SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-20, 10:50 AM   #1321
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Added another bad model with the same error to my post above. It is merely a gun sight on a 7mm AA gun but the fewer excuses we can give it for crashes the better!
Thanks - noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
I have only changed

ReportPosMin=xxxx
ReportPosProbability=xx
SpawnProbability=xxx

But of course I didn't change everything, only those values in range from probability 5-90, and not values with a combo of -1 and prob=100 which clearly means those groups must spawn in all cases. Also I didn't touch the xxx_subhunter files for the same reason.
An exhaustive list of the changes is in the link below (or here above, I didn't left anything out.)

For me the mod plays very well now, give it a try

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5621

Cheers,
XS
We'll be attempting to check things out in a few days, but are in the middle of attempting to track down all propeller sound issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Whoever thought up that bright idea of putting 2 medium coastal bunkers near the Ishinomaki agent insertion mission has got a bleeding screw loose.

We're going back to Midway as half the equipment on our sub is beyond repair, thank you for that you bloody dolls head.

This is the first time I've ever headed back to base without sighting a single ship.
Well... That would be one that was already there, plus, ComSubPac must have gotten bad intel, or the defenders found a leak in US intel... ?? I have driven all the way to Tsugari Straits, gotten over half of the way through on the surface at night, no moon, light rain, and been hit in the conn on the 2nd shot from a shore installation, unable to then dive, had to turn tail and head for Midway also, and avoid ALL contact - which ain't easy to do when on the surface... I did not make it, btw... Unfortunately, there is no way to segregate the conn from the sub in SH4 like that... and a dive did do me in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcrutch12 View Post
Quick update, I do have my save file still, although I've started a new game. I would be pretty interested to try the fixes to see if I could get it going again, but I also wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm grateful for everything ya'll have put into this and fixing my issue. When I said I didn't know if it was applied I meant the patch, I've definitely been running FOTRSU since I fired back up.

Sorry for my sporadic replies and my lack of quotes, I'm in LE and I work nights so when my work schedule hits, it hits hard.

Lacking the quotes, I hope all the pertinent people see this. Thank you all, I'm having more fun that I can express.
I'll see if KaleunMarco can help you out. I am curious myself also, as to whether an error such as you encountered can be repaired or recovered from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
2/1/45, departing from Pearl for Tench's second patrol (this one to Hokkaido), the ST radar is functioning as per sighting reports, but appears to be nonoperational otherwise. The screens are dark and will not turn on and there is no external indication of the radar functioning or even that it's there on the observation periscope. A nighttime test off Pearl does not display non-sonar targets until within visual range. A ship at 11.6 km registers only on sonar, despite multiple togglings.

I went back to the "entering port" autosave and restarted the patrol in order to retain the SJ-1. The issues below stem from this:

This is probably a game engine issue but fired two torps at a LEO: one impacted normally; the second exploded prematurely (against settings) somewhat off-course. When I went to the periscope screen to fire a third torpedo, tube #1 was reloading and #2 was already fully reloaded, despite only a couple of minutes having passed and torpedo reload being set to realistic.

Also a large ship spawned on the eastern docks at Aomori, materializing inside the dock itself and exploding.
Rats... I wonder if the original early assignment is still messing things up through the Save data now, or what... I can take a Tench out after Jan 10 1945 and they are fine. This upgrade garbage is, well... garbage. I'll dig further into that. It could be that it has everything messed-up in your game... As for the dock at Aomori (speaking of Tsugari Straits), I'll take a gander over there, but that sounds like one of the seven locations with old Jap_HarborTraffic file calls, and not the separate ways of doing the new layers...

Edit: OK, Aomori had a ship spawning very near a spit of land, so that has been moved for the next version. All else looks OK.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-16-20 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Aomori
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 11:09 AM   #1322
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Convoy College area, Dec 1944, heavy fog, medium precip, upgraded to a newly constructed Tench:

Encountered a H/K TF at close range, just in time to dive deep to safety. Radar was operating and there was nothing unusual about the watch.

Several days later, encountered the same TF in identical conditions. Radar first indicated a large group at long range, then flashed the TF at close range. Again, just time to dive deep.

Both times the TF had the drop on us, despite using the standard SJ-1. We were running for home at TC of 3-4k in anticipation of the two-week slog back. Never experienced this behavior prior.

EDITED TO ADD: Presumably the nonfunctioning ST radar is a known issue for the latest release? I think Marco mentioned it for the previous version, but didn't find anything for the new one on a Q&D search.
that is Affirmative on the ST-radar.
i no longer upgrade to ST-radar.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 11:22 AM   #1323
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcrutch12 View Post
Quick update, I do have my save file still, although I've started a new game. I would be pretty interested to try the fixes to see if I could get it going again, but I also wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm grateful for everything ya'll have put into this and fixing my issue. When I said I didn't know if it was applied I meant the patch, I've definitely been running FOTRSU since I fired back up.

Sorry for my sporadic replies and my lack of quotes, I'm in LE and I work nights so when my work schedule hits, it hits hard.

Lacking the quotes, I hope all the pertinent people see this. Thank you all, I'm having more fun that I can express.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
that is Affirmative on the ST-radar.
i no longer upgrade to ST-radar.
Did you see dbcrutch12's post?

Old 06-16-20, 02:11 PM   #1324
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Whoever thought up that bright idea of putting 2 medium coastal bunkers near the Ishinomaki agent insertion mission has got a bleeding screw loose.

We're going back to Midway as half the equipment on our sub is beyond repair, thank you for that you bloody dolls head.

This is the first time I've ever headed back to base without sighting a single ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well... That would be one that was already there, plus, ComSubPac must have gotten bad intel, or the defenders found a leak in US intel... ?? I have driven all the way to Tsugari Straits, gotten over half of the way through on the surface at night, no moon, light rain, and been hit in the conn on the 2nd shot from a shore installation, unable to then dive, had to turn tail and head for Midway also, and avoid ALL contact - which ain't easy to do when on the surface... I did not make it, btw... Unfortunately, there is no way to segregate the conn from the sub in SH4 like that... and a dive did do me in...
There is an easy solution to those 2 medium coastal bunkers near Ishinomaki and that is to remove them from the game, see, even I didn't need a brainwave to come up with that fix, jot it down Mr beanie and put them on the emergency extermination list.
Old 06-16-20, 03:16 PM   #1325
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Did you see dbcrutch12's post?
i have reviewed a number of them but i am missing his essential question(s).

@dbcrutch12 - i am more than happy to help resolve your issue(s) if you would recap them for me here. my apologies for making you repeat yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 05:21 PM   #1326
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Rats... I wonder if the original early assignment is still messing things up through the Save data now, or what... I can take a Tench out after Jan 10 1945 and they are fine. This upgrade garbage is, well... garbage. I'll dig further into that. It could be that it has everything messed-up in your game... .
I think I'll test that by deleting the Tench save files back to the last Archerfish before the upgrade and try extending the patrol to delay the upgrade until 1945.

If that's not possible, are we given a second shot at new construction if the first is declined?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:53 PM   #1327
propbeanie

Quote:
There is an easy solution to those 2 medium coastal bunkers near Ishinomaki and that is to remove them from the game, see, even I didn't need a brainwave to come up with that fix, jot it down Mr beanie and put them on the emergency extermination list.
Removing the guns is not gonna do it right... Those are coastal defense guns, and we have to receive word from His Excellency The Emperor himself before we may proceed. However, this is a good time to make a point about reporting what are perceived to be issues, 'cause this is a humdinger...

Here we are, looking at the mission map by its lonesome

Seems innocent enough, but if I merge the LOC file, we can begin to see that there might be trouble brewing:

Two major ports in the bay, which is sort of like a portion of the Inland Sea. So, if I lay the HarborTraffic over the top of that, and then add-in the shore guns, what would we see?:

why, a death-trap, of course... Would the ComSubPac send someone into there? I think not, at least, not unless they had a plan...
So we might have a mention in the orders that it is "recommended that you approach from the north and east to avoid the shore defenses" or some-such... So just removing the two guns might help a little teeny tiny bit, but only in the immediate area. That looks to be more strongly defended than Tokyo Bay itself!... So here's what we're gonna do:

We'll move the LZ to the other side of the peninsula. Let the agent hoof it in closer if he needs to. We will not put a boat at risk...

But keep them reports a-coming. This is the kind of stuff we can fix. If it was on an island with the defenses in a state of constant flux, and only the two guns, I'd be tempted to leave it alone, maybe move the guns a little, but in this case, it is better to move the landing zone. This mission almost looked like someone enjoys setting skippers up...

Quote:
I think I'll test that by deleting the Tench save files back to the last Archerfish before the upgrade and try extending the patrol to delay the upgrade until 1945.

If that's not possible, are we given a second shot at new construction if the first is declined?
Depending upon your renown score (unknown trip values), it might be the very next time, or it might be two or three, generally three patrols later. I was offered one after a particular shtinky patrol, but still had enough points to be re-offered the upgrade. What I would do though, is to make a copy of the Save folder and store it somewhere safe, just-n-case. I always mess things up when I go to noodling with the Saves... sigh...

Old 06-16-20, 11:09 PM   #1328
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Can someone verify this?

I'm in the midst of testing some changes I made to the in-game radio files so as to get the Captain Midnight's CBS NEWS Sound Mod to play nicely with fred8615's KGMB radio mod.

It appears that the "event date" used by the game is the date my current patrol started. Can someone verify this?

Every time I start playing the radio news files that play seem to be based on the slightly wrong date. And they repeat even though other event files should qualify for playing.

It's now January 27 1943 aboard my sub and I keep hearing "the folks back home" are griping about Gasoline rationing being imposed just before the Christmas travel season.

Oddly, I learned a bit about WWII that I'd never heard before...
It seems that the Free French general Henri Giraud was reported by U.S. Radio to have been smuggled out of France by a "U.S. Sub" with the radio reports going so far as to quote the captain about a dunking that the French general took while boarding the sub.

When looking through Wikipedia to get the date of that rescue I learned that the real rescue had been done by the sub HMS Seraph masquerading as "USS Seraph" under the nominal command of American Captain Jerauld Wright. There were no U.S. subs available in the Med at the time the rescue needed to happen.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 11:20 PM   #1329
propbeanie

The game does have a tendency to get audio stuck in its craw, as you've probably witnessed before with "Passing thermal layer" or maybe "Sonar contact, bearing...", or if you've run into an anti-sub net, that "SCREEEE!!!" will play when reloading a Save, or perhaps a torpedo "firing". Same happens with the radio. You will usually get one repeat, and then it should be OK - but not always... Captain Midnight's CBS is a station that has issues, but I cannot remember the date... one of the "events" is out of sequence, and for whatever reason, it rudely crashes the game. A date issue elsewhere in the game is ignored, but not this one... Run Digital_Truckers' RSM (Radio Station Manager) mod on it, and it will find the bad event.

Old 06-17-20, 09:41 AM   #1330
loftyc
Watch

Downloads: 58

Hi All, sorry to interrupt with a different topic;I've got an issue that I originally put in the general section and it was suggested that I try over here; it's that after upgrading to AMD hardware, cpu and gpu, I now have the bow and stern wakes flickering visible through the sub textures. It happens with FotRS, but also vanilla and OM installs as well, which is why I originally didn't put it here. It also happens with any german, japanese, or american sub, in campaign, patrol, or single mission. I tried adjusting the image scaling as suggested in an old post for AMD tweaks, but that didn't do anything. I have noticed, though, that when I initially start, if I'm on the bridge and I pan the camera a bit, I get a "shadow" that matches the initial outline of the hull and bridge structure. I'm afraid I don't know about 'rendering" or 'alpha channels', etc. but something isn't right with the display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2020-06-17_10.05.11_462.jpg (13.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2020-06-17_10.12.40_900.jpg (19.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2020-06-17_10.17.36_668.jpg (21.9 KB, 11 views)
loftyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 03:38 PM   #1331
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233

Quote:
The game does have a tendency to get audio stuck in its craw, ... Run Digital_Truckers' RSM (Radio Station Manager) mod on it, and it will find the bad event.

Thanks for that.

The track in question was 1943-07-25-WorldNewsToday (it had an underscore rather than a hyphen)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 06:15 PM   #1332
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Convoy College area, Dec 1944, heavy fog, medium precip, upgraded to a newly constructed Tench:

Encountered a H/K TF at close range, just in time to dive deep to safety. Radar was operating and there was nothing unusual about the watch.

Several days later, encountered the same TF in identical conditions. Radar first indicated a large group at long range, then flashed the TF at close range. Again, just time to dive deep.

Both times the TF had the drop on us, despite using the standard SJ-1. We were running for home at TC of 3-4k in anticipation of the two-week slog back. Never experienced this behavior prior.
Skipping over a couple posts where we discussed the possibility of this issue stemming from the early Tench upgrade - I rolled back to the last Archerfish patrol and extended it. Same thing happened again, this time with a convoy, in perfect weather during the day.

A large convoy symbol suddenly flashed on the NavMap north of us, just south of Hong Kong, close enough that two of the four merchants could be identified visually. Worse, three escorts were already zeroing in on me, with one only 3800 meters away. Prior to the encounter, the game had dropped out of light TC (1000-1500, probably less) a couple of times with no apparent cause, as if pausing to see if a contact were called for there or some check failed. Radar was otherwise functioning and the watch crew was on station.

I exited the game and restarted the patrol. This time there were two other aircraft contacts en route to the same spot and the Large Group convoy was detected at long range, 30+ km.

I've encountered these TC "stutters" several times in other patrols and for no discernible reason, but have never experienced these inferior radar range issues in any career that I can recall.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 07:48 AM   #1333
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

I have seen the TC 'stutters' in FOTRSU, TMOwtw also.

I usually only run TC up to 1024 in zones, or 1536 in transit. Suddenly drops to 8. I check for ANY contacts anywhere: nothing. Then go back to playing the game.

Doesn't seem to be ship, base, or zone related.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 10:39 AM   #1334
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftyc View Post
Hi All, sorry to interrupt with a different topic;I've got an issue that I originally put in the general section and it was suggested that I try over here; it's that after upgrading to AMD hardware, cpu and gpu, I now have the bow and stern wakes flickering visible through the sub textures. It happens with FotRS, but also vanilla and OM installs as well, which is why I originally didn't put it here. It also happens with any german, japanese, or american sub, in campaign, patrol, or single mission. I tried adjusting the image scaling as suggested in an old post for AMD tweaks, but that didn't do anything. I have noticed, though, that when I initially start, if I'm on the bridge and I pan the camera a bit, I get a "shadow" that matches the initial outline of the hull and bridge structure. I'm afraid I don't know about 'rendering" or 'alpha channels', etc. but something isn't right with the display.
Very strange (to me). The old DirectX v9.0c games can be a bother, especially with the newer hardware. Besides setting up the DPI scaling and possibly having to do the "Compatibility" settings and "Run as administrator", you should also set everything based upon your monitor's "Native" resolution. Windows will show "recommended", as in my Win10 display resolution drop-down for this laptop, it shows "1600 x 900 (Recommended)". On the desktop Win7 shows "1920 x 1080 (recommended)", which are the two different displays' "Native" resolution. Windows will automatically show that. Then in the game itself, on the Main menu and in the Graphic Settings", at the top is the display resolution drop-down, and generally speaking, there should be a similar setting somewhere in the drop-down list. I do not have a newer card or monitor, so I'm not certain about some of the newer, higher-refreshed displays with high resolutions, so you might have to pick a multiple of one, such that if you have a "3840 x 2160" display that does not have a listing, you would then choose the 1920 x 1080, since it is the same ratio. An HDMI cable might also be able to be used, and then settings (in theory) would be automatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
Thanks for that.

The track in question was 1943-07-25-WorldNewsToday (it had an underscore rather than a hyphen)

Quote:
Skipping over a couple posts where we discussed the possibility of this issue stemming from the early Tench upgrade - I rolled back to the last Archerfish patrol and extended it. Same thing happened again, this time with a convoy, in perfect weather during the day.

A large convoy symbol suddenly flashed on the NavMap north of us, just south of Hong Kong, close enough that two of the four merchants could be identified visually. Worse, three escorts were already zeroing in on me, with one only 3800 meters away. Prior to the encounter, the game had dropped out of light TC (1000-1500, probably less) a couple of times with no apparent cause, as if pausing to see if a contact were called for there or some check failed. Radar was otherwise functioning and the watch crew was on station.

I exited the game and restarted the patrol. This time there were two other aircraft contacts en route to the same spot and the Large Group convoy was detected at long range, 30+ km.

I've encountered these TC "stutters" several times in other patrols and for no discernible reason, but have never experienced these inferior radar range issues in any career that I can recall.
The possibility exists that the bad, original "upgrade" may have polluted the Save folder, but I would imagine that just keeping the Improved SJ, and NOT taking the ST would work better. We are in the middle of going through the entire ship list in the game for sound on sonar and conformity, which we will then test. Once through that minefield, I'll get back to trying the ST radar. I do know that prior to CapnScurvy working on it, that it did not work at all, and if you went to use the Observation Periscope with it on it, your view would spin round and round in circles, without Billy Preston singing it for you... - It did function correctly for a time, so I will go back and search through our archives, and try to find when it did function as intended, and try to copy that back, or find what changed and attempt to go back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
I have seen the TC 'stutters' in FOTRSU, TMOwtw also.

I usually only run TC up to 1024 in zones, or 1536 in transit. Suddenly drops to 8. I check for ANY contacts anywhere: nothing. Then go back to playing the game.

Doesn't seem to be ship, base, or zone related.
The main problem with today's "modern" computer and OS, is that the OS is allowed to interrupt old, single-core, single-threaded apps, and especially with Windows 10, where you cannot turn off Windows Updates, and where User Settings are changed without prior notice, you will find that a goodly portion of those "stutters" are actually the computer doing Windows bidding. "Drop what you are doing, and catalog all of the files in the C: drive for the Indexing Service. You haven't done that in at least three minutes! Get to it! When you get done with that, fone home so we can see where the User has been on the i-net. Never forget - 'advertising revenue'!!!"...

Old 06-18-20, 10:40 AM   #1335
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

I have yet to encounter a ijn submarine in FOTRS. Curious, will they show on radar? In TMO etc could never get them to show on radar(not sure why?) Trying to bring enemy subs as a legitimate threat in TMO.The AI enemy sub in tmo is a nice target but always on surface and her deckgun is the threat. I believe can set them submerged but then they are no threat. Want to have it where they show up on SJ radar when on surface and for the AI crew to report the contact and eventually can fire torpedoes.

Also, are the capable of operating submerged? firing submerged? I know the midget sub in tmo is submerged. Just looking for details since have not ran into one yet.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote