box for "Read-only".

If it is empty, you're good. Click on "Cancel". If there is a little check mark in the box, left-click the mouse on it to clear it. Click the "Apply" button and then "OK", or just click on the "OK" button - same difference here. This will make sure that the file can be written to by the LAA applet.

Then start LAA. By default, it opens to the "Basic" configuration, which is fine. Click on that little box like "[ ... ]" next to the top empty box, and you'll get a "File Open Dialog" similar to this:

Yours might display as a list, or as large icons, which all depends upon the computer configuration. In any case, select the SH4.exe - but make certain you are in the correct folder - and click the "Open" button. That should then "populate" that top box. If the tick box for "Step 2" already has a check mark in it, you are good, and can just click the "X" in the upper-right border of the applet. Otherwise, tick the box so you have a check mark, and then click on the "Save" button at the bottom:

You should then get a confirmation at the bottom of the applet window "The update has been performed successfully":

Click that little "X" in the upper-right border, and you should be good to go to run SH4 with LAA enabled.
All good but the LAA itself. See in your photos you have section 2 and 3? When I open it and I have got it from several different places including the downloads, my version is scrunched together and there is no section 2 and 3

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-01-19, 11:46 PM   #6921
propbeanie

Well, in that case, you don't have all the "parts" for the program. Let's give you some reading homework...

CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install thread.

It's written from a Windows 10 point of view, but works the same for Vista, Win7, Win8.x and 10, 64-bit OSes, if you have over 2 gig of RAM. If you have a 32-bit OS (such as XP, Vista or 7) with over two gig of RAM, then an older app has to be used. I'd have to look that up.

CapnScurvy could probably tell you exactly what you need from that picture, but I can't tell if you are missing Microsoft NetFramework parts, or if you have an older 32-bit OS...

Old 01-01-19, 11:52 PM   #6922
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Tambor starting popping glass and taking damage at 470 feet (Game CRUSH depth). The real life TEST depth is 250 feet. Went to the surface with 5% damage.

I have notice a few things in this latest version.

Yes engine noise fixed.

I can no longer put the deck gun on the bow of the Tambor as I could two versions ago. It isn't even an option now in port at the beginning of a campaign.

RENOWN COST for Mk14 Torpedoes. This is the first time I have ever seen a mod charge renown for MK 14 fish. Just seems cruel. Cost 50 renown per fish.

Miyoko harbor has a freighter with 3/4 of it propellers out of the water and on fire. I guess it down't like being wet.

Definitely less planes in the air.

The targets are rich along the coast line North East of Tokyo. 40,000+ tonnes on my first patrol and that was with duds. The huge Ocean Liner helped but I was smart this time and did not sink the Hospital ship. The Ocean Liner went down with one fish ... the tanker behind her with one fish the freighter ahead one fish. I used six One dud. Later on I found a few ships but I found most of the duds in the boat trying to sink them. When I got back to port I was given a medal but it seems odd that it said, "second patrol" when it was my first of that campaign. There were also no aces on the board in the office even though I had just sunk 40,000+.

I'm going to run some dive test to check dive times. Seems a bit slow to go under.

I read through previous post about the sonar issue and realistic sonar being on which I do have on but here is the thing. My crew can call out ships 10nm away then lose them when they get about 7-6nm miles away then pick them back up again under 2. Another time I picked them up myself on sonar and even below 2000 yards the crew never heard a thing. Speeds were on two ships one doing 4 knots one doing 7.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-02-19, 12:01 AM   #6923
propbeanie

I don't know much of nothing on the other stuff, but Miyoko Harbor has been a thorn in the side, as have a few others. I'll look into that again. Do you have an approximate date you were visiting the neighborhood there? We can pull back a bit on the spawn frequency up along there, if it seems to be too much. We've already dialed it back several times from when we started, but have only done small increments. There will be more traffic early, of course.

Old 01-02-19, 12:09 AM   #6924
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Well, in that case, you don't have all the "parts" for the program. Let's give you some reading homework.
Windows 7 PRO 64 bit .net 4.7.2

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-02-19, 12:11 AM   #6925
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
I don't know much of nothing on the other stuff, but Miyoko Harbor has been a thorn in the side, as have a few others. I'll look into that again. Do you have an approximate date you were visiting the neighborhood there? We can pull back a bit on the spawn frequency up along there, if it seems to be too much. We've already dialed it back several times from when we started, but have only done small increments. There will be more traffic early, of course.
Between 12-18-41 and 12-21-41 or close to it. I'm a bit weary of getting to close to those harbors. I had a message during a test about mines.

I just checked the dive times. I should be getting to Periscope depth in 36 seconds.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-02-19, 12:23 AM   #6926
propbeanie

Some of the NetFramework versions don't have backwards compatibility, but like I say, I don't know much about it. You could try NT Core 4Gig Patch and see what you get. It is an older applet, and it did have issues running on some systems. Or, you could wait for CapnScurvy to come along for some good advice.

As for Miyoko Harbor, here's a screen of the ME with all of the 41a layer loaded in:

There is not much change from year to year here, other than frequency changes. You can see 2 Random Generated Groups that spawn and depart at the bottom of the harbor, and two inbounds that terminate in the upper portion of the screen, or about halfway in. Three docks, with a possibility of up to six docked vessels spawning, though the spawn rate should only have 3 or 4 at a time usually. As it stands now, there would be about 1 small convoy out every 24 hours, and one small one in every 24 hours. Where abouts was the wrecked merchant in relation to the screenie? Thanks.

Old 01-02-19, 12:31 AM   #6927
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Some of the NetFramework versions don't have backwards compatibility, but like I say, I don't know much about it. You could try NT Core 4Gig Patch and see what you get. It is an older applet, and it did have issues running on some systems. Or, you could wait for CapnScurvy to come along for some good advice.

As for Miyoko Harbor, here's a screen of the ME with all of the 41a layer loaded in:

There is not much change from year to year here, other than frequency changes. You can see 2 Random Generated Groups that spawn and depart at the bottom of the harbor, and two inbounds that terminate in the upper portion of the screen, or about halfway in. Three docks, with a possibility of up to six docked vessels spawning, though the spawn rate should only have 3 or 4 at a time usually. As it stands now, there would be about 1 small convoy out every 24 hours, and one small one in every 24 hours. Where abouts was the wrecked merchant in relation to the screenie? Thanks.
The ? mark with the number 874

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-02-19, 12:56 AM   #6928
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Default Dive Times

I was checking the dive times on the Tambor.

I got 120 seconds from running 10 knts surfaced to periscope depth.

I got 7 minutes ???? From periscope depth to surface. 60 feet to 15 feet in 7 minutes?

The dive time on an actual Tambor to periscope depth was 36 seconds.

Can these times be reworked? They are way off.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-02-19, 01:36 AM   #6929
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

I remember a long time ago someone made a mod or modified one where a submarine could actually run decks awash. There were issues with subs running to high or if they got to low they just went on to periscope depth but someone fixed it.

Would anything like this be in this mod? I haven't had a chance to test that aspect as yet.

{EDIT}

Looks like Decks Awash is just fine the way it is with this mod. I can consistently run decks awash (29-26 feet) with diesels running to keep the speed up. You lose any where from 3 to 1 knot of speed due to drag and this is dependent on your set speed not depth. Seems the faster you go at Decks Awash the MORE you lose off the top speed. Running at ten knots I was only losing one knot running at Decks Awash but at flank I lost 3 knots.

By the way You can not use the button that says radar depth/deck awash. That will only get you radar depth. You have to set you depth manually in order to get Decks Awash depths while keeping the diesels on.

As for my earlier dive times to periscope depth and from there back to the surface you can scrub about ten seconds off the time if you are already running Flank which most of us do not do in order to conserve fuel.

I haven't checked the other classes yet but the Tambor is really bad. A normal Tambor would reach periscope depth in 36 seconds ... it takes ours 120.

If the dive times were more realistic then the issue with to many planes wouldn't be so bad. With a 36 second dive time to periscope depth you could avoid in coming planes fairly easy but at 120 seconds you get bombed a lot if the plane settings are to high.

Anyone know how to fill those ballast tanks a bit faster??

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 01-02-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-02-19, 08:52 AM   #6930
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:

Anyone know how to fill those ballast tanks a bit faster??
I've noticed, as well, ordering Periscope Depth from the surface takes quite a long time for submergence. Pressing the "D" key for a standard dive takes much less time. Pressing "Cntrl D" gets you down fast! Crash Dive!
On sighting an aircraft without the SD radar installed, I order a Crash Dive, then order a depth of 100 feet (or stop the dive at 100 feet by pressing "A".
Then after a respectable interval, come back up to Periscope Depth, (then Radar Depth if radar IS installed.) Then back up on the surface. When I am being harassed by air patrols, I also order my AA crew to stations, just in case!

After ordering Periscope Depth from the surface, once the decks are awash, one can press the "A" key and hope that stops the dive, thus simulating a "decks awash" command. (Burns more fuel though).

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote