Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-14, 04:33 AM   #1
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Julian Assange leaving?

Yeeees!!!! Now this pompous self righteous individual will get his comeuppance. Wonder who will get the first bite at him. USA or Sweden?
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 05:15 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A link?

Quote:
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange says he will leave London's Ecuadorean embassy "soon" after two years' refuge.

He did not clarify when he would depart but said it was "probably not" for the reasons reported by the UK press.

Stories had suggested he was suffering ill-health and required treatment.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28834849

I should imagine Ecuador will be a bit relieved.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 09:05 AM   #3
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44

WikiLeaks spokesperson has told the media:

""What Julian meant is that his plan is to leave as soon as the British government honours its commitment,"

Does anyone know what commitment by the British government he is referring to? I do not recall the government ever making a deal with this low-life.

As it is it has cost the British tax payer over 6 million pounds to make sure he does not slip out the back door.

The WikiLeaks founder spoke of his anger at being stuck in the embassy in an interview with this week's Mail on Sunday, describing how he could not even "keep a pot plant alive for long in here".

"My stubbornness is my best and my worst quality. I won't give up," he told the newspaper.

As we say in South Africa, "ag sies tog"
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 09:25 AM   #4
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

The USA will get him, via Sweden, still that's what you get for making Uncle Sam look bad.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 09:31 AM   #5
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Plain truth is always unwanted.
I just wonder why there is no one who speaks For Assange ?
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 09:36 AM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
It's hard to get people to willingly become targets...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 09:46 AM   #7
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Snowden.

There is. Trouble is, the sheep are the majority.
And corruption runs deep. Very deep.

Transparency.

The sheep just mill around waiting to feed on the crap the governments of this world dish out.

We need more who blow whistles.

Expose expose expose.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 10:23 AM   #8
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner View Post
WikiLeaks spokesperson has told the media:

""What Julian meant is that his plan is to leave as soon as the British government honours its commitment,"

Does anyone know what commitment by the British government he is referring to? I do not recall the government ever making a deal with this low-life.

As it is it has cost the British tax payer over 6 million pounds to make sure he does not slip out the back door.
There do seem to be a lot of mixed signals in that press conference. So his leaving relies on the Police letting him go?

The statement says

Quote:
Quote:
"The plan is for him to leave as soon as the UK government decides to honour its obligations in relation to international agreements and calls off the siege outside - it's as simple as that."
He claims that he'll leave the embassy when the UK police just let him go - but that isn't gong to happen any time soon.

The Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino on the other hand seems to feel Mr. Assange will be remaining in the embassy for a long time to come.

Cry for attention perhaps?
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 04:22 PM   #9
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner View Post
Your dissent should and must not put other peoples lives at risk...particularly when those lives are securing your liberty.

Yes, because the real problem here is that he's leaking information that people deserve to know, not the rape charges

And how are we supposed to know that those people are securing our liberty when governments keep so much from us?

And I think the Americans and French might disagree with you. Their nations are only what they are today because their dissent cost a lot of lives.
Old 08-18-14, 04:08 PM   #10
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Why am I not surprised that no-one has mentioned the real reason Assange wants to avoid going to Sweden. And its nothing to do with being extradited to the US.

If the US wanted him that bad they could just as easily get him extradited from the UK.

He simply didn't want to face a rape charge in Sweden where the rape laws are hard for him to escape at least some embarrassment if not jail time. Nothing more. All the other hubris is simply hot air.

Last edited by TarJak; 08-18-14 at 05:55 PM.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 04:55 PM   #11
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 801
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
He simply didn't want to face a rape charge in Sweden where the tape laws are hard for him to escape at least some embarrassment if not jail time
That's where Sweden's sex laws are all 'up the pole'... it takes two to tango, She wasn't wearing a condom was she ??.

Taking it from that angle, Swedens sex laws are sexist to the extreme, and soon Sweden will be really gay
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 05:58 PM   #12
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Regardless of the stupidity or otherwise of the laws, they remain the laws in that country. Britain has already agreed to his extradition to Sweden for questioning but strangely he's not very keen on going.

Non of the leaks rubbish really has anything to do with him hiding in the embassy for two years.
Old 08-18-14, 07:09 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The very strong indices that the Swedish case is a constructed plot has been repeatedly explained two years ago. And I did that back then, too.

That all that soo fast and so comfortably has been forgotten - or better: gets intentionally ignored again - just illustrates how deep the desire for simple revenge is in many people.

On the Swedish women, their dubious, highly suspicious background also has been pointed out.

Sexual accusations are a formidable tool of diffaming. Support of the crowds is certain - their slobbering mouths as well.

The American operation to minimise any future impacts by Assange by discrediting him and keeping him running, already has achieved its main goal, however: Assange has been seriously isolated from his former support basis, and his resources have been seriously drained, with the man also having personally lost stamina.

I never understood this blind loyalty many people have for their nations, even if it plays foul. To me it is the servility of dogs that do not like to be stripped of their illusions how good and shiny their master is. I do not respoect it one bit. A foul is a foul, even when own team commits it. Assange was the first bringing to the awareness of a very huge crowd the level to which the powers believed to be "good" are playing foul even against their own people. Snowden continued there. Are they heroes? No, and what drives Assange I do not know, I do not like him and somethign about him keeps me alarmed, but I judge his case on the probability of scneairos for the Swedish claims and the importance of what he has achieved with wikileaks. Snowden is different, seems to be a man who maybe was a bit naive, maybe not, but who in the end followed a strong call by his conscience - might it be idealistic or not. Criminals ore "traitors" none of the two are, imo. Just two detemrined people who dared to break a taboo and reveal the dirt under own government's carpets. And the sight of how dirty it is there, indeed is frightening.
Old 08-19-14, 05:51 AM   #14
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I (and this is my personal humble opinion) think that the issue here is that while some countries that infringe on personal freedoms do not really deny it (ie it is accepted as normal within that society), USA (and West in general) appears to follow the ideology that forbids such actions.

And hence there is a conflict between the actions of the security services (however justified by valid and present threats they are) and the ideology held by the state (ie where personal freedoms are quaranteed).

That is how it looks like from where I am in any case.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 08:40 AM   #15
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Interesting radio interview with one of Assange's Australia legal team: http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/triplej/..._2014_8_19.mp3

Ignore the bit about Team Australia. It's simply an embarrassment.

Last edited by TarJak; 08-19-14 at 06:37 PM.