SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-20, 02:50 PM   #646
Beach Bum
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Not sure if this is your problem, but you need to change all folder/file properties to uncheck the read-only box. Do this before you run LAA.
Which version did you dowload from Steam? It has to be at v1.5 (Uboat Missions) for FOTRSU to work.
I figured out I'd been installing the wrong version of SH4 as I was running through the procedure again while writing the post, just to be absolutely certain I wasn't messing something up (because of course I was, the user is always dumb/wrong/etc.). I tried to make that obvious in the post so that nobody would make a post like yours and try to help me, and also to warn other folks of what happens when you install the wrong version
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 04:08 PM   #647
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
I figured out I'd been installing the wrong version of SH4 as I was running through the procedure again while writing the post, just to be absolutely certain I wasn't messing something up (because of course I was, the user is always dumb/wrong/etc.). I tried to make that obvious in the post so that nobody would make a post like yours and try to help me, and also to warn other folks of what happens when you install the wrong version
ok, you've beat yourself up enough. that does not mean that we won't beat you up also.

glad you've fixed your install. hopefully, you have NOT installed to the standard Windows folder. always install to somewhere else. for example: c:\Ubisoft\SH4\FOTRSU

and then be sure to install/copy Jones Generic Mod Editor so that you can easily apply your selected mod set.
and then install Large Aware Address (LAA) so that you can utilize all of that modern memory that came with your PC.
then before you actually use LAA, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that come with it. there is a small amount of prep work to be performed before you can use it.

and then go have a beer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 02:42 PM   #648
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
I was going off a sound contact from my sonar. So after the boat turned to the heading, I went to the free camera. I 'flew' the super secret UAV towards the coast and the first thing I saw was an island that had a mountain on it I flew over the top of that and I was back over water. I saw a small image in front of me. When I reached the image, I noticed it was a Zero with the engine ablaze. I could see the coast behind the plane as I was moved around it and water was still beneath us. At the moment, I'm not at home. When I get back, I will try to reload the save and see if I can find it again.
Thanks for the further info. If you can get a pic of the transgression, fantastic - but don't worry too much about it. I have discovered what causes some of these airplanes to go bonkers, and it does have to do with their "minimum speed". It seems that the airfields will generate a plane at that speed, and that is the speed they do. Airplanes also do not know how to read their gauges, especially figuring-out the difference between their altimeter reading and their actual height over land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Uss Grayling (SS-209) Gar.
Long 139 36E
Lat 34 53N

Almost the end of my second patrol out of Midway, we're just North East of that first island outside of Tokyo bay, if you look on a real world map its called Ishima Island, but you might already know that, I thought it would be nice to give everyone who reads this thread a bit of a geography lesson.

Ships sunk,
Modern Passenger Liner
Large Composite Freighter
Large Modern Tanker

Warships in attendence,
Light Cruiser Naka Class (in with the convoy)
Fubuki
Kamikaze
E Shimuzu

I don't remember any of the other ships as I've just been diagnosed with depth charge syndrome and as you know forgetfulness is one of its symptoms. So down to the problem, the dials are all stuck at 12.00 high, the sonar lines are still working and so is the sonar man so it must be something you've done to my submarine, if you need any other information it'll cost you, and my dials working correctly is the price.

Hopefully there's enough info up there to give you an idea as to the problem.
Thanks for the info. There have been no actual changes to the submarines. They are still the same as they have been for numerous releases. What we have found though, is that any little configuration setting that is wrong, it can and will propagate throughout the game and affect Saves and all sorts of other aspects of the game. The problem is in tracking down what ~was~ changed in the game - or if its actually been there all along... ?? - Sometimes a Save, Exit and then Restart and Reload will clear things, but then again, as seen with other players, you might "trash" the Save info also, and then not be able to reload your Save... - I still cannot replicate what some of the players have reported, unless I do a Save while on the boat and within the Home Port terminal area... and even then, I don't think I have encountered what you guys have, because I still haven't lost my gauges nor not been able to reload a Save. All I can get is some sound issues, NavMap issues, etc., and a Save and exit seems to fix it when I come back into the game later... dunno. Still looking though.

Quote:
More than one person before you has done this Beach Bum... Thanks for the update and the resolution.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 04:00 PM   #649
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

Quote:
FAKE EDIT: I'm leaving this here as a billboard of shame... see the last lines before composing a reply.

Hello folks,

Having a bit of an issue getting the game to load. I have burned up a dozen or so gigs of bandwidth redownloading the Steam version of SH4 today ensuring I am doing this right. Here's what I'm doing, just so I give you devs a comprehensive procedure so that you can tell me what I'm doing wrong (because Wolfpack345's livestream video has got me hooked and I want to play)

System Data:
Win10 Pro N
i5-8600K, 16gb RAM, 1070Ti
Install on SSD
Steam Library folder installed to SSD root
  1. Delete SH4 saves folder
  2. Install SH4 via Steam to C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific
  3. Run LAA on SH4.exe
  4. Create JSGME "Mods" folder
  5. Run JSGME "Snapshot" task.
  6. Extract FotRSU folder to "Mods" from archive
  7. Enable FotRSU via JSGME
  8. Run SH4.exe

When I run SH4, the opening video and cinematic play without issue. The problem occurs when the splash screen loading bar fills up, and I start getting dialog boxes in the background stating "File Not Found: [blah]" and there's like a billionty of them (at least, I'm not quite willing to wear out my spacebar finding the end). They seem to repeat. Example:

https://i.imgur.com/rXDHlBa.png

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

*FAKE EDIT: I FOUND OUT I WAS INSTALLING THE NON-UBOAT VERSION THE WHOLE TIME BECAUSE THE UBOAT VERSION WAS IN MY FAVORITES CATEGORY Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

Game loads fine now that it can find all the files it's looking for. Hope to post some tonnage reports soon! (elsewhere, of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I have this same issue every time I have to reload a pristine version of SH4 1.5. One of the skippers on this site (sorry, don't remember who) gave me this solution. It works perfectly for me.

First go into Task Manager and make sure SH4.exe process is not actually running. End the program there if it is.

Then, go back to your desktop and:

1. Right click on the SH4 shortcut or SH4.exe;
2. Click on Properties;
3. Click on the Compatibility Tab;
4. Click on the "Change high DPI Settings" button
5. Check the box at the bottom ("Override high DPI Scaling behavior. Scaling performed by Application")
6. Click the OK buttons (both of them) to save the new setting.
7. Try starting SH4 again.

Like I said, this works for me like magic. Hope it helps you too.
I'm glad you got it all sorted out! But if I may insert my 'two cents worth!' I would be able to get to the third patrol and 'save" about 150 nm from my home port which was Pearl Harbor, I would 'save' the game and exit. Start the game and every time it would CTD. Thinking I done something wrong during installation of the program, I would delete everything and start from scratch. Until just the other day, I read a thread, 'Window 10 issue' on the 'SH4 Wovles of the Pacific' forum. After making the changes suggested by TorpedoBait, I opened the saved file that crashed before without any problems. If you have problems later, give this a try.
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 10:39 AM   #650
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Quote:
Something I don't see every day...

A plane hung in the air.

Larry

This is from a post that I made earlier that I couldn't edit: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpos...&postcount=633 I hope that this works now.

Larry
Old 03-29-20, 12:55 PM   #651
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

This is from a post that I made earlier that I couldn't edit: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpos...&postcount=633 I hope that this works now.

Larry
i have seen a plane "sink" on the flight deck of a carrier.
we were submerged and watching a CVA take gunfire from a surface vessel. a plane on the flight deck was hit, flew up into the air, fell to the flight deck and slowly sank into the flight deck. weirdest thing i have seen in a while.

LAA enabled
Old 03-29-20, 01:42 PM   #652
propbeanie

Quote:

Larry
Missing most of its starboard wing... Are you certain you weren't beyond the rendering range of the "land" right there though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i have seen a plane "sink" on the flight deck of a carrier.
we were submerged and watching a CVA take gunfire from a surface vessel. a plane on the flight deck was hit, flew up into the air, fell to the flight deck and slowly sank into the flight deck. weirdest thing i have seen in a while.
It burnt a hole through the wooden flight deck...

Old 03-29-20, 03:41 PM   #653
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Missing most of its starboard wing... Are you certain you weren't beyond the rendering range of the "land" right there though?

It burnt a hole through the wooden flight deck...
it couldn't have: it wasn't on fire.
it sank.

LAA enabled
Old 03-30-20, 07:27 AM   #654
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

[QUOTE=propbeanie;2658411]Missing most of its starboard wing... Are you certain you weren't beyond the rendering range of the "land" right there though?

It's possible but everything around 'looked' normal the closer I would get to it.
Old 03-30-20, 02:05 PM   #655
propbeanie

@ KaleunMarco - the fire was so hot (how hot was it?) you could see the flames... but really, its the way the on-deck planes are built - or rather, just about anything destructible in the game. It all sinks...

@ Larrywb57 - thanks for that Larrywb57. As an update, I have found issues in all of the Jap Harbor Traffic files, which was "split" several versions ago for efficiency. Unfortunately when you copy a mistake in one file to six others, it makes if more difficult to find and "repair" the oversight. This is where the six ships in one on the east coast of Formosa came from. The was several in the one location. There was also one in Truk, a few in Osaka, etc. All told 15 I think is what I told s7rikeback... but anyway, since they don't spawn all of the time, and most of them are set to less that 30% spawn rates, you have a 1 in 3 chance of encountering a "resource" and / or "bandwidth" issue with the game when coming within these groups' "spawn range". This is not to say that it is the cause of the issue - but it certainly doesn't help things... In my attempts at the repair, I induced new errors into the files ( ) - naturally, and I'm in the process of finishing up on the last one. Then I can try testing those files in a career and seeing if things are better.

Old 03-30-20, 05:28 PM   #656
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I noticed that you have the .dat file and the texture for Sofu Gan in your files, if you add the text for it to the bottom of the campaign_loc you can actually see that piece of rock as you are sailing by it.

[MapLocation 1023]
Type=0
Priority=0
Title=Sofu Gan
Heading=123.000000
OnLand=false
ShowOnMap=true
FirstRenderStep=false
FileName2D=None.dds
FileName3D=SofuGan.dat
LocationName=Sofu Gan
MinObjTerrainHeight=0
MaxObjSlope=1.000000
GameEntryDate=19380101
GameEntryTime=0
GameExitDate=19451231
GameExitTime=0
Font=FPCond18.dds
FontColor=255
UseDetColor=true
ZoomStart=50
ZoomEnd=1
ScaleOnZoom=true
Scale1024=14.377808
Long=16842640.000000
Lat=3576380.000000
Height=0.000000
Old 03-30-20, 09:46 PM   #657
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default multiple cursors

here's a new wrinkle i have not experienced previously.
multiple cursors.
the game's normal cursor is a sort of gold arrow. and now it has a white arrow sitting on top of the gold arrow. when i use one of the GUI aids such as the compass, it shows the white cursor on top of the compass cursor.
performance-wise, it kind of messes with crew movement as well as GUI tools use.
i attempted to get a screen shot but the process for that just captures the gold (SH4) cursor and not the Win10(?) cursor.
have you experienced this previously?
any ideas as to the cause?
career mission. Mid-June 1944. actually it started previous mission...mid-may.
driving a Balao out of Midway.
no changes in config since starting career, umpteen missions ago.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU_81\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.0.1.g_EN
100a_D3D9_AntiLag
100b_EasyAOB_FotRSU
100c_NoScrollNavMap_FotRSU
100d_strategic_map_symbols

LAA enabled
Old 03-31-20, 04:16 AM   #658
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I noticed that you have the .dat file and the texture for Sofu Gan in your files, if you add the text for it to the bottom of the campaign_loc you can actually see that piece of rock as you are sailing by it.

[MapLocation 1023]
Type=0
Priority=0
Title=Sofu Gan
Heading=123.000000
OnLand=false
ShowOnMap=true
FirstRenderStep=false
FileName2D=None.dds
FileName3D=SofuGan.dat
LocationName=Sofu Gan
MinObjTerrainHeight=0
MaxObjSlope=1.000000
GameEntryDate=19380101
GameEntryTime=0
GameExitDate=19451231
GameExitTime=0
Font=FPCond18.dds
FontColor=255
UseDetColor=true
ZoomStart=50
ZoomEnd=1
ScaleOnZoom=true
Scale1024=14.377808
Long=16842640.000000
Lat=3576380.000000
Height=0.000000
Trying it out. Thanks

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 05:20 AM   #659
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Something;ng new and different (in a good way)

On patrol west of Savo Island, September 1942 in USS Salmon (SS-182) attacked an incoming IJN TF with some good results, sinking 3 of the "merchant" DDE's. Upon surfacing I was getting a sonar contact way down the channel toward Honaria. I had no chance of getting there myself, so I used the external camera to view the contact. It was a Kuma light cruiser that had escaped my attack.

Now the good part: Kuma was being assailed by 3 Wildcats. I saw the planes diving in and dropping bombs, with the Kuma's AA going crazy. Two of the planes were burning, but dropped their loads anyway. In the midst of the attack, Kuma was firing torpedoes from both sides! Apparently that is one of the responses to any attack if the object is close enough. Finally, one bomb hit Kuma dead center, blowing it to hell via Iron Bottom Sound.

The next night another run by the IJN resulted in air attacks triggered I'm sure by my successful torpedo attacks. Again I watched the AA action on a destroyer, and sure enough she started spitting out torpedoes as well as her AA.

This is probably a byproduct of the manner in which defensive torpedo launches are generated, and I do not consider it a flaw, per se. Sort of like planes that drop torpedoes, something was "borrowed" to add to the realism. Pretty cool actually to see the torpedoes shooting out and splashing into the sea.

One other thing, all 3 of the Wildcats were shot down. The crews were in rafts with the pink flare marking their positions. I was able to approach and rescue all 3 crews (getting pretty good at that one, at least in fairly calm seas), but though it felt good to save the crews, there is no credit for a successful rescue. Perhaps one day that can change? There is often some risk in surfacing to pick up survivors. I guess the satisfaction of a job well done is enough for now.

Good Hunting!

EDIT: it was USS Swordfish, SS-193, NOT the Salmon.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 04-01-20 at 04:03 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 08:53 AM   #660
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299
Icon7

Just north west of Manila, came across a convoy of 2 BBs and numerous destroyers and assorted merchants. Sent a contact report and got orders back not to engage but break contact and carry out my original orders, other forces will be vectored in to attack Never seen this happen before, but it certainly adds variety to the proceedings!

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote