SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-20, 12:44 PM   #1
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default Time compression keystrokes

Stock v1.5 CD version
Is there a way to automate the single-press "+" key TC acceleration? Slamming the "+" key hundreds of times to leave base is a PITA and isn't doing my "+" key any favors ....

TIA!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 06:52 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

No, that's not possible, in the file main.cfg of your savegame folder you can change what actions in the game will return the TC to a defined value, but to increase TC you have to press the + key for x1, x2, x4 etc. ,but even if you could change that it would make the game very unstable, high TC is never recommended when near traffic or near ports, so if you make a jump from - let's say x1 to x512 or x1024 you would soon crash the game in the situations I just mention, not very helpful for you.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 10:24 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Thanks for the info... sorta what I expected.

FWIW, I am able to run TC to 8192 without issues and mash the key a LOT when an allied ship contact or COMSUBPAC message trips it back to 1...

Old 06-10-20, 06:32 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
Thanks for the info... sorta what I expected.

FWIW, I am able to run TC to 8192 without issues and mash the key a LOT when an allied ship contact or COMSUBPAC message trips it back to 1...

it is strongly recommended that you not exceed TC of 1024, regardless of mod set.
if you are not experiencing problems to date, it is only a matter of time before you begin experiencing CTD (crash to desktop) for unexplained and unknown reasons.
good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 05:35 PM   #5
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it is strongly recommended that you not exceed TC of 1024, regardless of mod set.
if you are not experiencing problems to date, it is only a matter of time before you begin experiencing CTD (crash to desktop) for unexplained and unknown reasons.
good luck!

Thanks for the heads up...

Five years ago I installed SH4 V1.4 CD on my new Dell XPS 8900 32gb Win 10 64 PC and it has reliably run at 8192 with nary a hiccup (other than some slowing with many targets and the wear and tear on my "+" key ).

Upgraded to 1.5 and added the big protractor and mouse driven sonar indicator and it continued to run without a hitch.

Probably will get flamed because I installed it in the Programs folder before I signed up to SubSim and read the cautions against it , but it's run trouble free and I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If I get a CTD, will see if it's TC related...
Old 06-12-20, 10:01 PM   #6
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default No Flames here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
Thanks for the heads up...

Probably will get flamed because I installed it in the Programs folder before I signed up to SubSim and read the cautions against it , but it's run trouble free and I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ...

I've had mine installed in the Programs folder (along with about 30 other Steam Games) and none of the problems that I've encountered with any of them have ever been directly traceable to that.

As to your excessive time compression... I have experienced issues where the compression caused me problems on occasion, but never in an irrecoverable way. I do tend to save a lot so I've certainly saved more time than I've ever lost. The last time I experienced an issue I died from running aground coming into Freemantle with too much TC. But I just reloaded the last save and slowed down the TC a bit. The same course got me there just fine with less TC, I'm guessing that at high TC I ran into a friendly vessel that just didn't see me in time.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 10:19 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Still I try to find out if really high TC like x2048 or x4096 will exclude that I find contacts or that SH4 will return at x8 or x1 if I receive messages or radar contacts. I have tried with TMO+RSRDC+OTC going towards Japan at x4096 from Midway, and yes, the game stopped when I did encounter a task force in the middle of the ocean
2 carriers sunk, 3 CA heavy cruisers sunk after 12 hours game time and evasion tactics. Very interesting. Stupidly I missed to make a report which would have sent-in some friendly planes maybe.

But I still have to see this in FOTRSU, I use high TC often without problems but I suspect that this mod shouldn't be played at high TC if you want to make any contacts, not over x1024 as KaleunMarco suggests.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 01:12 PM   #8
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
As to your excessive time compression... I have experienced issues where the compression caused me problems on occasion, but never in an irrecoverable way. I do tend to save a lot so I've certainly saved more time than I've ever lost. The last time I experienced an issue I died from running aground coming into Freemantle with too much TC. But I just reloaded the last save and slowed down the TC a bit. The same course got me there just fine with less TC, I'm guessing that at high TC I ran into a friendly vessel that just didn't see me in time.

IMO it ain't "excessive" if it gets me to the Empire more quickly Damn, that Pacific is BIG!.

I had a similar problem running aground using high TC but IMO that's a Kaleun error and I subsequently planned my final approach courses to terminate parallel to the shoreline, or using a dogleg if necessary to avoid running aground.

Another exciting moment comes from "machine gunning" the "X" key at high TCs and missing a fast approaching aerial threat only to instantly find an angry Zero, Betty or Emily attacking the dumb Captain's boat...
Old 06-15-20, 09:54 AM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

TC is a relative thing, in relation to the computer. Two computers with the same hardware build but different users, will most likely react differently to TC, since the users have made software set-up changes. One guy can do 8196, the next one cannot get above 2048. "Bandwidth" is key... It would be really nice though to have a "256x TC" hot-key... hit it thrice and you're at 1024

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote