Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-20, 07:00 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Video emerges of Minneapolis police killing a citizen - - Riots

4 Minneapolis police officers have been fired after video emerged of the 4 responding to a police call and killing an already restrained man. Riots and protests have been ongoing for the last 2 days in the Minneapolis and Los Angeles area .

Murder charges are expected to be filed in the coming days against these 4 officers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...story-n1215691

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 07:16 AM   #2
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Saw the above video on TV; the local Los Angeles stations have been showing other videos of the same incident taken by surveillance and security cameras in the area; from what I've seen, and heard, in those videos, those officers were way, way out of line and control...

BTW, there have been no riots over the killing here in LA like the ones in Minneapolis; the worst here was a brief blocking of a main freeway through the downtown area by about a hundred or so people and the worse damage was broken windows on a Highway Patrol cruiser that arrived at the scene; some of the protesters, a much smaller group, later showed up at the LAPD headquarters building and, again, briefly blocked part of the street in front of the HQ; LAPD broke up the demonstration with very little problem; in both cases, any possible impact of the demonstrations was muted due to the lockdown in place; its hard to really make a point of blocking a freeway or street when there is almost no traffic to speak of...

I was here in 1992 when the riots broke out then and our area was one of the hardest hit; believe me, what happened last night wasn't by any stretch of the term a riot; I've seen worse violence at a rock concert...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 05-29-20 at 07:26 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 08:13 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

It did seem excessive. The man was handcuffed and laying on the ground. If anything needs to be knelt on, I would think that his legs would be a higher priority
Old 05-28-20, 08:47 AM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Good grief, you think a cop with any intelligence at all would know better than to kill someone this way.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 10:04 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Good grief, you think a cop with any intelligence at all would know better than to kill someone this way.
Apparently not

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 11:13 AM   #6
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

In an essay published in the Wall Street Journal, Radley Balko, author of “Rise of the Warrior Cop” presents chilling and convincing evidence of the blurring of the line between cop and soldier:
Driven by martial rhetoric and the availability of military-style equipment — from bayonets and M-16 rifles to armored personnel carriers — American police forces have often adopted a mind-set previously reserved for the battlefield. The war on drugs and, more recently, post-9/11 antiterrorism efforts have created a new figure on the U.S. scene: the warrior cop — armed to the teeth, ready to deal harshly with targeted wrongdoers, and a growing threat to familiar American liberties.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 12:35 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

I would like to see a reversal of the militarization of our police forces.
Old 06-10-20, 08:38 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Perhaps intelligence had everything to do with it imho. Having seen the video, been trained an used restraint methods myself, doing a carotid artery restraint over a trivial bad $20 dollar bill beef for 8 minutes on a handcuffed man makes no sense on its face alone. The fact that officer Chauvin worked an off duty gig for 17 years at a club where Floyd worked four years, speaks volumes. No officer doesn't know his crew and their backup talents threat assessmentwise in case of serious altercations where alcohol is a factor. I've been there and done this from New Years eve bar festivities to large flea markets and know who to count on...Clearly officer Chauvin would have noticed all members of his security crew especially as distinctive as Mr. Floyd. Ergo, he killed someone he actually knew, ignoring pleas for mercy. Mr Chauvin, currently being divorced, and owning another residence in Florida obviously has a high overhead on his officer's salary. A sure bet: Ms Chauvin won't be collecting on his pension! By two autopsies, Mr Floyd had drugs in his system when he passed. Drugs and clubs...not real stretch The relationship between the two co-employees needs thorough scrutiny; murder two might not be the correct charge after all...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 05:55 AM   #9
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260

When I was working, (I'm retired now) I have worked with lots of different people white and black.

A lot of the white people were OK, but there was obviously the some real A$$ holes who I wouldn't trust one bit.
Worked with some black people, again a lot were OK but just like the whites there was the odd A$$ hole, I also know of 3 that used the race card at work to their advantage.
My point is there is good and bad in all walks of life.

As for the forged bill that George Floyd had, I'm sure I read somewhere it turned out it wasn't forged but that could be wrong I don't know.
I also read that Chauvin worked inside the club but got lots of complaints so he was moved outside and Floyd remained inside and pi$$ed Chauvin off, but again that also could be wrong, so many things being said it is hard to tell what is true.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 08:44 AM   #10
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
What if the actual problem is the leftist educational system creating a generation of little entitled sociopaths who have also been taught to hate the USA?
Mrs. Clinton did popularize the proverb "It takes a village to raise a child". However you're making the issue more complicated than it needs to be.

In a nutshell, you have police on one side, criminals on the other, and regular citizens caught in the middle. When police begin treating the majority of the public as "potential criminals" then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 06:31 AM   #11
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

I don't know, Jim.

I'm fairly sure there were plenty of people at the time who considered slavery to be wrong "in the context of the time".

In fact we know there were.

This guy bought and sold them.

Doesn't say that on his statue, though.

I wonder why.
Old 06-10-20, 06:58 AM   #12
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
I don't know, Jim.

I'm fairly sure there were plenty of people at the time who considered slavery to be wrong "in the context of the time".

In fact we know there were.

This guy bought and sold them.

Doesn't say that on his statue, though.

I wonder why.
Yeah, they should at least put on the statue that he sold slaves. It’s pretty revisionist not to.
Old 06-10-20, 07:07 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

The point I'm trying to make is there was right and wrong on both sides back in the day and to put it as simplistically as black versus white today is not fully correct.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 09:42 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The point I'm trying to make is there was right and wrong on both sides back in the day and to put it as simplistically as black versus white today is not fully correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
I have read that some of these protestors now want to remove Nelson from his column because at one point he was known to have supported the slave trade.Well of course he did because in 17th and 18th Century Britain it was rare to find someone - regardless of class who did not. So stop trying to eradicate a history simply because it does not follow our current moral view point. We have a history where lessons can be learned from a history that we can both dislike and be proud of but do not let us destroy it or try to eradicate it.
Are we talkin' 'bout slaves for sugar for rum ""triangular trade" here BBY?!! THey'll have to remove George Washington for distilling whiskey at Mt Vernon with his less-than-hired help first 'still' made today: https://www.mountvernon.org/the-estate-gardens/distillery/ As for tearing down George's monuments and his picture from the World's almighty dollar bill in the name of political coreectness: ...we'll let God handle that chore!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-10-20 at 11:04 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 10:59 AM   #15
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

-Abraham Lincoln

what about this guy? that speech seems pretty racist by today's standards.

Tags
police, riots