Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-07, 02:43 PM   #166
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_o_nn_y
Its the original game. Crashes when loading. Cant even play it. Spent $19.99 on the downloaded version and so im not too happy.
i don't blame you..that's bad news..i can't think of anything of the top of my head as to why....have you tried running the game in windows compatibility mode

right click on the desktop shortcut select properties...then compatibility and try selecting "run this program in compatibility mode for--windows 2000"

that's how i have mine set up...tho having just checked i can't remember why i set it like that...if yours is allready set like that, try adifferent settings

computer games they're allways a pain in the but..you never get this stuff with monopoly or other traditional board games!!! you don't open the box and find the board won't display correctly on your kitchen table lol

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 02:58 PM   #167
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
It would be nice to mod the game with your mods CB, but it never loads for me. Just crashes with an error report when the loading bar goes across the screen. Is there any chance someone could fix this or know how to get round it. Im asking this in this post as Strategy First technical support are useless. Keep wanting me to send DXdiag etc when I have downloaded all updated drivers for graphics cards etc..
Can you post a copy of that error log? :hmm:

I would bet on a missing/corrupt file that causes the crash due to the game's engine inability to find it which seems a possible situation in a download version

Let us track the error...if it is only a missing file we might be able to supply it to you
Old 09-30-07, 06:32 PM   #168
ICR3D
Nub

Default Game Crashes

At first I thougt the 'readme.txt' files in CB's minimods were responsible, but that was coincidental. I experienced random crashes afterwards until I ran SOF under Win2000 compatibilty mode. Program is more stable now.
ICR3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 11:29 PM   #169
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_o_nn_y
Its the original game. Crashes when loading. Cant even play it. Spent $19.99 on the downloaded version and so im not too happy.
Do you have an ATI card? If yes, that's the reason. The game is incompatible with certain ATI cards. Details here, post #3:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102034
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 09:26 AM   #170
ALTEN
Watch

Downloads: 136

Hi all
I would avise anyone buying SOF to buy the boxed version from Strategy Frist, it runs fine for me. I'm using an ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB graphics card.
The german and download versions seem to be a bit troublesome.
This is a great little sim with lots of potential, at the moment it's missing three things,a savegame feature. a relitve bearing indicator for the periscope accurate to 1 degree and some sort of crosshairs for the periscope.
Here's a quick fix, all you need is a 12 inch clear plastic ruler and some Blu-Tack.
Align one edge of the ruler with centre of the periscope view and attach each end to the top and bottom edge or your monitor with the Blu-Tack.
It's a bit Heath Robinson, but better than nothing.
Hey CB keep up the good work I noticed Moby Dick in the textures folder, wonder when he pops up?
ALTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 11:48 AM   #171
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Cheers Alten
good advice..yes i am going to get round to bying the english version of the game sooner or later..(mines the german boxed version)..i still haven't managed to get the realism options to "stick" even when setting them up directly in the parameters.txt...it gives me different realism settings ever time i play the game for some mildly amusing reason best known to itself!! lol..it sounds like they have just done a tiny bit of minor patching on the game for the english version...perhaps?
i certainly don't mind buying the game twice..it's money well spent..

yes moby dick!!! i saw him aswell! haven't found any other reference to him or a model file as yet but there may be something knocking about some where that was designed to have him show up in game from time to time..there's model file of a guy with a beard in a rowing boat in the game aswell...
lol some fun could be had with him i'm sure!..there's even a rather splendid model file of a castle with a small harbour in the game which is waiting to be used

say i think HM (Hitman) said he had made a scope mod with cross hairs on for himself....maybe he might be willing to make it into a mod? i'd be interested aswell
i'm using his excellent manual targeting system to great effect and thoroughly enjoying it too..
i'm still experimenting with the morselamp code work as soon as i've found the most interesting and usefull way to use it in the campaign i'll add it to what i've allready done..eventually of course i will re write the entire campaign from scratch...as all i'm doing right now is messing about trying out different things with the code..even now with the small progress i have made there are some really exciting things that can be done that i haven't worked on as yet...even if some of those are pure eye candy and not much more....lol
i could place a zeppelin over the english coast and have ground based searchlights scanning the skies for it...using the lighthouse "beams" which are usable as seperate entitys and fully controllable as to direction angle movement etc..it's virtually endless!! i need lots of practice to get the code right...other wise it just looks silly....great fun tho picking these things up as you go along..i can't see an end to the possibilities...even with binoculars lol...even using nothing but the small tidbits of code i've learn't so far..hats off to the games devs..they certainly created a wonderfull sand pitt to experiment in...i think it's possible to do "specail missions" also..ala SH4...such as rescueing the crew of a damaged uboat...this by using the morselamp feature to communicate the crews situation to the player...and the dynamic radio message function to guide the player to the crippled uboat in the first place...you then sink it deliberately to prevent it falling into enemy hands and that's objective complete..it's still a little out side my scope at the second..so it would be fairly "clumsy" at first but with practice these thing should get easier to write
i can then have this as a randomised campaign event (as a hidden non compulsory mission objective) so it can be just another part of normal gameplay rather than being a tightly scripted event..if by accident you happen to get within a certain range of the crippled uboat the "event" is triggered and you get the chance to find and "rescue" the crew..if not then you never knew it was there to be done.. making it fairly "dynamic" and a surprise..not central to the gameplay but these things can make for fun gameplay.. .bit of imagination and lots of other similar stuff can be done along the same lines...downed zeppellin in the north sea..spy pick up along the coast..dynamic little events that kinda brings a game to life..

W.B.Yeats

Last edited by CB..; 10-01-07 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 02:08 PM   #172
ALTEN
Watch

Sounds good CB. here's what you need to do to save your realism settings.
After changing your settings click on "Save all settings" on the SETTINGS screen
and then "Yes" on the SAVE SETTINGS screen.
Old 10-01-07, 02:46 PM   #173
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Cheers Again Alten ..i'll certainly double check that

W.B.Yeats
Old 10-01-07, 02:50 PM   #174
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
say i think HM (Hitman) said he had made a scope mod with cross hairs on for himself....maybe he might be willing to make it into a mod? i'd be interested aswell
Yes I did it this summer but then lost the graphic Nothing special, just adding a reticle that is already in the game (Though not implemented) to the Alpha channel of the scope view. I would gladly post the file but as I said, I lost it and before doing it again I was willing to test the exact scope angle of sight, but for that I would need a custom mission and I don't know how to build it. What I need is a ship of 150 metres length (Or any other large length that is known) perpendicular to the submarine's bow at exactly 1000 metres. Having that, I can see how many pixels it covers in the scope and as such, the number of degrees the scope view covers horizontally. Adjusting a reticle later with a mark per degree or half-degree is easy
Old 10-01-07, 02:56 PM   #175
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
What I need is a ship of 150 metres length (Or any other large length that is known) perpendicular to the submarine's bow at exactly 1000 metres
give me an hour and i'll see if i can't knock one up...hopefully the model viewer /musuem section of the game gives the ship dimensions (accurately anyway)

W.B.Yeats
Old 10-01-07, 03:34 PM   #176
CB..
Ace of the Deep

i have no data on the exact ship length but here is the iron duke
exactly 1000 metres dead ahead...side on to your sub

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/SOF/HM1.zip

the mission script replaces the uschule1 training mission

your good at math...would it help if i placed a second iron duke at 500 metres?
let me know if there is any specific ship that would be more helpfull

lol this game is a bit wierd with it's positioning scripts

took me a while to set the sub facing due east....heres the code for due east see if you can make any sense of it cos i can't lol

SimSetDirection [mysim],1.565,0,0

in what universe does 1.565 equate to due East??:hmm: (other than the SOF one of course) lol

here's the code for adding a static ship at 1000 metres distance

CreateServerSimulationObject [ship1],"Iron_Duke"
SimSetPosition [ship1],1000,0,0

you just need to add the name of the ship at the top of the script

id ship1

under the

id mysim

which is the name of the player sub
hope that helps HM...

if you want to change the ship to a different one and fancy having a bash your self...then use the names wrritten into the simulationIDs.txt file
and replace the

with

CreateServerSimulationObject [ship1],"scharnhorst"

or any other ship type listed in the file
(mission script name is on the left)

if you want the ship at 500 metres then change it to this

SimSetPosition [ship1],500,0,0

if you want a second ship then add a new name to the top of the missions script like this

id ship2

and add the new ship like this

CreateServerSimulationObject [ship2],"Iron_Duke"
SimSetPosition [ship2],1000,0,0

the 1000 metres is relative to the player sub in this case...

W.B.Yeats

Last edited by CB..; 10-01-07 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 06:24 AM   #177
ALTEN
Watch

HMS Iron Duke
Length-180m
Beam-28m
Draught-8m
I had look at the game trailer on the SOF website there seems to be a separate
periscope station with reticle and a reticle on the binocular view, strange that these were not implemented in the game.
Old 10-02-07, 04:29 PM   #178
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Cheers Alten..have to wait on HM now..

W.B.Yeats
Old 10-03-07, 07:11 AM   #179
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Got the mission

Provided the Duke is really 180 metres long in the game I might come up with some exact measuring and a good reticle.

Stay tuned, will come back later tonight

Thanks
Old 10-03-07, 07:50 AM   #180
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Cheers HM

W.B.Yeats