SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-15, 02:50 PM   #2581
jim_nihilist
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskimike View Post
maaaaan, that's hidden
thank you, now I can finally go out there and hunt some ships
Never mind, I had problems too, to find it.

And with the Charts...don't forget to scroll, even though you maximised the window. And now have fun with a polished and stable Megamod.

Last edited by jim_nihilist; 09-10-15 at 03:49 PM.
jim_nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-15, 06:31 PM   #2582
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Wiskimike
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link.
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Treat Yourself To The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod <> SH5 The Dawn Of A New Beginning
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:37 AM   #2583
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

I put "the wolves of steel 1.04 patch 7" into the MODS folder in the main sh5 directory? Correct?
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 11:57 AM   #2584
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
I put "the wolves of steel 1.04 patch 7" into the MODS folder in the main sh5 directory? Correct?
Correct...

vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 12:41 PM   #2585
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3216

Quote:
I start to receive ctd's after many minutes of 512 TC, or more than 64tc.
64tc seems ok, I managed to use the Kiel Harbor pilot script back to the harbor, without any ctd. So, to make sure about a long journey, I usually 512 for 1-2 minutes, then save.... Then continue. ...

ALso the game CTD's after a hour or two of normal, and half a hour spent in heavy visual places, but luckily no invalid saves, every game loads back fine.
I never go more than 256 TC with TWoS in free areas and 128 TC in populated areas, and no problem with CTDs.

I did a trip for ALL the Kiel canal without savings, without reloading game, between 1 TC to 64 TC, more than two hours of game time, of course, and no CTDs, I spent three hours in Kiel with all the TWoS traffic, seeing they and changing cameras, and no CTDs.

Best regards and thanks for a Commander for SH5 (a must have...).

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 01:23 PM   #2586
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Vecko,

Thanks for the answer.

I just want to let you know your mega mod collection is the one that has convinced me to try sh5. I am an old school sh3 NYGM guy and now I am taking the leap of faith. I am going slow and trying to learn as much as I can before first campaign so I am playing around in the "missions" right now to try to learn what all the sh5 buttons do (travel mode?????). This will take awhile because there is not much documentation for original sh5 buttons.

Anyway, thanks a million for what you have done here. TDW too and all the other modders that made this game playable and now sim like. I am excited for the future as it seems you are,still at work!

I have watched some videos and I have to ask.... Is the burning effect when you torpedo a ship something you can adjust? Most ships (like 98%) never burned when hit.

Keep up the stellar work!!!
Old 09-11-15, 02:26 PM   #2587
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Vecko,

Thanks for the answer.

I just want to let you know your mega mod collection is the one that has convinced me to try sh5. I am an old school sh3 NYGM guy and now I am taking the leap of faith. I am going slow and trying to learn as much as I can before first campaign so I am playing around in the "missions" right now to try to learn what all the sh5 buttons do (travel mode?????). This will take awhile because there is not much documentation for original sh5 buttons.
For a start, make sure to read FAQ and tips (check my sig) and you will find there a lot useful informations regarding gameplay, common issues and game stability. Of course, you can always ask here if something still seems unclear to you...
Travel mod (as set in WoS) will only prevent TC to drop to x1 in coast proximity. Very useful for Kiel kanal for example...

Quote:
I have watched some videos and I have to ask.... Is the burning effect when you torpedo a ship something you can adjust? Most ships (like 98%) never burned when hit.
I don't know which video you've watched but they will burn, trust me...
Although, this may depends of hit location, internal cargo, ship type, taken damage ect ect...
Old 09-11-15, 03:26 PM   #2588
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Sorry I read my post and it was not clear. What I mean to say is that historically ship do NOT burn in real life from a torpedo hit. Just wrecked decks and flooding. In the videos I have seen of this mega mod it seems they always burn. I wonder if that can be toned down?
Old 09-11-15, 03:50 PM   #2589
Deutschland
Mate

Downloads: 38
Default SH5 great

still a fantastic Mod
great sailors
Deutschland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-15, 07:41 AM   #2590
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sorry I read my post and it was not clear. What I mean to say is that historically ship do NOT burn in real life from a torpedo hit. Just wrecked decks and flooding. In the videos I have seen of this mega mod it seems they always burn. I wonder if that can be toned down?
I see... I'm not sure there's such "direct" solution for that. Maybe you can try do lower/disable particle effects but still, you may not be satisfied with the result.

Anyway, ship fires have important effect on damage model in SH5 because they'll cause additional and postponed damage. If you go through FX Update readme documentation carefully, maybe you'll find there what you are looking for...
Old 09-12-15, 08:36 AM   #2591
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

I'll check it out when I get time. Thanks!

I know that one of the fixes in NYGM was lowering the chance of fire to keep in check with reality. Most torpedoed allied ships just report a dull thud and flooding. Plus a wrecked deck usually. The detonation was enough to compromise watertight barriers so it was just a matter of time until sinking. Fire was very rare and, like you said, had a much higher chance if it was a tanker.

Cheers

Edit: is there a trick to setting precise headings? The stock blow up compass is not good for this.

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 09-12-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 01:25 PM   #2592
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Edit: is there a trick to setting precise headings? The stock blow up compass is not good for this.
If you switch to SH5 Enhanced UI with Options File Editor then you'll be able to set heading precisely with heading bar (plus classic compass will also be available). This type of interface is a bit too "laptopish" for me though... You can also set magnification percentage of compass dial ect...
Old 09-13-15, 04:26 AM   #2593
Wiskimike
Nub

Downloads: 6

Now, after I was able to sunk some polish ships in the first mission I run out of Torpedos.
Okay I thought, go back to a German harbour and fill up Diesel and Torpedos - but there was no anchor sign like in the orignial game.
Okay, I thought, maybe Königsberg isn't able to give me some Torpedes so I went back to Memel harbour where I start the mission. But also there - no torpedos, no Diesel Fuel.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible anymore to fill up Torpedos and Diesel during a mission?

Have a nice Sunday!
Wiskimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-15, 06:33 AM   #2594
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskimike View Post
Now, after I was able to sunk some polish ships in the first mission I run out of Torpedos.
Okay I thought, go back to a German harbour and fill up Diesel and Torpedos - but there was no anchor sign like in the orignial game.
Okay, I thought, maybe Königsberg isn't able to give me some Torpedes so I went back to Memel harbour where I start the mission. But also there - no torpedos, no Diesel Fuel.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible anymore to fill up Torpedos and Diesel during a mission?

Have a nice Sunday!
With TWoS, you will be able to dock/refit only in historically correct major bases that could support U-Boat operations. No more refitting on every blue anchor sing out there...
Did you receive "move to Kiel on patrol end " message? Maybe you should follow your orders?
Old 09-14-15, 03:50 PM   #2595
RoflCopter4
Seaman

Downloads: 51

I'm just curious, is instability and periodic crashing something unavoidable with SH5 or have I actually messed up the installation here? I've come to just get used to it but it is very annoying. You even mention in the FAQ to restart every time you go back near your home port to avoid a rendering shock, and I can report that not doing this invariably makes the game crash. It crashes when you use high TC for too long, crashes when you play too long in general, crashes when you insult it's mother, crashes when it stubs its toe, etc.
RoflCopter4 is offline   Reply With Quote