SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-17, 11:35 AM   #4006
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSnow View Post
I've located the files for my sonar mod and Campaign_RND. Looking at them I realized I never finished the campaign and stopped at the end of 44. If my skippers live that long, they retire --not much left to do/sink as 45 rolls on. It'd be easy to finish that up though.

My mission editor isn't working atm and I'm not sure what's going on there. Are you all using the stock editor in SH4 directory? I want to be on the same page as much as possible.

If someone wants to PM me a link to upload these files I can do it this weekend. I'll also include a couple test missions with the sonar mod that are simple setups.

Cheers!
Are you just getting a black screen on the world map area when you open the ME or what is exactly happening? I'm able to make use of the ME in the .54 release. One quick question, are you using the LAA utility included in the Beta release?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 12:46 PM   #4007
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0
Default radar range

Does the radar always default to its lowest range? When ever entering the radar operator station it seems to be at its lowest option. Is there an advantage to that? Can it be made to default to its greatest distance?
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 12:57 PM   #4008
JoeSnow
Watch

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Are you just getting a black screen on the world map area when you open the ME or what is exactly happening? I'm able to make use of the ME in the .54 release. One quick question, are you using the LAA utility included in the Beta release?
Actually, I'm getting a White screen in the map area. Units and such show up in the right windows but I can't get the map to pull up. I haven't installed fotrs yet as I'm going to download RR's "Uncorruptable Silent Hunter 4 Multi-Installation for the Incorrigible" program and start over with my install. Just added another SSD to my system so I might as well start filling it up!

The system I'm running SH4 on has Windows 7 Pro with only 4 GB RAM so I don't "think" I would need the LAA... I will begin using fotrs after I get done with the busy work and then check the ME again.

Thanks!

Edit: Just did a little digging and it looks like I should install LAA. I'll get 'er done.

Last edited by JoeSnow; 03-03-17 at 01:21 PM.
JoeSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 01:35 PM   #4009
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Actually, I'm getting a White screen in the map area. Units and such show up in the right windows but I can't get the map to pull up. I haven't installed fotrs yet as I'm going to download RR's "Uncorruptable Silent Hunter 4 Multi-Installation for the Incorrigible" program and start over with my install. Just added another SSD to my system so I might as well start filling it up!

The system I'm running SH4 on has Windows 7 Pro with only 4 GB RAM so I don't "think" I would need the LAA... I will begin using fotrs after I get done with the busy work and then check the ME again.

Thanks!

Edit: Just did a little digging and it looks like I should install LAA. I'll get 'er done.
Good luck. We're always here if a question comes up.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 01:54 PM   #4010
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Thanks!

What we've discovered is that you want to have the mod that you'll be using before you run the Mission Editor. When you run the Mission Editor, look at the Windows Task Bar, and see if you don't have a 2nd listing for the Mission Editor, which would be an error message, usually along the lines of "... vessel type PL_ConteVerde could not be found". The ME will hang there waiting for you to "OK" the message. Usually speaking, if you have a white screen, but no error message showing, you have a small conflict in your file(s), and need to use a text editor first to bring it into line with the mod. Usually speaking, it's a ship call, such as a Minekaze in stock is DD Type=4, and in FotRSU is a DE Type=3. Not a big issue, but will keep the ME from running. If you black screen, you've got a "stronger" conflict, probably multiple ships calls and/or MapZone issues and/or Trigger issues, etc.

Basically speaking, if you're going to mod something for FotRSU, you want to have it installed and fully activated, and use the Mission Editor is that particular install folder. If you're going to do something for a GFO mod, you have to have GFO activated, and use the Mission Editor in that folder. If you're going to do Stock, be running Stock. Else you stand a chance of getting a white or black screen upon start-up... Another thing about the Mission Editor is the fact that no matter how many installs of Silent Hunter you have, and no matter which folder you run the ME from, it will always pull in the same folder that you last worked in. We also can't forget to mention that when using the ME, if there are certain lines in the file that are not of a "default" setting, then the ME will change them to be in compliance with "default". This especially applies to stuff that you edit in a text editor. As an example, read lurker_hlb3's ReadMe for Run Silent Run Deep the Campaign... Have fun with it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 02:01 PM   #4011
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
There is a command Ctrl-V which gives range to nearest visible target. Well, that's what I use on my laptop keyboard but I think it is in TMO.
The latest FOTRS Ultimate SH4_Q-Ref_Cards (with the next Beta release) allow the Watch Officer to give you the "Nearest Visual Contact Bearing and Range" to target by striking the "V" key:

You can also use the Command Buttons to get the same info:

The other key change has to do with the SD & SJ Radar toggling "ON/OFF.

==============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450
Does the radar always default to its lowest range? When ever entering the radar operator station it seems to be at its lowest option. Is there an advantage to that? Can it be made to default to its greatest distance?
As you've noticed, the SJ radar units (both A-Scope and the PPI) defaults to having them turned OFF when you manually go to them too. Even though their "ON" for your Radio/Radarman to use and report on their contacts. The units have to be turned "ON" every time, plus the default setting is to not sweep until you tell it to. These issues are hard coded in-game, in other words we can't do a thing about it. Believe me, if we could we would have done it by now.

=============

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
Is there any way you can either give the user the option to limit TC, whether by eliminating the artificial max of 2048x
For those that are concerned about this, chances are you know how to change the Time Compression back to what you want anyway. So, have at it.

Lowering the maximum TC for game play in FOTRS Ultimate is to keep this heavily modeled modified game from causing issues with the lag time it takes to return to zero TC from the time a detected threat occurs. It's simply an attempt to keep you from ending up in the middle of a slowly rendered/highly modeled convoy due to the lag time it takes for the TC to drop to zero.

I don't know of anyone that hasn't encountered the slow/sluggish response of just trying to change the Time Compression speed once it gets above a certain point. That lack of response is the "Lag Time" I'm talking about. Keeping your TC at a lower level will improve game play and help in keeping unwanted issues like running aground or ending up in the middle of a warship task force.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 03:07 PM   #4012
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

Thank you for the quick reply CapnScurvy!
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 04:00 PM   #4013
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
For those that are concerned about this, chances are you know how to change the Time Compression back to what you want anyway. So, have at it.

Lowering the maximum TC for game play in FOTRS Ultimate is to keep this heavily modeled modified game from causing issues with the lag time it takes to return to zero TC from the time a detected threat occurs. It's simply an attempt to keep you from ending up in the middle of a slowly rendered/highly modeled convoy due to the lag time it takes for the TC to drop to zero.

I don't know of anyone that hasn't encountered the slow/sluggish response of just trying to change the Time Compression speed once it gets above a certain point. That lack of response is the "Lag Time" I'm talking about. Keeping your TC at a lower level will improve game play and help in keeping unwanted issues like running aground or ending up in the middle of a warship task force.
I find this attitude as well as edition of CapnScurvy correct and appropriate, this he has not set for no reason so.
The old SH engine simply leaves no room if you want to play such a large modification error-free.

I myself only let a TC of 1024 run with my compilation, this excludes as far as possible errors.

I do not know ... to meet a flying destroyer is certainly not nice.
You can not torpedo him - but he'll throw you with water bombs.
Not a very pleasant performance.

And this is still the most harmless consequence.

Greetings Ralle
Old 03-03-17, 04:09 PM   #4014
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

A surface radar question for CapnScurvy.

Its 5th August 1942 and I've been offered the SJ-I improved radar, that's great but I expected the other surface radar first, is this the new way of doing things or is it a little bug that's crept into the mod.?
I'm in a Gar if that makes a difference to anything.
Old 03-03-17, 07:52 PM   #4015
JoeSnow
Watch

Downloads: 5

Running my 1st patrol in a S-Boat out of Brisbane, June 42 start date. Planes are properly annoying. More than there were in RFB and that's ok.

Got bombed by one pretty close and it caused a graphics glitch that only affected my crew. It's like they lose their textures and parts of them turn black. It happened once in RFB as well so I'd have to say it's my system. Graphics AMD HD 6800. If anyone has a fix for that I'd be pleased to know as it makes them uglier than usual.

Shipping reports and a couple map contacts report Neutral convoys. There was no such thing. Anything sailing in convoy was a legitimate target even with Prize Rules. Not a biggie for now and I'll look around at that later.

I'm running latest release stock for now. I don't like to add salt before tasting the food! I did look at sensors.dat and like the 2200 yard range for sonar. I think stock was 1200 which was stupid.

I do find some of the crew sounds to be a bit over-the-top. They sure are an excitable bunch LOL! That's a quote to me from a subvet in reference to Das Boot by the way. Again--not a biggie--just my take.
JoeSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 08:05 PM   #4016
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
What's needed is a takeaway mod propbeanie, I've just finished my 4th patrol with the 0.54 version and 3 of them were either stick an agent on the Japanese mainland or insert some soldiers on the Japanese mainland.

Some of the members might like these kind of missions but I'm not one of them, a mod to reduce these to 1 every 2 years would be a good idea me thinks.

Edit, what would be really useful is a Uzo button on the Deck gun menu group so you can get range to target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We could probably edit those specops missions to fall within a smaller time period for each one, and that should reduce their occurance, but that will be for a later version. 54 should be on the stove, not to a simmer yet, in fact, all the ingredients probably aren't in... Let me try to run through all of those Insert missions real quick and close that up... We might even cut them further back, and then do a mod later for the die-hard SpecOps enthusiast...

I don't know about doing a range-finder on the gun. Way beyond my skill level. As I'm coming up, I lock the periscope on the target and let the crew do the dirty work and get wet with the ocean spray... or, if I do some fun-time myself, I try to remember to look at the range in the periscope or TBT prior to going to the gun. I usually forget, and have to go back again, which is why I usually leave it to the crew. 'Course I use the deck gun very seldom anyway...
Well, I wasn't fast enough Moonlight, but we'll shoot for the next version. CapnScurvy is entirely too efficient and proficient. He even did half of my "work" for me... I'm not sure if RR is going to call this v54 or 55 yet, but we'll get the SpecOps into the one after that. I'm not sure how far I will get with it, but I do have the dates changed to where you don't have the whole gamut of missions available at the same time, but only a percentage of them. We might even cut them further back still, and then just do an add-on mod for the SpecOps enthusiast...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 08:51 PM   #4017
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

FOTRSUv0.55 is up in Area 51. After 24 hours of team testing we'll go public with it because there's just too much good stuff in there to keep from all of you!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 09:11 PM   #4018
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
A surface radar question for CapnScurvy.

Its 5th August 1942 and I've been offered the SJ-I improved radar, that's great but I expected the other surface radar first, is this the new way of doing things or is it a little bug that's crept into the mod.?
I'm in a Gar if that makes a difference to anything.
What version of FOTRS Ultimate are you using?

With the corrections I've incorporated, the basic SJ (Surface Search) comes into play for all boats June 1, 1942. There is no Surface Search radar before this date. The SJ-1 Improved radar unit is put on all boats, at no cost, as of June 1, 1943. However, starting on August 1, 1942 you can purchase the SJ-1 radar for 500 Renown...upgrading the basic SJ that should be "On Boat" as of that Aug. 1 date. The Renown price will drop to 200 for the SJ-1 on December 25, 1942 and will remain that cost until the June 1, 1943 date.

The SD (Air Search) is on all boats at the start of war. The SD Improved is offered March 12, 1942. The SV with a newer style rotating antenna and greater maximum range comes into play January 1, 1944. The SD Improved will be offered the same way as the SJ. With early "offered" purchase costing more Renown than later dates. So to will be the SV.

The offer to purchase the next upgrade will always come before the actual date the equipment is put on the boat for free. The idea is to offer you the choice to upgrade or not......its your choice.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-03-17, 09:16 PM   #4019
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
FOTRSUv0.55 is up in Area 51. After 24 hours of team testing we'll go public with it because there's just too much good stuff in there to keep from all of you!
I''ll download and get back to you

Quote:
Old 03-03-17, 11:10 PM   #4020
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

Thank you for the response on the Lifeguard Duty Missions cant wait.