SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-23, 09:08 AM   #5746
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0

Zinmar,

Welcome to the wonderful world of SH4, sometimes it can be a 'bear' to get a handle on. I remember my times of trying to subdue the 'beast. Allow me to put in my two cents worth.

Quote:
When I deactivate the mod and fire up SH4 the game runs fine, goes into the missions, can sail around and sink ships (even shot down an aircraft once). So I'm honestly at a loss.
The Save folder MUST be deleted. That defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but if you use MultiSH4, it would be whatever you named it there.
Be sure that LAA has been enabled properly. Run LAA a 2nd time, and add the SH4.exe file in again. If it does not say "True", then be sure and check the attributes of the SH4.exe file, to ensure that the "Read-only" tick box is empty, and then try to apply LAA to it again.

Just a couple of things that come to mind after you run the Vanilla game and FotRSU mod needs the extra horsepower to run.

Good luck,
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 09:30 AM   #5747
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinmar View Post
I followed the installation directions as written but have run into a problem. The game starts up, I can chose the Cpt's name and get to the screen where you then load out the boat and crew prior to heading out on the mission.

When I click proceed to head into the mission the game freezes in the black screen. I set up this mod to be activated with JSGME and it's currently the only mod in the folder.

When I deactivate the mod and fire up SH4 the game runs fine, goes into the missions, can sail around and sink ships (even shot down an aircraft once). So I'm honestly at a loss.

I have the program running as admin, in compatibility with Windows 7 as well. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing but I've got no idea what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid97 View Post
... Also, you have the large address thing applied as well, correct? Or at least the SH4 program that increases the memory usage from 2 to 4 MB (LAA I think?). Also, a good amount of RAM as well I would guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
... The Save folder MUST be deleted. That defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but if you use MultiSH4, it would be whatever you named it there.

Be sure that LAA has been enabled properly. Run LAA a 2nd time, and add the SH4.exe file in again. If it does not say "True", then be sure and check the attributes of the SH4.exe file, to ensure that the "Read-only" tick box is empty, and then try to apply LAA to it again...
Ditto to the two replies above. especially in light of if the stock game running fine after removing the mod - and just to re-iterate and emphasize what Larrywb57 said as far as the Save folder goes: You could use MultiSH4 and create a new 3-character Save folder name for FotRSU, but if you don't do that, you need to empty the folder prior to playing the FotRSU modded game. Similarly if you de-activate the mod and go back to Stock, or some other mod - you will have to empty the Save folder again. The v1.8 patch is generally not needed, but does fix several oversights from when building v1.8 of the mod.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 10:06 AM   #5748
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276

Thanks for the replies back. I know it'll work as I've seen that others are running with Win 11 and the 4090 video. Just figuring out where I'm screwing up.
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-23, 03:18 PM   #5749
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276

Does this mod remove the U-boat side of the game?
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-23, 04:12 PM   #5750
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinmar View Post
Does this mod remove the U-boat side of the game?
no, it does not.
if you play the uboat side of FOTRSU, expect it to play like uboats in Stock v1.5.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 06:36 AM   #5751
Alexsandr7822
Nub

Downloads: 94
Default Перевод Fall of Rising Sun 1.8

Hello everyone! Greetings, developer! Wrote on the forum earlier that, do a translation on your modification for Russian-speaking players. Tell me could you share information about which files were changed in version 1.8. I am more interested in files for translation. Such as :
PatrolObjectives, SubmarineSchool, Menu, UPCLocalization.

Best regards, Corasar Andy.

Моя страница на ютуб канале:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpY...hXYFnRREWD7itA
Alexsandr7822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 07:49 AM   #5752
propbeanie

We no longer attempt to track individual file changes in the mod. The team is not only very small, but has lives centered on more important things than SH4 and FotRSU. Time for modding is at a premium lately, and progress is ~slow~... The easiest thing to do to update your current translation, is to use WinMerge and run a comparison between the version of the game you previously translated, and the v1.8 version, using the install folders of each full install. Not all of the files in the PatrolObjectives folders are used, but most of them are. You of course, are looking for *.tsr and *.upc files, as well as *.txt in the Campaign, as well as Menu folders. Don't forget about the DynamicMiss folder tsr files for when you use Contact Reports. If you want / desire to do so, forward us a link of your translation, and we can post and share with the rest of SubSim members that want Russian for the next version. This applies to anyone wanting German, or French or whatever language. We can put your names up "in lights" in the Data \Menu \Credits.txt file for posterity. Do a translation of the Campaign folder and sub-folders *.tsr files, as well as those in SingleMissions, SinglePatrols, and Submarine School folders. There is also a "UPCLocalization.tsr" file in a same-named folder under the Data \UPCData folder, and a messages.txt file in the Campaign folder, as well as menu.txt under the Menu folder. It would be a major undertaking to translate the Campaign_LOC and Campaign_NMS cfg files (NMS is graphics files), which display names on the NavMap...

Old 12-17-23, 10:17 AM   #5753
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandr7822 View Post
Hello everyone! Greetings, developer! Wrote on the forum earlier that, do a translation on your modification for Russian-speaking players. Tell me could you share information about which files were changed in version 1.8. I am more interested in files for translation. Such as :
PatrolObjectives, SubmarineSchool, Menu, UPCLocalization.

Best regards, Corasar Andy.

Моя страница на ютуб канале:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpY...hXYFnRREWD7itA
The KSD II guys should be your friends... I highly recommend this forum, say hello to Commander Brad....

https://brat01.mybb.rocks/

Газы КСД И должны быть вашими друзьями... Я очень рекомендую этот форум и передаю привет командиру Бреду.... от Кал Максимус У669 uais:
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 07:25 AM   #5754
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Downloads: 743

Привет. Хочу сделать гидролокатор для поиска мин. Понимаю что в рамках игры это не удасться. Но, сделать прибор позволяющих их обнаруживать, я это сделал. И если я правильно понимаю историю, появился он на лодках в июле 1944 года. Я прошу совета либо помощи. Возможно ли что-то в модели мины прикрепить, что реагировало бы на импульс сонара? Пеленг на мину я нашел как отобразить. Осталось решить вопрос с дальностью обнаружения мин. Если есть желание, помогите!
---------------------------------------------------
Hi. I want to make a sonar to search for mines. I understand that this will not work out within the framework of the game. But, to make a device that allows them to be detected, I did it. And if I understand history correctly, he appeared on boats in July 1944. I ask for advice or help. Is it possible to attach something in the mine model that would react to the sonar impulse? Bearing on a mine I found how to display. It remains to resolve the issue with the detection range of mines. If there is a desire, help!

LUKNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 04:23 PM   #5755
propbeanie

There have been a couple of older attempts to attach sound to the mines. TheDarkWraith (TDW), aka: Racerboy, publicly attempted it most recently, and eventually gave up on the idea. That was years ago. The problem with the approach is that it would have each mine emitting sonar sound, which is a bit much for the computer, AND for the player to handle. Imagine those things - hundreds of them in a minefield - making their sound constantly, and "hearable" out to 40km or more... not good. I had an idea to have one mine, not part of a regular minefield, be the sound emitter, and then placed near the minefields, but trying to limit that to only the FM device being capable of picking them up would be a bit difficult... It would be nice to know if the original devs had any idea of how they were going to implement the FM sonar, because there is a skeleton for that in the game already... alas, no documentation of such.

Old 12-22-23, 07:02 PM   #5756
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

'..FM sonar, a short range device which was used for detecting submerged mines or other obstacles.
The ear-piercing "gong" it gave out led the crew to derisively call it "Hell's Bells". Nevertheless FM was highly successful.
This was exemplified by Bowfin's ninth and final war patrol which lasted from May 24 to July 4, 1945. During that patrol, Bowfin was serving in a nine boat wolfpack whose mission was to attack shipping through the Sea of Japan, known to submariners as "The Emperor's Wading Pool". However getting there required the wolfpack to steam through the Tsushima Strait between Japan and Korea. Laced with mines, the strait was thought to be impregnable. Thanks to FM Sonar, Bowfin got through the strait but it was quite a hair-raising transit. At one point a mine's anchor cable scraped along her hull. '
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 10:14 PM   #5757
LUKNER
Torpedoman

20 лет назад я прочитал книгу Локвуда "Морские дьяволы", и лет 10 пытаюсь в модах Силент Хантера воспроизвести нечто подобное в части поиска и обнаружения мин. Безрезультатно. Сейчас я решение обнаружение мин с помощью звука я подобрал. Не исторично конечно, но играбельно. Дальность обнаружения мин у меня пока не более 10 миль.
-------------------------------------------
20 years ago I read Lockwood's book "Sea Devils," and for 10 years I am trying to reproduce something similar in Silent Hunter's mods in terms of finding and detecting mines. To no avail. Now I have picked up the decision to detect mines using sound. Not historical of course, but playable. I have a mine detection range of no more than 10 miles.
Old 12-23-23, 04:13 AM   #5758
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKNER View Post
20 лет назад я прочитал книгу Локвуда "Морские дьяволы", и лет 10 пытаюсь в модах Силент Хантера воспроизвести нечто подобное в части поиска и обнаружения мин. Безрезультатно. Сейчас я решение обнаружение мин с помощью звука я подобрал. Не исторично конечно, но играбельно. Дальность обнаружения мин у меня пока не более 10 миль.
-------------------------------------------
20 years ago I read Lockwood's book "Sea Devils," and for 10 years I am trying to reproduce something similar in Silent Hunter's mods in terms of finding and detecting mines. To no avail. Now I have picked up the decision to detect mines using sound. Not historical of course, but playable. I have a mine detection range of no more than 10 miles.
does it work? will it be available as a mod?
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-23, 07:34 AM   #5759
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Merry Christmas to all

Front Runner still here. Still enjoying SH4 FOTRSU.

Wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-23, 02:44 AM   #5760
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
does it work? will it be available as a mod?

Yes, it works. And very successfully, on mine search and detection missions, in the Okinawa area or the Korean Strait. In fashion Silent Service 2.3.
----------------

Да, это работает. И очень успешно, в миссиях по поиску и обнаружению мин, в районе Окинавы или Корейского пролива. В моде Силент Сервис 2.3.