SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-11, 03:40 PM   #1
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default Hum from my speakers.

I have an MSI motherboard with realtek onboard sound and I'm getting a hum that comes from my subwoofer. When I first start up the computer I cannot hear the buzz unless I turn the sound all the way up. After the pc has run for a couple of hours it builds up and sometimes gets so loud it overrides the music or game sounds. That overwhelming feedback sound comes and goes. It is not heat related my pc runs nice and cool.

I thought it was a bad subwoofer. I replaced my speakers and the problem was still there. All cables were replaced as well.

Is this a bad sound chip? Will buying a soundcard and disabling onboard sound fix the problem?

If so, please recommend a simple soundcard for windows 7 64 bit. (nothing too pricey keep it simple please.)

Oh...I use a simple good quality 2.1 sound system.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 03:49 PM   #2
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Ground problem?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4154423AAykMxA

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...es/180767.html

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 04:15 PM   #3
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
I have an MSI motherboard...

...a bad sound chip?
The only time I used a MSI board I also found the humming noise... changed asap to Asus again and never had any issues since...

You may however try to disable unused ports, like microphone etc.
Also try unplugging speakers and plug in again in other ports. The board have smartsense plugs, right?

A cheap pci-e soundcard could be an Asus Xonar, but try the above first.

Good luck! and please report outcome, thanks!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 05:00 PM   #4
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post

You may however try to disable unused ports, like microphone etc.
Also try unplugging speakers and plug in again in other ports. The board have smartsense plugs, right?

The speakers will ONLY work plugged into the analog port. I do not know what smartsense plugs are.

@Arclight I will try reversing any two prong plugs when I get some assistance. I AM plugged into a shielded surge protector along with several other components. I will try a separate outlet when I can. I am not hooked up to a television or cablebox like the people in those links.

Old 09-19-11, 09:14 PM   #5
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
The speakers will ONLY work plugged into the analog port. I do not know what smartsense plugs are.
Maybe you know it under it's proper name 'jack sensing' then?

You didn't mention board name, so don't know if yours support it. Anyway, don't like the hum building up over time... but it's not heat, you say?

Did you try disabling not used inputs? And drivers are updated?
Is the humming there, when using other speakers or headphones?
Old 09-19-11, 10:58 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I assume that it is in both speakers? since it builds up I would say that it is unlikely to be a ground loop problem, I would have thought if the speakers were amplified that there was a problem with the built in rectifier or amp!
If not amplified speakers I would guess the on-board output audio chip.
I use a Creative X-fi PCIE sound card, have had no problems with it, very happy!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 01:12 PM   #7
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

It has a powered subwoofer which the two speakers plug into. The hum or feedback does not come out the speakers at all, but from the subwoofer.

I now have the sound system plugged into an extension cord an have run that to a completely different circuit breaker. The faint hum when volume is turned up is still there.

I have disabled all realtek jacks not in use. (At control panel\hardware and sound\sound\manage audio devices.)

Old 09-20-11, 01:19 PM   #8
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Did you try disabling not used inputs? And drivers are updated?
Is the humming there, when using other speakers or headphones?

Yes and yes. I thought my woofer had gone bad so I bought new speakers. I am returning them and going back to my old ones.

I have tried unplugging everything on this electrical circuit not necessary to run the pc, even the monitor.

My house is only 7 years old, so the wiring is up to modern standards.

Old 09-20-11, 01:42 PM   #9
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

MOBO is

MSI 790FX-GD70

Model no. MS-7577

Jack sensing- yes. I plugged an old headset into the front of the tower and they sound clean.

edit...
In researching this feedback problem I stumbled on this entry at Tom's Hardware. Now I don't feel quite as stupid as I did 5 minutes ago. lol

SpamShadow 03-04-2011 at 01:24:52 PM

I just installed an old IDE [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]hard [COLOR=blue !important]disk[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to give myself an extra 300GB (HDDs just lying everywhere, figured I could use the space). For some reason when reading from the drive I can hear it through my speakers. They make a low static-like hum when the drives are being accessed. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks.
Edit: turns out its my Firefox [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]plugins[/COLOR][/COLOR] container that's making the noise. When I bring up the sound mixer its showing that that's where the sound is coming from.
EditEdit: I had a tab with a live feed of an eagles nest open, it was the wind making the sound, wow I'm an idiot, please close/delete this thread, thanks

Last edited by RickC Sniper; 09-20-11 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 05:12 PM   #10
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Don't worry, I've had similar experiences, low hums and vibrations can cause objects to resonate far from where the source is! Glad it's all worked out!

Old 09-20-11, 09:47 PM   #11
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

It is not worked out. That entry from Tom's hardware is an old query from someone and I found his "resolved" humorous.

?????

Old 09-21-11, 06:22 AM   #12
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Sorry about that, on my computer it shows as a total mess, I obviously deciphered it wrongly!, I saw the top bit:
and assumed the link was for Toms hardware and then a large gap before the mess, I just thought that you had some sort of editing glitch!

Old 09-21-11, 06:26 AM   #13
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Are your electrical sockets grounded?

Are you using voltage stabilizer. Failing voltage stabilizer due to a number of reason may be causing it. Try switching voltage stabilizer first to check if this is the case.
Old 09-23-11, 03:57 PM   #14
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Headphones plugged into the front port and the rear port sound clear.

Two powered 2.1 sound systems plugged into the rear port produce that low 60 hz hum from their sub-woofers. This intermittently during the day becomes so loud it overrides any sound coming from music, games, etc. When it becomes this loud unplugging the pc connection and immediately plugging it back in removes the loud feedback....but only for a short time.

Both sound systems plugged into the front port produce crackle and buzz constantly... and there is increased buzzing and whirring (high pitch)from their speakers when the computer is working or booting up and the HD is being accessed. But the low frequency hum is not there at all.

?

Old 09-23-11, 06:12 PM   #15
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

It simply does not compute...

But a few things more... try open property for soundunit and remove driver from there (advanced). Reboot and install latest driver again.

Also, make sure you don't have any transformators/powersupplies close to speaker units and/or powercables running across your datasignal cables.

Oh, and I talk to a friend yesterday. He told me he once had an annoying humming in his subwoofer too. Turned out to be a defect flourescent light starter - took him a loong time to figure out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Besides that I'm blank.
But when you're saying your headphones are fine in all plugs and speakers are not, leads me to say your speakers are defect. Which you proved in a previous post they're not... so yes, I'm blank

reading posts again, it's not clear if you tried your speakers on another pc?

Looking forward to the solution, this is really intriguing...