SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-22, 03:21 AM   #1
rainbowjose
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default This is why loading time takes so long

These functions reads textures, but doing it in very slow way. Any suggestions how it cant be optimised?
Old 08-27-22, 04:29 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456
Uploads: 0

Reducing tga weight is the only way
Photoshop, image size, and find good compromise without loosing too much quality rendering …
Very long job to rework textures tga for all ships (as well as library tgas)
(I know I did it)
Loading times is very good as result
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 07:07 AM   #3
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Hi Fifi I'm not experienced like you but is it not possible to compress them?
For my part your work works very well it is true that if you activate all the options it will be slightly longer but with regard to the work carried out on the mod it is largely acceptable is comprehensive...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 08-27-22 at 07:17 AM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 09:14 AM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hi Fifi I'm not experienced like you but is it not possible to compress them?
For my part your work works very well it is true that if you activate all the options it will be slightly longer but with regard to the work carried out on the mod it is largely acceptable is comprehensive...
Hi Kal, nope, we can’t compress them … cause game will not uncompress them!
As far as I know anyway.
Only way is lighten each tga, resizing them so weight is lighter.
Some ships have 2048x1024 tgas … enormous weight! Rezising them smaller divide weight by almost 2 …
1024x1024 tgas can be transformed 512x512 without big quality lost (depending for what it is assigned) and weight gain is always welcome for faster loads
Old 08-27-22, 10:45 AM   #5
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 442

Fifi,

Have you looked at possibly reducing the size of the ship TGA files in the Sea File?

I notice that they have a 32 bit color depth which could be reduced to a 24 bit color depth and reduce the file size down by at least 1/3 ( i.e. file size 1024KB goes down to 759KB ) without affecting any noticeable difference in rendering. Is it really needed to have 32 bit, as you could save some space and speed up loading. I have done this with my uniform files.

Something to look at.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 11:05 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Fifi,

Have you looked at possibly reducing the size of the ship TGA files in the Sea File?

I notice that they have a 32 bit color depth which could be reduced to a 24 bit color depth and reduce the file size down by at least 1/3 ( i.e. file size 1024KB goes down to 759KB ) without affecting any noticeable difference in rendering. Is it really needed to have 32 bit, as you could save some space and speed up loading. I have done this with my uniform files.

Something to look at.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
Sea files are already optimized
Some are 24 bits, others 32… all can’t be 24 (mainly when some transparency needed)
Strangely, I tried same file at 24 & then 32, No change in weight!

On other hand, NYGM have actually the faster loading times still… so no need to loose some more quality imho…

Old 08-27-22, 11:55 AM   #7
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Sea files are already optimized
Some are 24 bits, others 32… all can’t be 24 (mainly when some transparency needed)
Strangely, I tried same file at 24 & then 32, No change in weight!

On other hand, NYGM have actually the faster loading times still… so no need to loose some more quality imho…

Then I will be quiet and go back into my hole.

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-22, 01:57 AM   #8
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Then I will be quiet and go back into my hole.
No! I need your suggestions & advices!
Old 08-28-22, 11:58 AM   #9
rainbowjose
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Interesting. This is example of game loading in SH4. These functions is way more faster, for 98% or more.

Old 08-28-22, 01:22 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

The big difference between SH3 and SH4 is that SH4 has "dynamic loading". It only loads assets that it has to for the immediate roughly 32nm radius around the player's sub, and the campaign files based upon date. Hence, the "efficiency" of starting the game... The "bandwidth" of the actual game engine is the same though, so anything too busy around the player lags just as much in SH4 as it does in SH3, as the game tries to keep up with the world around the player...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-22, 09:54 AM   #11
rainbowjose
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The big difference between SH3 and SH4 is that SH4 has "dynamic loading". It only loads assets that it has to for the immediate roughly 32nm radius around the player's sub, and the campaign files based upon date. Hence, the "efficiency" of starting the game... The "bandwidth" of the actual game engine is the same though, so anything too busy around the player lags just as much in SH4 as it does in SH3, as the game tries to keep up with the world around the player...
Very interesting information, thank you.
Old 08-30-22, 12:12 PM   #12
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default My 2 cents

First off, I'm not a Modder, but I'm a beneficiary of The Mods created by some very talented people. And for this I want to thank you all. I play SHIII with several Big Mods and appreciate everything that each Mod bring to the table.

The load time can be a tad long, no problem here. I hook up with a bud that lives about an hour away from my house, for some SHIII gameplay and a bull session, and he doesn't mind neither. The wait is well worth it. Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I've reading through this thread, so I figured this was the correct place for what's been on my mind for a while.
Old 08-30-22, 02:11 PM   #13
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
First off, I'm not a Modder, but I'm a beneficiary of The Mods created by some very talented people. And for this I want to thank you all. I play SHIII with several Big Mods and appreciate everything that each Mod bring to the table.

The load time can be a tad long, no problem here. I hook up with a bud that lives about an hour away from my house, for some SHIII gameplay and a bull session, and he doesn't mind neither. The wait is well worth it. Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I've reading through this thread, so I figured this was the correct place for what's been on my mind for a while.
Agree 100%...
Old 09-01-22, 02:48 PM   #14
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Textures are a big part of the load times, but not the only one. The size of your campaign files (i.e. how many ships/convoys around the world are loaded) also matters. If you use the "only" mediterranean or black sea campaign files you will notice much quicker loading times. It's true in those scenaries not all units of the roster are used, but still it makes a huge difference.