SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-21, 05:49 PM   #3226
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953
Uploads: 0

is there any mod that changes the climate more frequently?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 06:15 PM   #3227
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i may revise my response to this issue.

i am playing 1.46 and it's March 1942, so we playing against the 42a traffic pattern.
we are patrolling the east side of Luzon and there is nothing. no traffic. zero. zip. nada. bupkis.
before going on patrol i reviewed the 42a traffic and Campaign files and saw nothing out of the ordinary but clearly something is out of the ordinary.
FWIW, we did not encounter a ship (junks, sampans, etc, not counted) all the way from Singapore to Convoy College then along the eastern Ryukyus to Kyushu, where we finally found a convoy.

The two encounters we had prior were due S of HK, approximately 70 km SE from the nearest contour line, and 490 km, 75 degrees from Saigon.

ETA: I'm playing 1.46 as well.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 06:18 PM   #3228
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i may revise my response to this issue.

i am playing 1.46 and it's March 1942, so we playing against the 42a traffic pattern.
we are patrolling the east side of Luzon and there is nothing. no traffic. zero. zip. nada. bupkis.
before going on patrol i reviewed the 42a traffic and Campaign files and saw nothing out of the ordinary but clearly something is out of the ordinary.
The 42a Convoys, Merchants, TaskForces & Troopship layers combined, no HarborTraffic, no SubHunteres, no Coastal...

I don't know where you guys are sitting to not have any traffic, but this is a April 1st date roughly, and the 41a layer is still partially running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus View Post
is there any mod that changes the climate more frequently?
Not for FotRSU, and I doubt in much of anything helps. If the install or mod activation is not done correctly, you might be stuck. The game also has a tendency, as I mentioned, to seemingly be "stuck" in one state, but that is the way the games random number generator works, which it of course gets from DirectX v9c... You might encounter 15 days of rain, and then 15 days of beautiful gorgeous sunshine days with flat-calm seas, and then it might start being variable. Several people have noodled with attempt to alter the weather, but as far as I know, no one has completely succeeded. You tweak one thing, it breaks another.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 06:28 PM   #3229
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The 42a Convoys, Merchants, TaskForces & Troopship layers combined, no HarborTraffic, no SubHunteres, no Coastal...

I don't know where you guys are sitting to not have any traffic, but this is a April 1st date roughly, and the 41a layer is still partially running..
i understand what you saying because i have mapped the traffic, also.
there has to be an explanation. we just have to find it.
these are observations not criticisms.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 06:16 AM   #3230
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

The 42a_Jap_Convoys mis files state that it doesn't begin until GameEntryDate=19420301, you'll have to give them time to spawn first and also sail to where you are.

It's time this was sorted out. Over to you Mr beanie.
Why doesn't the stock game not have this problem and are there other Mega mods with the same spawn date problems.
Old 05-10-21, 08:01 AM   #3231
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
The 42a_Jap_Convoys mis files state that it doesn't begin until GameEntryDate=19420301, you'll have to give them time to spawn first and also sail to where you are.
there may be something in what you say.
i ran the simulator with the 42a set and it took 8 or 9 days for vessels to begin to show up east of Luzon, which does not mean that the regular app will have the same results, but it means that the framework is working.

i intend to try once more and wait the required time to see if any one shows up.
i hate throwing a party and no one shows up.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 12:25 PM   #3232
propbeanie

Let's do this...

Here is a merge of the 41a set of Convoys, Merchants, TaskForce & Troopship, on the date of 28 Feb, 1941. Notice the traffic level. This is the last date of the 41a layer, when all RGG will cease to SPAWN - not operate, but will no longer spawn.

I showed an image above of the 42a merged layers at the beginning of April 1942. Refer to that above in a previous post. It is nearly a fully spawned layer by this time. Now, here is the 41a merged layers on 15 March 1942, which is the RGG that had spawned on or prior to 28 Feb 1942, still traveling to destination:

Here is the 42a layer early on 10 March, 1942 (almost fully populated):

If I put those together, through the magic and wonder of PhotoShopLE, I get this:

Now, I wasn't very good at my screen grabs, but it gives you the idea of the point I am making:

There is no such thing as a "gap" between layers. As the one layer fades out, the other is fading in. You will find lower spawning rates, but the previous layer traffic is still traveling. The 41a layer doesn't quit completely until mid 1942, but the 42a layer is mostly fully functional by April 1. If anything, you will find MORE traffic at the "transition" time frames. This applies to TMO, Stock, RFB, RSRDC, DW, OM, WDAD, etc.

PS: I very much detest the "New" Windows and its displaying of advertisements on my OS "Notifications" area, and I can't close them without opening the advertiser's web site. Who came up with this idea?... sheesh! How do I block this crap, which used to be called "spam"??

Old 05-10-21, 01:59 PM   #3233
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

First, just wanted to compliment the team on the mod as a whole but in particular the Chidori/Otori torpedo boats, they are beautiful vessels. Nice to finally have a real representation of those nasty buggers in the sim lol. Modified it to work in TMO, couple encounters have proven tough, survived but tough.

Second, far as traffic goes, I believe it's just a matter of not detecting contacts. Early war, no radar, likely running at TC and contacts are just out of sight. Happens in TMO as well. Working on adjusting visual sensors for crew because I can see a contact at distance but they can't? lol NOt sure if vicker's has released a FOTRS version of his smoke mod, which gives merchants visible smoke plumes (how they are usually visually tracked at distance) but it really helps contact and track enemies. Example: During time dive do a sonar sweep, hear very distant props. Surface or in early war just raise scope if staying submerged, zoom in, can often see smoke on horizon very distant, something do not have without the smoke(another UBI oversight) .

Harbor traffic, is hit or miss how it spawns, way random groups in harbor traffic files are usually set is something like 50 percent chance every 900 hours etc.

I have not had chance to open up the guts of the traffic files in FOTRS but at a glance seems similar to stock TMO etc far as random generated shipping goes. One thing I noticed is if a group is set to begin spawning at say 1 January at midnight and the interval is set to (to keep it simple) 24 hours, the vessels will not actually spawn until 2 January at midnight. If the spawn chance is set to say 50 percent, then it may not spawn for a few days , its random. To keep a proper balance in TMO i changed the early war random generated single merchants*for most of them) to 25 percent chance every 96-120 hour, keeps traffic at a reasonable and realistic level while giving player chance to encounter targets for most part. Of course, some areas are busier than other. Reduced the flood lone merchants. I'm not sure what FOTRS has set to, I will look later.

One thing to keep in mind, submarines did not always find something to shoot at. I know can be boring when it happens in the sim, but part of it.

I remember a patrol early war where was out for 42 days and found nothing to shoot out. En route back to Pearl Harbor, ran across a large 8000 ton merchant . Perfect approach and shot....four premature explosions, fired two more as target zigged which would have had hit, but they were two deep runners and passed under kel. Ship had big guns fore and aft so waited until she was over horizon to surface and go for end around. During the chase, storms blew in, heavy seas and fog, lost contact, had to turn for home. It happens.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 02:10 PM   #3234
Moonlight
Admiral

That's great to know that there isn't a gap between layers but, and it's a big but Mr beanie, you've actually posted about such "shall we call them gaps" in some previous posts of yours.
With all these buts flying around this post I'm probably being a pain in the butt again, oh god "pun intended" but players do need to know these things for definite Mr beanie.

Now about your ad popup problems, as you're on the Windows Insider program are you allowed to disable anything concerning Windows 10, oh well, here goes, try this program "Winaero Tweaker 0.19.1.0" it's what I use among other things, I'm not giving a download of it just it's name, oh yes, and it's been given the OK from a PC magazine that I buy fortnightly.
It's got loads of settings so you'll need to make a big cup of coffee, a large fag which is optional and some patience, some settings will work straight away while others need a reboot. Good Luck.

A tut with an official video to get you started, now how much is that worth Mr beanie.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultim...r-4-windows-10
Old 05-10-21, 03:50 PM   #3235
propbeanie

I am not certain of the possible use of the "tweaker" app as fare as "restrictions" with the license, but I am going to give it a whirl. MS will probably delete it with their next lab experiment of an Update anyways... I'm a-lookin' it up now. Thanks.

As for the "gaps", if you are in closer to shore, you will usually notice gaps at the seams, because the shore and harbor traffic don't travel as far, so terminate much quicker, which is what I was alluding to above when leaving out the Coastal and HarborTraffic layers. The subchasers are very numerous, and wouldn't matter much. But when you are out in the shipping lanes, you should see what appears to be a normal ebb and flow of traffic. I used to think there were gaps because lurker had "gap filler" files in earlier iterations of RSRDC, but after experimenting further with the layers in FotRSU, I no longer think that.

Old 05-10-21, 04:51 PM   #3236
Moonlight
Admiral

That Windows 10 insider thingie, can you back out of it?, if you're not running a business you don't need to be in it, it was not meant for peoples home PC's so I have no idea why you're even in it.

Get shut of it, join the force and become a Jedi.
Old 05-10-21, 05:10 PM   #3237
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
That Windows 10 insider thingie, can you back out of it?, if you're not running a business you don't need to be in it, it was not meant for peoples home PC's so I have no idea why you're even in it.

Microsoft force pushes the product.
Old 05-10-21, 09:52 PM   #3238
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Second, far as traffic goes, I believe it's just a matter of not detecting contacts. Early war, no radar, likely running at TC and contacts are just out of sight.
The patrol I described above is the fifth since the war began. The prior ones were all target rich, including the two before surface search radar was added. The patrol area isn't the open Pacific; I can understand not finding targets in either the Pescadores Strait terminus, crossing the Sulu Sea twice, the eastern Ryukyu lanes, the Singapore to Manila/Japan lanes, or the Luzon Straits (twice) on occasion but all of them sequentially?

And it's not just merchants: With all these planes being vectored in, why no DDs or subchasers too?

Plus it's happened before, both now to Marco and to me in previous careers.

Below is an excerpt from a previous version where something similar happened:

Fremantle-Dampier/Vitiaz-Admiralties-Papua coast-Halmahera Sea-Ceram Sea-Molucca Sea-Basilan Passage-Sibutu Passage-Makassar Strait-Fremantle. Sept-Nov 1943.

Issues:
- Other than sailing vessels, the only MV underway that we encountered was a DD we'd triggered by coming too close to one of the coastal bunkers in the Basilan Passage. Decided to raid a certain anchorage to finally score some tonnage, which led to the only MV merchant and two other warships on the entire patrol, all three anchored.

NB: it was actually Sibutu, not Basilan.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 10:28 PM   #3239
propbeanie

Quote:

I used to be a Win95/98/2k Jedi, but then that Anakin fellow came along, and also that little green, backwards-talking guy with the weird hair and ears... and now they're making movies of him as a baby... but if I could afford another Win10 license, I would drop the program, but I need something on this machine. My main problem (besides my getting old and senile) is they keep moving the stuff inside the OS for user settings, and I can't find things as fast as I used to ( )... and then each update changes things back anyway... and we did used to call that kind of behavior on a computer "undesirable" and the pop-up ads like that "Spam"...

As for the traffic, I have never had issues with finding things in FotRSU. Now, back when I did TMO / RSRDC, I did encounter several frustratingly boring patrols where I took to shooting up Sampans and fishing boats in attempts to have something come after me... but that was RSRDC and it's "historical" levels. Don't forget now, that we had complaints in previous versions about the sonar being too good when on the surface, so you will not get good reception when moving usually, but it does vary by boat. It is generally a good idea to take a dip every once in a while, at least to PD and check your sixes as you do it. Unfortunately, "testing" does not allow for but a few patrols each release, due to time constraints, but we'll definitely attempt to find something that can cause us to encounter similar. After all, after enough details from the players of FotRSU, we did finally find the cause of the stuck gauges, which is one of those issues that only applies to certain player submarines, after encountering certain IJN AI submarines, and only under certain conditions... needless to say, we do desire all input.

Old 05-11-21, 01:54 AM   #3240
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
After all, after enough details from the players of FotRSU, we did finally find the cause of the stuck gauges, which is one of those issues that only applies to certain player submarines, after encountering certain IJN AI submarines, and only under certain conditions... needless to say, we do desire all input.
So, I take it, that My game save data did help bear fruit, in finding the cause for 'High Noon' gauges, then..???

If so, then My pain at having it happen, was worth it all.

I hope & trust, that a solution or work around, will be forthcoming, sometime in the days ahead...

M. M.