SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-20, 07:18 PM   #286
Strothy
Nub

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I just wanted to leave a quick note for other users who might encounter the same trouble as I had the last two days figuring out why my PC wouldn't run the mod.

I encountered a .dll runtime error with the Sh4.exe, and no matter what I tried to fix it, it just would not run.

After a bit of research and talking to a few gamer friends we came to the conclusion that at some point in the uptime of my system my VC redistribution got corrupted and even reinstalling or using the repair option wouldn't fix it...

So yeah I had to bite the bullet and reinstall Win10, after that It started.

I hadn't reinstalled win10 in almost exactly three years and as said at some point something got so broken that it affected the SH4.exe in some weird way to cause the runtime error...

Now after that little adventure in fixing my setup I can't wait to get huntin again!
Strothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 09:19 PM   #287
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Strothy!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 08:05 AM   #288
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 292

When ever I send a contact report, I get a reply in french?

Is this a bug?

Also, the loading menu still says version is V5?
Old 03-28-20, 09:06 AM   #289
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Fifi the author is French... You could back-off the Dark Waters mod for the time being, then copy the original "Drive: Folder \Game \Data \Campaign \CampaignGE \DynamicMiss" folder and make yourself a little add-on mod by pasting that folder into one you create in "MODS", like "DynMissEng \Data \Campaigns \CampaignGE \ (DynamicMiss \)". Then activate your "DynMissEng" mod on top of Fifi's Dark Waters mod.

I'm not certain of the splash screen designation, but I do remember him missing that in one of the updates... If I get to the other computer later today, I'll see what mine says, unless Fifi or someone else beats me to it!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 09:13 AM   #290
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Yes the screen says V5, though it is V6! (Forgot to update it at last update, sorry)
Anyway V5 is not available anymore in download, so no doubt for you.

As for the French messages, i don’t understand why you can get them
I don’t even know where the contact report replies are!

Maybe Propbeanie could tell what happened...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 09:27 AM   #291
propbeanie

The Contact Reports come through the DynamicMiss folder's "ContactReport 01" through "ContacrReport 102" folders' files, and are routed based upon the Campaign or CampaignGE folder's DynamicMiss(GE).cfg file's parameters for the "AllMatch" and associated lines, as well as how many torpedoes and how much fuel you have left. The DynamicMiss file is one of the best-documented portions of the game (";" comments at the top of the text file), though there really is little that can truly be done with it... The first 20 sections (generally, mod dependent) of the DynamicMiss file are the ones that do the routing to the various folders & files in the DynamicMiss folder structure. You can add specific files for specific situations, though it is tedious at best - and "testing" changes there can be a real nightmare, to say the least...

Old 03-28-20, 01:21 PM   #292
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Two more bugs, the Figi Class Light Cruisers deck texture is broken.

When a message is sent directally to my sub, it says it is from "ComSubPac" which is wrong, it should be from Bdu.

also quick thing, Is there mods to make harbours more detailed?
Old 03-28-20, 02:40 PM   #293
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Another thing I have found is that the G7e T2 torpedo is way way way more reliable then real life, never had depth problems with it or magnetic failures, only twice has it done a full circle and hit my own sub which I have never heard of happening in real life. (only the Mk14 did it in america iirc) and the times it has bounced off it my fault. bad angle, wrong depth etc.. but if my shot is perfect it will always work. though I have had premature explosions but that is just stock game RNG.
Old 03-28-20, 02:47 PM   #294
Fifi
Navy Seal

No mod is perfect
Old 03-28-20, 03:04 PM   #295
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
No mod is perfect

Don't get me wrong, this mod is amazing, I see so much more where is can improve. Constructive Criticism in away.
Old 03-28-20, 04:19 PM   #296
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Icon14

Mr. Fifi,

I've been gone a long time, so I know that I am very late to say so, but congratulations on the release of your Dark Waters Mod. I know how hard it is to overcome big obstacles to make big things happen. For what little it may be worth coming from an old modder.... WELL DONE, SIR! You have much reason to be proud.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 04:43 PM   #297
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by succerpunch View Post
Don't get me wrong, this mod is amazing, I see so much more where is can improve. Constructive Criticism in away.
No problem mate i know there is still to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Mr. Fifi,

I've been gone a long time, so I know that I am very late to say so, but congratulations on the release of your Dark Waters Mod. I know how hard it is to overcome big obstacles to make big things happen. For what little it may be worth coming from an old modder.... WELL DONE, SIR! You have much reason to be proud.

Thank you sir for your kind words!
Even though i spent so many month to achieve this (with Propbeanie S7rikeback and KaleunMarco help), biggest work still remain Lurker one for his OM mod
Old 03-28-20, 04:49 PM   #298
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

You forgot me! Will my help was just a little bit.

Old 03-28-20, 08:25 PM   #299
Strothy
Nub

Downloads: 23

I have a question or rather something that seems fishy...

Sometimes it happens that I need like 30-40+ rounds of HE or AP from the deck gun to sink a single previously torpedoed merchant, which in the case of AP should result in a Swiss cheese-like merchant. Now today I met a rather resilient merchant who refused to sink no matter what.

The question now is am I ****ing up? Or is this a bug of some kind?
I'm almost always trying to aim for the waterline with AP and then HE to get the BBQ going. Ship in Question was... ehh nah IT IS a KS-M-KS-M-F-M-KS-M Merchant.

The Merchant took a single G7a (G39a) almost perfect to the midship, followed by ~ 60 HE and ~ 30 AP rounds, still afloat...
Those guys must have the best damage control on the Planet, I mean the guys on the USS Franklin (CV-13) were good, but they ain't got **** on this ship's crew.

(I'll try ramming maybe a Type VIIB to the broadside make a big enough hole to sink it )
Strothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 09:01 PM   #300
propbeanie

Negatory skipper - the submarine should only be used as a battering ram in the strictest of emergencies, as a last-course of action - only to be used just prior to your passing...

But seriously, you are dealing with the OM with OMEGU versions of most of those vessels, just converted over by Fifi for Dark Waters, and as such, they can be difficult to sink. It takes some of them longer to sink than if they had one of the ship sinking models applied to them at double-strength... Once most of the gunwales go beneath the waves, you should "see" the ship-sunk icon on your NavMap. You do have to stay in the area to receive credit for the sinking though. I'll just about guarantee you though, that if you put another torp into her, it'll be 10x what you need...