SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-23-19, 06:54 AM   #1
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Help?! my mods be broke! Gahhhhh!!!!

so i dont actually know if this where to put this but hopefully help finds me regardless
So my issue, my mods simply aren't working the only things working is working is GWX and it's attached mods (least i think they work) all other mods which i have spent hours finnicking with so that i can enable them through the very simple platform jsgme...well i thought it was easy until my mods just didnt work i cant name them all because there's a few and my phones keyboard is arse
Point is they're all jsgme compatible (allegedly) and im certain i got them all right
Put them into named folders in the MODS folder
Didnt work and found out i needed to extract the rar.files (i accepted that it was my bad)
Still didnt work so i went into the named folders and removed the data out of the extra folder so when i went into my named folder the data folder was what was seen not a midground folder named after the mod
So then i assumed! Finally the mods will work! Only to be met with dissapointment yet again it never CTD'd! Not once i must point out! it just didnt work and i knew it didnt because one mod in paticular (an optics mod) didnt show in game i was just left with the standard optics that fire a torpedo everytime i click out of the periscope camera thing.
Now i'm completely pissed off because this should be working! I dont understand how it's not working! My tiny little brain cant code bugger all so im completely baffled.
I dont like going to forums for help to be honest, i prefer to try fix it on my own, why? I dont actually know, for some reason i find it shameful that i couldn't fix it, but in this case i just cba because as of right now all i want to do is sail into the atlantic with my mods that all combined will give me an awesome experience, until i can get my mods working that isin't gonna happen, so surely some of you kaleuns that are a bit more tech savvy could explain why nothing is working despite the fact that it should be? I would appreciate assistance to save more hair pulls
Hunter.R.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 09:25 AM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

A quick way to check.

When you have downloaded the game to the settings level, do Alt + Tab and see if the files contained in the installed mod have changed. And did your SH3Commander automatically replace files? in this case, look for files in it.
Old 12-23-19, 09:32 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community & Wishing You A Merry Christmas > Hunter.R.H
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

What type of intallation do you have, DVD, download, STEAM?

What is your games installation path?

Please post your mod list
JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post > Pictorial

Which additional mods are not in JSGME?

Quote:
i went into the named folders and removed the data out of the extra folder
Not sure what your reasoning is behind this!

JSGME works by a named forder\data folder.
So infact you could make up a new folder with a name of your choice and drop the data folder into it and put it in JSGME and it would work.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 11:05 AM   #4
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360
Default Folders within Folders

Back aways, I had problems with newly downloaded, unzipped, mods installed into JSME not working.

I then found out that when I unzipped the mods the unzipping program automatically created a mod folder within another folder of the same name. You need to extract the folder with in the folder and put that into JSME and delete the now empty folder.

The folder in JSME should now look like "X Mod Name" open that folder and a "Data" (or whatever) Folder will be there. The mod shall now work.

I hope that makes sense.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-19, 11:50 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Hunter R.H.! and stay off that really little N.Z. island!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-19, 12:04 AM   #6
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
A quick way to check.

When you have downloaded the game to the settings level, do Alt + Tab and see if the files contained in the installed mod have changed. And did your SH3Commander automatically replace files? in this case, look for files in it.
im a bit unsure what you mean by this, what i do know is i don't have SH3Commander, would this a requirement?
Old 12-24-19, 12:09 AM   #7
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community & Wishing You A Merry Christmas > Hunter.R.H
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

So infact you could make up a new folder with a name of your choice and drop the data folder into it and put it in JSGME and it would work.
Thank you for the welcome
my copy is steam so the path would be C:Program files 86x/steam/steamapps/common/Silent Hunter lll
with the further pathway /MODS to stuff going into JSGME
as for my mod list i shall see about getting that brought up after i respond to the fellow kaleuns coming to save teh day
Old 12-24-19, 12:16 AM   #8
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David I View Post
Back aways, I had problems with newly downloaded, unzipped, mods installed into JSME not working.

I then found out that when I unzipped the mods the unzipping program automatically created a mod folder within another folder of the same name. You need to extract the folder with in the folder and put that into JSME and delete the now empty folder.

The folder in JSME should now look like "X Mod Name" open that folder and a "Data" (or whatever) Folder will be there. The mod shall now work.

I hope that makes sense.

David I
i believe that is what happened in one of my attempts, i extracted it into a folder of my own name to find it was already in a folder, hence i took the data out of said folder, unfortunately to no effect
Old 12-24-19, 12:18 AM   #9
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[SIZE=3
Not sure what your reasoning is behind this![/SIZE]
David I pretty much summed it up
Old 12-24-19, 12:23 AM   #10
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Hunter R.H.! and stay off that really little N.Z. island!
Old 12-24-19, 12:30 AM   #11
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Default Mod List!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter.R.H View Post
my copy is steam so the path would be C:Program files 86x/steam/steamapps/common/Silent Hunter lll
as for my mod list i shall see about getting that brought up after i respond to the fellow kaleuns coming to save teh day
wouldn't let me copy to clipboard so i copy pasted off notepad
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Alternative Flotillas
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX - Main movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
Anti-Stretch
Hitman Optics
Improved damage texture
Improved deck gun sounds
NewInterior
No Jawhol
SH5 water for SH3
Speed dials voice mod
Spirit of machines

hopefully this list pings something that can solve the isssues
Old 12-24-19, 12:32 AM   #12
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:

you can find the mod list down the thread
Old 12-24-19, 03:38 AM   #13
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi HRH
GWX installs JSGME with its mods collection so you know that will work.
The problem you will have is if you start your game from STEAM it will update your game and cause problems so it is important to convert your game away from STEAM.
STEAM > A Comprehensive Guide To Installing > By propbeanie
Adding a bunch of mods without knowing the outcome of such actions is always going to be a bit dodgy.
You are at best should only add one or two at a time and check that there are no problems and they are doing what they should be doing.
It may well be that adding mods to your game because you like the sound of what they can do may not be compatible with GWX.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-19, 05:11 AM   #14
Hunter.R.H
Watch

Quote:
Hi HRH
GWX installs JSGME with its mods collection so you know that will work.
The problem you will have is if you start your game from STEAM it will update your game and cause problems so it is important to convert your game away from STEAM.
STEAM > A Comprehensive Guide To Installing > By propbeanie
Adding a bunch of mods without knowing the outcome of such actions is always going to be a bit dodgy.
You are at best should only add one or two at a time and check that there are no problems and they are doing what they should be doing.
It may well be that adding mods to your game because you like the sound of what they can do may not be compatible with GWX.
Peter
i always open sh3 with the little shortcut GWX makes, figured tapping on the regular steam one wouldn't work
i admit that i may have been a bit excessive with mod downloads but is suspect many of them are only not working because i misunderstood the instructions some of them (majorly sound mods) did not require JSGME activation they infact required to be placed in the sh3 sound directory
although i have yet to test whether it will yield results i also changed some mod selections around, supposedly the big interior mod was not compatible with GWX open hatches i must've overlooked the read me's as i had spent all day getting GWX installed (turned out it was the wrong install path) so i was quite tired, i underestimate how much i overlook when tired
Old 12-24-19, 07:07 AM   #15
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter.R.H View Post
That is not a good place to install a Silent Hunter game to, and then apply mods. The "Program Files" is a protected Windows "system" folder. As such, it will not allow changes that do not come through an "authorized" interface. Both JSGME and sh3.exe were written prior to the dawn of the use of User Access Control (UAC) in Windows. All *.cfg and several other file extensions are "rolled-back" to their original state of install, while others like the *.dds file are left alone. This results in a mix of components in your SH3 folders.

The way to avoid that is to install Silent Hunter III in a different folder. If you have no other Steam games, a re-install is probably the easy way to proceed. Use JSGME and de-activate all of your mods. Copy or move your MODS folder for safekeeping, and then use Steam to uninstall Silent Hunter III. Steam has an article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games in their Knowledge Base that can help. If you have a usable 2nd hard drive or partition (a Restore partition is NOT usable), or a fast external drive, you might be able to use the Steam option of adding another Library folder, which is easier to deal with. If not, then you'll have to do the "Move" method, which takes longer, but is easy enough also. Steam can stay in the Program Files folders, but the game cannot. All methods of moving a Steam game though will eat up a chunk of your time. Once you have the game moved though, it should take and keep mods fine.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote