SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-10, 03:54 PM   #406
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Hello Stiebler,

please allow me one more question:

why do 5 of the UNARMED ship types in nygm have SEARCHLIGHTS?

NHSL = HOSPITAL SHIP
NLLs_ = MEDIUM CARGO
NLSQ_ = TRAMP STEAMER
NLSs_ = SMALL MERCHANT
NLTMs_ = LARGE TANKER

I thought, searchlights only make sense, if there are weapons available. without weapons, the searchlights only would tell the enemy the position of the ship. or where is my mistake?

Thanks & greetings,
h.sie
Old 05-08-10, 01:29 AM   #407
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@H.sie:

All the ships you name are lighted ships (ships that have their lights turned on deliberately). They are lighted to reveal their presence, so that U-boats understand that they are unarmed neutrals (and can easily see the ships in order to come close to check for themselves).

Thus the presence or absence of searchlights makes no difference.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 02:13 AM   #408
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

IIRC H.Sie, the searchlights actually are aimed at the flags and neutrality markings, so they are visible perfectly at night
Old 05-08-10, 04:49 AM   #409
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@Stiebler, Hitman: Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old 06-03-10, 05:05 AM   #410
Weisia
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Is there a way I can print the reg. manual?
Weisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 02:51 AM   #411
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Well I have been confirming lately something I had observed in previous campaigns played during Drumbeat; there seems to be IMHO to few shipping along the US East Coast in Dec 1941 onwards. I have been several times there during a campaign and noticed it, and wondered if it was just an impression, a bad choice of the spot to patrol, etc, but a check with the editor seems most revealing: There is not a thick traffic there as you would think. During Drumbeat it was not strange at all for a commander to be engaged in sinking a ship and suddenly another appearing around; in the current status of the campaign in NYGM this won't happen and you need several weeks of patrolling to locate one or two -many times small- ships.

Should be easy to fix, I suppose, by increasing the spawn rate. Probably the origin of the problem rootes to the time when Pentallion, Jace and Nico applied the 20/20 fix to the excessive shipping and US east coast shipping got that treatment too?
Old 06-13-10, 03:41 AM   #412
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Hitman said (of poor traffic density of east coast of USA in 1942):
Quote:
Should be easy to fix, I suppose, by increasing the spawn rate.
True, I'll do that for the next release of NYGM.

Quote:
Probably the origin of the problem rootes to the time when Pentallion, Jace and Nico applied the 20/20 fix to the excessive shipping and US east coast shipping got that treatment too?
I don't know whether that is correct, these fixes were before my time on SubSim.

Stiebler.
Old 06-14-10, 12:13 PM   #413
Dani
Helmsman

Downloads: 349

@Stiebler

Can you maybe fix the torpedo load for type IXB.
In NYGM there is only 21 torpedos, but in RL it had 22.

Last edited by Dani; 06-14-10 at 06:18 PM.
Dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 03:14 AM   #414
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Dani:
Quote:
Can you maybe fix the torpedo load for type IXB.
In NYGM there is only 21 torpedos, but in RL it had 22.
True. Yes, I can fix that.

There is a bug in the stock SH3 which sometimes causes odd screen effects when reloading six external torpedoes at once. You don't get it with the IXB, but you do with IXC, IXC/40 and IXD2. If I make the change, this bug will also appear for the IXB.

Stiebler.
Old 06-15-10, 11:03 AM   #415
Dani
Helmsman

Thanks for the fast answer.
I never had reloaded all 6 externals at once. I'm reloading only if wind is 5 m/s or less, so there is a very rare oportunity and time to take them all inside the boat. So I'm ok with the change.
Can I ask what else your plan for the next patch?
Old 07-10-10, 07:07 AM   #416
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Default NYGM3_New Released (= NYGM 3.4)

After the release of IABL's new merchant fleet, I have decided to consolidate NYGM releases to make it easier for users to try out the new ships.

Therefore all the old versions of NYGM version 3 (3.2, 3.3B, 3.3C) are now consolidated into NYGM3_New.7z, and the opening page of the mod when loaded will show version '3.4'.

A few changes requested by users in this thread have been added, including H.sie's hull damage mod (previously available only as part of Hitman's GUI package for NYGM).
Hitman's GUI package and his Mediterranean campaign files are now included as optional extras within the documentation folder of NYGM3_New, and therefore are no longer available as stand-alone items to download.

Another key change is that IABL's original merchant fleet for NYGM has been given a big overhaul. Users should download the new package (IABLShipsforNYGM_New.7z), and discard the old (iablships_nygm3_2010.7z). The old IABL package is not compatible with NYGM3_New!

The most important change to the NYGM 3_New package concerns the campaign_RND.mis file. This was originally fixed, to show definite ships in specified convoys. (The reason was to make bug-testing easier after crashes-to-desktop caused by defective ships - however, NYGM has been completely stable in this respect for a long time now.)

Now most (but not all) of the definite merchant ships have been changed to generic types. Thus convoys you encounter will contain a much more mixed selection of ships, including those imported from outside NYGM. I have made some key changes to the zones.cfg file so that NYGM is now more tolerant of ships not designed originally for NYGM.

The change to generic merchants has resulted in some other changes to convoys. Some convoys were so fast (> 12 kts) that only fast merchant ships can maintain their positions. If some of these ships can be changed to generic types, there might be ships that can make only 8 kts maximum, or 11 knots maximum, in these fast convoys, so the convoy will disintegrate. Therefore NYGM3_New now lacks any convoy that has an *average* speed faster than 9 kts.

This also makes possible the use of IABL's current MSM-Interim-Beta merchant fleet http://www.filefront.com/16730755/MFM-Interim-Beta.7z with NYGM.

However, if you do use this package, then:
a) Do NOT install NYGM existing small merchant fleet of highly tested IABL ships.
b) DO install the NYGM fix for MSM-Interim-Beta.
c) Even so, this Beta merchant fleet is NOT guaranteed to be stable with NYGM (unlike NYGM's existing IABL merchant fleet, which is guaranteed).

All these mods can now be downloaded from my signature.

Happy hunting.
Stiebler.
Old 07-11-10, 08:39 AM   #417
Dani
Helmsman

In your overlay for MSM-Interim-Beta merchant fleet ,in the cfg file for ship M01B there is no 2DCompartments entry. This is the only ship without it.
Should it be this way?
And just to be sure,if I install the MSM-Interim-Beta merchant fleet with your fix ,these ships will be in convoys?

And thanx for the new NYGM

Last edited by Dani; 07-11-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-11-10, 02:17 PM   #418
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Dani:
Quote:
In your overlay for MSM-Interim-Beta merchant fleet ,in the cfg file for ship M01B there is no 2DCompartments entry. This is the only ship without it.
Should it be this way?
Well spotted. I had not noticed that error.

The original .cfg file for the M01B in the MSM-Interim-Beta mod, from which the NYGM overlay was created, also lacks the 2DCompartments entry.

It will be necessary to seek advice from IABL about how to fix this missing information. I shall make a post in his merchant shop sticky thread.

EDIT: In the meantime, copy and paste the M01A 2DCompartments into the M01B eqp file. From previous examples of IABL's ships, this should be correct.

Quote:
And just to be sure,if I install the MSM-Interim-Beta merchant fleet with your fix ,these ships will be in convoys?
Yes, these ships will be in convoys.

Stiebler.

Last edited by Stiebler; 07-11-10 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 03:01 AM   #419
Corsair
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 51

Thks for update, Stiebler. Downloading and installing right away. I am currently on stand by in Lorient awaiting new patrol orders, just the right time to install new files...

NYGM 3.4A / Living SH3 V5.1 + SH3 Commander
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 05:25 PM   #420
Wolf52
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

I'm encountering a strange problem with my IXB right now. I have 3.4 installed, and this patrol (my 3rd with this boat) I am having major depth keeping problems. I just attacked a convoy off of Gibraltar on the atlantic side, and after I attacked (and sunk) three ships i proceeded to go ahead flank down to the limit of the yellow region on my depth gauge. Normally, i can just hit silent running once i level off and i can stay there for as long as i want. However, this time I just kept on dropping like a stone. I fed the order through again to a higher depth, but i still kept slipping. Only when i make 5 knots or faster can i keep depth or make progress towards the surface. I cant really figure out why this would suddenly happen, the only thing ive done differently this patrol is dock and refuel at one of the u boat tenders at a spanish port. Any ideas?
Wolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torpedos through hull