SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-21, 12:13 PM   #1
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Uploads: 0
Default Helmsman's drift

Folks,

I am using the "no sub on map" mod for realistic navigation (cel/DR) and in not using TC at all. A few things:

1-The submarine will drift off course unless a plotted course has been placed on the map.

2-That ruins realistic navigation because the plotted course makes me see where my sub is with an unrealistic gps precision.

Possible workarounds:

1- Plot a course then abandon the games's map and use another pc/laptop with another copy of SH3/4 etc and use that one's map.

2- Find the graphic file for the plotted course and make it transparent but this might affect other tools such as the ruler.

3- Same as option #1 but use Google Earth or any other Nautical Navigation app instead but errors will arise due to the games's map being a flat Earth and corrections must be made in order to have distances and ETA's etc correct. (SH3 GWX Manual explains this further).

4- Find the data (if it exists) in some sort of cfg file or ini file and reduce this drift to zero.

any help is appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 01:53 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_76 View Post
Folks,

I am using the "no sub on map" mod for realistic navigation (cel/DR) and in not using TC at all. A few things:

1-The submarine will drift off course unless a plotted course has been placed on the map.

2-That ruins realistic navigation because the plotted course makes me see where my sub is with an unrealistic gps precision.

Possible workarounds:

1- Plot a course then abandon the games's map and use another pc/laptop with another copy of SH3/4 etc and use that one's map.

2- Find the graphic file for the plotted course and make it transparent but this might affect other tools such as the ruler.

3- Same as option #1 but use Google Earth or any other Nautical Navigation app instead but errors will arise due to the games's map being a flat Earth and corrections must be made in order to have distances and ETA's etc correct. (SH3 GWX Manual explains this further).

4- Find the data (if it exists) in some sort of cfg file or ini file and reduce this drift to zero.

any help is appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have always wanted to try out the celestial navigation dead reckoning in SH 4 but man that has to take months longer than an actual patrol lol. Frequent saves and and a logging of positions outside of the sim in case of CTD etc I am sure.

I'll ask around, hopefully can get this worked out.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 10:06 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When doing manual navigation, I would just set a course, such as "Bring her to bearing 196° True!" "Aye, Cap'n, bearing 196° - Yes sir! Yes sir!", and not bother with the route setting. The helmsman does appear to have a "drift" set in the game's logic though, no matter which method you use. I don't know if they are simulating the human condition, or ocean currents with that, or what... You also have to refrain from using the "Center on sub" short-cut keys.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 02:36 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Would say they are simulating the human condition, & ocean currents with that.

But... that's just My take on that. A combo of what's known of, as human error coupled with tides & current interaction with ships & subs. Not perfectly but.. as you oft say, propbeanie... it is, what it is...

M. M.