SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-15, 07:37 PM   #3421
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
OK, that will require some extensive testing. Cant do it now though, but I could fire few torpedoes on it...
Take your time on it. Just tried firing a set of torpedoes at different depths. Everything is as expected. The bunker in my screenies below survived four torpedo hits unharmed

Quote:
What about "guns hitting platform when trained down" problem? Could you lower invisible collision wall a bit?
Quote:
EDIT
There's another problem though, If sub is close enough to the bunker and guns need to be trained down slightly, the shell will always hit some kind of invisible wall...

Yes, invisible collision wall is rising slightly above platform level, just checked in goblin...
tested it too. It this close enough?

If you get much closer than this, the shell should realistically hit platform's floor. I doesn't because, due to the bug I described yesterday, I had to make platform's collision mesh open on both bottom and top ends, so the shell is hitting the inner part of platforms' wall. That's a flaw indeed. Well spotted Vecko!

Possible solutions that are coming to my mind are:
  • lowering a bit the collision mesh (but that would be a bit unrealistic, as it would suppose an impossible shell trajectory for avoiding the platform and, as you know, I am not a friend of this sort of "shortcuts" );
  • moving the bunker further forward relative to its platform (but not too much otherwise, as you have already experienced, the gun wont work at all);
  • using the ObjectTurret controller for limiting guns's nevative elevation to what will avoid platform hits by CD guns, and closing the way to any sneaking U-boat with mines and/or with my upcoming subnets, conveniently placed in gun's blind spots (as you can imagine that's my favourite, but I know you will have some objections);
  • a mix of the above.

Let's ponder about them
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 09:14 PM   #3422
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
[LIST][*]lowering a bit the collision mesh (but that would be a bit unrealistic, as it would suppose an impossible shell trajectory for avoiding the platform and, as you know, I am not a friend of this sort of "shortcuts" );
I dont get you there Gap? What would be unrealistic?
Right now, collision mesh stick out aproximately 1-2 m over the platforms top resulting in inner side hit even when is clearly visible that shell should "pass"...
Can you somehow match collision mesh height with actual visible 3d model, that is my question...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 09:38 PM   #3423
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I dont get you there Gap? What would be unrealistic?
Right now, collision mesh stick out aproximately 1-2 m over the platforms top resulting in inner side hit even when is clearly visible that shell should "pass"...
Can you somehow match collision mesh height with actual visible 3d model, that is my question...
That must be an optical illusion Vecko, or you are looking into the wrong GR2 file. I can ensure you that the collison mesh of the file I sent you, is exactly as high as its platform. Measured in Wings3d.

I will admit that the collision model it is a bit wider than the platform itself though, and in theory this fact could amplify gun's blind spot. But I widened it by such a small amount that this effect is negligible, and largely compensated by the fact that SH5's shells are dimensionless points.
Old 12-12-15, 09:52 PM   #3424
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
That must be an optical illusion Vecko, or you are looking into the wrong GR2 file. I can ensure you that the collison mesh of the file I sent you, is exactly as high as its platform. Measured in Wings3d.

I will admit that the collision model it is a bit wider than the platform itself though, and in theory this fact could amplify gun's blind spot. But I widened it by such a small amount that this effect is negligible, and largely compensated by the fact that SH5's shells are dimensionless points.
You just dont want to let me sleep...

There is no optical illusion and under certain angles ( where mesh has larger distance from actual 3d model) deck gun shells are disrupted up to ~500m approximately...

Here's one biiiiig screenshot for you...

Old 12-13-15, 02:02 AM   #3425
Kruniac
Swabbie

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

How do I fix the constant TC drop from over 64 to 1? I could care less if a friendly ship is nearby - I'm not crusing to Kiel on x64. It's boring as hell.
Kruniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 02:22 AM   #3426
Uboot1
Watch

Downloads: 11

Hey again, in happy times i don't have any upgrade's it's normal? I have only two torpedos and basic things from 1939.

Hm ok more things in future. Awesome mod by the way, but alot of CTD. Still 2000x better than vanilla.

Last edited by Uboot1; 12-13-15 at 05:33 AM.
Uboot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 07:30 AM   #3427
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
There is no optical illusion and under certain angles ( where mesh has larger distance from actual 3d model) deck gun shells are disrupted up to ~500m approximately...

Here's one biiiiig screenshot for you...
The big screenshot helped a lot... Sorry Vecko, I had sent you the wrong GR2 file, I must be affected by early-onset Alzheimer's

Please redownload the collisionable platform package:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1m...fensesParts.7z

Old 12-13-15, 08:07 AM   #3428
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruniac View Post
It's boring as hell.
Welcome to WW2 submarine warfare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uboot1 View Post
... I have only two torpedos ...

...Awesome mod by the way, but alot of CTD. ...
You may wish to reinstall your game/modpack and to check once again tips for stable gameplay. With my current playtrough, I've passed 3 campaigns (TG,HT,WA) with only 2 CTDs in situations when I was intentionally ignore some of my own tips, in order to test game/engine limits...
Two torpedoes??
Old 12-13-15, 09:02 AM   #3429
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
The big screenshot helped a lot... Sorry Vecko, I had sent you the wrong GR2 file, I must be affected by early-onset Alzheimer's

Please redownload the collisionable platform package:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1m...fensesParts.7z

Anyway, I asked Fritz the gunner to lay down on the platform once again and take a photo...

As you can see, from this perspective is clearly visible that mesh height is not so minuscule after all...Fritz is not happy !

EDIT:
Fritz says that the new platform is much better, Fritz is happy!

Last edited by vdr1981; 12-13-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-13-15, 09:14 AM   #3430
Uboot1
Watch

Downloads: 11

I have only this two in my upgrade menu.

Also my save is corrupted, black screen after load. So i lost a hour from my life but it's my fault, i need save more frequently.

It's not first time. It is possible to fix my save? I'd rather know what things corrupted this save.

http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/vtGq5PvN/file.html link here. I wonder what it is.
Uboot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 09:33 AM   #3431
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uboot1 View Post
I'd rather know what things corrupted this save.

http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/vtGq5PvN/file.html link here. I wonder what it is.
You have sunk friendly unit and your campaign is now over...Appropriate penalty for trigger happy captains IMO...

Code:
[Log Entry 7]
ClassID=251BB8F;sLogUnitDestroyedEntry
Type=9
Date=0
Time=131223
Blob=0
UniqueID=-6468833903078708395
EntryStatus=1
CreatedMissionStatus=false
EntryText=Long   4° 43' W, Lat  47° 45' N|Ship sunk! Medium European Composite Freighter, 5259 tons
EntryTitle=August 22, 1940, 13:12
Categ=0
UnitName=_Medium Old Composite Merchant#16
UnitClassName=KMCSZinbu
UnitType=102
UnitSide=2
Tonnage=5259
P.S.
Torpedoes are OK...
Old 12-13-15, 09:47 AM   #3432
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Anyway, I asked Fritz the gunner to lay down on the platform once again and take a photo...

As you can see, from this perspective is clearly visible that mesh height is not so minuscule after all...Fritz is not happy !
Ask Fritz if he took the last photograph while standing on the new platform, whose plans I have dispatched to you today.
Old 12-13-15, 10:01 AM   #3433
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Ask Fritz if he took the last photograph while standing on the new platform, whose plans I have dispatched to you today.
Fritz loves new platform!
Old 12-13-15, 10:38 AM   #3434
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Fritz loves new platform!
But...

Quote:

If you get much closer than this, the shell should realistically hit platform's floor. I doesn't because, due to the bug I described yesterday, I had to make platform's collision mesh open on both bottom and top ends, so the shell is hitting the inner part of platforms' wall. That's a flaw indeed. Well spotted Vecko!

Possible solutions that are coming to my mind are:
  • lowering a bit the collision mesh (but that would be a bit unrealistic, as it would suppose an impossible shell trajectory for avoiding the platform and, as you know, I am not a friend of this sort of "shortcuts" );
  • moving the bunker further forward relative to its platform (but not too much otherwise, as you have already experienced, the gun wont work at all);
  • using the ObjectTurret controller for limiting guns's nevative elevation to what will avoid platform hits by CD guns, and closing the way to any sneaking U-boat with mines and/or with my upcoming subnets, conveniently placed in gun's blind spots (as you can imagine that's my favourite, but I know you will have some objections);
  • a mix of the above.

Let's ponder about them
How do you see it
Old 12-13-15, 10:48 AM   #3435
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
But...

How do you see it
Excellent!
Fritz's cousin form England manage to blow up my conning twr in situation similar like in that picture. I was deck awash though but all is OK now ...
Later I'll test Fritz's resistance to heavy damage.