SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-22, 11:38 AM   #1336
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Hmm. I have been searching but have not found it..
i sent a PM to sailor steve. hopefully, he will read it and respond.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 11:43 AM   #1337
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hmm. I have been searching but have not found it..
if you have the time, try data/cfg/basic.cfg.
it's a legacy file from SH3 so i am not entirely sure that it is even used by SH4.
change one or more of the values to some outrageous number, go sink some ships and see if it has an effect.

LAA enabled
Old 06-13-22, 02:25 PM   #1338
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Can someone explain the naming convention for merchants in Dark Waters/OM. Example K-MF-M P etc. Quite annoying, always disliked it in OM, confusing and does not seem realistic (is it?) . I am trying to decide what to rename things. Japanese ships were easy, just looked up Maru names and tonnages. I believe Allied merchant fleet is too varied and large , will end up with same ships in every convoy.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 02:58 PM   #1339
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
if you have the time, try data/cfg/basic.cfg.
it's a legacy file from SH3 so i am not entirely sure that it is even used by SH4.
change one or more of the values to some outrageous number, go sink some ships and see if it has an effect.

Hmm looking at it now..referring to this section?

How I am reading thos, if sink a neutral ship -1 renown? but then "Wrongship sunk" is -5000 as is end campaign. Now, in two patrols I sunk three neutral ships..two large tankers on last one so high value,. In the the folders, each vessels .cfg their renown value. I wonder if neutral, that becomes negative renown and perhaps enhanced based on figures in this file and once adds up to -5000, ends career.

If you sink a Axis ship, your own side, you get -10 which will end your career, the number as you is (positive) 1 for Allied.

[RENOWN]
RenownReachGridObjCompleted=500
RenownPatrolGridObjCompleted=200
CompletedPatrol=100
NEUTRAL=-1
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

Hopefully this will work, I don't like having to make there not be neutral ships per history, but given combat conditions in early war, hitting a neutral is inevitable if they are sailing in a convoy.
Old 06-13-22, 03:19 PM   #1340
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:

How I am reading thos, if sink a neutral ship -1 renown? but then "Wrongship sunk" is -5000 as is end campaign. Now, in two patrols I sunk three neutral ships..two large tankers on last one so high value,. In the the folders, each vessels .cfg their renown value. I wonder if neutral, that becomes negative renown and perhaps enhanced based on figures in this file and once adds up to -5000, ends career.

If you sink a Axis ship, your own side, you get -10 which will end your career, the number as you is (positive) 1 for Allied.

[RENOWN]
CompletedPatrol=100
NEUTRAL=-1
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

Hopefully this will work, I don't like having to make there not be neutral ships per history, but given combat conditions in early war, hitting a neutral is inevitable if they are sailing in a convoy.
Don't right off hand, recall the source I found this is from... but, thiiink it may have been in the SH3 side of things... just don't quote Me on that, though...

Players that wish to change it in their files can do so by changing the following element in the Basic.Cfg: (file segment is from stock SH3... but it matters not)

[RENOWN]
CompletedPatrol=100
NEUTRAL=-1
<----Change this value to "0"
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

Changing the above value will remove the penalty for sinking neutrals.

Also, if I recall correctly, neutral tonnage is still added to your total. (feels like cheating to me... to purposefully sink neutrals)

I use it... but... just for the record, I do NOT go out of My way, to track down, hunt & target neutrals... this just minimizes to a degree, the sting if a neutral is sunk, in the course of targeting war enemies...

M. M.
Old 06-13-22, 03:39 PM   #1341
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Don't right off hand, recall the source I found this is from... but, thiiink it may have been in the SH3 side of things... just don't quote Me on that, though...

Players that wish to change it in their files can do so by changing the following element in the Basic.Cfg: (file segment is from stock SH3... but it matters not)

[RENOWN]
CompletedPatrol=100
NEUTRAL=-1
<----Change this value to "0"
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

Changing the above value will remove the penalty for sinking neutrals.

Also, if I recall correctly, neutral tonnage is still added to your total. (feels like cheating to me... to purposefully sink neutrals)

I use it... but... just for the record, I do NOT go out of My way, to track down, hunt & target neutrals... this just minimizes to a degree, the sting if a neutral is sunk, in the course of targeting war enemies...

M. M.

Thanks, I changed it to 0 and about to fire up a patrol.

I do not go out of my way to sink neutrals either, esp if sailing alone. However, if in convoy with hostiles, not really obeying neutrality rules., raises chances of things happeening. For example, one of them I sunk, torpedo missed its intended target, a British vessel, sailed on through two columns then hit a neutral vessel (not sure of country, external cam was off and could not see the flag through the periscope due to smoke and flames. One torpedo caused it to sink.

Then at night, they are in convoy and certainly do not act neutral when try to ram your boat, which I have had happen multiple times during night surface attacks inside convoy, so thus should be no penalty for sinking one.
Old 06-13-22, 05:30 PM   #1342
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Then at night, they are in convoy and certainly do not act neutral when try to ram your boat, which I have had happen multiple times during night surface attacks inside convoy, so thus should be no penalty for sinking one.
YES!!!!

sometimes not even at night.

i am playing in the Pacific at the moment and when i attack one of those 3 merchies plus 1 neutral hospital ship(which is detected as a warship) convoys, the frickin' hospital ship tries to run us down. eff that stuff.

did i read correctly that you are changing both Neutral Ship renown and Wrong Ship renown to zero?

let us know if it makes a difference in your career when you sink one (or more).

LAA enabled
Old 06-13-22, 05:50 PM   #1343
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Can someone explain the naming convention for merchants in Dark Waters/OM. Example K-MF-M P etc. Quite annoying, always disliked it in OM, confusing and does not seem realistic (is it?) . I am trying to decide what to rename things. Japanese ships were easy, just looked up Maru names and tonnages. I believe Allied merchant fleet is too varied and large , will end up with same ships in every convoy.
K=Kingpost, M=Mast, F=Funnel, I forget "P"... It describes the lay-out of the ship, and helps differentiate between similar looking ships. However, you do have to be close enough to tell the difference between a post and a mast... The ONI books were sorted the same way. You had to know the "class" of the ship you were attempting to find first, including its approximate tonnage. That is one reason for the disparity between claimed tonnage, and actual tonnage sunk. Mistaken identity happened all of the time, on both sides, and both sides were constantly changing the looks of their ships, including altering the mast heights and painting funnels...

Quote:

[RENOWN]
CompletedPatrol=100
NEUTRAL=-1 Renown value times (multiplied by) -1 = the negative value of the ship subtracted from your score ie: 500x(-1)=(-500) aka: 500 points removed from your score.
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10 Similarly, only 10x the renown removed ie: 500x(-10)=(-5000) or 5000 renown deducted from your score.
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

When you set the Neutral "modifier" value to 0, it is a 500x0=0 equation... You could set it to 1, and gain full renown, or try 0.5, and maybe get 1/2 the renown... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 06:23 PM   #1344
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
K=Kingpost, M=Mast, F=Funnel, I forget "P"... It describes the lay-out of the ship, and helps differentiate between similar looking ships. However, you do have to be close enough to tell the difference between a post and a mast... The ONI books were sorted the same way. You had to know the "class" of the ship you were attempting to find first, including its approximate tonnage. That is one reason for the disparity between claimed tonnage, and actual tonnage sunk. Mistaken identity happened all of the time, on both sides, and both sides were constantly changing the looks of their ships, including altering the mast heights and painting funnels...

When you set the Neutral "modifier" value to 0, it is a 500x0=0 equation... You could set it to 1, and gain full renown, or try 0.5, and maybe get 1/2 the renown... ??

Okay that makes sense! Thank you for clearing it up.

I will try it, I set the neutral modifier to 0 for now
Old 06-14-22, 11:05 AM   #1345
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
are any of the other parms in Basic.cfg multiplicative?

[RENOWN]
CompletedPatrol=100
;NEUTRAL=-1 Multiplicative value times Ship Renown added to your score. In this case a negative value.
;ALLIED=1 Multiplicative value times Ship Renown
;AXIS=-10 Multiplicative value times Ship Renown added to your score. In this case a negative value.
NEUTRAL=-1
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

LAA enabled
Old 06-14-22, 11:07 AM   #1346
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Something annoying I want to fix.

Seas get quite heavy in the Atlantic, North Sea etc, which is fine, and U Boats rode lower in water, so they swamped easily, I get that. However in the sim, has a annoying habit of considering boat submerged when a large wave swamps the bridge and knocks the player view back to the control room.

This can be fixed, its been fixed in other mods. I am sure now how....

I am thinking the storm conditions in the submarine.cfg file? Or surfaced depth?

Anyways, want to resolve this, immersion killer to be booted back to con every time a large wave hits, which is often in this theater of war.
Old 06-14-22, 02:17 PM   #1347
TheGingerBaron
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Missing Game Files

Ive re downloaed an reinstalled twice yet cant get past loading screen as it says im missing files.
TheGingerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 02:21 PM   #1348
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

You need to use v1.5 of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific (with the U-Boat Missions), and you should not have the game installed in any of the Program Files folders. You must install it in a folder of your own making, such as "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4..." or whatever you want. You also need to use either the 4Gig Patch or Large Address Aware (LAA). Be sure that the DirectX v9.0c and its codecs install when you do the game install. If you are using the Steam version, it usually does that for you without prompting.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 02:52 PM   #1349
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Something annoying I want to fix.

Seas get quite heavy in the Atlantic, North Sea etc, which is fine, and U Boats rode lower in water, so they swamped easily, I get that. However in the sim, has a annoying habit of considering boat submerged when a large wave swamps the bridge and knocks the player view back to the control room.

This can be fixed, its been fixed in other mods. I am sure now how....

I am thinking the storm conditions in the submarine.cfg file? Or surfaced depth?

Anyways, want to resolve this, immersion killer to be booted back to con every time a large wave hits, which is often in this theater of war.
so....what would the change (fix) be? what would be the new behaviour of the Uboat?

LAA enabled
Old 06-14-22, 03:13 PM   #1350
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
so....what would the change (fix) be? what would be the new behaviour of the Uboat?

I am not sure, why I asked lol.

I have theories but have not been able to test yet.

I've noticed when the u boat is swamped by heavy seas the depth reads 8 or 9 meters. In the cfg. file 8 meters is the cut off "surface depth" in which boat is considered submerged, where the player is booted to control room view. I encountered this when changing snorkel depth so could easily flood down to 7.5 meters for surface attack if needed, since clicking depth on the gauge in SH 4 for this does not always work properly.

Thinking if I change the surface depth to 9, 9.5, or even 10 meters may solve the problem. 10 may be too deep not sure yet.