SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-20, 10:59 AM   #886
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

30 years of IPCC assessment reports – How well have they done?

Posted on January 2, 2020 by Clive Best

http://clivebest.com/blog/?p=9252

Quote:
It is normal practice in science that theoretical predictions which fail experimental tests are rejected or at the very least modified. Climate science is different. The news from the latest modelling ensemble CMIP6 is that the new generation of ESMs are even more sensitive to CO2 than the 7 year old CMIP5 models. CMIP6 produces even stronger warming trends in stark contrast to the actual observations! Where is the scientific accountability? Has not climate science perhaps simply merged with climate activism?
Hold on to your hats !

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 02:37 PM   #887
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 08:45 PM   #888
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
wolf_howl15 Global warming is real and it's a danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
I live in Iceland.

If you think there isn't visible and measurable damage being caused here by climate change you'd be wrong. Look at Okjökull.

None of that is changed by a bad storm dumping a lot of snow.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
all you guys should listen to the US Admirals who are complaining about the melting of the ice in the summer up in the Artic allowing more enemy russian subs to sail up there. That causes the admirals ulcers at night.

Listen to the American Admirals and 90 % of the scientists that are not beholding to the Fossil Fuel industry.

I mean in the summer you can see the ice vanishing from the glaciers. What more proof do you need? Open your eyes and look around.

BTW in the winter in the northern hemisphere it's hotter than He(( in the southern hemisphere. Look what is happening down in Australia. It's burning up. If you don't know about the differences in climate in the two hemispheres caused by the tile of the earth's axis and our position in our orbit around the sun then go back to high school science class and learn something.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 09:23 PM   #889
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1am View Post

... Look what is happening down in Australia. It's burning up. If you don't know about the differences in climate in the two hemispheres caused by the tile of the earth's axis and our position in our orbit around the sun then go back to high school science class and learn something.

24 Australians arrested for deliberately setting fires this season
https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=68108272

Old 01-12-20, 06:12 AM   #890
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

The area burned by fires started by arson is miniscule.

Worsening of the bushfire season due to climate change has been predicted since the 80s.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 09:06 AM   #891
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

ya theres been lots of predictions

https://principia-scientific.org/doz...past-80-years/

Quote:
2006: Gore says the world will reach a point of no return (whatever that is) by 2016. It’s now 2019; if we reached a point of no return three years ago, I must have missed it.

2007; He says the Greenland ice cap, which contains 8% of the world’s ice, would be gone
by 2017. The ice cap is now thicker in 2019 than it was in 2007.

2009: He predicted that the Arctic would be ice-free by 2014. Wrong again.

• Now Hansen:

1986: Global temperatures will rise 0.45C by 1997. Even alarmist scientists agree it
was a quarter of that.
1986: The Earth will be 2C warmer by 2006. It wasn’t. Still isn’t.

• And then there’s Prince Charles:

2009: “We have 96 months to alter our behaviour before we risk catastrophic climate change and the unimaginable horror that this would bring”. Well, you don’t get much more graphic than that. 96 months later in 2015, there were few signs of imminent catastrophe, so he moved the goalposts, saying we actually have another 35 years to avert disaster. That would bring us to 2050. In 2050, Charles will be 102. I doubt anyone will be listening to him then, either.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-12-20 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-12-20, 11:49 AM   #892
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

What did AL Gore say?

2006: Gore says the world will reach a point of no return (whatever that is) by 2016.
It’s now 2019; if we reached a point of no return three years ago, I must have missed it.
Seems you missed it, though the exact time maybe debatable it is most probably not reversible now.

2007; He says the Greenland ice cap, which contains 8% of the world’s ice, would be gone by 2017. The ice cap is now thicker in 2019 than it was in 2007. Lie. Which drugs does the OP take? Now thicker?
It seems it has not entirely melted yet alright
https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-po...-fared-in-2019
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-than-in-1990s

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rctic-be-gone/

Quote:
It is important to remember that SMB is always positive at the end of the year – more snow falls on the ice sheet than melts at the surface. But the ice sheet also loses ice by the breaking off, or “calving”, of icebergs and from ocean melting at its edge. Therefore, the extra snowfall is needed in order to compensate for these processes.

Observations collected by the European Space Agency’s Sentinel-2 satellite measure ice velocity of outlet glaciers around the edges of the ice sheet. By measuring how quickly the ice moves into the ocean we can work out how much ice is being lost by calving and ocean melting.

On average between 1986 and 2018, the ice sheet discharges about 462bn tonnes per year. This year our analysis suggests Greenland discharged around 498bn tonnes of ice.

Factoring in these additional processes, we can calculate the total mass budget for the ice sheet for the year. For 2018-19, we estimate the ice sheet has seen a total net ice loss of around 329bn tonnes.
Ah whatever, it's like with the UFOs "i want to believe".

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-12-20 at 11:59 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 12:12 PM   #893
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Ocean temperatures hit record high as rate of heating accelerates

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...g-accelerates?

Quote:
The results show heat increasing at an accelerating rate as greenhouse gases accumulate in the atmosphere. The rate from 1987 to 2019 is four and a half times faster than that from 1955 to 1986. The vast majority of oceans regions are showing an increase in thermal energy.
Old 01-14-20, 07:36 PM   #894
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
What did AL Gore say?

2006: Gore says the world will reach a point of no return (whatever that is) by 2016.
It’s now 2019; if we reached a point of no return three years ago, I must have missed it.
Seems you missed it, though the exact time maybe debatable it is most probably not reversible now.

2007; He says the Greenland ice cap, which contains 8% of the world’s ice, would be gone by 2017. The ice cap is now thicker in 2019 than it was in 2007. Lie. Which drugs does the OP take? Now thicker?
It seems it has not entirely melted yet alright
https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-po...-fared-in-2019
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-than-in-1990s

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rctic-be-gone/

Ah whatever, it's like with the UFOs "i want to believe".

Actually he did make such claims in 2006 while promoting his blockbuster drama and science fiction thriller "An Inconvenient Truth". As chronicled by CBS news. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2006-al...does-sundance/

As for the Gores other predictions about ice caps melting, rising CO2 levels, temperatures, and cats and dogs living together, they were captured forever on the film An Inconvenient Truth.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-14-20 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 06:38 PM   #895
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I guess I was wrong. Gore, The God Father of global warming didn't through any science of his own actually make the prediction he just simply regurgitated what the 'experts' said.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ic...elt-gore-2014/

Old 01-15-20, 07:57 PM   #896
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

2019 Was The 2nd-Hottest Year On Record, According To NASA And NOAA
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/15/79665...-nasa-and-noaa

If 2020 continues this trend, we are in trouble.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 08:07 PM   #897
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Run with it how you may, I'm just posting it here.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51111176

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 08:37 PM   #898
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

^ Look at the date. February 2007. The headline says "We have only 13 years left".

Meanwhile, "climate hysteria" has been declared the evil wicked "anti-word" of the year in German. Whatever such nonsense is worth.

Not nonsense, but rightout dangerous and threatening is the proposal over here to put doubting climate change and giving scientific arguments or even evidence questioning the dogma of explaining it by man's action alone, under severe penalty: financially, and prison. An Orwellian nightmare. And some blokehads in the street demand the existential ruining and expropriating and even slaying of everybody not agreeing with the new holy gospel. A call that is in itself a punishable offense in german law, but if the crime gets wanted for the right reasons, then the law is not being used anymore.

Meanwhile, the German energy producers have given the numbers of statistical analysis of the energy production for 2017-2019, and the projections for 2020-21, the "Bericht zur Leistungsbilanz 2017-2021". In it they list Decembre 17th 2017 as the most diffcult day of the year regarding pressure on the powergrid and supply reserves, due to bad weather conditions: the reserves nevertheless were 42.2 Gigawatts. This includes imports from outside Germany. But in 2019, the average reserve available was just 3.5 Gigawatts. That is the output of roughly 3-4 big powerplants (which the Germans want to set a world record in speed of switching them off - ALL of them: nuclear, coal, gas, everything : just wind and sun and and water and biomass shall do the trick). The average reserve for this year 2020 is porjected to be around just 1 Gigawatt. The projection for next year is - well, it is dark and cold. Its beocming really dan gerous now. Mind you, these values include energy imports already. At the same time another gang of stupid kids has filed charges at the Bundesverfassungsgericht and sue the government for not doing enough to stop CO2 emissions now. Simulataneously the car makers cripple themselves, and the govenrment dreams megalomioaniac fanasies about soon tpo be established electro-mobility, while havign passed plans to punsih households with hundreds up to thousands of Euros per year of not stopping to buy gas or oil for their heating, and using new heating method - that unfortunately is unsuited for adequately replacing and refinancing the enormous costs of buying it first, becasue it would need to fully isolate the house as wlel as ripping the odl hetaign out and outting floor heating in, else the electricty demand goes through the ceiling. These stupid reatrds in the Budnestag do not even lknow the tehcniclaö bakgporudn of this dangerous bull#### they have made law. However, some Bavarianm Green already has had an ingenious solution to this new unwanted problems as well: he wants to destroy 85% of houses in germany within the next ten years or so, and build them, all new from scratch. Greetings from Nero, with love.

At the same time bridges and the railnetwork seirously degrade, and have not enough qualified workers anymore and experts knowing how to do it. In my home town, the waiting time if oyu order a crfatsman for some repair, has raised by a factor of 5-10 in the past couplde of years: no young ones replacing the old ones leaving the job.

In the near future Trump's wish for a cut in German trade surplusses could become true, for the German economy is decided by politics to get ruined and collapsing. And the eU will have a big problem becasue its economic powerhouse is about to shut down. This at a time when Super-Uschi is declaring a "green" deal (propaganda ohrase for planned economy regime) worth 1 trillion (!) Euros, and Gangster-Lagarde makes the ECB an even stronger tool of more plundering for illegal state financing by declaring a "green" polciy chnage in quantitive easing and buying programs by the ECB, which wil turn the Esperanto money notes even more into toilet paper.

The nightmare gets worse and worse. The insanity has become the new normality. Staying healthy and training for fitness means to turn ever more suicidal and insane.

A loony bin.

Bäh.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-15-20 at 08:55 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 09:23 AM   #899
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Run with it how you may, I'm just posting it here.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51111176
Quite worrying for the next generation.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 09:58 PM   #900
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

The earths climate is always changing, often radically. That doesn't mean that the change is caused by humans or if we do contribute what percentage that may be compared to the enormous forces of nature.
August is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, climate change, drought, global warming, hurricanes