SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-20, 09:01 PM   #1
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 535
Uploads: 1
Default FotRSU 1.2 Ship Traffic

I'm asking this question here rather than the main thread because it's more informational in nature.

I have about 6 days (game time) in a new career and I'm concerned about the lack of enemy shipping. There really isn't much! I'm in mid '42 and my first 2 patrol areas were the Marshall's and the Gilbert's. I realize the only base that would attract traffic is Wake. Will I need to add the More Campaign Traffic mod?

If anyone from the team could shed some light on the traffic situation, it would be appreciated!

MacGregor
Old 08-24-20, 09:34 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: More campaign traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I'm asking this question here rather than the main thread because it's more informational in nature.

I have about 6 days (game time) in a new career and I'm concerned about the lack of enemy shipping. There really isn't much! I'm in mid '42 and my first 2 patrol areas were the Marshall's and the Gilbert's. I realize the only base that would attract traffic is Wake. Will I need to add the More Campaign Traffic mod?

If anyone from the team could shed some light on the traffic situation, it would be appreciated!

MacGregor
Traffic in the main mod, is toned down a bit, as I recall.. how ever, 1 user of it was not quite satisfied with the traffic as it was.. and through informed info as to where the files were that handled that, came up with a more optional traffic add in to the main mod (if the 'More Campaign Traffic' mod you speak of, is that 1 I mentioned of.. then you have the right 1.. I think... without seeing it 1st hand, is hard to tell...) If that mod you speak of, is the 1 indeed that the other user came up with, then you would install that after the main mod.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 08-24-20, 11:27 PM   #3
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Traffic in the main mod, is toned down a bit, as I recall.. how ever, 1 user of it was not quite satisfied with the traffic as it was.. and through informed info as to where the files were that handled that, came up with a more optional traffic add in to the main mod (if the 'More Campaign Traffic' mod you speak of, is that 1 I mentioned of.. then you have the right 1.. I think... without seeing it 1st hand, is hard to tell...) If that mod you speak of, is the 1 indeed that the other user came up with, then you would install that after the main mod.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
v
This is the mod I'm speaking of: FOTRSU 1.1 - More campaign traffic

I don't know if it's compatible with FotRSU 2.0. It says it's been updated to v2.0 I'm not sure if that has to do with FotRSU 2.0 or the rev roll of the mod itself.
Old 08-25-20, 12:14 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
This is the mod I'm speaking of: FOTRSU 1.1 - More campaign traffic

I don't know if it's compatible with FotRSU 2.0. It says it's been updated to v2.0 I'm not sure if that has to do with FotRSU 2.0 or the rev roll of the mod itself.
FotRsU, has been updated to v1.2, not 2.0 ... and as I know of, the files in 1.2 are still the same as what FotRSU - More Campaign traffic mod uses to do what it does... so yes, it would still be compatible.

I use that very mod in question & have v1.2 of the main mod & no issues...

M. M.

Old 08-25-20, 07:03 AM   #5
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^Aha, that's not quite true old boy, in the Jap_Convoys.mis files there are waypoints added and ships re-named for instance, I know this because I re-edited those files to make them compatible with the Fotrs 1.2 version, it took just over 5 hours to do those 6 files.

I wasn't bothered about editing anything else so I'm just using those 6 convoy files, I don't know what else they've done to the other files but knowing Mr beanie there'll probably be something changed somewhere.
Old 08-25-20, 10:04 AM   #6
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

I'm going to give both a try. The package comes with 2 mods:

FOTRSU_Traffic_and_Contact_Reports_Increased and FOTRSU_Traffic_and_Contact_Reports_like_Stock_Game

I'll report my findings. Quite honestly, 2.0 is kind of boring. I've come across the same lonely British freighter 4 times now.

MacGregor
Old 08-25-20, 12:47 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: More campaign traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
^Aha, that's not quite true old boy, in the Jap_Convoys.mis files there are waypoints added and ships re-named for instance, I know this because I re-edited those files to make them compatible with the Fotrs 1.2 version, it took just over 5 hours to do those 6 files.

I wasn't bothered about editing anything else so I'm just using those 6 convoy files, I don't know what else they've done to the other files but knowing Mr beanie there'll probably be something changed somewhere.

I did say, as I know of.. meaning as far as I know... maybe I did NOT make that distinction well known when I posted My reply.

As it stands, FotRSU (main mod) is v1.2 now...

your mod, I have just found out is now tagged as v2.0, which when I posted.. was NOT aware of. I will say, that I for 1, appreciate the work you put into that mod.. & secondly, that it does work.

The instance that MacGregor pointed out of running into 1 ship more times, is but a small side effect, but I have noticed more traffic than there was with just FotRSU v1.1 or much less v1.2, so that is a good thing.

There is more chance early on in the scenario of the main mod, to actually not be completely bored out of your skull, just boring holes through the simulated waters of the Pacific.

Can't tell you how many hours I spent doing just that with the boredom only broken up by an over active IJN air force, be it land based or sea based.

M. M.

Old 09-01-20, 01:34 PM   #8
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

The addition of the More Campaign Traffic has made a considerable difference! Traffic is roughly doubled! Much of it is out of reach, but that's not the point. Activity is what's important.

Macgregor
Old 09-01-20, 04:47 PM   #9
Moonlight
Admiral

The files I've updated are based upon XenonSurfs FOTRSU_Traffic_and_Contact_Reports_Increased mod which have been updated to make them fully compatible with FotRS 1.2, Jap_Convoys, Jap_Merchants, Jap_TaskForce, Jap_TroopConvoys, all of them right up to the end of the war.

I'm waiting for Mr beanie to upload the small patch he keeps threatening us with to see if there are any changes to the files and then I'll upload it somewhere on the interweb.
Old 09-01-20, 07:04 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

eh... not really a small patch... since there wasn't anything (at the time) known to cause a crash, we weren't too concerned. Of course, after the fact during testing yesterday, I was horrified to have the Narwhal crashing... but anyway, it is what it is... but this will be a new full mod. However, it is (near as we can tell) fully backward compatible, just so long as you do the swap-o-roonie in port. Depending upon what you have encountered, you might get by with doing the mod change while on patrol, and I have done so successfully in three of three attempts, but I had not sunk nor encountered any enemy ships... so I would definitely recommend doing the mod change while in port in the Captain's Office.

Anyway:
42b_Others_CoastalTraffic - Airplane calls
43a_Others_CoastalTraffic - Airplane calls
44a_Others_CoastalTraffic - Airplane calls
44b_Others_CoastalTraffic - Airplane calls
EastAsiaCampaign - added waypoints for group terminations
Jap_Subs_BB - ShinanoRun
Jap_AirCover - AirPort icons
US_AirCover - AirPort icons
US_CoastalBattery - Airplane calls
US_HarborTraffic - Airplane & ship calls
US_NavalBases - Airplane & ship calls

are the campaign files we've altered, and that's it. There might be a few more campaign file changes for the next version, but those changes will likely land in one and only one file, and would not be any of the numbered layer files, so the "more traffic" mods should be safe for a while.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 06:46 AM   #11
Moonlight
Admiral

Right then Mr beanie, the updated FOTRSU_Traffic files are in the link.
https://ufile.io/6jywu0d5